Electric Vehicles in Thailand

1 minute ago, Bandersnatch said:

Update on buying my BYD Seal RWD LR

Forgot to mention that we asked the dealer about a trade-in. I bought a pick-up truck while we were building the house and it has sat unloved and unused for a few years now.

Asked the dealer about it  - she said that they could only give us the Tent price and yes it was a joke.

Charged the battery and had it washed and polished, then stuck it on FB Market Place. We asked ฿150,000 more than the Tent offered and had a deposit within 2 hours.

IMG_2128.thumb.jpeg.37c4b80361ba779a08d0334e4bcd811d.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 2

46 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

Update on buying my BYD Seal RWD LR

This will be the 7th new car/truck I have purchased in Thailand, so you think I would be getting the hang of it by now  - it has never gone smoothly …..until now.

I was expecting a fight to get the freebie items listed below included on the contract - no fight necessary ????

Car dealers like to give you a copy of the contract, then ask for it back when you pick up the vehicle - what the heck is that about! 

“Yes you will be given the top copy of the contract”

“Yes it is yours to keep” ????

Sun protection for the glass roof included free

No dash cam but can fit what you like no warranty issues

We decided to go for 25% deposit 48 month finance. I will be borrowing approximately 1 million Baht, but I have more than that in Thai Banks  - always easier to borrow money if you can show you don’t need it. My wife has never had a pay-slip so we will be relying on my income

We expected to have to drive back to the dealer to discuss finance, but they arranged for a bank girl to come us. She called us yesterday for an initial discussion and she seemed shocked I already had the amount I wanted to borrow. 

Will share more later

IMG_1230.thumb.jpeg.aa9a9dac8728230237c9030cd49be274.jpeg

My recommendation - don't skimp on the window tint film, go with a high quality ceramic version, they are worth every penny additional cost. The best films reflect the light, not absorb it - in the latter case, it totally negates the intended purpose as the light will be converted into heat, and because most films are a very dark color, they get very hot - think black floor vs. white floor tiles.

That freebee film might just not be that good of a deal after all.........

I decided to get 40 on the windshield, front doors 60, and 80 for all the rest, incl. roof........ compromise based on wifey's desire to go 40 all around.

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, mistral53 said:

My recommendation - don't skimp on the window tint film, go with a high quality ceramic version, they are worth every penny additional cost. The best films reflect the light, not absorb it - in the latter case, it totally negates the intended purpose as the light will be converted into heat, and because most films are a very dark color, they get very hot - think black floor vs. white floor tiles.

That freebee film might just not be that good of a deal after all.........

I decided to get 40 on the windshield, front doors 60, and 80 for all the rest, incl. roof........ compromise based on wifey's desire to go 40 all around.

On the roof glass, I'd say forget ceramic and go for old school metallic, unlike the windows where the metal blocks phone and gps signals, the roof doesn't need ceramic, old style metallic ting film reflects heat better and cost less than ceramic film

only maybe if you want your roof to match your window

3 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

We decided to go for 25% deposit 48 month finance. I will be borrowing approximately 1 million Baht,

Is it possible to get a loan as a retiree here (not working in Thailand) , offshore pension income . I was informed we could not . Just checking .i too have the amount in the bank 

3 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

No dash cam but can fit what you like no warranty issue

Did you mean you can add that small BYD camera and splice into their 

Wiring harness (video install instructions ) without impacting the car warranty?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alotoftravel said:

Is it possible to get a loan as a retiree here (not working in Thailand) , offshore pension income . I was informed we could not . Just checking .i too have the amount in the bank 

Wiring harness (video install instructions ) without impacting the car warranty?

Not sure if the Byd camera is sufficient to meet insurance discount as there is no sound or rear camera personally I don't think the Byd camera should be called a dash cam because clearly it isn't

4 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

My Benz had nearer 95% or 99% tint on the sunroof, the sun appeared as a dark purple blob..

I always go for 40% reduction all round.  My first car here I went with 60 or 80 on the side windows (I can't remember which) and at night time I had to lower the windows to see if the junction was free.

I agree with you on the cheaper films, my MG4 came with free film, and it's rubbish, I can't see it lasting more than a 2-3 years.

I find the use of 80, 60, 40% tinting terminology as misleading because each tint manufacturer has widely varying versions of tint and how much visible light they block/transmitted.   But that terminology is commonly used in Thailand.

Like on the Atto 3 I'm buying I ordered Lamina CM One tint with 80% for the sunroof (to use the dealership's tint terminology) but the actual visible light blocking is 94% per the Lamina brochure....40% for the windshield but the actual visible light blocking is 63%, and 60% for the hatchback window/door windows but the actual visible light blocking is 83%.  I already have similar Lamina tinting on my Fortuner and I can see out fine even at night (still got good eyes).  Plus the dealership said 80% on the sunroof, 40% on the windshield, and 60 or 40% on all remaining windows is what the great majority of folks order.  

