Thailand reports year-high record total of 119 new COVID-19 deaths

webfact

COV15.jpg

File photo

Thailand on Friday (April 15) reported 20,289 new COVID-19 cases, 24,969 recoveries and 119 additional deaths over the past 24 hours. 

Friday’s cases bring the total number of COVID-19 infections in Thailand to 3,993,292 with 26,629 deaths.

The news comes as authorities have confirmed they have not found any cases of Omicron sub-variant BA.4 and BA.5 infections in Thailand.

The Ramathibodi Hospital’s Center for Medical Genomics (CMG) said that the World Health Organization (WHO) is now monitoring six Omicron subvariants which are BA.1, BA.1.1, BA.2, BA.3, BA.4, and BA.5.

According to the CMG, the BA.2 sub-variant is responsible for 94 percent of Omicron infections worldwide and has replaced the BA.1 strain as the dominant strain in Thailand.**

**NNT contributed to this report

Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

Asean-now_Covid-Dashboard-Stats-Graphic-Template-Thailand-(update15APR).png

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-04-15

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

I gripe about the rules for entering Thailand..  But, with Thailand being one of the worlds most polluted countries in the world. I would not go even if they stopped all entire rules. It looks to me like it is going to be a serious problem for years in Thailand.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, garyk said:

I gripe about the rules for entering Thailand..  But, with Thailand being one of the worlds most polluted countries in the world. I would not go even if they stopped all entire rules. It looks to me like it is going to be a serious problem for years in Thailand.

Too messy to post but on this list Thailand is # 45.

https://www.iqair.com/world-most-polluted-countries

Edited by jerrymahoney

Unless Thailand does random weekly sampling we're not going to know the real extent of the pandemic here.

For what it's worth following the total relaxation of all covid rules in the UK there has been a surge in cases in the UK which finally has peaked and is now decreasing sharply.  It took 2 months appx to reach this stage. Because Thailand has sought to stem the flow then it might take considerably longer. 

It's the sheer number of intubations (still rising) that are a stain on Thailand's vaccine campaign imo.  But for them we might be saying it's much like a North European flu outbreak.  Perhaps this is still a difficult thing for Thais to handle though since their respiratory virus season seems to be more shallow.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, edwinchester said:

Covid is sweeping through our village at the moment. Many of the infections seem to be connected with a large temple fair at the end of last week.

Thailand and Songkran seem to be one huge superspreader event right now.

I am hearing stories of mass infections in the villages.

At this rate, visitors from Bangkok are likely to spread Omicron back to Bangkok after Songkran.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

I hope everyone is enjoying the muted Songkran festivities

Thanks. Ever since I was knocked off my motorbike at 07:30 in the morning -- when I thought it would be safe to go out for some groceries -- with a large point-blank range bucket of water and left a bloody mess, I have called Songkran for me 'bunker mode'.

And as bad as it was to see if my motorbike still worked after the crash, the all-night party gang that did it were having a good time laughing at bloody me, the farang.

Edited by jerrymahoney
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, mommysboy said:

Unless Thailand does random weekly sampling we're not going to know the real extent of the pandemic here.

They're never going to do this, so just assume the worst - it's everywhere and spreading like wildfire.

Also knowing doesn't make any difference, it's not going to change anything and would cost a lot, they appear to have decided not to spend the money.

Best to limit exposure to other people for a while - no bars, no restaurants and limited shopping trips. That's what I've been doing for the last year and I haven't caught covid recently, not yet anyway.

Edited by ukrules

A big drop from 252 cases yesterday! Is this to do with Songkran?

Health officials on Friday (April 15) reported 194 new COVID-19 cases in Prachuap Khiri Khan province, of which 62 cases were found in Hua Hin.

Elsewhere in the province, 10 cases were found in Pranburi, 41 cases in Sam Roi Yot, 8 cases in Kuiburi, 11 cases in Thap Sakae, 14 cases in Bang Saphan, 4 cases in Bang Saphan Noi, and 44 cases in Mueang Prachuap Khiri Khan.

One new COVID-19 related death was reported in the province today.

https://www.huahintoday.com/hua-hin-news/april-15-prachuap-reports-194-new-covid-19-cases-62-in-hua-hin/

Today's past two weeks COVID trends chart from the Ministry of Public Health:

9141090_TwoWeekTrends2022-04-15.jpg.737c5497c5d8662e94106c0400e4af06.jpg

The red text in the bottom right corner of the chart says 109 of today's 119 newly reported COVID deaths (more than 91%) involved people who had NOT received a third-dose COVID booster vaccine.

Nationally, the share of the population at large that has received a third dose COVID vaccine booster shot remains just under 36%. And just over 39% for the most vulnerable subgroup of seniors age 60 and above.

The Ministry of Public Health today released data on what it said has been the effectiveness of vaccinations in both preventing COVID infections and deaths during the Omicron wave from January through March, based on tracking data from the Chiang Mai province.

The graphic below says, for the period tracked:

Two shots (so-called fully vaccinated): not effective in preventing infections, but did prevent more than 85% of deaths.

Three shots including booster: 34% to 68% effective in preventing infections, and 98% to 99% in preventing deaths.

Four shots including two boosters: 80% to 82% effective in preventing infections, and no deaths reported thus far among this group.

1256583030_2022-04-15THVaccineeffectivenessJantoMarch2022.jpg.c8c7c57396a9bccdad05239db96acbf8.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/posts/542196414065354

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

12 hours ago, jerrymahoney said:

Too messy to post but on this list Thailand is # 45.

https://www.iqair.com/world-most-polluted-countries

https://www.iqair.com/us/thailand

Covid deaths and air pollution go hand and hand. 

Until Thailand can get Covid under control , best to avoid all together.

Can you imagine getting a respiratory disease in a place where air quality is so bad. 

Edited by garyk