Electric Vehicles in Thailand

59 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

You are right, the car was less 95% and yes the manual says 95% for best result.

Will do another run when I have the chance 

Feed your Seal an Energizer treat (preferably a D-Cell)  just before doing the run....it will beat 3.8 seconds for sure!!!  :wink:

image.png.44fdf86a9907baf7bde9f94227e014cf.png

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bandersnatch said:

You are right, the car was less 95% and yes the manual says 95% for best result.

Will do another run when I have the chance 

Does the Seal have launch control?

On the high performance VAG EV Sport Coupe’s, Launch control boosts the output power for a few seconds.

Edited by JBChiangRai

6 minutes ago, Alotoftravel said:

Hi

Can someone help me understand ev PluZ pricing . This morning before their peak hour . I look at their ev PluZ app , this station states that it is 9.00 thb/kwh. Isn’t it suppose to be 5.5?

thanks .IMG_2926.thumb.jpeg.2c380a07b54701b324c1b1cc5cf682a2.jpeg

I asked this question a couple of weeks ago but it looks like gas station prices are 5.5/7.5 baht ( or thereabouts ) but usually in a mall you will pay a premium price of 9 baht for EZ PluZ 

• Agree 1

Hi Andrew,

I understand now , if the charger is in a private area , like a mall instead of in a gas station then ev PluZ charges 9 baht. I just got confused over this particular charger as it was built open air ,  beside a 7 11 with a few eating conveniences along a main road . Appreciate your reply . Thanks 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/16/2023 at 9:42 AM, Klonko said:

Hardly use Plugshare but Apple Maps (CarPlay) which contains almost all CS stations.

I use Charge Loma app on phone, while O&A, and has most locations, until actually deciding when to charge, then go to the vendor app or the one want.   Usually only use plugshare at the house if planning a trip off the main roads, as cross reference/reviews.  Hopefully no surprises.

Vendor apps are good to let you know machines are available once in the area. Very rare that they are not.  As much as I welcome the break while charging, can't say I would be a fan of Q'ing up to charge, so I just go to the next available machine.

image.png.526611ff6b6f65659d81d4a4b178d6c6.png

Edited by KhunLA

20 hours ago, Alotoftravel said:

Can someone help me understand ev PluZ pricing

No sorry I can’t.

Both the app and the charger stations I’ve seen do not state when peak and off-peak times are.

I’ve called the helpline and the times I was told was wrong. 

I did research online and found an old bulletin that stated weekends are off-peak. I tested this and was charged ฿5.5 

I haven’t tried charging before 9am on week days

IMG_2737.thumb.png.796b8918746af4f0eafa72b1c44f6266.png

• Like 1

21 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

Does the Seal have launch control?

Not really, just a fancy timer.

No boost button 

Maybe we’ll get the Ionic 5 N when Hyundai starts importing EV here which does and it also has fake gear changes with the appropriate noises for petrol heads

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

No sorry I can’t.

Both the app and the charger stations I’ve seen do not state when peak and off-peak times are.

I’ve called the helpline and the times I was told was wrong. 

I did research online and found an old bulletin that stated weekends are off-peak. I tested this and was charged ฿5.5 

I haven’t tried charging before 9am on week days

IMG_2737.thumb.png.796b8918746af4f0eafa72b1c44f6266.png

Noticed last week, EV Station Pluz no longer resets the machines at 55 mins after the hour  👍 Off peak of ฿5.5 charged last Sunday.   PEA charge was ฿5.3 on Saturday

• Thanks 1

Little update on using my BYD Seal to power my house.

Normally I prioritise my house batteries, so only when they are fully charged do I start to charge my EVs, but V2L has given me more energy security. So at 09:54 yesterday I plugged in my Seal with the aim of getting the LFPs to 100%

IMG_2843.thumb.png.1cdad7d255c2cc8472c6b420d5fad155.png

IMG_2844.thumb.png.13c7c911804ec1392b445cf020219911.png

2 hours and 21 minutes later I checked and the water cat was fully charged. Car unplugged I waited for the house batteries to start charging, but almost straight away it clouded over and threatened to rain. There was enough power through the clouds to run the house, but not to recharge the house batteries at the same time.

At 6pm it started to get dark so I plugged in V2L and powered the house until 9:36pm at which point the house was shut down for the night on minimum load and there was sufficient power in the house batteries to see me through to morning. 