I have found an Android app named "Light Meter - Lux & Kelvin" is a great little app to measure visible light levels like putting it on one side of the window (or sample tint) and then on the other....then do a little simple math to determine the percentage of light reduction and you can double check tinting visible light specs...figure out what tinting level is currently on a vehicle, etc.   Below is a link to the app on Google Play.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bti.lightMeter&hl=en&gl=US

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Pib said:

I find the use of 80, 60, 40% tinting terminology as misleading because each tint manufacturer has widely varying versions of tint and how much visible light they block/transmitted.   But that terminology is commonly used in Thailand.

Like on the Atto 3 I'm buying I ordered Lamina CM One tint with 80% for the sunroof (to use the dealership's tint terminology) but the actual visible light blocking is 94% per the Lamina brochure....40% for the windshield but the actual visible light blocking is 63%, and 60% for the hatchback window/door windows but the actual visible light blocking is 83%.  I already have similar Lamina tinting on my Fortuner and I can see out fine even at night (still got good eyes).  Plus the dealership said 80% on the sunroof, 40% on the windshield, and 60 or 40% on all remaining windows is what the great majority of folks order.  

I have found an Android app named "Light Meter - Lux & Kelvin" is a great little app to measure visible light levels like putting it on one side of the window (or sample tint) and then on the other....then do a little simple math to determine the percentage of light reduction and you can double check tinting visible light specs...figure out what tinting level is currently on a vehicle, etc.   Below is a link to the app on Google Play.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bti.lightMeter&hl=en&gl=US

In Thailand 40% generally means it blocks about 40% of the light, in America The Former Colonies, it means it allows 40% of the light through.

I am surprised at Lamina's definition, it doesn't really mean anything, it's a product name.

• Love It 1

4 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

In Thailand 40% generally means it blocks about 40% of the light, in America The Former Colonies, it means it allows 40% of the light through.

I am surprised at Lamina's definition, it doesn't really mean anything, it's a product name.

Believe me....just going with the 80, 60, 40% ballpark terminology is not a good way to choose tinting....ALWAYS look at sample tints in the brochure and look at the actual specs.   And better yet try to set in a car with certain tinting already installed.   

Like where BYD would use the terminology of 80% for the Lamina CM One 05 film, its actual "transmitted light" spec (per Lamina specs below) is 6% light gets thru which mean 94% is blocked.  CM One 15  is 17% of the light get thru and 83% blocked, etc. 

image.png.009a39b48ef509e1e9e861297c5149c4.png

I was reading that insurers in the UK are now refusing to renew cover on EVs, or charging very high premiums due to the high cost of repair. Is there any sign of this happening in Thailand yet?

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2023/sep/30/the-quotes-were-5000-or-more-electric-vehicle-owners-face-soaring-insurance-costs

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, Alotoftravel said:

In the past we successfuly got the loan in my wife’s name with support from my bank statements and deposits here.

14 hours ago, Alotoftravel said:

Any camera can be wired in without impacting warranty.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

I jusr renewed the insurance on my daughter's 1 year old MG EP+, the dealer quoted 19,000 baht but we went with Roojai for 8,800 baht with a max cover of 610,000 baht.  I would have preferred a higher coverage but they wouldn't go any higher.

Yea...the dealership-provided 1st year free insurance is typically more expensive to continue/renew compared to arranging you own insurance with another insurance company. 

Or at least that's the way it worked for me even back in 2010 after my 1st year of Toyota-provided insurance for my 2009 Fortuner came up for renewal.  Via my insurance broker by switching to another insurer (LMG) the premium for the 1st class insurance was a lot lower...and I've been with them (LMG) ever since.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

My Benz had nearer 95% or 99% tint on the sunroof, the sun appeared as a dark purple blob..

I always go for 40% reduction all round.  My first car here I went with 60 or 80 on the side windows (I can't remember which) and at night time I had to lower the windows to see if the junction was free.

I agree with you on the cheaper films, my MG4 came with free film, and it's rubbish, I can't see it lasting more than a 2-3 years.

Our Benz came without any film … we asked for what they allowed to be put against the price of the car … then chose our own film … but have to admit the car was a bit hot for a few days ………lol

10 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

0-100 time compared to price in Thailand. Where do you get most Bang for your Baht

IMG_1267.thumb.jpeg.3e8279bf8d567fbd0aa2e1add4ace64e.jpeg

No MGs ... W T F

I don't think I really need to get to 100kph in <10 secs.  I think the ZS is something like 8.2-8.9.  More than peppy enough.

The power is nice passing on short stretches of road, where you might not with an ICEV, since not having the performance level of the EV.

I guess we'll just keep put puttin' ... oops ... mmm mmm  along in our cheap A$$ Chinese family car.   Maybe buy a house or 10, with the baht saved ????

Them some silly A$$ prices ????

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, JBChiangRai said:

That's probably as long as it takes KhunLA to put his teeth in ????

Hey ... W T 

... no choppers falling out, yet, almost a full set, and only missing 2, thankfully.

• Love It 1