Electric Vehicles in Thailand

@Bandersnatch posted from the manual that the engine sounds simulator can be switched on and off but I am not so sure it can be truly turned off, only change the sounds.

Saw a couple of of FB posters questioning that and all the replies were the usual unplug the speaker/turn the music up replies!

@mistral53  , if you get chance.

12 minutes ago, Pib said:

It always interesting how much the "value of freebies" are determined by sellers/manufacturers.   I'm sure they use the generous full retail value say like for the 1st class insurance, wall charger with installation, extra warranty, etc....full retail prices that few people would pay if buying each one individually.   But hey, freebies are good even if their value is overstated by the manufacturer/seller.

The same applies for the atto3 with a freebie value of over B180,000 

someone paying cash instead of 30% down and 4 years of installments their total freebie value is devalued by B63,162 unless the manufacturer provides a similar amount as a cash discount which most manufacturers don't normally it worth pushing the dealer for extra equipment which has 2 values the retail value that they sell for and the trade value that they buy

https://www.reverautomotive.com/rever-care

24 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

@Bandersnatch posted from the manual that the engine sounds simulator can be switched on and off but I am not so sure it can be truly turned off, only change the sounds.

Saw a couple of of FB posters questioning that and all the replies were the usual unplug the speaker/turn the music up replies!

@mistral53  , if you get chance.

17 minutes ago, mistral53 said:

Since I am old and ugly, I try to stay away from posing.........lol ....

As soon as I saw your reason about not being in the picture my brain figured you were probably an international criminal on the run.  But after checking all Interpol Red Notices and the FBI Most Wanted List I didn't see "mistral53" wanted anywhere.   So, I now take your statement as the total truth.  ????

Oh yea, Congrats...beautiful wife and car.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, mistral53 said:

Since I am old and ugly, I try to stay away from posing.........lol  so wifey was victimized for the obligatory handover pictures.

It's a performance version, did some runabout around town, battery is still at over 80%.

For those of you using the MG wallbox - as expected, it works, pumping electrons at 7kW.

What I find annoying is that lots of the infotainment functions, including navigation, and the BYD app, are not working for the first 7 days. I wonder whether this is a Thai thing (more than one company has to mesh) or whether this is so all over the world?

photo_2023-10-03_12-21-16.jpg

Thanks for the update. Like you I will charge from MG wall box initially so good to know it works.

I tend to use apple car play and Google Maps for navigation, but thanks for the heads up about the apps 

40 minutes ago, mistral53 said:

What I find annoying is that lots of the infotainment functions, including navigation, and the BYD app, are not working for the first 7 days. I wonder whether this is a Thai thing (more than one company has to mesh) or whether this is so all over the world?

Must be a world wide thing as various people in this reddit thread, like in Sweden, , Brazil, Denmark, Thailand, etc., talk how it takes 7 to 10 days for the car to be registered in the BYD system.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mistral53 said:

Since I am old and ugly, I try to stay away from posing.........lol  so wifey was victimized for the obligatory handover pictures.

It's a performance version, did some runabout around town, battery is still at over 80%.

For those of you using the MG wallbox - as expected, it works, pumping electrons at 7kW.

photo_2023-10-03_12-21-16.jpg

That’s a head turner you have got yourself there, congratulations !!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

That’s a head turner you have got yourself there, congratulations !!

Thanks. Indeed - I noticed M/C drivers in particular are gawking, the model is definitely very new and unique, and the color fits this car very well.

• Thumbs Up 1

Went to land transport today to check I had the correct paperwork to sell a vehicle (deposit for the BYD Seal purchase) Sometimes Yellow House Books are not considered proof address,  it seems to vary by province.

“You bought it in another province. Have to go back to that province to sell it. Or you could transfer the vehicle to this province but that takes at least a week”

I did try to transfer the vehicle to my new province when I moved here but LT said it wasn’t necessary. I tried to insist that I wanted to do the transfer but they insisted it wasn’t necessary.

All of this has pushed back the date to pickup the Seal  - apparently to an unlucky day!  

Edited by Bandersnatch
  • Haha 2

Not sure if anyone is in the BYD Seal Thailand FB group. The admin of the group has a black Seal and was planning to wrap it in PPF but got hit before he could. The black colour clearly shows the white undercoat. 

Anybody thinking of getting a PPF wrap?

He tested the depth of paint and said it was a good standard.

IMG_0453.jpeg.eb431a2ae05b5c757e98ddb348bafe18.jpeg

Here is the video of the damage. Apologies that that it’s in Thai

https://www.facebook.com/groups/bydsealclub/permalink/1007526720466067/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bandersnatch said:

Not sure if anyone is in the BYD Seal Thailand FB group. The admin of the group has a black Seal and was planning to wrap it in PPF but got hit before he could. The black colour clearly shows the white undercoat. 

He tested the depth of paint and said it was a good standard.

IMG_0453.jpeg.eb431a2ae05b5c757e98ddb348bafe18.jpeg

Here is the video of the damage. Apologies that that it’s in Thai

https://www.facebook.com/groups/bydsealclub/permalink/1007526720466067/

I am debating of getting a ceramic coating, I love shiny things  ???? - the wrap just looks dull after a while.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

i'm considering using PPF due to stone chips, minor scratches, tree resin, etc.

but choosing the right material / product (e.g. 3M) and finding a quality workshop

in my area is a different matter. ceramic coating is not really an option for me ...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bandersnatch said:

Like you not much on offer in Surin, but my closest BYD dealer in next door in Buriram home of motor racing with many more options. Plan to contact them later today get some information.

the offer in buriram appears quite promising. the cost being under 30k surprises me.

however, be aware that paint protection film (PPF) can vary in terms of quality, lifespan,

and guarantees. it seems like there's more homework to do ... :biggrin:

1 hour ago, motdaeng said:

the offer in buriram appears quite promising. the cost being under 30k surprises me.

however, be aware that paint protection film (PPF) can vary in terms of quality, lifespan,

and guarantees. it seems like there's more homework to do ... :biggrin:

wife contacted them and asked for quote for PPF wrap for Seal. They responded with details of promotion for ceramic coating! 

14 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

wife contacted them and asked for quote for PPF wrap for Seal. They responded with details of promotion for ceramic coating

i know how that feels like!

eg. when i ask (in thai) a shop staff about the price of an item,

i often receive the unhelpful response "it's not expensive" ... :sad:

11 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I do not see the point of the non-decorative wraps. 

"Car PPF, or Paint Protection Film, is a transparent and thin layer of film applied to the exterior of a vehicle to protect its paint from stone chips, bug splatter, bird droppings, road tar, and other potential damages. PPF is often made of polyurethane or a similar material that is resistant to abrasions and impacts.

The primary purpose of PPF is to provide an additional layer of defense for a vehicle's paint, helping maintain its appearance and resale value over time. It can be self-healing to a certain extent, meaning minor scratches and swirl marks can disappear with exposure to heat."

5 minutes ago, motdaeng said:

"Car PPF, or Paint Protection Film, is a transparent and thin layer of film applied to the exterior of a vehicle to protect its paint from stone chips, bug splatter, bird droppings, road tar, and other potential damages. PPF is often made of polyurethane or a similar material that is resistant to abrasions and impacts.

The primary purpose of PPF is to provide an additional layer of defense for a vehicle's paint, helping maintain its appearance and resale value over time. It can be self-healing to a certain extent, meaning minor scratches and swirl marks can disappear with exposure to heat."

I know what it is, I just do not see the point of it. 

It's like seat-covers, spending money now, for something that does not look as nice, in hopes of a higher resale value later seems silly to me. 

• Like 1