IMG_2852.thumb.jpeg.c70b01269d34fe66646cdb932d388e72.jpeg

In the morning I charged the house batteries to 80% then plugged in the seal

IMG_2856.thumb.png.8c21918296b3a16dfc98542e8a8dfa5b.png

Edited by Bandersnatch
  • Thumbs Up 2

7 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

Little update on using my BYD Seal to power my house.

Normally I prioritise my house batteries, so only when they are fully charged do I start to charge my EVs, but V2L has given me more energy security. So at 09:54 yesterday I plugged in my Seal with the aim of getting the LFPs to 100%

IMG_2843.thumb.png.1cdad7d255c2cc8472c6b420d5fad155.png

IMG_2844.thumb.png.13c7c911804ec1392b445cf020219911.png

2 hours and 21 minutes later I checked and the water cat was fully charged. Car unplugged I waited for the house batteries to start charging, but almost straight away it clouded over and threatened to rain. There was enough power through the clouds to run the house, but not to recharge the house batteries at the same time.

At 6pm it started to get dark so I plugged in V2L and powered the house until 9:36pm at which point the house was shut down for the night on minimum load and there was sufficient power in the house batteries to see me through to morning. 

IMG_2852.thumb.jpeg.275c900194b8d30a7b3bea5288cb8cb4.jpeg

In the morning I charged the house batteries to 80% then plugged in the seal

IMG_2856.thumb.png.8c21918296b3a16dfc98542e8a8dfa5b.png

Very good! I do not have solar at home, but this is something that interests me very much, particularly the role that the Seal plays.

By the way, would your post not sit more comfortably in either the “My EV can power my home” thread or even the “BYD Seal tips, tricks and help” thread?

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, macahoom said:

Very good! I do not have solar at home, but this is something that interests me very much, particularly the role that the Seal plays.

By the way, would your post not sit more comfortably in either the “My EV can power my home” thread or even the “BYD Seal tips, tricks and help” thread?

That thread has been hijacked by petrol-heads who have no interest and even less understanding of V2L…

But you are right I should give it a try.

Many cars have V2L now so it doesn’t need to be a seal, but I am conflicted where to post sometimes.

Edited by Bandersnatch
  • Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

Did you name it 'Water Cat' or did the app do that itself? 'Water Cat' being the transposed literal translation of the Thai for 'seal' ('maew nam แมวนำ้) - it should really be 'Cat Water' but that's not something you want sprayed on anything electric.

I'll get my coat ...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, BKKBike09 said:

Did you name it 'Water Cat' or did the app do that itself? 'Water Cat' being the transposed literal translation of the Thai for 'seal' ('maew nam แมวนำ้) - it should really be 'Cat Water' but that's not something you want sprayed on anything electric.

It should only be 'Cat Water' if you believe you have to follow the word order of the source language when translating. 

For instance, if you translate 'le ballon rouge' from French, would you say that should really be 'the balloon red' and not 'the red balloon' in English?

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, BKKBike09 said:

I'll get my coat ...

You can name it what you like - I defer to my wife for car names.

I bought her a red Suzuki swift to learn to drive in and it was called Red Mouse (Noo Dang), we swapped it for a red MG HS PHEV called Red Pig (Moo Dang) our red electric motorbike is called Red Ant (Mot Dang)

and yes The White BYD Seal is Water Cat (Maew Nam)

@BKKBike09   Not sure you saw my earlier video?

Mine has been pre-named already back in 1970 when, at the tender age of 9, I discovered this fella and followed him avidly until his early demise ( from great to mediocre ) in 1975.

( fans might be interested to know this version was destined for the Elton John album but didn’t make the cut, reworked it appears 3 years later on GYBR )

Elton is swapping his Rolls Royce Silver Cloud for a BYD Dolphin !! …. allegedly !

Another seamless link back to Electric Vehicles in Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As always thanks for the info .i am going to also try to link my bank account to the pea Volta app instead of top up card . 

Another charging discussion  :

I believe the most efficient time spent to charge at public stations is to dc charge from 20-80 % Soc. Since the time spent from 30-80%  ( eg 35 minutes  ) could be similar as for 80-100%. ( eg another 30 minutes). 

Question : is it correct that you only pay the kWh into the car battery and not time spent . So that means the last 20 % charge of 30 minutes does not cost the same price as first 50% charge even time spent is similar ? 

