Electric Vehicles in Thailand

On 7/24/2023 at 9:51 AM, Bandersnatch said:

Great video  - thanks for sharing.

I really like the BYD seal, but it’s not as practical as an SUV and when I sat in it I found it a bit of a squeeze 

20230330_072803500_iOS.thumb.jpeg.063135ddedce6f54e57093daad0f2203.jpeg

The only things that concerned me about the BYD Seal U was sunroof - not sure if there is a sun screen - the Irish guy complained about the heat. Also the acceleration  - 9.6 seconds is ICE car performance, but maybe like the Seal it will come in dual motor variant.

Stats from the video:

BYD Seal U 
4,785mm L; 1,890mm W; 1,668mm H; 2,765mm WB
Honda CRV for comparison
4,691mm L; 1,855mm W; 1,679mm H; 2,660mm WB

160kW motor 0-100km/hour comfort 9.3sec design 9.6sec 
19 inch wheels range WLTP comfort 420km design 500km
Battery comfort 71.8kWh design 87kWh

AC 11kW DC comfort 115kW design 140kW
Heat pump and V2L

I drove the top spec Seal a few weeks ago and liked it a lot.  A bit less spacious than I'd expected, but comfortable and good to drive, at least on the Thapae Gate - Airport Plaza - Chiangmai Land and back to Thapae test drive circuit.  I was told the version I drove had a sub 4 second 0-100 but resisted the temptation to give it a go.  By the way, if you're considering BYD, be aware that their new car promotional prices don't include a wall charger, window film and some of the other enticements that other brands offer.  

14 minutes ago, Greenside said:

I drove the top spec Seal a few weeks ago and liked it a lot.  A bit less spacious than I'd expected, but comfortable and good to drive, at least on the Thapae Gate - Airport Plaza - Chiangmai Land and back to Thapae test drive circuit.  I was told the version I drove had a sub 4 second 0-100 but resisted the temptation to give it a go.  By the way, if you're considering BYD, be aware that their new car promotional prices don't include a wall charger, window film and some of the other enticements that other brands offer.  

This is the deal I got:

20230927_114515000_iOS.thumb.jpeg.d044159d3bc871e5fdf43e3a9ad4cf3b.jpeg

Do you have a link to the new deal? I haven’t seen updates, but they were swamped with orders. I waited over a month and only got a car by swapping from Premium to Performance. That’s my car in the video above. My YouTube channel is EcoHouseThailand 

Edited by Bandersnatch

33 minutes ago, Greenside said:

While it is true the Dolphin wasn’t offered with free wall charger the Seal is offered with an ABB charger and free installation.

47 minutes ago, Greenside said:

What's your source regarding your statement of:"....don't include a wall charger, window film, and some other enticements that other brands offer."

The ReverAutomotive website (the distributor of BYD models in Thailand) still shows a free wall charge and other enticements.  The same deal they gave me for my Atto 3 buy a few weeks ago.  Now the Dolphin may not come with a free wall charger.   When it comes to window film there was no free film for my Atto....that was a option you paid for....they offered many choices of window film.

https://www.reverautomotive.com/en/model/seal/overview

image.png.c04196307f4bce5f0fb8534fea26fd13.png

Edited by Pib
  • Thanks 1

My comment about the items included with BYD cars was based on purchase of a standard range Dolphin last month at a couple of baht under 700k - can't run into millions for a second car!  Anyway, sorry for the confusion, I should have qualified my statement!

Bandersnatch, That's the model I drove.  It's got a brilliant head-up display - can it show more than just the speed?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Greenside said:

My comment about the items included with BYD cars was based on purchase of a standard range Dolphin last month at a couple of baht under 700k - can't run into millions for a second car!  Anyway, sorry for the confusion, I should have qualified my statement!

Bandersnatch, That's the model I drove.  It's got a brilliant head-up display - can it show more than just the speed?

Thanks for the clarification. 

In your standard range Dolphin buy did you get the free home/wall charger like listed below for the Dolphin? 

I've heard that getting the wall charger when buying a Dolphin might also depend on whether a person is paying cash or financing.    A neighbor of mine who bought an Atto just a week before I bought my Atto told me such.  This was almost 3 weeks ago.

https://www.reverautomotive.com/en/model/dolphin/overview

image.png.0d91c9b817ae494f8d567cfd2e1fc9cf.png

7 minutes ago, Pib said:

Thanks for the clarification. 

In your standard range Dolphin buy did you get the free home/wall charger like listed below for the Dolphin? 

I've heard that getting the wall charger when buying a Dolphin might also depend on whether a person is paying cash or financing.    A neighbor of mine who bought an Atto just a week before I bought my Atto told me such.  This was almost 3 weeks ago.

https://www.reverautomotive.com/en/model/dolphin/overview

image.png.0d91c9b817ae494f8d567cfd2e1fc9cf.png

I paid cash - The only mention of the charger was that it was available at a "special price" of about 15k if I recall.  We already have a charger so I wasn't fussed.  I suspect that the extras are likely standard with the Dolphin extended range model.  The 3M window film was priced at 5k.

