Electric Vehicles in Thailand

I don't intend to buy a new car EV or otherwise though I am interested in the progress of EV technology. While I viewing varies topics on line I came across a Canadian youtube EV car (practical) car problem. It concerned damage to the underside protective housing of the battery. The EV was a year old which, according to the content of the video, was now outside the warranty period, the EV purchase of 50,000 Canadian Dollars. Photos showed what was considered slight damage to the battery housing but the dealership garage quoted 60,000 Canadian Dollars for a battery replacement (documents are shown during the video. The insurance company apparently decide to write off the car. ( haven't posted the URL of the video in case in broke any forum rules but I would supply if there was a request.

My thought was about variable conditions road surfaces in Thailand particularly off main road lanes (Soi) Certainly in the area where I live that although holes are regularly filled with black pitch, they are bumpy rides to say the least. I just wonder how EV's will fair in Thailand.

9 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Made in China safety rating. Are the EVs any safer?

https://www.carexpert.com.au/car-news/mg-5-receives-zero-star-ancap-safety-rating

Is it possible you have reading comprehension problems? or did you even read the report?

The last two paragraph pretty much sum it up: MG tried to market a stripped version for cheap of the MG 5 down under. It's not what I find a good policy, but it is far from possible to extrapolate from this policy what safety rating Chinese cars in general are sold with - but then again. that was not really what you are interested in?

Its good the test was made and published, MG has responded positively to correct the shortcomings.

18 minutes ago, parallelman said:

I don't intend to buy a new car EV or otherwise though I am interested in the progress of EV technology. While I viewing varies topics on line I came across a Canadian youtube EV car (practical) car problem. It concerned damage to the underside protective housing of the battery. The EV was a year old which, according to the content of the video, was now outside the warranty period, the EV purchase of 50,000 Canadian Dollars. Photos showed what was considered slight damage to the battery housing but the dealership garage quoted 60,000 Canadian Dollars for a battery replacement (documents are shown during the video. The insurance company apparently decide to write off the car. ( haven't posted the URL of the video in case in broke any forum rules but I would supply if there was a request.

My thought was about variable conditions road surfaces in Thailand particularly off main road lanes (Soi) Certainly in the area where I live that although holes are regularly filled with black pitch, they are bumpy rides to say the least. I just wonder how EV's will fair in Thailand.

20 minutes ago, parallelman said:

Am I missing something here, or what is the inference to car warranty regarding an accident? Sounds like the usual click-bait YT video if this was presented in this way..........

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, mistral53 said:

Am I missing something here, or what is the inference to car warranty regarding an accident? Sounds like the usual click-bait YT video if this was presented in this way..........

No, not click bait. The video does show the damage to the battery housing and I thought that with conditions on Thai roads that damage might be more severe. If battery replacement is going to more than the EV is worth, at least that's what the video mentions, does this not put a short life span on EV"s?

54 minutes ago, parallelman said:

No, not click bait. The video does show the damage to the battery housing and I thought that with conditions on Thai roads that damage might be more severe. If battery replacement is going to more than the EV is worth, at least that's what the video mentions, does this not put a short life span on EV"s?

Is this like where you live?

1 hour ago, parallelman said:

If you live in a village where the roads are unmade and the tracks are full full of hotels, then you’re probably better off with a pickup truck, I don’t think it has anything to do with whether the car is an EV or not, it’s more to do with what is more suitable for the road, or lack thereof that it’s going to be driven on.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, parallelman said:

I've driven all over TH, and personally, I think 99.9% of the roads are excellent.   Pay attention when driving usually keeps you & vehicle damage free.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

I've driven all over TH, and personally, I think 99.9% of the roads are excellent.   Pay attention when driving usually keeps you & vehicle damage free.

image.png.60b0b3e706fdba0504812e4673d4ba46.png

What? You only drive on the main roads then, missing all the beauty that awaits you in local villages and back roads.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Bandersnatch said:

The Title of this Discussion is "Electric Vehicles in Thailand" Please keep your posts to EVs in Thailand. Nobody here is interested in what insurance companies in Canada have to say about EV batteries in Canada, it's not relevant to this discussion.

If you have information about insurance claims in Thailand relating to EVs please post them here alternatively you could start your own discussion "EVs in Canada" 

I was keeping the discussion relevant. If you had read the post correctly you would have noted that the video I saw made me think of the recent motor show in Thailand raised increased interest in EV's and  was asking how a similar situation in Thailand would be dealt with. Perhaps you know and if so simply write and answer. Do you think Thai insurance companies write the vehicle off, bypass the dealership and go direct to the vehicle manufacturer or some other process?

