Electricity Prices 101

aldriglikvid

I'm renting a condo in a unit with "Government prices" for electricity. I'm coming from a country where electricity prices move in a daily/monthly basis. Is that not the case here? Or, where can I follow the prices? 

Sorry for the lame question. Bless! 

4 hours ago, Crossy said:

I think that's the latest, the Ft (fuel tariff) is what they use to adjust the rate rather than modify the base tariff. It's all detailed on your bill.

The "4.5 Baht a unit" is a guesstimate based upon the "normal" usage and since most of us use over 400 units per month it works out reasonably well, certainly well enough to catch gross errors.

Great, makes sense now. 

So, in essence, I could look at the meter in the hall and measure how many units it goes up per 24h on "a normal day" and then multiply x 4.5thb? Perhaps there's an added monthly fixed account fee ontop of this as well. 

Just trying to settle in a new comfortable pace of living, and I want to understand what it would cost me. ????

There's different voltage supply 5/15...15/45...3 phaze.

Most places are on 15/45 as far as I believe. 

To simplify it depends on how much you use is what I find 

Basically electric in Thailand I find not expensive. 

4 minutes ago, aldriglikvid said:

Great, makes sense now. 

So, in essence, I could look at the meter in the hall and measure how many units it goes up per 24h on "a normal day" and then multiply x 4.5thb? Perhaps there's an added monthly fixed account fee ontop of this as well. 

Just trying to settle in a new comfortable pace of living, and I want to understand what it would cost me. ????

It's noted on your bill, how many units you use.  Simply divide by 30.  We use about 600 a month, so 20 a day or < ฿100 a day on average.  I would suspect that's more than most single people, or most working couples use daily.  Abuse the AC, running usually 16 hours a day, at least.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

It's noted on your bill, how many units you use.  Simply divide by 30.  We use about 600 a month, so 20 a day or < ฿100 a day on average.  I would suspect that's more than most single people, or most working couples use daily.  Abuse the AC, running usually 16 hours a day, at least.

Thanks. Yes, I've noticed that I use ~10 units per 24h and using my AC (and other things) in a comfortable matter. Absolutely no reason to cut down on the good (cool) stuff where prices are ????

Thanks for the feedback all! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tuvoc said:

I thought that the actual rate per unit goes up at a certain point to encourage energy saving - is that not the case ?

Maybe my farmhouse 5/15 monthly use is free, don't know how many units are needed for me to get charged.

15 hours ago, digbeth said:

You are quite welcome to call that instability if you choose to do  so.

The reality is my base rate has gone up in the last 8 months from 3.47/unit to 3.77/unit and the adjustment(Ft) has gone from zero to 4.18 baht.

With an annual average of 10 units a day the least of my worries.

Just wish my blood pressure had similar instability.

10 minutes ago, Red Forever said:

We live in rural area and always have monthly use of below 150 units yet still pay.

I think last bill was 545bt for 125 units used.

Yeah, you have to have a 5/15 meter too.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Red Forever said:

We live in rural area and always have monthly use of below 150 units yet still pay.

125 units, that don't sound right for 545 bht. 

1 hour ago, Red Forever said:

I lived on a housing estate 15Km South of Chiang Mai ...... free under 150 units.

I now live on an estate 12Km North of Chiang Mai ....... not free under 150 units.

Depends on how your house/area is classed and the meter.

@Red Forever my last month bill 92 units, 372bht.

Edited by BritManToo

Last month my bill was 1700 baht and this month its 2780 and i used exactly same as the last month. I asked to my neighbor and he told me there are times government help because of covid.. Dont know its true or not but my electric bills are getting higher little by little.. I use a lot because of covid and working from home for a long time but never had 2500 up whatever i did. if i work at the office my bill is usually around 1500-1800

30 minutes ago, problemfarang said:

Last month my bill was 1700 baht and this month its 2780 and i used exactly same as the last month.

You used the same number of units both months??

Please post a scan of your bill with personal details redacted so we can try and sort out what's gone awry.

5 minutes ago, Crossy said:

You used the same number of units both months??

Please post a scan of your bill with personal details redacted so we can try and sort out what's gone awry.

hi,

im not sure about the units, sorry about that. But all i can say is i used exactly same things and same way. My life in the house is very routine so i didnt use any extra electrical thing. I have 25.000 BTU ac which is on almost the whole day + 12.000 ac in the bedroom -on only when sleeping- , hot water for the shower and my computer. nothing more.

again sorry i dont have the bills because i pay bank auto way.

but i will keep them for the next 2 months and lets see whats going on

thanks

Edited by problemfarang

2 minutes ago, problemfarang said:

I have 25.000 BTU ac which is on almost the whole day + 12.000 ac in the bedroom -on only when sleeping-

Yeah, your A/C usage will have gone up significantly as the weather warms up.

You can check your actual consumption history on your bill, alternatively both MEA and PEA have apps which have up to 12 months of consumption history available.

• Like 1

I'm rather too obsessive with monitoring our energy consumption.

Here's our history for the last couple of years, the red "total" bars are what you are interested in. Peak consumption around April / May, we don't use much A/C but even so you can see the changes with the weather.

image.png.62eca4eabf330150e573aefe30cdf6dc.png

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I'm rather too obsessive with monitoring our energy consumption.

Here's our history for the last couple of years, the red "total" bars are what you are interested in. Peak consumption around April / May, we don't use much A/C but even so you can see the changes with the weather.

image.png.62eca4eabf330150e573aefe30cdf6dc.png

Don't change ... ????

Your solar generated matches my monthly PEA usage now 500-700, along with your total this year, and my expected use when moving, 1000-1200, hopefully soon.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

How hot ... damn hot ...

Broke ฿3000 this month for 684 PEA units / ฿3045.  First time in a long time.  Sad, since only 1 small AC unit (9 or 11BTUs).  Meter  reader mixed the bills, with neighbor... again.  He heart probably skipped a beat when he saw, as his was <฿1000 ????

Looking back 1 year or so, usage last March, 2021, lowest I have & was 342 units & Gmaps telling me we were out & about at Phuket, twice actually & Krung Thep, kids BD, 1 week of  ... hmm.

Can't wait to have that damn solar.  18 & 24 BTU units should put us over ฿5k a month, easily.  For a quick ROI ... then FREE 

4 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Broke ฿3000 this month for 684 PEA units / ฿3045.  First time in a long time.  Sad, since only 1 small AC unit (9 or 11BTUs).  Meter  reader mixed the bills, with neighbor... again.  He heart probably skipped a beat when he saw, as his was <฿1000 ????

My misses turned the air-con on for 45 minutes this aft, first time this month.

I'm hoping for less than 90 units on our bill.

Edited by BritManToo

11 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

My misses turned the air-con on for 45 minutes this aft, first time this month.

My misses turns the air-con off 1 more time, and we're converting to Muzzy, and I'm going to beat her silly and that burka will come in handy.   The dog even growls at her if she reaches for the remote ... ????

Compared the temps the other day,

CM 35ish, PKK 35ish, CM feels like 36C, Pkk feels like 50C

Welcome to hell .... ????

image.png.f7496822179862d7ed8ae00ef6ebf85f.png

Oh yea, wind @ -0-, gusting @ 2 ????

Edited by KhunLA