Why are westerners so offended over the word farang? Get over it.

webfact

12 minutes ago, Neeranam said:
32 minutes ago, KanchanaburiGuy said:

Weren't there a couple of highly publicized incidents not too long ago where a government official.......... (a transit boss, maybe?)........... was openly  talking about the dirty, smelly, arrogant and rude foreigners plaguing Thai society? ........... And didn't he pointedly refer to them/us as "farangs?" 

To be fair, he was misquoted by the gutter English press. 

Never let facts get in the way of embellishing a good story... 

Doesn’t it just sound better than Anutin, the Dept Primeminister of Thailand; a country which has traditionally relied upon tourism for 20%+ of its GDP, that he called foreigners ‘dirty’.... 

Thats just so much better than...   "These two (who refused to take masks when he tried to hand them out) risk spreading covid” (again, transliterated, but more in line with what was actually said rather than the far more interesting embellishment). 

Of course, embellishing and misreporting has been jumped all over... Its now folklore and Anutin is racist !!!... Ask anyone on Asean-now !!! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, barney42bb said:

Not sure what scared them more as they fled outback to the kitchen.

Thtt I could understand them.

or that I made a firm retort in their language.

This 'The Empire strikes back' moment brought to you by...

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Iamfalang said:

You are falang.  Not your country!  No rights.  Dirty.  Scary.  Dangerous.  Rich.  Sexpat.  Pedo.  

falang.   Hahahahahahahaha.     Never trust falang.    He speak ABC.   Lol

I’m offended that you can’t transliterate the word properly. It’s farang (ฝรั่ง) with an “r” sound not an “l”. Do some Thais pronounce it that way. Yes. Mainly in Isaan where you have a mixture of Thai and Laos languages (Laos dropped the “r” sound from their alphabet about 50 years ago so many times they substitute “l” for “r”). I’m assuming you were not born and raised in isaan, so why do you insist on this wrong transliteration? You even have it wrong in your username. If you’re going to use the word then at the very least use it correctly.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Neeranam said:
3 hours ago, rickudon said:

Not offended. I find Englishman slightly offensive, even if true...... I prefer British.

I'm a lot more offended if Thais call me Englishman rather than farang.

Aha! You are STILL a Scotsman after all.

13 minutes ago, Nkpjed said:

I’m offended that you can’t transliterate the word properly. It’s farang (ฝรั่ง) with an “r” sound not an “l”. Do some Thais pronounce it that way. Yes. Mainly in Isaan where you have a mixture of Thai and Laos languages (Laos dropped the “r” sound from their alphabet about 50 years ago so many times they substitute “l” for “r”). I’m assuming you were not born and raised in isaan, so why do you insist on this wrong transliteration? You even have it wrong in your username. If you’re going to use the word then at the very least use it correctly.

In my part of the central plain it is pronounced falang. 

11 hours ago, LivingNThailand said:

From what I understand, and I may be wrong, Farang means all Foreigners regardless of race, creed, color, religion, etc.   So why be offended?  It's a word for everyone.  I'd rather be called a Farang than a Foreigner or Alien.  But, as others have  mentioned above, it's the way it is said, the tone.  

I believe it is also a fruit here. Quite an ugly one.

15 minutes ago, Nkpjed said:

We must find other ways to offend him.

I wonder if he's a 

40 minutes ago, BritManToo said:
42 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Are you saying you are called 'handsum man' by non-prostitutes?

Aren't you a pensioner? 

Not for my first 10 years in Thailand.

Then I was an international jet-setting playboy.

...on a good pension.

30 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Never let facts get in the way of embellishing a good story... 

Doesn’t it just sound better than Anutin, the Dept Primeminister of Thailand; a country which has traditionally relied upon tourism for 20%+ of its GDP, that he called foreigners ‘dirty’.... 

Thats just so much better than...   "These two (who refused to take masks when he tried to hand them out) risk spreading covid” (again, transliterated, but more in line with what was actually said rather than the far more interesting embellishment). 

Of course, embellishing and misreporting has been jumped all over... Its now folklore and Anutin is racist !!!... Ask anyone on Asean-now !!! 

Begin quote:

"Health minister Anutin Charnvirakul doubled down on his discriminatory remark on Western tourists, saying that they are “dirty” and more likely to spread coronavirus than Asians.

" Writing in two Twitter posts on Thursday night, which were later deleted, the account said farangs – a slang for Caucasians – “never shower” and pose health risks to Thai population.

“It’s winter right now in Europe so these people are fleeing the cold in Thailand. Many are dressed dirtily and never shower. As hosts, we have to be careful. Even they don’t want to mingle with each other, closing their borders,” 

End quote. 

(Sorry, lost the link when I switched back to Asean Now.) 

It's probably worth asking: Why did he delete his tweets if he DIDN'T say these things? 

Hmmm? 

Cheers! 

Of course 'farang kee ngok' is sometimes heard by foreigners here.  Some know 'farang kee nok' and mistake 'farang kee ngok' for it. 

That would take another 10 pages to discuss. 

Almost like the old days on TV.

2 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I was going to say that one but don't use profanities ???? 

Only those born within the sound of Bow Bells will know the true meaning. :thumbsup:

2 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Did you know that 'berk' comes from that?

I did indeed.  I have a little inward chuckle whenever I hear it used by people who do not know.

11 hours ago, Neeranam said:

When using 'farang', Thais use  'mun'(it).  They never say 'khon farang' but do with Asians, ie khon Jeen or Khon Yeepun

Well that would say a lot in regards to context.

33 minutes ago, Nkpjed said:

Given that there's no "official" transliteration from Thai to English, it seems odd that you keep insisting that one that's different from the one YOU accept......... is "wrong." 

In the absence of anything "official," one phonetic interpretation is as good as any other........ as long as it accurately reflects its source. 

My wife and her circle of friends......... all born and raised in Kanchanaburi, all well over 50, and most having been teachers and "directors"............ say "falang."

That accurately represents what I hear when they use the word.

If I wish to write something that will accurately convey what someone would hear if they heard my wife speaking.......... I'd have to write "falang." And isn't that better than writing "farang".......... and then having to explain why what I said she say........ and what she actually says......... are the same thing, but different? ????????????

(They also say "alloy" for "arroy!" And since I want to be understood by my wife and her friends...... I do too! 555)

Cheers! 

10 minutes ago, KanchanaburiGuy said:

Given that there's no "official" transliteration from Thai to English, it seems odd that you keep insisting that one that's different from the one YOU accept......... is "wrong." 

In the absence of anything "official," one phonetic interpretation is as good as any other........ as long as it accurately reflects its source. 

My wife and her circle of friends......... all born and raised in Kanchanaburi, all well over 50, and most having been teachers and "directors"............ say "falang."

That accurately represents what I hear when they use the word.

If I wish to write something that will accurately convey what someone would hear if they heard my wife speaking.......... I'd have to write "falang." And isn't that better than writing "farang".......... and then having to explain why what I said she say........ and what she actually says......... are the same thing, but different? ????????????

(They also say "alloy" for "arroy!" And since I want to be understood by my wife and her friends...... I do too! 555)

Cheers! 

There's no transliteration which makes raw reua an l.