Electric Vehicles in Thailand

Went to test drive the Dolphin yesterday. It was good, nice comfort levels and all that jazz. Would be excellently for city driving but I felt that it might not be so great for long distance driving. Regretfully on the spur of the moment, I thought that 200k was that much more so did a test drive on the Atto 3. Totally different class in terms of ride comfort, interior etc.

I said regretfully because now she wants the extended range which means 400 k over the basic Dolphin.

For a 1st car, I would not hesitate. But we already have the Haval H6 and 1.2 million is a lot of money to pay for a 2nd car which honestly won’t be used all that much.

That’s a long winded way of asking, given the price difference between the MG4 and Atto3, which would be a better car to buy?

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

I like the Atto 3 a lot, I haven't driven it, but my daughter has.  I think the pricing model with 100k difference to get extended range is useless to most people, but what they have done is made much nicer colours in the extended range (blue, green, red) which I think is a clever marketing ploy and it immediately switched my daughter onto the extended range model.

I like the sunroof too, though from what I have read, it probably wants a 99% tinted film on it.  My Benz had one and at no time did it ever let heat in, I left the opaque screen off most of the time and only opened at night time/early morning and I really enjoyed it at night.

Is it worth another 230k over the MG4? I think it probably is if you want more space, I can't say whether it's better to drive, but what I can say is the MG4 is a fantastic drive.  Time will tell on depreciation, MG's generally have a reputation of depreciating fast, hopefully not their BEV's.

I am less sure that the top MG4 is worth 100k more than the entry one, it does have better lights apparently and historically the first thing I have ever done with cars with halogen headlights is fit HID Xenon bulbs, we did that on my daughter's MG EP+ at a cost of 3,000 baht and it's now much safer.  The top MG4 model has good lights.

I am sure the entry level MG4 is a better buy than the Dolphin though.

Perhaps book a back to back test drive with both cars before you make your mind up?

You are absolutely right. I felt that the standard model was sufficient for our daily needs but the salesman cleverly replied quickly that it only comes in white. Is the extra 10Kwh really worth 100k more? Depends on individual circumstances I guess.

As for the MG, the extra 100k is also debatable although having the connectivity features are useful.

What’s very significant though is that the MG only has a 4 year warranty whereas the BYD has 8 years warranty. This is for the car. Both have 8 yrs on the battery. BYD is also giving  8 years free servicing (4 years for the Dolphin) whilst MG is only 5 free services (2,5 yrs).

If only the Atto3 and MG4 costed the same, lol.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Gweiloman said:

Went to test drive the Dolphin yesterday. It was good, nice comfort levels and all that jazz. Would be excellently for city driving but I felt that it might not be so great for long distance driving. Regretfully on the spur of the moment, I thought that 200k was that much more so did a test drive on the Atto 3. Totally different class in terms of ride comfort, interior etc.

I said regretfully because now she wants the extended range which means 400 k over the basic Dolphin.

For a 1st car, I would not hesitate. But we already have the Haval H6 and 1.2 million is a lot of money to pay for a 2nd car which honestly won’t be used all that much.

That’s a long winded way of asking, given the price difference between the MG4 and Atto3, which would be a better car to buy?

I would say that the Atto 3 is worth the extra 230k over the MG4.

The sunroof, electric tailgate, larger screen with excellent resolution ( and can be upgraded to 15.6” for 28k ) , bigger boot and nicer interior materials ( ignoring the ott design ).

But i would say the MG4 is worth the extra 170k over the Dolphin.

The exciting driving experience, better looking MG4 , makes it for me.

But, it depends on your reasoning for buying, if looking for a second/city car then I see the Dolphin as ideal, affordable, more than adequate medium hatchback.

If looking for a primary car then the Atto 3 wins the race.

But, of the above 2 options the MG4 is also an option .

A dilemma indeed and I don’t envy you as I have changed my mind on this subject so many times over the last few months, just when i thought I had it sorted another model popped up !!

If i were in your shoes i would go Dolphin , as you already have the H6 PHEV for longer trips, but that would be purely for financial reasons and might not be your case.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I have to add that while i quite like a sunroof, albeit not used frequently, it is refreshing on those mountain trips and evening rides, am happy to see the Dolphin here is not equipped with a sunroof .

The reason being that in the Chinese/European versions a sunroof ( actually a glass roof ) is fitted and has caused a big dip in the headlining for the sunshade mechanism reducing headroom significantly, picked up quickly by reviewers.

IMG_0398.thumb.png.8f0b5a0d5ba689de9fdc9167f05ae5dd.png

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

They did have a very fetching EP+ in metallic red (there is not supposed to be a red in Thailand) sticker price 998k but still available at 771k.  The EP+ makes all other BEV's look expensive!

