Electric Vehicles in Thailand

41 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

MG 4 has LFP batteries which I would prefer over Volvo’s NMC

Yes.

42 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

MG4 has V2L which would work great with my solar setup to keep me off grid

Yes, this is something that interests me. The Seal, which I have ordered, has V2L.

42 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

Volvo nor any reviewer has mentioned V2L

It looks like the EX30 doesn't have it. I wonder why.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, matchar said:

And even better, MG is nearly half the price of the Volvo.

I can't blame the Chinese for using British soft power for marketing purposes. Buying the MG brand has worked out very well for SAIC...shrewd business IMO.

At last, someone agrees that the Chinese used the MG name to sell their cheap ride...Thank you...........:clap2:

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Henryford said:

Are people fooled into buying a "Volvo" when it's just another piece of Chinese crap trying to pretend it's a proper car, like MG.

I'm not so sure the Volvo is a Chinese designed car, or it is just assembled there with Volvo expertise regarding parts etc, but I am sure JB & Mr.MG will clear that up for me, shortly.................????

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

41 minutes ago, transam said:

I'm not so sure the Volvo is a Chinese designed car, or it is just assembled there with Volvo expertise regarding parts etc, but I am sure JB & Mr.MG will clear that up for me, shortly.................????

I can't say for certain but my money is on them both being 99% Chinese (if not 100%)

4 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Volvo still has headquarters in Sweden, R & D in California and a plant in South Carolina. 

Volvo is a Chinese company, it is owned by Geely who pull the strings, let's not fool ourselves, any offices in Sweden are "window dressing".  Manufacturing locations are down to local logistical reasons.

Volvo cars are as much Swedish as MG cars are British (and I own a Chinese MG).

Edited by JBChiangRai

19 hours ago, matchar said:

And even better, MG is nearly half the price of the Volvo.

I can't blame the Chinese for using British soft power for marketing purposes. Buying the MG brand has worked out very well for SAIC...shrewd business IMO.

Actually SAIC didn't buy MG MG was sold to the Nanjing Automobile Group which later merge with SAIC

On 15 April 2005, it was announced that SAIC had once again rejected pleas to buy out the company.

SAIC seemed to be more interested in the Rover Brand which Ford purchased the vehicle marque from BMW if you look at the old Rover car badge and the Roewe badge they look similar in design and shape

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roewe#:~:text=Roewe

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MG_Rover_Group

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

Volvo is a Chinese company, it is owned by Geely who pull the strings, let's not fool ourselves, any offices in Sweden are "window dressing".  Manufacturing locations are down to local logistical reasons.

Are you sure about who pulls the strings

n February 2020, Volvo and Geely announced that they had started formal discussions about a merger of business. Geely had owned 100% of Volvo, but Volvo Cars had largely been allowed autonomy with its resources.[44] These merger talks were later halted, and 18% of Volvo Cars shares were listed on the Nasdaq Stockholm stock exchange in October 2021.[45]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvo_Cars

It would appear while both Brands develop joint ventures ,

Geely approach with Volvo is while your making a profit for us we will leave you to do your own thing

3 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

Volvo was an American company before it was Chinese. 

1 minute ago, Yellowtail said:

Indeed, I did say that.

If Geely hadn't bought Volvo, I very much doubt they would be making EV's today.  They would probably still be making big heavy tanks for older drivers.  And MG would be making cars that break down all the time.

Volvo are as much Swedish and MG are British as BYD are American (Warren Buffet).

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Indeed, I did say that.

If Geely hadn't bought Volvo, I very much doubt they would be making EV's today.  They would probably still be making big heavy tanks for older drivers.  And MG would be making cars that break down all the time.

Volvo are as much Swedish and MG are British as BYD are American (Warren Buffet).

"MG cars break down all the time", that is typical bar stool cr@p........... ????

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

16 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Yes, both SAAB and Volvo was nearly broken in American hands (Same thing with Nokia, although that's another story). At least Volvo was saved by the Chinese. SAAB not so much, yet...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Maybe before British Leyland, but BL had an appalling reputation.  I had a Midget and a B, the B rarely started in the rain.

Then you should have serviced it properly, I have worked on loads of MG's, had a couple of my own.

Here's one for you, you a performance guy.............????

1280px-1989_MG_Metro_Turbo_1.3_Front.jpg

24 minutes ago, transam said:

"MG cars break down all the time", that is typical bar stool cr@p........... ????

and yet

10 minutes ago, transam said:

Then you should have serviced it properly, I have worked on loads of MG's, had a couple of my own.

... nuff said

• Love It 2

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

and yet

... nuff said

Which means, they were serviced properly with few real problems. 

Though I do recall your USA home crew couldn't service an MGB, which is hilarious, Mr. MG..................????

MGB, from 1962-80, and basic engineering of the era....................????

18 minutes ago, transam said:

Here's one for you, you a performance guy.............????

1280px-1989_MG_Metro_Turbo_1.3_Front.jpg

Celery, MG Metro, both girly cars and you have long hair…

Is there something you are trying to tell us transman?

• Like 1

Just now, Ralf001 said:

So fairly common for them to need work then..... reliable you say....

Bwahahahahahahahaha

A service schedule is not "needs" work, Ralphy, it is a planned routine, so do try and keep up with this motoring stuff, I know it can be confusing, like buying stuff off the shelf......................:clap2:..................????

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Celery, MG Metro, both girly cars and you have long hair…

Is there something you are trying to tell us transman?

I never owned that Metro, I don't have long hair, I was pointing it out for you....:tongue:

Yes, I have been trying to tell you a Chinese MG and its sales pitch is a smokescreen to sell a cheap Chinese car.....Remember.............:clap2:

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, transam said:

Which means, they were serviced properly with few real problems. 

Though I do recall your USA home crew couldn't service an MGB, which is hilarious, Mr. MG..................????

MGB, from 1962-80, and basic engineering of the era....................????

Again, you keep repeating the same false spinThey could service them, no problem, but unfortunately, needed to quite often.  

• Haha 1