Globally we are entering a very fragile state: is Asia ready?

webfact

3 hours ago, naka dia said:

When American bombs hit civilians we all find out about it and the responsible people will be held accountable.

And to those of you who "dont care about Russians and Ukrainians killing eachother" - If you would have been around 80 years ago with that same attitude and it would have gone your way, you might still live in a Nazi-run world with Nazi Germany in charge.

1. You're joking right?

2. I invoke Godwin's Law ....... you lose.

Edited by BritManToo

On 4/5/2022 at 7:36 AM, wombat said:

We're the Arab countries not Sovereign States or was that somehow different because it was all about the oil?

If you take Iraq as an example it had used chemical weapons and committed human rights abuses over many years although those had been ignored for some time. In Afghanistan girls and women gained significant rights after the Taliban were removed but then they were abandoned. 

Ok may well be a significant issue in some cases but its quite difficult to live without it. The anti war demos we saw over Iraq, Afghanistan ect probably couldn't have happened without it. 

These things are never clear cut but I don't think we should just allow the killing, torturing, rape etc of innocent men, women and children because of something the West did that we don't agree with 20, 30, 50, 100, 200 years ago. 

2 hours ago, timkeen08 said:

There are many States in America that have North Atlantic coastlines, look at a map first before you try to belittle the USA (...)

I did nothing like that. The only thing I did, was commenting on the passage, saying that 'Thailand does not want to upset its NATO allies' . Obviously, Thailand is not a NATO member, does not border NATO members, and is not allied with NATO as an organisation. And while Thailand is allied to the U.S. (which happens to be a NATO member), these U.S.-Thai relations have, reportedly, been strained for years. (And no, I don't blame the U.S.)

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Why do you feel it's important to do things like that?

Always amazed about what some people consider are important freedoms.

While totally missing what's really important in day to day living.

What are these day to day freedoms that Chinese people are enjoying while British people are not? Can you give a few examples?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, candide said:

What are these day to day freedoms that Chinese people are enjoying while British people are not? Can you give a few examples?

First tell me when you were last in China?

Edited by BritManToo

18 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

First tell me when you were last in China?

Pre-Covid I've been spending around one month a year there, during around 10 years

Edited by candide
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

The right to setup roadside stalls, sell street food, build homes on land they own.

Marry/live with a woman without giving her their home/savings/pension.

The right to not be shot by a policeman at random (mainly a problem in the USA).

The only restriction on my freedom (I found) in China was I had to show my passport to buy a rail ticket.

Does the phrase "big brother" mean anything to you?

China's 'social credit' system ranks citizens and punishes them with throttled internet speeds and flight bans if the Communist Party deems them untrustworthy

China has been rolling out a system that ranks its citizens based on their "social credit."
People can be punished if they drive badly, buy too many video games, or steal.
It's not a unified, nationwide system, but China plans on eventually making it mandatory for everyone.

https://www.businessinsider.com/china-social-credit-system-punishments-and-rewards-explained-2018-4

And you know that police brutality is not a problem in China because the Chinese media is free to report on it?

China: Torture and forced confessions rampant amid systematic trampling of lawyers’ rights

China’s criminal justice system is still heavily reliant on forced confessions obtained through torture and ill-treatment, with lawyers who persist in raising claims of abuse often threatened, harassed, or even detained and tortured themselves, Amnesty International said in a new report released today.

The report, No End in Sight, documents how criminal justice reforms hailed as human rights advances by the Chinese government have in reality done little to change the deep-rooted practice of torturing suspects to extract forced confessions. Attempts by defence lawyers to raise or investigate torture claims continue to be systematically thwarted by police, prosecutors and the courts.

https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/news/2015/11/china-torture-forced-confession/

https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/news/2015/11/china-torture-forced-confession/

Beijing city authorities reject calls to let roadside stalls return, saying they are ‘unsuitable’ for city

• Premier Li Keqiang had touted the ‘vendor economy’ as a way of helping the post-coronavirus recovery, but municipal authorities say this does not fit their plans
  • Editorial in local party mouthpiece says allowing ‘unhygienic and uncivilised’ features of urban life would undermine efforts to improve the capital

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/society/article/3087932/beijing-city-authorities-rejects-calls-allow-roadside-stalls

Edited by placeholder

41 minutes ago, Mr Derek said:

Unbelievably naive and misinformed. You don't even mention the Donbass which is what this war is all about.

Hell need not be unleashed on anyone. Ukraine simply had to do the decent thing - let the Donbass, which is majority-Russian, have a referendum as to whether to stay part of Ukraine or become independent. Any decent human being would agree with that in principle, right? But Ukraine wouldn't. Instead, they have waged a brutal civil war of oppression against the Russians in Donbass for the last eight years. You should read up about it. If you believe in democracy, you should believe in the right of the majority-Russians in the Donbass to choose their own status and not be forced to be a part of another country which is oppressing them.

So do you believe in democracy or not?  Everyone who is supporting Ukraine on the assumption that they are innocent victims needs to answer that question. If yes, then you must also believe Ukraine is in the wrong and the primary cause for this war. If no, then you are aligned with a fascist country with arbitrary borders that has got itself into this mess through nothing other than nationalist pride.

By your logic, the South should have been allowed to vote on whether to secede from the US.

And it's dubious that the majority of residents of Donbass and Luhansk even consider themselves to be primarily Russian

https://theconversation.com/most-people-in-separatist-held-areas-of-donbas-prefer-reintegration-with-ukraine-new-survey-124849

And your claim that the Ukrainians have been waging a brutal war of suppression against ethnic Russians in these regions is false. Basically, Russian disinformation.

https://theconversation.com/putins-claims-that-ukraine-is-committing-genocide-are-baseless-but-not-unprecedented-177511

And given the respective levels of freedom in Russia and Ukraine before the Russian invasion, your characterization of Ukraine as fascist is ludicrous.

