Electric Vehicles in Thailand

I can’t believe I forgot about this from the test drive:

Below 25kph, or thereabouts, the car emits a sound which is designed to alert pedestrians that there is an EV close at hand. In most countries, EVs are required to have such a sound for safety reasons.

That’s well and good, but the Seal’s sound is pretty bizarre. It sounds like they sourced it from a Hollywood sound effects library filed under Banshee Wailing Sound or Eerie Wind Noise in a Haunted House. The pitch of it varies, y'know, just like the sound a banshee makes.

Very strange!

I’m surprised none of the other testers mentioned it.

Wooooooohhhhh!

Edited by macahoom
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, macahoom said:

I can’t believe I forgot about this from the test drive:

Below 25kph, or thereabouts, the car emits a sound which is designed to alert pedestrians that there is an EV close at hand. In most countries, EVs are required to have such a sound for safety reasons.

That’s well and good, but the Seal’s sound is pretty bizarre. It sounds like they sourced it from a Hollywood sound effects library filed under Banshee Wailing Sound or Eerie Wind Noise in a Haunted House. The pitch of it varies, y'know, just like the sound a banshee makes.

Very strange!

I’m surprised none of the other testers mentioned it.

Wooooooohhhhh!

Same as the Atto 3 ?, under 30 kph emits a pedestrian awareness synthetic sound, 2 actually which have been described as a space ship or ice cream truck !!

Heard it in a Seal YouTube video with that Irish fella.

On the Atto it is possible to unplug the speaker under a plastic cover right at the front of bonnet, of course safety concerns means some people aren’t prepared to unplug this.
But wrapping the speaker with a couple of layers of tape seems sufficient to reduce the sound, still audible outside but less so inside.

Of course, it may be hard wired in the Seal or difficult to access, time will tell.

Edited by Andrew Dwyer
  • Thumbs Up 1

the finance business is making a nice profit!

i know some people (including foreigners) who think it's a good deal to pay only 1.88%.

in this example it's around 3.65% because you reduce your debt every month, but you still

have to pay every (48) months the 1.88% interest on the initial debt!

20230929.png

• Thumbs Up 2

30 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

Price of the BYD Seal in Thailand v Europe. So much cheaper here.

IMG_1237.thumb.jpeg.74969fb8a5fc3822a17e0c587c18c772.jpeg

It appears the Chinese manufacturers are loath to get challenged for dumping products as the French car companies have their panties in a tangle........ with vehicle prices like this in Europe, the EU anti-dumping probe will be another demonstration how to screw their own people

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Pib said:

Since the EU applies a 10% import duty tax on Chinese cars (the U.S. applies a 27.5% tax) compared to Thailand which does not charge an import duty on Chinese cars, has lowered the BEV excise tax from 8 to 2%, and currently has a healthy BEV cash subsidy it appears above EU and Thailand price difference boils down to taxes/subsidy. 

Good point. Normally EVs are more expensive here. Be interesting to see the BYD Seal price in Australia when it’s announced next month.

Tesla model 3 was much more expensive here than in Australia 

1463407712_TeslaModel3StdAUS08Apr2023.thumb.png.160b9a28edf5c1a7cd159bef373689dc.png1822098374_TeslaModel3StdThai08Apr2023.thumb.png.7e91f45386e9c1da0fa58760c858e15f.png

This is handy for checking the differences between the 3 specs of BYD Seal and the colours available etc .

https://autolifethailand.tv/unofficial-price-byd-seal-ev-bev-thailand/

I don’t see any mention of the built in dash cam that was in the Atto 3 but missing from the Dolphin ( although the camera can be bought and fit to the Dolphin very easily ).

Anyone ?

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, matchar said:

Not to mention 20% VAT compared to Thailand's 7%.

Yea...ain't that the truth....I was writing my post above about how VAT also has a BIG impact on vehicle prices (and many other things)....I hit Submit on my post and then saw your post on the same subject. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Anyone looking to buy a used Atto 3 ?, now is the time, seen about 12 wanting to sell on FB today.

The day after the Seal announcement …….. coincidence ? ….. i think not !

Looks like BYD aren’t taking part exchange or just giving the usual p1ss poor price for the “ turn “.

Anyone ?

58 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I don’t see any mention of the built in dash cam that was in the Atto 3 but missing from the Dolphin ( although the camera can be bought and fit to the Dolphin very easily ).

Anyone ?

Asked the girl during the test drive and she said yes it had a dash-cam but I will try and follow up with her - we have left her a bunch of Qs she couldn’t answer. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

Asked the girl during the test drive and she said yes it had a dash-cam but I will try and follow up with her - we have left her a bunch of Qs she couldn’t answer. 

Okay thanks, a few Dolphin owners were surprised to learn that although the relevant button was on the info screen and the slot for sd card was there the dash cam wasn’t working, only to learn that a camera wasn’t fitted !, but can be bought for 3k and fitted diy.

15 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Anyone looking to buy a used Atto 3 ?, now is the time, seen about 12 wanting to sell on FB today.

The day after the Seal announcement …….. coincidence ? ….. i think not !

Looks like BYD aren’t taking part exchange or just giving the usual p1ss poor price for the “ turn “.

Anyone ?

You have a link to the FB cars?

2 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

You have a link to the FB cars?

Here’s someone asking for an Atto in white or gray, low mileage, good condition.

Plenty of replies to this post and others wanting to sell, all around the 1.0 to 1.1 million mark which is a bit hopeful I think.IMG_1287.thumb.jpeg.7fbc439693d86e038f47e3cb7127531c.jpeg

1 minute ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Here’s someone asking for an Atto in white or gray, low mileage, good condition.

Plenty of replies to this post and others wanting to sell, all around the 1.0 to 1.1 million mark which is a bit hopeful I think.IMG_1287.thumb.jpeg.7fbc439693d86e038f47e3cb7127531c.jpeg

Should be 20-25% cheaper than new

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Should be 20-25% cheaper than new

Yup, a few desperate souls out there after taking a look at Seal.

Here’s one asking 1.1 million with 20k on the clock.

But he has put every accessory going :

sidestep, spoiler, black roof , ceramic coating, 15.6” screen, Frunk and gas struts, kick sensor and wheels and tyres !!

IMG_1289.jpeg.e22b13a3ea448f62675f7abb918e9020.jpeg

IMG_1290.jpeg.c4a0bed9c94eeb00c9b72146e18c5a23.jpeg

Edited by Andrew Dwyer
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1