I do not have home charger and was recommended to charge to 100 % once a week . 

question: if I had already have a 80  % soc .should I use ac charging to top up to 100 % since it will not be advantageous of fast charging as the last 20% charge is throttle down and furthermore ac charging is less “hot” than dc in the car battery ?

thanks again for your comments .

all this is making me sway towards the 61kwh battery than the 44kwh battery of the dolphin even though this is will be my second car and only driven in the city . 555 

17 minutes ago, Alotoftravel said:

Question : is it correct that you only pay the kWh into the car battery and not time spent . So that means the last 20 % charge of 30 minutes does not cost the same price as first 50% charge even time spent is similar ? 

DC yes, but some AC it’s time based.

17 minutes ago, Alotoftravel said:

I do not have home charger and was recommended to charge to 100 % once a week . 

question: if I had already have a 80  % soc .should I use ac charging to top up to 100 % since it will not be advantageous of fast charging as the last 20% charge is throttle down and furthermore ac charging is less “hot” than dc in the car battery ?

I would agree AC is better if you can.

Can’t remember which car you have. This is the advice for BYD LFP blade batteries

IMG_2858.thumb.jpeg.cdcf9fe8825332546699264f0a7daa64.jpeg

Edited by Bandersnatch
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/27/2023 at 3:40 PM, Pib said:

The BYD Dolphin manual says charge to 100% at least once a week which to me it means it's OK to charge to 100% everyday if you desire especially since the Dolphin uses a "LFP" battery which can regularly be charged to 100% no problem; not the same for a lithium NCA/NMC type battery where it's not recommend charging to 100% all the time to extend the battery's life and to save on charging time...just charge to 100% occasionally or when going on a long trip and want maximum range by utilizing 100%.

And BYD also recommends you charge to 100% from a low SOC of less than 10% every 3 to 6 months....this is recommended to help balance the  charge of all the individual cells in the battery pack and improve the accuracy of the range guess-o-meter. 

image.png.6df5616dda02892a218637a92be48b01.png

Regarding charging by KWH and/or time, below Sep 2023 article gives a pretty good overview of how different charging companies in Thailand charge by KWH and/or time.  Generally it's by KWH used, but EA Anywhere and On-ion is time based for their AC chargers, but EA Anywhere does use KWH for it's DC Fast Chargers.  Best to look at the charges shown in each companies charging app.

https://propertyscout.co.th/en/lifestyle/ev-charging-station-and-fees/#:~:text=App%3A EleXA-,EA Anywhere,150 baht for 4 hours.

And finally, below is the charge curve for a BYD Atto 3 with 60KWH extended range battery on a DC Fast Charger capable of at least 100KWH....expect the Dolphin 60KWH battery is the same or durn near the same.  As you'll see it can maintain a rate of charge of around 60KWH all the way up to around 85% SOC...then it will drop off to around 35KWH up to around 98% and then drop around 15-20KW to 100%.   This morning when I did my test at the PTT EV Pluz charging station my Atto had starting 58% SOC and began charging at 66KWH....as mentioned in my earlier post I only charged for a few minutes as a test....I then came home to plug it into my 7KW wall charger.   Now if my SOC had been around 45% or less then the DC Fast charge rate would have probably been in the 80-88KW range which is the max the Atto can charge at (ditto for a Dolphin extended range...around 60-66KWH for a standard Dolphin/Atto).    If you go with a Dolphin I don't think you can go wrong or be dissatisfied by going with the extended range  battery of 60KWH vs the standard range batter of 45KWH.   

AND DEFINITELY get a home 7KWH wall charger if your residence can support as it makes keeping your EV charged easy (and about half the price of using a commercial charger)...just like keeping your smartphone charged by plugging it into a 5V charger at home....easy.

https://ev-database.org/car/1782/BYD-ATTO-3

image.png.175298805c83e73f2b85b2a6548d2d84.png

Haven't found anything in the MG manual about running it low, then charging it up to 100%.

Just to charge up to 100%, occasionally, with 'slow charger' / <7kw, which is strange, as they supply you with a 7.4kW wall charger.  I use the emergency charger (2.3kW) 99% of the time anyway, so guess OK there.

image.png.c9a2f49228dd40109c7e0e13e789706a.png

When talking about equalization charging, it does reference the wall charger times.  Supposedly, will tell my if needing to do, which I doubt I'll ever see that msg, as I top up to 100% quite often.  Almost always, which is more than a few times  month, especially during rainy season, as charge when I can, not when needed.  Gets to 85ish %, and I'm plugging in 😂  Unless O&A locally, then takes couple days sometimes to top back up.

image.png.c4f328beed44f1eb19cbef606f089219.png

My E-MB, I take down to 2 bars (20-30%) before plugging in, since not LFP.  Although I do top up/100%, which I probably shouldn't.  Oh well.  2 yrs, and not loss in range noticed, though hard to tell.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, JBChiangRai said:

Perhaps the BYD does not display a message about recalibrating, nobody will know for 6 months or so.  One of the main reasons for charging to 100% on the MG is for the BMS to equalise the storage in each cell, this is called passive balancing.  I suspect that BYD cars perform active balancing, a little bit more expensive for the manufacturer to make but it doesn't waste energy which passive balancing does.  I looked into this in detail before building my LFP battery packs for solar and decided to add active balancing so I never have to charge up past 80% SoC.

