Return flight dilemma about obtaining Non-O when wanting to return to Thailand from another country.

Hi All,

I was a teacher in Thailand between 2005 and 2021 residing in Thailand the whole time. Last year I left to persue a job in Egypt where I am currently. Now I wish to return having completed my contract and return to my wife in Thailand. My previous school in Thailand dealt with all of the paperwork for all of the years I lived there - so I actually don't have a great deal of experience in obtaining my visa in order to go back there. Having read through what I require in order to obtain a Marriage Visa, it appers that I must apply for a Non-O here in Egypt, and then convert it to a Marriage visa sometime after arriving in Thailand.

My dilemma is: having read the info required by the Thai Embassy in the application for the Non-O, I must have a RETURN flight with a return date, however, I left Thailand last year with a flight paid for by my current employer which was a return flight from Bangkok to Cairo - so now I only have a single flight ticket to return to Bkk and not a return ticket to leave the Kingdom of Thailand. Any advice on what I should do here is appreciated.

• Like 1

The current Thai Pass does not require proof of ticket or even booking (I just did it). Hotel booking for day 1 and covid insurance min. 20k USD for 30 days required. 

I would suggest you apply for a non-O visa at the embassy and then check with the airline if and what additional documentation they require to let you board the plane. Your marriage certificate might be enough. Or the 3 month visa might be enough. Once in Thailand deposit the 400k THB in a bank account on your name (not your wife's, no joint account) then after 2 months apply for extension of stay based on marriage. 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for taking the time to give advice.

I did not know that I could arrive Visa exempt and obtain the Non-O in Thailand - everything I read in the forums suggested that I needed to obtain the Non-O here in Egypt before entering Thailand. I do have a marriage certificate and I do have the Egyptian residence card...... so would it be easier to get the Non-O here before arrival, giving me 90 days to sort out my marriage visa in Thailand, or just arrive Visa exept, get a Non-O in Thailand and then convert it to Marriage Visa there? I do have 400k in my own Thai account from when I was there previously.

Thanks for any further advice.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RabCNesbitt said:

Thinking your best option is to just enter visa exempt. 

As previously pointed out....that 30 day entry can be extended by 30 days. 1900 baht.

Hopefully by then you can do a border run to buy more time for your marriage and subsequent non O based on marriage.

Then you 12 month extension.

Good luck. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, RabCNesbitt said:

I did not know that I could arrive Visa exempt and obtain the Non-O in Thailand - everything I read in the forums suggested that I needed to obtain the Non-O here in Egypt before entering Thailand. 

I've read the same. Pretty confusing as outdated info is left posted on official Thai websites. Here's a notice in RED on the Thai Embassy in Washington DC's site today; https://thaiembdc.org/visas/

Attention:Per the regulation, the Embassy "can not" issue a visa for foreign nationals who are currently in Thailand. All travelers need to obtain a visa before entering Thailand.

Edited by ding
add link

4 minutes ago, ding said:

I've read the same. Pretty confusing as outdated info is left posted on official Thai websites. Here's a notice in RED on the Thai Embassy in Washington DC's site today; https://thaiembdc.org/visas/

Attention:Per the regulation, the Embassy "can not" issue a visa for foreign nationals who are currently in Thailand. All travelers need to obtain a visa before entering Thailand.

The non O is issued by Thai immigration inside Thailand. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

The non O is issued by Thai immigration inside Thailand. 

Thanks Dr Jack54. So beyond all the stuff on Royal Thai websites it's not required to get a non-imm O visa before coming to Thailand. Got it, that's new info to me.

I was worried about timing my application submission and ubonjoe told me, The non-o visa will be valid for entry for 3 months from the date of issue. The 90 days will not start until the day you enter Thailand.”

The DC site says all Americans must use the eVisa site to apply. So I used that for direction. 

"All visa applications must be submit through the e-Visa portal (https://thaievisa.go.th/)."