Edited by placeholder
  • Like 2

On 4/5/2022 at 5:46 AM, Tom H said:

„..few months fragile?…“

Think again! It will be a Decade!

A decade? Who wants to see what this world looks like in a decade? People's brains are shrinking... it is cold and rainy in hot season, ok a blessing there until you can buy beachfront land in Ayuthaya... Miami, NYC, Bkk - reduced to photos and memories...

Swing Low, Sweet Chariot... 

3 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

I did nothing like that. The only thing I did, was commenting on the passage, saying that 'Thailand does not want to upset its NATO allies' . Obviously, Thailand is not a NATO member, does not border NATO members, and is not allied with NATO as an organisation. And while Thailand is allied to the U.S. (which happens to be a NATO member), these U.S.-Thai relations have, reportedly, been strained for years. (And no, I don't blame the U.S.)

I disagree and I will leave it at that.  My opinion.

20 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Always amazed about what some people consider are important freedoms.

While totally missing what's really important in day to day living.

more like this you mean?

Baby you can drive my car
Yes I'm gonna be a star
Baby you can drive my car
And maybe I'll love you

I told the girl that my prospects were good
She said baby, "It's understood
Working for peanuts is all very fine
But I can show you a better time"

On 4/5/2022 at 4:00 PM, Lacessit said:

Perhaps you should be telling Australia that, it is in the process of signing a very large trade agreement with India, and also is the venue of choice for many young Indians seeking tertiary qualifications.

AFAIK India is still a democracy, it sides with Russia because the majority of its military hardware is sourced from there. Although given the performance of Russian equipment in Ukraine, it should be having second thoughts.

A democracy? Sort of. But well on the way to becoming an authoritarian government that rules through force and the manipulation of the machinery of democracy.  One of the things the US can do to force India's hand is remove American support for India becoming a permanent member of the UN Security Council, which India absolutely craves.  

Under Modi, dissent has been systematically and successfully crushed through an authoritarian mix of draconian legislation and state machinery. Activists and critics are regularly jailed under terrorism laws, civil society groups have been hounded and shut down and protests are repeatedly met with force.  https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/nov/19/the-strongman-blinks-why-narendra-modi-has-backed-down-to-farmers

On 4/5/2022 at 6:28 AM, zzaa09 said:

And if such similar references are repeated often and loud enough it will become true and real. 

Nothing to be said towards the legitimate instigators of all our woes. 

????????

Poor Post Talking in Riddles yet gets multiple likes & no negative emoji ? Can anyone explain this ? Or are standards here dropping with apparent new members ?

” ….true & real” requires FACT not being “ repeated”. 
What “ similar references”?

What “ instigators” ? 

“….. all or woes” ? Seriously? No element of personal responsibility?

3 hours ago, Mr Derek said:

Unbelievably naive and misinformed. You don't even mention the Donbass which is what this war is all about.

Hell need not be unleashed on anyone. Ukraine simply had to do the decent thing - let the Donbass, which is majority-Russian, have a referendum as to whether to stay part of Ukraine or become independent. Any decent human being would agree with that in principle, right? But Ukraine wouldn't. Instead, they have waged a brutal civil war of oppression against the Russians in Donbass for the last eight years. You should read up about it. If you believe in democracy, you should believe in the right of the majority-Russians in the Donbass to choose their own status and not be forced to be a part of another country which is oppressing them.

So do you believe in democracy or not?  Everyone who is supporting Ukraine on the assumption that they are innocent victims needs to answer that question. If yes, then you must also believe Ukraine is in the wrong and the primary cause for this war. If no, then you are aligned with a fascist country with arbitrary borders that has got itself into this mess through nothing other than nationalist pride.

It can't be about the Donbass because the Russians have exclusively held that since 2014. There has been no brutal war against the Donbass because the Russians have controlled it. If Russia had a problem with Ukraine they could have raised in in the UN General Assembly or the ICC instead of going to war. If they did raise in in the UN it obviously fell on deaf ears as not being true. There was no justification for a general invasion of Ukraine over the Donbass and certainly none for commission of major war crimes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

A democracy? Sort of. But well on the way to becoming an authoritarian government that rules through force and the manipulation of the machinery of democracy.  One of the things the US can do to force India's hand is remove American support for India becoming a permanent member of the UN Security Council, which India absolutely craves.  

Manipulation of the machinery of democracy is done in most of them. Check out Australia's use of taxpayer money to fund a Liberal advertising campaign, or the pork-barrelling of electorates in marginal seats.

If you have other versions, I'm listening.

22 hours ago, candide said:

Freedom from Immigration?

Probably freedom from 'woke' too!

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

"but also many innocent Russian citizens too."

While i applaud those Russian citizens standing up to Putin's lies and being arrested for it, i cant help be remember the quote by the French Philippines and diplomate Joseph de Maistre (1811)

"Every country has the government it deserves."
If you turn to other cheek to evil, dont be surprised when you get stabbed in the back

Edited by Cracker2000

23 minutes ago, Cracker2000 said:

"but also many innocent Russian citizens too."

While i applaud those Russian citizens standing up to Putin's lies and being arrested for it, i cant help be remember the quote by the French Philippines and diplomate Joseph de Maistre (1811)

"Every country has the government it deserves."
If you turn to other cheek to evil, dont be surprised when you get stabbed in the back

That de Maistre fellow sounds like a right smug b@$+ard.