In Thailand, the war in Ukraine divides the generations

webfact

2 hours ago, Saanim said:

Effective in August 2012, a new law on regional languages entitled any local language spoken by at least a 10 percent minority be declared official within that area.[329] Russian was within weeks of being declared as a regional language in several southern and eastern oblasts (provinces) and cities.[330] Russian could then be used in the administrative office work and documents of these cities'/oblasts'.[331][332]

On 23 February 2014, following the Revolution of Dignity, the Ukrainian Parliament voted to repeal the law on regional languages, making Ukrainian the sole state language at all levels; however, the repeal was not signed by acting President Turchynov or by President Poroshenko.[333][334][335] In February 2019, the law allowing for official use of regional languages was found unconstitutional.[336] According to the Council of Europe, this act fails to achieve fair protection of the linguistic rights of minorities.[337]

---

Ukraine's 2017 education law bars primary education in public schools in grade five and up in any language but Ukrainian.[344][345] The Unian reported that "A ban on the use of cultural products, namely movies, books, songs, etc., in the Russian language in the public has been introduced" in the Lviv Oblast in September 2018.[346]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukraine

However, the Wiki does not say all. 

APRIL 25, 20194:53 PMUPDATED 3 YEARS AGO

Ukraine passes language law, irritating president-elect and Russia

By Pavel Polityuk

4 MIN READ

KIEV (Reuters) - Ukraine’s parliament approved a law on Thursday that grants special status to the Ukrainian language and makes it mandatory for public sector workers, a move Russia described as divisive and said discriminated against Russian-speakers.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-ukraine-parliament-language-idUSKCN1S111N

8 minutes ago, JetsetBkk said:

By Pavel Polityuk

4 MIN READ

KIEV (Reuters) - Ukraine’s parliament approved a law on Thursday that grants special status to the Ukrainian language and makes it mandatory for public sector workers, a move Russia described as divisive and said discriminated against Russian-speakers.

Did you present this as some kind of justification for the invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Ukrainians hate Russia, why is this so hard to understand?

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Did you present this as some kind of justification for the invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Ukrainians hate Russia, why is this so hard to understand?

"The law, which obliges all citizens to know the Ukrainian language and makes it a mandatory requirement for civil servants, soldiers, doctors, and teachers, was championed by outgoing President Petro Poroshenko."

So the 17% of Ukrainians - who are Russians - have to speak Ukrainian or they can't get a job as civil servants, soldiers, doctors, and teachers.

Yeah, no problem there.  ????

• Like 2

20 hours ago, TropicalGuy said:

Deal in facts & cease deflecting from & defending subject evil. Russians have “ demonized” and enslaved themselves and acted with authoritarian savagery for their entire 1000 year history.

Biologically “ like us” but so are Gorillas. Emotionally, No, very far from western enlightened & rational democratic thought& actions,

The phrase you were looking for is 'abject evil'. And to me, abject evil is hating an entire civilisation and comparing them to gorillas. That's what fascists do to make their minions not feel bad when they are exterminating them.

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:

By Pavel Polityuk

4 MIN READ

Fine. Complain all you want, but do so from the confines of your own territory. You have plenty of it.

And do something proactive like offering Russian speakers citizenship of the Russian Federation. If they aren't happy in Ukraine, then at least they are free to leave.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, TropicalGuy said:

Avid Student of History, Geography & Politics…..????????just telling it as it is. 
would certainly run off with their knockout wives ????my Thai lady hates them as does everybody I reckon.????I mean what’s not to hate about them ? ???? just one thing …one.????????

Sorry, bud. I don't hate them other than the gangsters running the place. Had loads of good Aeroflot flights to Thailand back in the day...

• Like 1

On 4/6/2022 at 11:04 AM, webfact said:

Among the young there is a strong desire to stand by Ukrainians, while older conservatives describe Russia as a longstanding friend

Kinda similar to the Chinese invasion of Tibet. Most older Americans couldn't have cared less as they didn't know where it even was and had trade agreements with the Chinese. Much the same if you are in rural Isaan, Ukraine is a world away. 

Personally, as a Thai, this war has nothing to do with me. Neither sides are clean and they should be left to sort it out themselves. I certainly don't want the Thai government joining the woke brigade and joining wars that have nothing to do with them. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Kinda similar to the Chinese invasion of Tibet. Most older Americans couldn't have cared less as they didn't know where it even was and had trade agreements with the Chinese. Much the same if you are in rural Isaan, Ukraine is a world away. 