Temp2.jpg

Yes it does, with original ฿247k gov't incentive.  Seems most new models on the market are only offering ~฿150k

Thankfully MG ZS's gov't incentive is still ฿240k, if wanting something shorter & sitting higher ????

Still obsessing about trying to get a cool (not hot) EV with a stupid glass roof.

Thinking about buying a Tesla and don’t want to have to pay ฿50,000 extra for white colour (the free colour everywhere else)

IMG_0381.thumb.jpeg.c0dda0426803ef486acabf3b35a2e839.jpeg

https://youtu.be/iDVrfLad3Es

Then buy a Black car and wrap in white or silver including the glass roof.

IMG_0382.jpeg.e31e0aadeeb5a5d62fccf750a58cbca6.jpeg

https://youtu.be/iDVrfLad3Es

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

Then buy a Black car and wrap in white or silver including the glass roof.

Wrapping a Tesla makes a lot of sense, not only is it cheaper than their colours, it also protects the paintwork and in Chiang Rai only costs 25k

Don't forget to change the colour on the Tabien Rod, I did get stopped by the BiB with my blue MG4 asking if it was a wrap, I think they were itching for some Tea Money.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

I can stretch to the 1.2 million needed for the Atto 3 but the 400k I would save by getting the Dolphin would also get me lots of other goodies lol ???? 

Dilemma indeed… 555

Yes, it was 450k in pocket when i chose between the ZS ICE and the Corolla Cross, celebrated with another mb ( that’s motorbike not Mercedes Benz !!, am not Rockefeller ).

Got the chance of a Jolion Hybrid Ultra in white ( i might have mentioned my attraction to this car before ???? ) ex showroom car with all the warranty and freebies at 140k discount, for the longer trips . If it comes off will look at the Dolphin for local trips, charging at home.

Barring that will go for the Atto 3 and maybe keep the ICE for the longer trips, depends on how the CS infrastructure keeps up with the EV invasion.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

Still obsessing about trying to get a cool (not hot) EV with a stupid glass roof.

Thinking about buying a Tesla and don’t want to have to pay ฿50,000 extra for white colour (the free colour everywhere else)

i looked into tesla,  it's still on my list, but not in my top 3 ...

what i do like about tesla: software, performance, spacious and the consumtion ...

what I don't like about tesla: build quality, sunroof, no ventilated seats, no driver instrument display,

no head-up display, (for the moment) the only service centre is in bangkok, premium price in thailand,

but the interior doesn't feel premium,   a unpredictable elon musk ....

on the 7.june volvo will introduce the new all electric ex30 ... that could be an interesting alternative ...

Edited by motdaeng
  • Love It 1

31 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

I got something in my inbox about the new MG VS HEV having a 100k discount, that would bring the top model down to 819k.  What I like about this car is its instrument display, it looks like it's copied from a Benz E-Class, I prefer it to the Jolion it's competing with, especially in Green.

Temp2.jpg

Indeed, the interior is very nice, that double screen works very well, not so sure about the grill that merges into the paintwork though.

Saw one when I had a nosy round my local showroom on a service last week, in white with the black roof looks pretty nice and fits in with the latest trend , most Toyotas I see on the road recently seem to have adopted this.

But yes that green is nice also.

IMG_0411.jpeg.25ef6124377fc46194057020ca9e9eee.jpeg

Edited by Andrew Dwyer
  • Thumbs Up 1

57 minutes ago, motdaeng said:

on the 7.june volvo will introduce the new all electric ex30 ... that could be an interesting alternative ...

Yeah I am waiting for this. It's going to be packed with safety tech (including Lidar I believe) and it is also going to go like stink with the dual motor version hitting 60mph in around four seconds. Also going to be a fair bit cheaper than the all electric XC40 and C40 so could be a really interesting proposal. My main concern is the size as I don't know how small it is going to be, if still comfortable for two teenage kids in the back I'll be interested as I am a big fan of electric Volvos.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

not so sure about the grill that merges into the paintwork though.

Saw one when I had a nosy round my local showroom on a service last week, in white with the black roof looks pretty nice and fits in with the latest trend , most Toyotas I see on the road recently seem to have adopted this.

The grille thing is a trend I like, especially if it illuminates (which I think it does).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, motdaeng said:

i looked into tesla,  it's still on my list, but not in my top 3 ...

what i do like about tesla: software, performance, spacious and the consumtion ...

what I don't like about tesla: build quality, sunroof, no ventilated seats, no driver instrument display,

no head-up display, (for the moment) the only service centre is in bangkok, premium price in thailand,

but the interior doesn't feel premium,   a unpredictable elon musk ....

100% agree with what you said. Would just add an advantage for Teslas is the charging:

#250kW is faster than most EVs.
#Tesla superchargers have the highest uptime of any charging network.