As Bandersnatch mentioned above, North Star at Thapae Gate is very busy and seems to be selling every car it can lay hands on at the moment (I think the pink SR Dolphin may be an exception!) I see the demonstrators around town a lot.

Edited by Greenside
  • Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Greenside said:

It's got a brilliant head-up display - can it show more than just the speed?

It’s got an Intelligent Cruise Control indicator and an Adaptive Cruise Control indicator. You can switch between having these visible and not.

You can also change the colour of the display figures from pure white to blue - handy when there’s snow on the road in Thailand.

You can also adjust the height of the display to suit your seating position, the brightness, and the “whirling”. I won’t attempt to describe what that is as it’s no big deal; it’s obvious what it is when you adjust it.

Edited by macahoom

14 minutes ago, Greenside said:

I was super impressed with the clarity of the one on the demo Seal.  Sadly MG doesn't have one as an option on the MG4 X and my very limited experience with third party units in the UK was disappointing.

Yeh, it's really great on the Seal! 

I think even VocalNeal would be impressed.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Pib said:

BEV "registered" sales stats for Oct 2023 and calendar year.  The BYD Dolphin most sold for Oct....no close 2nd although the Atto 3 is still selling very well and was the 2nd most bought BEV in Oct.  

Surprised no BYD Seal sales listed, but maybe since it was only released for sale in late Sep none of them have completed the DLT registration process yet.

https://autolifethailand.tv/ev-bev-register-thailand-oct-2023/

Total vehicle registrations in the 100% electric vehicle group (BEV : Battery Electric Vehicle) in October 2023

Totaled 7,727 vehicles (representing 16.10% of total vehicle registrations in Thailand, RY.1, totaling 47,998 vehicles). Top 14 rankings with the highest number of registrations in October 2023

Registration ยอดจดทะเบียน รถไฟฟ้า100% ในไทย : เดือน ตุลาคม 2023

ยอดจดทะเบียนรถยนต์สะสม กลุ่ม รถไฟฟ้า100% (BEV : Battery Electric Vehicle) เดือน ตุลาคม 2566 รวม 7,727 คัน (คิดเป็น 16.10% ของยอดจดทะเบียนรถยนต์ในไทย รย.1 รวม 47,998 คัน)

Top 14 อันดับ ยอดจดทะเบียนสูงสุด เดือน ตุลาคม 2023

• อันดับ 1  BYD Dolphin  2,413 คัน
  • อันดับ 2  BYD Atto 3  1,427 คัน
  • อันดับ 3  NETA V  951 คัน
  • อันดับ 4  ORA Good Cat  641 คัน
  • อันดับ 5  MG EP  608 คัน
  • อันดับ 6  MG 4 Electric  553 คัน
  • อันดับ 7  Tesla Model Y  281 คัน
  • อันดับ 8  MG Maxus 9  104 คัน
  • อันดับ 9  MG ZS EV  96 คัน
  • อันดับ 10  BMW iX3  93 คัน
  • อันดับ 11  Wuling Air EV  90 คัน
  • อันดับ 12  MG ES  89 คัน
  • อันดับ 13  Volvo XC40 EV  100 คัน
  • อันดับ 14  Volvo C40  71 คัน

ยอดจดทะเบียนสะสม เดือน มกราคม – ตุลาคม 2023 : รวม 58,074 คัน

image.png.1f62c51f5600699ca842b1a3903fad7c.png

Below is a better translation of above....earlier I simply couldn't get Google Translate to work well on the article.

https://autolifethailand.tv/ev-bev-register-thailand-oct-2023/#respond

Registration Total electric train registrations 100% in Thailand: October 2023

Accumulated vehicle registrations in the 100% electric vehicle group (BEV : Battery Electric Vehicle) Month of October 2023 Total 7,727 vehicles (Accounting for 16.10% of the total car registrations in Thailand, RY.1, totaling 47,998 cars)

Top 14 rankings with the highest number of registrations in October 2023

• Rank 1  BYD Dolphin  2,413 units
  • Rank 2  BYD Atto 3  1,427 cars
  • Rank 3  NETA V  951 units
  • No. 4  ORA Good Cat  641 units
  • No. 5  MG EP  608 cars
  • Rank 6  MG 4 Electric  553 units
  • Rank 7  Tesla Model Y  281 cars
  • Rank 8  MG Maxus 9 104 cars
  • Rank 9  MG ZS EV  96 cars
  • Rank 10  BMW iX3  93 cars
  • Rank 11  Wuling Air EV  90 units
  • Rank 12  MG ES  89 cars
  • Rank 13  Volvo XC40 EV  80 cars
  • Rank 14  Volvo C40  48 cars

