International arrivals in Thailand increase after restriction easing

webfact

6 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Was it because of the not needed PCR test at departure or is it because people are coming for coming Songkran holidays??? I guess it is the last one...

The last one is also a non-event.

58 minutes ago, fransb said:

We landed at Suvarnabhumi last night at 7 PM. It was not busy at all. Maybe a few hundred people arriving on 3-4 flights and yet the organization of getting everyone to their respective hotels was a mess. There are only 5 desks for hundreds of SHA+ hotels. This is the biggest bottleneck. I don’t want to imagine it getting any busier with this system. You can’t have thousands of tourists standing around waiting in the already too small arrivals area.

There was 1000 of tourists standing around at the immigration booths before Covid.....

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, 86Tiger said:

Ding, ding ding.  We have a winner.

Any thinking person knowing there is soon to be a change in requirements will postpone couple or even few weeks to arrive under the new "scheme."  It is only prudent.

I disagree somewhat? Most people book their flights way in advance, to take advantage of cheaper prices, especially with the limited service offered by airlines at present? Most will also resist paying for a fully flexible ticket, which means it will cost more to change the ticket than the pre-flight PCR itself?

TBH, whilst there is still any form of testing on arrival, I’ll still be taking a pre-flight PCR. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

the number of inbound flights has also increased.

I am sure there would be many more (if fully vaccinated) if one could get a visa on arrival instead of all the pre-flight hassle of a "Thailand Pass" and no test on arrival!!!

• Like 2

My Father passed away last night in the UK. I desperately wanted to go and see him before he died, but my funds are limited, and the extra costs of quarantine and PCR test on arrival, and the very high risk of testing positive on arrival, with the subsequent mandatory extra 10 days minimum quarantine in expensive hotel/hospital made that impossible. 

I didn't get the chance to see my Father before he died, solely because of the mandatory quarantine. 

I am beside myself with grief.

And Prayut is to blame!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

41 minutes ago, Terry2905 said:

My Father passed away last night in the UK. I desperately wanted to go and see him before he died, but my funds are limited, and the extra costs of quarantine and PCR test on arrival, and the very high risk of testing positive on arrival, with the subsequent mandatory extra 10 days minimum quarantine in expensive hotel/hospital made that impossible. 

I didn't get the chance to see my Father before he died, solely because of the mandatory quarantine. 

I am beside myself with grief.

And Prayut is to blame!

Those requirements were in place for a short while and were all removed some time ago.

• Confused 2

6 hours ago, Sheryl said:

To really have a sustained rise in numbers they will need to drop T&G/Thailand Pass altogether.

Dropping the quarantine for unvaxed would also help. We all know by now that vaxed and unvaxed people can get infected and infect others. The only argument now is the length of infecting period. Many countries around the world have realized it and pose no restrictions on healthy people, vaccinated it not

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, SmartyMarty said:

12,000 a day paying through the nose for useless and unnecessary covid insurance. What a scam!

By most instances, life is a scam.

Whattaya gonna do.....

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Last week the Airport was the busiest I’ve seen it in two years....  at departures (on the 5 occasions I’ve exited)....  So.. does that mean every one is suddenly leaving ????

Of course - its a normal increase in activity as Covid restrictions ease world wide, as the fear of covid drops and as company travel increases, as tourism increases - general activity. 

The pre-flight PCR thing... that may have made some delay their flight by a week or so and re-book, otherwise I do not see how the removal of a pre-flight PCR test has or will make any difference. 

Once the very thin veneer of these announcements is scratched the only real improvement in ’tourist’ arrivals will only be noticed once any Thailand Pass requirements are totally abolished. 

Precisely, getting a pre-flight test is not difficult in the UK (although costly @ £100+) and is hardly the deterrent that is presented by the remaining demands for Thai Pass.

• Confused 1

32 minutes ago, alphonse said:

Precisely, getting a pre-flight test is not difficult in the UK (although costly @ £100+) and is hardly the deterrent that is presented by the remaining demands for Thai Pass.

Pre-flight test is £20 for anti-gen and £50 for PCR. Slightly more expensive for same day result but less than £80 can be found. You can check the price from Express Test by Cignpost, they are based in Heathrow airport terminal so supposed to be expensive ones. Their price is very reasonable, and there are discount code available online to further reduce the cost.

9 hours ago, Willy Wombat said:

So a lot of people decided to go to Thailand all of a sudden just because they didn't need a pcr before leaving ?

I call fubar.

What do you expect, they believe in their own fairy tales.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, khunjeff said:

"If the tests are positive they will have to be treated."

This sounds kind of like a threat. Isn't normal medical practice to treat people who have symptoms, rather than everyone with a positive test result?

I dun thinking that removing the pre-flight test allows for the capture and containment of many positive on arrival soles, at fair and only slightly above market price forced accommodations.  With the pre-flight test in place these soles would have had to remain at home and would have been unable to share a portion of their bank savings with our local hotel/taxi/hospital operators. 

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Last week the Airport was the busiest I’ve seen it in two years....  at departures (on the 5 occasions I’ve exited)....  So.. does that mean every one is suddenly leaving ????

Of course - its a normal increase in activity as Covid restrictions ease world wide, as the fear of covid drops and as company travel increases, as tourism increases - general activity. 

The pre-flight PCR thing... that may have made some delay their flight by a week or so and re-book, otherwise I do not see how the removal of a pre-flight PCR test has or will make any difference. 

Once the very thin veneer of these announcements is scratched the only real improvement in ’tourist’ arrivals will only be noticed once any Thailand Pass requirements are totally abolished. 

Cancellation of pre flight pcr tests can make quite a savings for a family I would think but if testing positive in Bangkok and sent to hospital , that could be a financial nightmare . Indeed what would happen if the bill could not be paid ? Cannot rely on the insurance companies who we all know are all too happy to assist .

• Like 2