#Roll up to a Supercharger and plug in and it starts charging straight away, no apps or cards.

#Don’t unplug when you’re fully charged and get hit with idle charges which helps keeps queues short. #Tesla superchargers are Tesla only in Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/17/2023 at 3:21 PM, JBChiangRai said:

I paid a deposit on the Dual Motor version a few months back, I get the first one in Chiang Rai.

On 5/17/2023 at 3:19 PM, 3NUMBAS said:

MG cyberstar is delicious buy 1 right away

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

The grille thing is a trend I like, especially if it illuminates (which I think it does).

I’m not sure it does illuminate, it’s called an “Electrified Matrix Grille “ but i think the electrified part is because of the blue “ eyebrows “ , as Thai like to call them, above and below the grille. The rear of the VS is disappointing as it is almost identical to the ZS.

Haval has done a good impression of MG VS grille with their recently released Xiaolong Max.

IMG_0419.jpeg.aeb64bf018b12f10ff809028a1cb4cd6.jpeg

50 minutes ago, Alotoftravel said:

Those looking at dolphin , have you looked at neta 5, 

comments? They have a promotion till the end of the month .

free one year insurance , registration , for 549k 

The Neta V looks rather nice on the outside. Also LFP battery and VTL capable, but they don’t provide the adapter, unlike BYD (MG charges 8-10,000 baht for the adapter also).

Unfortunately, for me, that’s where the good points end. The build quality is nowhere near BYD and the materials are definitely budget, Ride quality left a lot to be desired and the interior is far from modern. No CarPlay/Android Auto either also the infotainment panel can screen mirror your phone which is a pretty nifty feature - not sure how reliable it is though. They also give a free wall charger but not installation.

I deleted it off my shortlist already.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Yes, it was 450k in pocket when i chose between the ZS ICE and the Corolla Cross, celebrated with another mb ( that’s motorbike not Mercedes Benz !!, am not Rockefeller ).

Got the chance of a Jolion Hybrid Ultra in white ( i might have mentioned my attraction to this car before ???? ) ex showroom car with all the warranty and freebies at 140k discount, for the longer trips . If it comes off will look at the Dolphin for local trips, charging at home.

Barring that will go for the Atto 3 and maybe keep the ICE for the longer trips, depends on how the CS infrastructure keeps up with the EV invasion.

Unless you need 2 cars, have you given any thought to the Haval H6 PHEV? Since you can charge at home, you are assured of a full charge every morning. That will easily give you a real world range of 150 kms. Longer trips are a no brainer (I drove to KL and back, charging where I could and petrol at other times)

I rate the interior above Atto 3. It loses out in not having LFP battery and V2L. Android Auto is wireless (BYD doesn’t support AA atm but says there will be a software update soon). Unfortunately it’s also 500,00 baht more expensive - big downside lol but you are getting a lot of car for the mone.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gweiloman said:

Unless you need 2 cars, have you given any thought to the Haval H6 PHEV? Since you can charge at home, you are assured of a full charge every morning. That will easily give you a real world range of 150 kms. Longer trips are a no brainer (I drove to KL and back, charging where I could and petrol at other times)

I rate the interior above Atto 3. It loses out in not having LFP battery and V2L. Android Auto is wireless (BYD doesn’t support AA atm but says there will be a software update soon). Unfortunately it’s also 500,00 baht more expensive - big downside lol but you are getting a lot of car for the mone.

Yes, I was all set for the H6 PHEV when it was announced, despite it being bigger than I want/need, but then the price came and i got dismayed, held out for a Jolion PHEV but it never transpired.

But I see your point, a Jolion and a Dolphin together would be more than the H6 PHEV, although did a deal today on Joe Lion at 845k so worked out less by 50k ish !

I think the Dolphin will be ideal for local stuff, charging at home, and Joe for the longer stuff.

Did an impromptu week away recently, Ayutthaya to Nakhon si Thammarat with stops in Prachuap, Chumphon and Hua Hin, nearly 2000 km. Some would argue that i paid dearly for gas but for trips of this length i prefer more carefree mode of travel.

The H6 is a desirable machine without a doubt but i think it would be too much to handle for the little lady.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Unfortunately, I already have a solar power installation with batteries, but can't help wondering how 869,000 baht for an entry level MG4 compares to a 50 Kw LFP Battery, Charger & Inverter bought separately for Emergency Power, with the bonus you can go out & about in it!  Also. the battery comes with an 8 year warranty, I suspect most solar installations in the UK have a useless warranty or none at all.

Yep ... if our ZS has motor oops after warranty, and silly priced to replace, I know where the battery pack is going.   Right to our solar system.  Even at 50% capacity, it's would be more ESS juice than we have now.

• Like 1