Regarding the Dolphin, I think changing to the extended range is definitely the way to go, it brings the 0-100 down to 7 seconds from a pedestrian 12 seconds.

In nearly 3 years I have only fast charged once for 12 minutes or so, mostly to test it out, I figured better to test it when you don't need it then stress about it when you do need it.

I don't know if BYD vehicle batteries do active or passive charging (still googling/researching such out of curiosity  ...would like to find something from BYD on the subject), but page 82 of my Atto manual says "balancing is enabled before charging is completed to improve service life."     See 1st snapshot below.

And on page 93 the manual it recommends regularly charging the vehicle to 100% at least once a week and also once every three to six months to do a full charge starting below 10% SOC.  I don't know if this also plays a part in balancing or just recalibrates the range guess-o-meter....laptop computers also recommend a periodic full recharge to recalibrate the percent of charge remaining reading.   See 2nd snapshot below.

Snapshot from page 82

image.png.12f93fae5bfdf94a5d55433f836d94d1.png

Snapshot from page 93

image.png.7afa25775faf44fa5531b7c77111376e.png

Edited by Pib

4 minutes ago, Pib said:

Snapshot from page 82

image.png.12f93fae5bfdf94a5d55433f836d94d1.png

That suggests passive balancing :-(

The way to tell is how much current it draws at the end of charging, if it drops massively to hundreds of watts then it's passive balancing the battery.

Edited by JBChiangRai
context
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

That suggests passive balancing :-(

The way to tell is how much current it draws at the end of charging, if it drops massively to hundreds of watts then it's passive balancing the battery.

I'll check again over the next week or so to confirm it draws a high number of amps right up to the very end but I think it does...but I'll check again. 

The reason I say it does draws full power of my 7KWH wall charger up to the very end (i..e, 100% charge, charging cut off) is because when the wall charger is pumping out approx 225V/30A/6.85KWH the Atto displays approx a 6.2 to 6.3KWH right up to the very end of charging (i.e., 100% SOC/charge cut off)....I've seen this numerous time which checking the power draw of the Atto when it was reporting at least 99%.  OK, OK, what about between 99% to 100%.  Well, one time I just set in the car to watch it go from 99% to 100%/charge cut off and it was displaying 6.3KWH and just for approx 5 seconds before going to 100%/charge cut off the Atto jumped up to a 6.4KWH charge rate---then the charge was complete/cut off and the display no longer displays any charging rate and when looking at the wall charger it's charging light has went off as charging has stopped/completed.  

I also installed a AC watt/volt/amp meter on the input to my wall charger which allows to see how much power the wall charger it using/pumping into the Atto.  This has allowed me to determine charging efficiency of the Atto battery is 91%....this done by comparing what the wattmeter says it sending to the Atto and then what the Atto displays as the charging rate.  The missing 9% is charging losses from the Onboard Rectifier/Charger and other electronics, fans, etc., the car uses during charging.  I've checked this charging efficiency around a half dozen times and it varies from 90% to 92% which average out to 91%.

Below is a snapshot of my wattmeter while charging...when 6.85KWH is showing on the meter the Atto is displaying 6.2-6.3KWH.    When the Atto displays 6.2KWH with the wattmeter showing 6.85KWH that calculates out to a 90.5% charging efficiency....when the Atto displays 6.3KWH with the wattmeter displaying 6.85KWH that calculates out to 92% charging efficiency.  Since the Atto only displays KWH to one decimal point while the wattmeter displays to 2 decimal points that causes some minor variations in how the calculations work out.  And when the vehicle charging is completed/stopped the wattmeter shows less than 2 watts being used by the wall charger to keep it's own electronics/lights working.  Bottom line the charging efficiency is approx 91% which is pretty good.

Wattmeter while Atto is charging....bought off Lazada for a couple hundred baht.

image.png.7eb4e6aea80b15c4315a590354918a0e.png  

• Agree 2