Then... on the eVisa site, "Visa applicants are suggested to submit application at least 15 working days prior to the intended travelling date to Thailand."  https://www.thaievisa.go.th/non-immigrant-o

Then this, It is highly recommend to apply for a visa around one month before your intend travel date

https://thaiembdc.org/2021/06/14/faq_visacoe/

Edited by ding
format clarity
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, ding said:

So beyond all the stuff on Royal Thai websites it's not required to get a non-imm O visa before coming to Thailand. Got it, that's new info to me

That's correct.

Also as uj clarified for you that if you obtain your non O prior to travel upon arrival you will be stamped in for 90 days. 

• Like 1

There is no marriage visa.  The non immigrant O visa is used for marriage one year extensions of stay.  So if you can obtain from Embassy that saves 2,000 baht and provides a 90 day entry and once here you just need to extend your stay before that 90 days expires (or 150 days if you obtain a 60 day extension to visit wife).   Extensions cost 1,900 baht and for marriage will require 400k in your bank account for 2 months (so want to take care of that deposit soon after arrival).  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Also as uj clarified for you that if you obtain your non O prior to travel upon arrival you will be stamped in for 90 days. 

Yes, so when I get it while in my home country I have 90 days to get to Thailand to use it for entry, then 90 days in-country to get my 1 year extension of stay.

Not going to wait until I'm there in my case, just more breathing room ...

Edited by ding

9 hours ago, RabCNesbitt said:

Thanks everyone for taking the time to give advice.

I did not know that I could arrive Visa exempt and obtain the Non-O in Thailand - everything I read in the forums suggested that I needed to obtain the Non-O here in Egypt before entering Thailand. I do have a marriage certificate and I do have the Egyptian residence card...... so would it be easier to get the Non-O here before arrival, giving me 90 days to sort out my marriage visa in Thailand, or just arrive Visa exept, get a Non-O in Thailand and then convert it to Marriage Visa there? I do have 400k in my own Thai account from when I was there previously.

The Egyptian Embassy are wrong to ask for a return ticket from all applicants. It would appear that they focus on all applicants returning to Egypt.

This is in contrast to the UK embassy that provides guidance for those looking to stay in Thailand long term.

It would certainly be in your interest to get the Non O before entering Thailand.

I am assuming from your name that you are a UK national so an option that may be worth looking at is to apply to London for the visa. The process is online and the visa is issued by email so there is no longer the need to submit passport. I think they ask for proof of residence in the UK but I seem to remember that for people with a UK passport that could be skipped over. Good luck.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sandyf said:

The Egyptian Embassy are wrong to ask for a return ticket from all applicants. It would appear that they focus on all applicants returning to Egypt.

This is in contrast to the UK embassy that provides guidance for those looking to stay in Thailand long term.

It would certainly be in your interest to get the Non O before entering Thailand.

I am assuming from your name that you are a UK national so an option that may be worth looking at is to apply to London for the visa. The process is online and the visa is issued by email so there is no longer the need to submit passport. I think they ask for proof of residence in the UK but I seem to remember that for people with a UK passport that could be skipped over. Good luck.

Thanks Sandyf,

Where would I apply for the onlie visa? I am a UK national - do you know the website?

Cheers.

I want to ask Ubon Joe about my problem obtaining satisfactory health insurance at 77 years for re-entry.  I have a Non-O recently renewed 1 year Visa based on 800K in the bank method.  I want to go back to the UK in May month and return to Thailand in August. this year.  I am hesitating to apply for re-entry permit which will require me to have valid insurance for $20,000 USD up to 31st January, 2023.

Should I let the Non-O lapse by foregoing re-entry permits and enter back on 30 day Visa-exempt then reapply for Non-O Retirement during the 30 days or is that too messy.    I will continue to leave the 800K in the bank untouched. Thanks in anticipation.

