23-year-old taxi passenger dies following two-vehicle accident in Pattaya, taxi driver suffers only minor injuries

webfact

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Being careful is.  Before law mandated, If I thought I was at risk, I'd wear it.  Usually not local around town driving.  Nobody actually goes fast enough.   On highway at speed, of course.

Where I am now, I rarely drive over 50 kph, that's kms not mile p/h, as does everyone else.  More like 35ish.  Same when I lived in Udon Thani, within ring rd, about the same speeds, if lucky.  Wouldn't wear if not mandated.  On the ring rd, or out to the house, via highway, yea, why not, as you never know.

Actually the conversation, and y'all comments are a bit irrelevant, as been wearing for about the last 30+ yrs, if not 40.

If you're going to get in a taxi @ 0400 hr ... yea, you should have had your seatbelt on. 

Uncommon common sense.

Uncommon common sense....  erm... 

.... Would you run into a wall ????  (ppl run at about 15 kmh !)...

Even at 50 kmh... I don't want to be anywhere near an accident when / if a car pulls out of a side street without warning...   

The mere thought of not wearing a seatbelt in any vehicle where there is a seatbelt available is stupid IMO. 

To quote you:

On the ring rd, or out to the house, via highway, yea, why not, as you never know.

Agreed... you never know..  you never know anywhere... even around town - there is just no sensible point or intelligent argument to not wearing a seatbelt when one is available - its just stupid to not use a seatbelt. 

• Thanks 1

I looked it up and sure enough, factory installed seatbelts were not even mandated in the US for about the first 10 years after I started driving. Dates me. After they started I always believed in them, but here I've become lax, maybe mistaken nostalgia for youth; tho as  child of 9 or 10 (or younger?) I swear I once fell out of the back seat a car with suicide doors on a gravel country road at about 35 mph (playing with the door latch) into a soft ditch and survived uninjured.

Edited by Enzian
uncertain

51 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

You're wrong. It became the law that all passengers will wear seatbelts as of 22nd May, 2014.

'Thankfully, the Department of Transport has issued a new law as of 22nd May, 2014, stating that all passengers in shuttle buses, coaches, tour buses and cars must have seat belts and all passengers in the vehicle must wear seat belts'. 

https://physicsofcarsafety.weebly.com/laws-in-thailand.html

Well I stand corrected although on checking your dates are wrong as this is what it said

CAR PASSENGERS MUST WEAR SEAT BELTS

On April 5, 2017, a new law came into effect stating that passengers in the rear seat of a car are now required to wear seat-belts in addition to the driver and front seat passenger. If you are travelling in a car or taxi which is fitted with a seat-belt, remember to buckle-up. Failure to do so can result in a fine of up to 500 Baht.

10 minutes ago, Excel said:

Well I stand corrected although on checking your dates are wrong as this is what it said

CAR PASSENGERS MUST WEAR SEAT BELTS

On April 5, 2017, a new law came into effect stating that passengers in the rear seat of a car are now required to wear seat-belts in addition to the driver and front seat passenger. If you are travelling in a car or taxi which is fitted with a seat-belt, remember to buckle-up. Failure to do so can result in a fine of up to 500 Baht.

Is it not also Law that Taxi’s have to have seatbelts in the rear ?

(so many still don’t of course)

9 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Was this at the junction of Nerm Plab Whan and The Railway line Bypass Rd? I find it hard to figure out from the picture. Those junctions have flashing lights and people race through at night.

Yes this is the intersection of Soi Nernpludwan and railroad track it was after the intersection as you head south. 

At Nernpludwan the train is below at this Soi it is raise and a concrete bridge there is no need for train flashing lights etc. 

I seen countless of accident at this intersection Nernpludwan I considered one of the heaviest most congested travel Soi in Pattaya. This intersection is a free for all for playing chicken vehicles coming up parallel to the train tracks far exceed the speed limit which is posted further down at 50 as vehicle approach the intersection there is clearly a Solid 8-10 CM white horizontal but in Thailand majority don't have a clue it is the same as a stop sign instead of doing the minimum of at least slowing down and proceed with caution it is pedal to the pedal.  Lots of local out here use taxis service B--T.  

R. I. P. 

Edited by thailand49

5 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:

I just tell anyone in the car I am driving that it isnt moving until seat belts are on them. At first they may resist but I just wont turn the engine on and they soon get the message.

And you live in which country?

5 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

The "stupidest"?  Really?   Someone, don't know who, posted a link to a confirmed paedophile rapist's video, I'd say that takes the prize.

I said 'ONE of the stupidest......'

16 minutes ago, jimn said:

I saw a Thai drive away yesterday on Jomtien beach road with a child sitting on his lap. I felt like driving after him and dragging him away.

