Does Thailand allow work permit with syphilis?

One of the my colleagues suffered from Syphilis since 2019. All medical cure are done and recovery. But when he always check n test medical exam,Syphils result is always positive with 1 Dilution. He got job and will go to Thailand with work permit. Thailand allows or not?

Ive had numerous work permits and none had a check for syphilis requirement.

I think the requirement is dependent of the employment.

working at a school = Yes.

Engineer at a steel works = No.

Edited by Ralf001

1 hour ago, sanmyintmaung said:

W

Only requirement for work permit is free from stage 3 Syphilis. Stage 3 Syphilis is a late stage when open sores observable on all over the body.

1 hour ago, Ralf001 said:

Ive had numerous work permits and none had a check for syphilis requirement.

I think the requirement is dependent of the employment.

working at a school = Yes.

Engineer at a steel works = No.

working at IT consulting firm= yes or no?

4 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

What medical certificate ?

All my work permits have been BOI 2yr permits.

I have BOI 1 yr permits. I had to provide a medical certificate for the first one, and syphilis was one of the conditions on it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sanmyintmaung said:

W

Only requirement for work permit is free from stage 3 Syphilis. Stage 3 Syphilis is a late stage when open sores observable on all over the body.

the result is with 1 Dilution even after 3 years. Stage is no stage at all. will they check and accept or not?

38 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

I have BOI 1 yr permits. I had to provide a medical certificate for the first one, and syphilis was one of the conditions on it.

Interesting mine have always been 2yr, wonder why the medical for 1yr ?

1 hour ago, Bright EM said:

so syphilis is positive, they can't accept right?

There are at least seven completely different testing methods for syphilis. Those that are easiest and cheapest (notably VDRL) are not specific to syphilis, and other conditions (notably a recent Covid-19 vaccination) can result in a false positive. If one of the treponemal (specific to syphilis) tests, such as TPPA is positive, especially if over six months since completion of treatment, then it is likely that latent syphilis is still present.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

What medical certificate ?

All my work permits have been BOI 2yr permits.

So were mine (BOI), but 1 year.  And I always had to go to the Soi 11 clinic, pay the nice lady 400 baht, let her draw some blood, say hi to the doctor and get a certificate that attested to the fact that I didn't have syphilis. 

I'm sure some companies fake the medical certificate for their employees without even bothering them with the minutia.

Edited by impulse

7 hours ago, impulse said:

So were mine (BOI), but 1 year.  And I always had to go to the Soi 11 clinic, pay the nice lady 400 baht, let her draw some blood, say hi to the doctor and get a certificate that attested to the fact that I didn't have syphilis. 

I'm sure some companies fake the medical certificate for their employees without even bothering them with the minutia.

Whilst I have no doubt some companies fake documents not sure the one I currently work and the 2 previous would engage in such activities.

Either that or I hit the trifecta !!

15 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Whilst I have no doubt some companies fake documents not sure the one I currently work and the 2 previous would engage in such activities.

Either that or I hit the trifecta !!

My body shop (employment agency) always came to the One Stop with a ream of documents that I never even got to see.  Didn't want to see.  Didn't need to see.  They just told me what time to show up and where, where to sit, when to stand, and what to sign.  It was great.  They did ask me to get a Soi 11 medical cert, but I have no doubt they could have conjured one up if I had resisted.

Edit:  Getting back to the OP's question, it's Stage 3 syphilis they're looking for.  If you don't have body parts rotting off, I'm pretty sure it's okay.

Edited by impulse

13 hours ago, Bright EM said:

the result is with 1 Dilution even after 3 years. Stage is no stage at all. will they check and accept or not?

If your friend's condition has not reached stage 3 yet, he will be accepted even if tested positive. Stage 3 is very obvious with open sores all over the body so doctors can easily verify without doing any blood test.

Edited by sanmyintmaung
  • Thanks 2

When in Thailand go to a local, private clinic. Ask if the Doctor will sign your medical form for a work permit. 

Many will do so without even taking any tests. Some will ask to see you, check you are breathing and have a heart beat and then sign your form.

If the first one you go to says they must take tests, move on to the next one. I had work permits, teaching, for 21 consecutive years. Only once did the doctor even bother to check my chest with a Stethoscope  and take my blood pressure.

At one clinic I used to go to the doctor would sign a bunch of forms and leave them with a receptionist. Hand over passport and 100 baht and she would complete them. Half the time the doctor was not even there.

• Like 1

So is the OP worried about working near this guy or swimming in  possibly the same waters?  The dreaded S is on the physical for immagration into the US.   I have no knowledge about the stages or anything on this feared condition. 

47 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

When in Thailand go to a local, private clinic. Ask if the Doctor will sign your medical form for a work permit. 

Many will do so without even taking any tests. Some will ask to see you, check you are breathing and have a heart beat and then sign your form.

If the first one you go to says they must take tests, move on to the next one. I had work permits, teaching, for 21 consecutive years. Only once did the doctor even bother to check my chest with a Stethoscope  and take my blood pressure.

At one clinic I used to go to the doctor would sign a bunch of forms and leave them with a receptionist. Hand over passport and 100 baht and she would complete them. Half the time the doctor was not even there.

Yes, that's how it works. I wouldn't go round saying "I have syphilis"!

• Thanks 2

21 hours ago, Polar Bear said:

I never had a medical for a BOI permit in IT (in Bangkok).

Edited by FritsSikkink

Syphilis free has been a requirement for WPs through the One Stop Service Centre for me for at least eight years. But the 10 minutes and Bt100 it takes to get the certificate from my local clinic doesn't include any more than a stethoscope exam to prove I'm still breathing (I guess). 

Personally I wouldn't be concerned. Tell your friend to get his certificate from a local clinic.