Nearly 34,000 Vehicles Sold at 43rd Bangkok Motor Show

webfact

778461a1103de3737891936184bfa9c1_small.jpg

by Paul Rujopakarn

BANGKOK (NNT) - Organizers of the 43rd Bangkok International Motor Show say the event saw a total of 33,936 orders placed by the time it concluded on Sunday (3 Apr).

Jaturon Komolmit, chief of operations of Grand Prix International (GPI), which organized the show at BITEC Bangna, said bookings increased by 13.6 percent compared to last year’s motor show.

He indicated that the figures translated to better performance for participating vehicle manufacturers.

Citing data from the event, Jaturon said nearly 32,000 of the vehicles sold were cars while the remaining 2,000 were motorcycles.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

Additionally, he pointed out that about 1,500 - or 10% - of the purchased cars were electric vehicles (EVs), which he said was a satisfactory figure.

The GPI chief acknowledged that economic hardship stemming from the global pandemic and the ongoing war in Ukraine had significantly diminished public spending power.

Nevertheless, he said it was a positive sign to see so many carmakers now manufacturing EVs, with more than 20 different electric models presented in this year’s event. Jaturon also attributed the increased interest to the government’s policy of promoting EVs through various incentives.

nnt.jpg
-- © Copyright NNT 2022-04-05

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

2 hours ago, PJPom said:

34,000 more debts, it amazes me how many people with insecure employment can ride around in the latest pickup when they live in a shack, priorities seem strange to me.

Obviously it's what you drive is seen as a statue symbol, not where you live or what you live in  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PJPom said:

34,000 more debts, it amazes me how many people with insecure employment can ride around in the latest pickup when they live in a shack, priorities seem strange to me.

As someone told me recently.
Nobody sees where I live but they see me, driving my car everyday.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PJPom said:

Since 4.3 million have NPL's now , 34,000 might not make too much difference - or could be the straw for the camels back, etc

5 hours ago, webfact said:

saw a total of 33,936 orders placed

Is this good news? Would 100,000 orders or a million orders be better?

Don't we have enough cars on the streets already?

Imagine news like: This year only 3,456 people bought new cars because they had to replace their old cars. But 100,000 people bough 1 year tickets for the MRTA or something like this.

Wouldn't that kind of news be a lot better?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, pokerface1 said:

Obviously it's what you drive is seen as a statue symbol, not where you live or what you live in  

Which obviously makes a lot of sense. After all, you bring your car to the office and not your house. ???? 

• Like 2

The amount of people that believe that they need to impress their friends and family with a new car/Ute when they go up country is amazing. One of my employers bought a top of the range Ute at a show to go home with a new motorbike on the back and now want me to help pay off because he’s broke and doesn’t want to loose face. If his girlfriend didn’t shop on line with continuous deliveries maybe he could survive.

Now I see where the house hold dept is so high. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PJPom said:

34,000 with money to spend... the Hi-so's annual shopping spree to look good in public.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

1,500 or 10% were EV … did you miss that?

I think the reporter needs a course in arithmetic.  32,000 cars were sold according to the article with 1,500 being EVs.  According to my calculations that’s 4.7%, not 10%

• Like 1

1 hour ago, statman78 said:

I think the reporter needs a course in arithmetic.  32,000 cars were sold according to the article with 1,500 being EVs.  According to my calculations that’s 4.7%, not 10%

That may well be. I was only pointing out the quote of TVs being sold in response to a post that the there was a lack of TVs sold ... continuing with a political attack.

11 hours ago, wwest5829 said:

That may well be. I was only pointing out the quote of TVs being sold in response to a post that the there was a lack of TVs sold ... continuing with a political attack.

Why were they selling televisions at the motor show?

On 4/5/2022 at 4:05 PM, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

usually this show is around november. i attended it once and liked it a lot.

many expensive cars, like bentley that cost over 1 million dollar !!

There are two motor shows - the Motor Expo is November and the recent International Motor show.