Sourdough

phutoie2

I must point out as far as SD is concerned I am a complete nooby.

Most of my breads so far are low hydration 63-70%.

All done.by hand mixing, shaping etc. I did splash out on a decent Dutch oven, but that's not essential. 

• Like 1

Wish I had the 40 year old starter that my sister has at her house in California.  Wanted to take a small crock back with me when I returned on February 26th, but was afraid it would not make it through the x-rays and customs in the US as well as Korea.....Need to find a sourdough starter kit here, I love to make sourdough bagels as well as pancakes.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Wish I had the 40 year old starter that my sister has at her house in California.  Wanted to take a small crock back with me when I returned on February 26th, but was afraid it would not make it through the x-rays and customs in the US as well as Korea.....Need to find a sourdough starter kit here, I love to make sourdough bagels as well as pancakes.

I use this website for a lot of baking and curing goods.

https://thaiartisanfoods.com/product/oregon-trail-sourdough-starter/

Edit to add: I just looked at the website for the first time in a long while. Lots of items out of stock. I hope that's just a temporary issue.

Edited by chickenslegs
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, phutoie2 said:

I am a youthful 65yo, hopefully my starters can get to 40 years....!

These are my two babies. I learnt that the Americans give them names.

I'll have a think about this....

IMG_20211206_085720.jpg

I like those crocks, you can see the fermentation and the awesome bubbles that give the sourdough its airiness.

40 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

.....Need to find a sourdough starter kit here......

I got interested in bread making and sour dough couple years ago.  There are lots of vids on you tube with helpful advice.

You can make starter with flour, water and time.  Try different flours until you get what you like.  Not hard at all. 

And I find very enjoyable to experiment with different methods and techniques.  None in my family eats bread but me and I eat very little  so I either trash or give away most.  But is very enjoyable to bake bread.  For me anyway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

I don't know if this really works but I read someplace that you can dry it and then just add a little water when you get here and it takes off.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up a starter 2 weeks ago from the site listed in a post above.  Got it to where its doubled and then doubled and used the cast off two days ago to make sourdough waffles.  Boy were they good.  Last night I used 100 grams of the starter and started the process for making a few sourdough loaves. Just finished the 2nd proofing in the refrigerator and the dough has now doubled for the 2nd time.  Will try and post a few pics of the finished loaves as I will be putting them in the oven in a few after they have returned to room temperature from the refrigerator proofing.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Picked up a starter 2 weeks ago from the site listed in a post above.  Got it to where its doubled and then doubled and used the cast off two days ago to make sourdough waffles.  Boy were they good.  Last night I used 100 grams of the starter and started the process for making a few sourdough loaves. Just finished the 2nd proofing in the refrigerator and the dough has now doubled for the 2nd time.  Will try and post a few pics of the finished loaves as I will be putting them in the oven in a few after they have returned to room temperature from the refrigerator proofing.

I just began my starter yesterday, and after the second 24 hour feed it is beginning to bubble. My starter is in fruit jar with the glass lid removed and I have a flannel and some knicker elastic to keep it on with.

It is the first time I have tried to make sourdough and I got the starter kit from 

• Like 1

On 4/12/2022 at 7:07 PM, phutoie2 said:

I am a youthful 65yo, hopefully my starters can get to 40 years....!

These are my two babies. I learnt that the Americans give them names.

I'll have a think about this....

IMG_20211206_085720.jpg

My starter jar is like the one on the left except I took the lid off completely and use a flannel and some knicker elastic to keep it on with. Day 2 and it is just starting to bubble.

3 minutes ago, billd766 said:

My starter jar is like the one on the left except I took the lid off completely and use a flannel and some knicker elastic to keep it on with. Day 2 and it is just starting to bubble.

Here is my starter today after using half of the jar yesterday to start the bread dough. Fed it 1/3rd cup of bread flour and added water, now it is starting to double again. Will feed it in the morning after I remove some more to make some silver dollar pancakes.....

20220503_185802.jpg

20220503_185806.jpg

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

I just began my starter yesterday, and after the second 24 hour feed it is beginning to bubble. My starter is in fruit jar with the glass lid removed and I have a flannel and some knicker elastic to keep it on with.

It is the first time I have tried to make sourdough and I got the starter kit from 

• Like 1

I guess I will have to buy the starter. I was trying to make it from scratch. Like I said in an earlier post, it seemed to work for a few days, but then quit. I wondered if I had the container lid on too tight. I followed direction I found several places online.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bunnydrops said:

I guess I will have to buy the starter. I was trying to make it from scratch. Like I said in an earlier post, it seemed to work for a few days, but then quit. I wondered if I had the container lid on too tight. I followed direction I found several places online.

I found that when starting the starter that it needs to only have a loose plastic cling over the top that would allow it to breathe, and then I also read that stirring it once just a little while after feeding it will assist in its fermentation.  However, you might need to buy a starter mix to ensure it works.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Harry Bakery in Pattaya has Sourdough, if it's the same as sour bread

May I ask where this Harry is located ? I am looking for a real German style sour dough bread with taste. There are some breads on offer here which aim to go in this direction (Big C Extra and Tops) but they do not cut it yet. But to get the real thing is difficult everywhere (exept Germany) - not only in Thailand, so I am not really surprized.

At least they have good baguettes.

1 hour ago, moogradod said:

May I ask where this Harry is located ? I am looking for a real German style sour dough bread with taste. There are some breads on offer here which aim to go in this direction (Big C Extra and Tops) but they do not cut it yet. But to get the real thing is difficult everywhere (exept Germany) - not only in Thailand, so I am not really surprized.

At least they have good baguettes.

There's about 5 shops, one Buakhao by the TuesFri market, one on Sukhumvit by the short cut to Thepprasit, another one corner Thepraya and Thepprasit, Google should show them

• 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, Soda Soda said:

It is now in stock.

Ordered some yesterday.

Thank you for the information for those needing to start up.  Today I am making some sourdough pretzels, basically the same recipe as a sourdough bagel.  They freeze well, and since I will have 18, it is what I will do.....

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

On 4/12/2022 at 6:32 PM, Will B Good said:

OMG.....nearly started crying when I saw those photos......been living off 7/11 bread for about three months now........I am going to have to start baking my own.

That muck is not bread at all. Had a demo of how to make this at Peninsular hotel a couple of weeks ado, tasty. Still waiting for the mrs to have a go so looks like up to me as usual. Not sure what type of flour to get, and she forgot.

• Haha 1