31 minutes ago, Postmaster said:

I want to ask Ubon Joe about my problem obtaining satisfactory health insurance at 77 years for re-entry.  I have a Non-O recently renewed 1 year Visa based on 800K in the bank method.  I want to go back to the UK in May month and return to Thailand in August. this year.  I am hesitating to apply for re-entry permit which will require me to have valid insurance for $20,000 USD up to 31st January, 2023.

You will only need 30 days of insurance to apply for the Thailand Pass and enter the country. Many people used 30 days without a problem.

Here is  insurance you can get up to the age of 85. https://tqm-app.com/static/thailandpass/detail-ta-fwdgi.html

Ubon Joe.  Thank you as always very helpful. So I will apply for that insurance for 30 days prior to re-entering Thailand and pay for my Re-entry stamps as normal as in previous years at Immigration to maintain my annual Non-O retirement stamp. If I have that wrong then please let me know otherwise thank you very much.

33 minutes ago, Postmaster said:

So I will apply for that insurance for 30 days prior to re-entering Thailand and pay for my Re-entry stamps as normal as in previous years at Immigration to maintain my annual Non-O retirement

That is correct.

You will alos have to apply for a Thailand Pass to enter the country.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/4/2022 at 11:35 AM, BritTim said:

If you enter with a tourist visa or visa exempt, you can apply for a Non O visa at Immigration in Thailand. This will give you a fresh 90-day permission to stay as of the date your visa application is accepted.

Once you are on a Non Immigrant permission to stay (the Non O visa being the most common mechanism for getting one) you can then apply for a one-year extension of your permission to stay to live with your Thai wife. This has some requirements that need to be met, such as some financial proof and documentation showing your marriage is genuine.

Hi BritTim,

I am filling in the Non-O A online application at the moment, however, they are asking for many docs including financial evidence (of minimum £10,000 in my account), marriage certificate (which I have), a letter of invitation from my wife, hotel booking info and proof that we are still together(?) I think it is because I am applying to the UK Thai site (because I am a UK citizen) but I reside in Egypt until my current contract ends in June and will fly to Thailand directly from here. I haven't submitted the application yet - it is the final page of the online application that won't allow me to click the 'done' tab until I provide all of those docs.

You have suggested that it is possible to enter Thailand on a 'Visa exempt' for 30 days and while there, I can get my Non-O in Thailand. However, I have read that it is not possible to get the Non-O while in Thailand (it must be obtained from outside of Thailand). Could you verify that I can get the Non-O once I'm there? It would save me a lot of hassle here, just arriving Visa exempt. Thanks in advance.

9 minutes ago, RabCNesbitt said:

You have suggested that it is possible to enter Thailand on a 'Visa exempt' for 30 days and while there, I can get my Non-O in Thailand. However, I have read that it is not possible to get the Non-O while in Thailand (it must be obtained from outside of Thailand). Could you verify that I can get the Non-O once I'm there? It would save me a lot of hassle here, just arriving Visa exempt. Thanks in advance

@BritTim has given the correct advice and imo best in your situation. 

You can obtain your non O after TV or visa exempt entry.

Your TV or visa exempt can be extended by 30 days if you need more time to organize after arrival. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RabCNesbitt said:

Could you verify that I can get the Non-O once I'm there? It would save me a lot of hassle here, just arriving Visa exempt. Thanks in advance.

I can confirm with 100% certainty that this is possible. Further, the Non O-A visa is not so attractive nowadays (apart from a somewhat complicated application process) because of insurance requirements that are not always satisfied by excellent international policies.

The main challenge with the Non O application in Thailand is opening a bank account, and transferring in the 800,000 baht (retirement) or 400,000 baht (marriage) from abroad that is a requirement. The application must be done with at least 15 days left on the permission to stay from your tourist (including visa exempt) entry. Apart from that, it is usually very easy. If the extra bank deposit amount (retirement) is easy for you, that makes future extensions even easier.

Edited by BritTim