Drunk drivers could face jail time without suspension during Songkran

webfact

5 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

Just follow what works. Take Australia model. If driver is drunk, car goes into press. With 12 years of payments left on it, that's quite a harsh punishment...

So the owner stops making his payments to the bank and when they come to repossess it…. ???? ???? 

12 hours ago, webfact said:

All agreed that drunk driving must be dealt with

Yes indeed, and I hope for all nationalities, including ex-pats who leave their favorite bar stool to drive home by motorcycle or car after a boozing session!

7 hours ago, Bert got kinky said:

Just ban the sale of alcohol leading up to and during the holiday period.

That might upset the Pattaya pensioners but some of them could do with a dry out period. ????

take it you're a teatotal  ..why not just ban all vehicles off the road for the week  ..job done

3 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

Yes indeed, and I hope for all nationalities, including ex-pats who leave their favorite bar stool to drive home by motorcycle or car after a boozing session!

never take my vehicle or motor bike when i go drinking .. don't paint us all the same eh

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, itsari said:

In theory you have no license if you are over the legal  limit .

No insurance either 

In theory you are correct, but nor do the countless drivers who have never taken a test and have insurance that would be void

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nchuckle said:

So the owner stops making his payments to the bank and when they come to repossess it…. ???????? 

They get a court order for the outstanding payments, if the punter didn’t follow the court order send him down and when he comes out the order is still valid, get serious with this problem or continue to turn a blind eye

1 hour ago, nchuckle said:

So the owner stops making his payments to the bank and when they come to repossess it…. ???????? 

Could give it back to the bank to resell with no proceeds to the drinker/driver/ tisser

1 hour ago, Harveyboy said:

take it you're a teatotal  ..why not just ban all vehicles off the road for the week  ..job done

Yes I am teetotal, I also drive a car.

Banning alcohol would not affect me but banning vehicles would.

Therefore, in my view, it will have to be the alcohol that gets sacrificed, I can't agree with something that would impact my lifestyle. ????????

Thailand, hub of crackdowns. Deep sigh. Why not do your job year round? That would eliminate the need for all those crackdowns, because if the RTP did their job like they are supposed to, people would know there’s a fair chance they’d get caught drink driving or committing other travel offenses. Now they know there’s about zero % chance of getting caught.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Almer said:

They get a court order for the outstanding payments, if the punter didn’t follow the court order send him down and when he comes out the order is still valid, get serious with this problem or continue to turn a blind eye

Heard the expression‘can’t get blood out of a stone'.?  It’s a civil debt and that’s why repossession (which you’ve now made impossible) is the normal course of events. The car is still effectively owned by the lender - so it’s their property you’ve destroyed. 

On 4/10/2022 at 9:11 AM, 2long said:

Has anyone pointed out to the fools in charge that drunk driving is bad all year round, always,... and forever!?

Let's just hope this is the First Step to make changes............I know, I am the Eternal Optimist..........but if the start putting people in jail, and they start losing their jobs, and can't pay for their cars - moto's - Insurance goes up, maybe they will learn.  Right now they can just get a ticket and pay the fine, or bribe the cop.  It's gonna take the cops to start taking bribes as well (did I see hell freeze over)     Peace

• Like 1