Cumulative registrations for January - October 2023: Total 58,074 vehicles.

ev_oct_2023_table.jpg

• Year 2020 : Month January - December 2020
    • Total 1,056 cars
  • Year 2021 : Month January - December 2021
    • Total 1,935 cars
  • Year 2022 : Month January - December 2022
    • Total 9,729 cars
  • Year 2023 : January - October 2023 (10 months)
    • Total 58,074 cars
    • Accounting for 10.58% of the total registrations of 548,940 R.Y.1 cars nationwide.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Pib said:

Below is a better translation of above....earlier I simply couldn't get Google Translate to work well on the article.

https://autolifethailand.tv/ev-bev-register-thailand-oct-2023/#respond

Registration Total electric train registrations 100% in Thailand: October 2023

Accumulated vehicle registrations in the 100% electric vehicle group (BEV : Battery Electric Vehicle) Month of October 2023 Total 7,727 vehicles ( Accounting for 16.10% of the total car registrations in Thailand, RY.1, totaling 47,998 cars)   

Top 14 rankings with the highest number of registrations in October 2023

• Rank 1   BYD Dolphin 2,413 units
  • Rank 2   BYD Atto 3 1,427 cars
  • Rank 3   NETA V 951 units
  • No. 4   ORA Good Cat 641 units
  • No. 5   MG EP 608 cars
  • Rank 6   MG 4 Electric 553 units
  • Rank 7   Tesla Model Y 281 cars
  • Rank 8   MG Maxus 9 104 cars
  • Rank 9  MG ZS EV 96 cars 
  • Rank 10   BMW iX3 93 cars
  • Rank 11   Wuling Air EV 90 units
  • Rank 12  MG ES 89 cars 
  • Rank 13   Volvo XC40 EV 80 cars
  • Rank 14   Volvo C40 48 cars

Cumulative registrations for January - October 2023: Total 58,074 vehicles.

ev_oct_2023_table.jpg

• Year 2020 : Month January - December 2020 
    • Total 1,056 cars
  • Year 2021 : Month January - December 2021 
    • Total 1,935 cars
  • Year 2022 : Month January - December 2022 
    • Total 9,729 cars
  • Year 2023 : January - October 2023 (10 months) 
    • Total 58,074 cars
    • Accounting for 10.58% of the total registrations of 548,940 RY1 cars nationwide.

For those curious about the pricing, which should be fairly correct. Notice MGs are no longer discounted/price drop. Was that just a 1 month promo ? Took MG prices of MG site.  USD & THB

Could contain:

Edited by KhunLA

In translation of vehicle sales (like the news article I posted a little earlier) I often run across abbreviations of RY.1, ,etc., and wondered if it was just Google Translate not being able to figure it out or was it indeed a correct translation and meant something specific.   Sure enough it was a correct translation...and RY.1 means Sedan (not more than 7 passengers).    See below for more.

https://tdri.or.th/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/M35.pdf

image.png.a4b7185d346e979d06a6918f17702ba0.png

21 hours ago, Greenside said:

18 hours ago, macahoom said:

It’s got an Intelligent Cruise Control indicator and an Adaptive Cruise Control indicator. You can switch between having these visible and not.

You can also change the colour of the display figures from pure white to blue - handy when there’s snow on the road in Thailand.

You can also adjust the height of the display to suit your seating position, the brightness, and the “whirling”. I won’t attempt to describe what that is as it’s no big deal; it’s obvious what it is when you adjust it.

Are you guys sure that the Dolphin has an actual HUD and not just the instrument cluster? Mine doesn’t have the HUD unless there has been some sort of upgrade to the vehicle?

8 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

Are you guys sure that the Dolphin has an actual HUD and not just the instrument cluster? Mine doesn’t have the HUD unless there has been some sort of upgrade to the vehicle?

My reply that you've quoted above refers to Greenside's question about the HUD in the Seal, not the Dolphin.

When Greenside says, "Bandersnatch, That's the model I drove" he's talking about the Seal Performance.

Edited by macahoom
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Pib said:

Accounting for 16.10% of the total car registrations in Thailand,

16.1% of all car sales last month being full EV  is very significant in my opinion. Many people are still quoting figures from 30th Sept published in an English language publication based in the capital.

IMG_1439.jpeg.64582a70c6037f4ff91d719ddb663f01.jpeg

Edited by Bandersnatch

11 minutes ago, macahoom said:

My reply that you've quoted above refers to Greenside's question about the HUD in the Seal, not the Dolphin.

When Greenside says, "Bandersnatch, That's the model I drove" he's talking about the Seal Performance.

Aha, I see. For a moment there, I thought I got duped by BYD into buying an outdated model lol.

• Thumbs Up 1