I remember my Dad & I doing that back in 1954 in this. And I probably changed gear!

Daisy II 1.JPG

Edited by KannikaP
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

I remember my Dad & I doing that back in 1954.

Also, and a highlight of my childhood, though I was born in 1954, so a few years later.   Use to let the daughter do the same, scooter and car, on the back village roads.  Enjoyed it as much as I did back then.

Extreme care needed now, due to airbags.  One thing I need to think about with our dog, as sits on our lap when driving.  My first reaction will be chucking her in the back, or to the center console, if seeing an oops coming our way. 

Edited by KhunLA

7 hours ago, KhunLA said:

TBH, if not the law, I probably wouldn't wear one, except when driving on the highway at speed.

Have yet to need the seat belt in 50 yrs of driving, and no airbag was ever deployed.  Been in a few nasty crashes as a youngin', cars totaled, with no injuries.

Those inexperienced drivers or who fail at defensive driving ... wear your seatbelt.

If it becomes reflex to belt up one never needs to make such decisions or judgments.

Do it, it's done, no thought involved. Just easier IMO.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Extreme care needed now, due to airbags.

Airbags on a scooter?  LOL.

The bit about the dog shows extreme stupidity, sorry, but's that's my opinion. Only takes something to upset the dog and your are f**ked. No time to throw her in the back, with both hands on the wheel.

Not really funny @KhunLA

Edited by KannikaP
  • Haha 1

Z

12 hours ago, Moonlover said:

The fact that she was found outside of the vehicle strongly suggests that she was not. When I was driving here I sometimes had to be quite firm with some Thai passengers, including family about fastening their seatbelts. Some didn't even know how to.

Why don't you drive here now?

13 hours ago, webfact said:

were notified of the accident at 4:30 A.M.

weekday....seems pretty late at night.....sure, maybe going to work.

if you are driving around 4:30 a.m. on a Tuesday, I gotta imagine this is pretty common and this person often drives around this time.  

that means driving likely quite a bit in the "dangerous times" of the day.....

Roads are super dangerous in Thailand at noon during perfect conditions.    imagine around 4 a.m.

10 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

It baffles me why people refuse to put on their seat belts. 

Is it not cool or its too much of an effort. 

The vehicle manufacturers fit out their cars with safety equipment and people refuse to wear them. 

Now she's dead, family and friends no longer have this young woman in their lives, sad for all. 

Hard to find the seat belt in the rear seat of many taxis, often struggle myself. 

The only thing I ride without a seat belt is a motorcycle.

I also am happy that my Thai family members are wise enough

that they all wear seatbelts in their vehicles. No Dirty Harry types

in the gang like Khun LA.  I had a roll over accident when I was young

and the seat belt saved my life. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, thailand49 said:

I seen countless of accident at this intersection Nernpludwan I considered one of the heaviest most congested travel Soi in Pattaya

No need to tell me as I use the railway line bypass often, but mostly North of there, starting at Soi Siam CC. I slow for every junction, but am I amazed how so many just whiz through with unchecked speed.  Never sure who has a right of way other than 'you do!'.....traffic will cross soi Siam CC without caution to get towards the market, despite the stop signs!

8 hours ago, Stargeezr said:

No Dirty Harry types in the gang like Khun LA. 

Seems to be an extreme lack of reading comprehension,  I never stated I don't wear a seat belt, just that if it wasn't mandated, I probably wouldn't when driving around town, and only when driving at speed on the highway do I find it necessary.  Even though, I've yet to ever need one.

Some mind boggling replies.  It really is about the msgr and not the msg with some of y'all.

Notice that post stating he's a bit 'lax' wearing seat belt here, didn't get one negative reply.  Hmm ... 

Edited by KhunLA

On 4/20/2022 at 1:05 PM, Mr Meeseeks said:

Not wearing seatbelts is Thai fatalism at its best.

However that attitude could easily be changed if proper education and enactment/enforcement of seatbelt laws were applied. 

Don't hold your breath though. 

Is wearing a seatbelt in the back of a vehicle law in Thailand? I know it is in Singapore and elsewhere. 

Take people who are drunk or under the influence of drugs to the morgue and show them bodies that have been a result of drug or drunk driving. I would bet a large percentage would not drive with and drugs or drink in them.

With Marijuana being legalised the chances are there will be an increase in road deaths. This could be a decision that will be regretted.

Yup, been residing here 10 (mostly) country years nearly but some posters say I'm stupid.

Getting family to belt up and restrain kids?

Cars are the biggest playtime in a childs life.

If their mom or pop or anyone else don't tell them to belt up it doesn't matter what I say.

Never gunna change.