Is living in Thailand better health-wise than elsewhere?

webfact

1 minute ago, Orinoco said:

Is this just your opinion :cheesy:

I could send a photo, but I wouldn't like to upset you if you are having breakfast. Thanks for reminding me, I must check down below.

Physical health issues are debatable.

Mental health and emotional well-being are certainly more easily achievable here than in my home country. My only return plans there are to sell my house and then get out of Dodge.

The road carnage comprises the first ten things on my list of what I dislike about LOS. Number 11 is the rotten fish paste.

Color me content.

3 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

Off or even near them.

Being within eyesight of any road /trail /path in the Kingdom can be hazardous to your health.

The keys to surviving on Thailand's roads are defensive driving, and threat awareness. Just assume everyone else on the roads is trying to kill you.

After 2 years here, I got sick of tuk-tuks and songthaews. Been driving here for 10 years, scooter and car.

One accident, got shunted on the scooter by a woman who was profusely apologetic. No damage to myself or the scooter.

18 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

I lived in Thailand for almost 20 years. I also visited the Philippines, which I would say rivals Thailand where beautiful women is concerned. (Another thing being, they're more likely to speak English to a reasonable standard, one thing that lets Thailand down.

Not if you can be bothered to learn to speak reasonable Thai which opens up to you the world of Thai women (and others) who do not speak English.

Yes agree with the article plenty of expats retiring to Thailand 

As The Thai visa forum can confirm 

We all have our reasons plenty of places to stay in Thailand health weather  food people could go on 

You don't have to stay in Bangkok Pattaya. Ect 

To the title, healthwise ... yes & no

Yes ... I can get an affordable health check every year or so, which should catch anything early, that would usually kill me if not detected.

No ... air pollution is horrendous, especially if you were born here and live say, Hua Hin or north of, which we don't.  But it has to knock a few years off your life, if not direct cause of respiratory disease that would kill you.

Live south of Hua Hin, but we get our month or 2 of air pollution, bad vs good day:

image.png.4fb6770cc1ba60a1d9efa18cb6a96dfa.png

Exercise wise, actually out & about more, when living in temperate zone USA. Change of seasons, and always something to do or see within 1 hr drive of Philly metro.  If not just knocking around downtown Philly.  Lovely small city, big metro to live near, within the area, or 1 to 2 hrs drive from to keep anyone entertained. 

Almost 30 yrs ago anyway, and very nice then.  Spent most of first 40 yrs of life there, Philly metro.  Last 5 yrs in Memphis TN area, before Thailand, so actually got a taste of brutal hot weather, half the year, before coming here.

Almost year round, sun & humidity here, can be oppressive, and keeps me in the AC most of the time.  Have hills & surf (not really swimmable), and not a lot going on.  Decent nature around, and Hua Hin is 1 hr north, though not really a fan of.

Usually head Southward for out & about, when more than a day trip.  Good for mental stimulation.

Half the article is about Climate Change, not a big believer in, so won't comment on that wasted space.

Non healthwise plus, lack of RE Taxes and cheap labor keeps living cost manageable, and accounts for a bit more monthly pocket money.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Orinoco said:

I'm 100% sure Satan is female.

She masquerades as a wife for some years before revealing her true identity. :jap:

Mate, I wonder just how many men this resonates with.

Admittedly, I can admit I know what you are talking about.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

Not if you can be bothered to learn to speak reasonable Thai which opens up to you the world of Thai women (and others) who do not speak English.

I can speak a smattering of Thai, some useful phrases, numbers etc. I know someone who has spent 16 years living in Thailand and his entire vocabulary consists of sawadee khap. His attitude being, it's much easier for him if the Thais learn to speak English.

One thing being, especially in later years, I never hung-out with Thai people, also, I never worked in Thailand.

35 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

I lived in Thailand for almost 20 years. I also visited the Philippines, which I would say rivals Thailand where beautiful women is concerned. (Another thing being, they're more likely to speak English to a reasonable standard, one thing that lets Thailand down. My impression was that amongst ordinary people, the standard of English speaking is better in Cambodia than in Thailand).

I dunno, I think SE Asian women are well overrated. Or maybe I have just been here too long.

Edited by 2009
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

I've now been living for over 3 years in the UK, after 20 years in Thailand. One thing I'd say is that Thai women tend to have better figures than farang women

Agreed, but they don't do anything for free. Lol

• Like 1

My official residence is Berkeley CA where 90% of the time the air one breathes just came off the Pacific ocean 30 minutes before, and the average daily high 10 months of the year is around 20 Celsius. So I'm here for the social life (in every sense), and for the times I can't be in Europe. I can take the heat, but don't like it. I can't smell the air, but I know the danger and just accept it.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, 2009 said:

Well, they do teach English here from 3 years old, so he has a point.

Thais, especially under 30 ish yrs old, speak & understand English just fine, if you speak proper English and slow.  They just prefer not to use, and TBH, why would they.

It's not that they can't speak to foreigner, they simply don't want to, and who can blame them.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

It's not that they can't speak to foreigner, they simply don't want to, and who can blame them.

And I don't want to talk with them either.

My Thai daughter speaks perfect conversational English, but has never admitted it to anyone.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BadSpottedDog said:

I must say that since we have lived here, we haven't been sick in over 6 years. No cold, flu, covid, viruses, etc ... nothing. We hardly ever have sugar, and eat fairly healthy. (no 7 11 food ever).

The air quality in our town is great most of the time, but this year, we're being hit with smoke from the burning season. This is something that seriously need to be addressed. It has definitely affected our breathing this year. I can't imagine living in Bangkok or CM.

So where DO you live please?

2 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Kings Cross once a red light district many moons ago, is now a trendy upmarket area, besides they have strict noise pollution rules in Sydney.

I suppose at the end of the day it's the luck of the draw, I chose the country life away from neighbours, only music, if any that I can hear is from a distance when there is a festival of sorts and it is not enough to bother me.

As for answering the topics question, the environment in Thailand is much harsher than the 4 seasons I was used to, that said, with a well insulated and comfortable home, it beats the hell out of working 5/7ths if not 6/7ths of your life and in an office environment for most who would also be stressed out from the work, not happy having to travel in the traffic and have very little time for themselves.

Retirement in the old country for most is not sustainable, just a couple of examples, rents shy high, your pension would just about cover your rent if you didn't own a property outright, then it would be to the local grocery store for tonight's dinner, canned dog food.

The cost of living is crazy, a kilo of chicken breast will set you back 250 baht vs 88 baht here and you can keep adding on from there.

The cost of living here is way cheaper than back home if you go easy on the imports where they stick it to you.

I mean what's a drivers licence cost here for 5 years, 300 odd baht, home country you would be lucky to see any change from 4,750 baht.

Living here, you have to take the good with the bad, it's not perfect, but perfect is what you make of every situation.

I'm good, just have to turn off when it's bad and wait for the good to come up again, that said, it's mostly good and relaxing living the life here in Thailand.

Whatever you do, don't talk health insurance costs because that is in the bad, but part of life ????

WR Life great Life and Health Insurance for Expats is Thailand !! I have both coverages very reasonable and good service ???? The cheapest I’ve found in Thailand:) 

• Thanks 2