Personally, as a Thai, this war has nothing to do with me. Neither sides are clean and they should be left to sort it out themselves. I certainly don't want the Thai government joining the woke brigade and joining wars that have nothing to do with them. 

You're advocating people shouldn't care about human rights abuses or war crimes? You mentioned two countries which have suffered egregious violations.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ozimoron said:

You're advocating people shouldn't care about human rights abuses or war crimes? You mentioned two countries which have suffered egregious violations.

When young, I supported the Tibetan govt in exile, even meeting HH the Dalai Lama in India. 

The Ukraine/Russia conflict is nothing similar. The world has turned woke, I can't say how I feel. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

24 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

I think they're identical. A foreign country does a land grab by force. You're use of the word "woke" makes it difficult to take your intention to debate in good faith seriously.

You missed my point. It was to with wars in faraway countries.

Did European countries get involved with Vietnam/Cambodia, for example? Did faraway countries get involved when the British invaded 178 of the world's 200 countries? 

2 hours ago, baboon said:

Sorry, bud. I don't hate them other than the gangsters running the place. Had loads of good Aeroflot flights to Thailand back in the day...

Seriously... the reviews I read and the people I met here, kept me on Emirates/Qatar or Etihad!

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

You missed my point. It was to with wars in faraway countries.

Did European countries get involved with Vietnam/Cambodia, for example? Did faraway countries get involved when the British invaded 178 of the world's 200 countries? 

Thailand did get involved in the Vietnam War. The early European colonial empires were essentially competitors in carving the world up.

1 hour ago, Saanim said:
  On 4/7/2022 at 12:46 PM, TropicalGuy said:

Deal in facts & cease deflecting from & defending subject evil. Russians have “ demonized” and enslaved themselves and acted with authoritarian savagery for their entire 1000 year history.

Interesting how the international community (depending who is that?) change their view on "Russians":

Years ago, the "Russians" were all the people under USSR, we did not make any difference whether real Russians or Belorussians or Georgians or Mongolians nor Ukrainians.

When they were raping during WWII, they were Russians only, never Ukrainians, even if the world (and the international community) had known that the Ukrainians were the only nationality with their army committing  along Wehrmacht heinous atrocities on Polish and Jewish population.

Suddenly, within the last 20 years (actually, 8 years) only the real Russians are "demonized", savages, evils, they are the ones committing the heinous crimes.

Interesting, how the world has been changing, and its population as well... 

The USSR was never "Russia". It's off topic to discuss how many German women were raped by Russian soldiers at the end of WW2 but suffice to say it was more than "all sides did it".

12 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Thailand did get involved in the Vietnam War. The early European colonial empires were essentially competitors in carving the world up.

The Korean War, too...

• Like 1

you guys are very smart and your blah blah is top notch, no doubt about it. but could you open your eyes wider. how many civilians were killed in just 45 damn days in ukrainian places. and how many families have lost everything, including housing and future.and you know that it doesn't matter who started it, it's more important who can stop it as soon as possible. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, placeholder said:

What utter nonsense. Who in the west is calling for Russians to be ethnically cleansed? You're confused. It's the Russian Govt and its supporters who have been talking about massive, largescale brutal punishments for the majority of Ukrainians, soldiers and civilians.  Thanks to the Russian news services, the majority of Russians believe that the Ukrainian govt, military, and a large proportion of ethnic Ukrainians are Nazis.  Do you believe that the Ukrainian government is a Nazi government? That the Ukrainian military is a Nazi organization? That a large proportion of Ukrainians are Nazis?   In the Ukraine, ethnic Russian Ukrainians citizens are fighting alongside ethnic Ukrainians. I've seen no threats by the Ukrainian govt or its spokesmen or its supporters impugning the patriotism of ethnic Russians or proposing plans to carry out ethnic cleansing against Russians. Stop making things up. You're just frothing. You've got nothing.

Not only people with brain have got a second thought after the history of Ukraine Nazi organization, also some parliaments where the daily show are  being presented. 

For instance yesterday in Greece where the parliamentarians were outraged when Zelenskyy introduced them a Greek who joined the Azov regiment. 

https://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2022-04-07/azov-fighter-video-overshadows-zelenskiys-address-to-greek-lawmakers

https://www.euractiv.com/section/europe-s-east/news/zelenskyy-speech-at-greek-parliament-overshadowed-by-azov-video/

• Confused 2