40 minutes ago, parallelman said:

I was keeping the discussion relevant. If you had read the post correctly you would have noted that the video I saw made me think of the recent motor show in Thailand raised increased interest in EV's and  was asking how a similar situation in Thailand would be dealt with. Perhaps you know and if so simply write and answer. Do you think Thai insurance companies write the vehicle off, bypass the dealership and go direct to the vehicle manufacturer or some other process?

All I've seem from your posts so far is that you want to take this discussion off-topic so I will not waste any more of my time replying to you.

4 hours ago, parallelman said:

I don't intend to buy a new car EV

13 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

All I've seem from your posts so far is that you want to take this discussion off-topic so I will not waste any more of my time replying to you.

Off topic? Just because I don't intend to buy a EV doesn't I'm not (or must not be) interested This is the EV thread isn't it? More like you are avoiding the question. I'll rephrase the question and perhaps someone else knows/has experience in Thailand with EV repairs. In Thailand, do EV repair stations regard the battery and housing as one unit. That is, if the housing becomes damaged replacement includes battery also? Samsung in their technical sheet talk of the (battery) cells, module and pack but don't specifically mention 'housing' in the final assembly. 

On 12/14/2023 at 10:16 AM, matchar said:

You early adopters are in the golden age of EV charging.

It's only a matter of time until there are long queues for fast highway chargers like the UK is experiencing now (with the public charging cost higher than petrol).

few years back when all the charger were free were really great for the early adopters though

but the selection of vehicles available now is great too

• Like 1

1 hour ago, macahoom said:

I have had three EVs. I bought my first one well over four years ago. I currently have two, both of which have very low ground clearance. I have driven quite a lot in Thailand, including on rural roads. I have never damaged the underside of any of my EVs. I think it would be an unlikely event.

I did, however, badly damage a tyre in a pothole on two occasions.

In nearly 19 years of living in Thailand, I have not damaged the underside of any car. The closest would be when I scraped the front skirt of a Toyota Wish a few times.

Thank you, sounds good to me. I do keep track of research I have no doubt that in the future the batteries, motors, inverters etc will decrease in size yet overall have a larger travel range. Perhaps in the next generation or so EV will outsell the combustion engine. However, I cannot find (online) whether or not in the final assembly and additional 'housing' is built around the battery pack or whether the battery pack itself (as one unit) has included such a protection. That is, that in the former case damage would simply be a replacement external housing and battery pack is unaffected or in the latter case external damage would mean a replacement battery pack. I think it would be the latter as the former would mean extra weight. I am just curious.

6 hours ago, parallelman said:

Thank you, sounds good to me. I do keep track of research I have no doubt that in the future the batteries, motors, inverters etc will decrease in size yet overall have a larger travel range. Perhaps in the next generation or so EV will outsell the combustion engine. However, I cannot find (online) whether or not in the final assembly and additional 'housing' is built around the battery pack or whether the battery pack itself (as one unit) has included such a protection. That is, that in the former case damage would simply be a replacement external housing and battery pack is unaffected or in the latter case external damage would mean a replacement battery pack. I think it would be the latter as the former would mean extra weight. I am just curious.

When looking at EV's you do need to check what material the battery casing is made from

Battery packs built into the chassis is a new recent development 
Majority of battery pack external casings are made of metal  but some are made of plastic material that are susceptible to rat bites or can be damaged by large stones on the road which can lead to water entering the battery pack

There are reports in the Facebook groups of various brands where vehicles are being written off due to cost of repair for battery replacement  exceeding 70% of capital insurance of vehicle

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, vinny41 said:

When looking at EV's you do need to check what material the battery casing is made from

Battery packs built into the chassis is a new recent development 
Majority of battery pack external casings are made of metal  but some are made of plastic material that are susceptible to rat bites or can be damaged by large stones on the road which can lead to water entering the battery pack

There are reports in the Facebook groups of various brands where vehicles are being written off due to cost of repair for battery replacement  exceeding 70% of capital insurance of vehicle

This will sound a bit selfish, but I am already salivating about getting my hands on a 50+ kWh battery pack on the cheap as a home solar back-up battery from a salvaged EV.......... I am actually wondering whether I should buy one of the entry level EV's just for the battery, discarding the car bits - would still be half of what solar installers quote for batteries.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, mistral53 said:

This will sound a bit selfish, but I am already salivating about getting my hands on a 50+ kWh battery pack on the cheap as a home solar back-up battery from a salvaged EV.......... I am actually wondering whether I should buy one of the entry level EV's just for the battery, discarding the car bits - would still be half of what solar installers quote for batteries.

I suspect EV manufacturer's are retaining all spare parts from wrecks

Meanwhile, EV spare parts, particularly batteries, are not repairable, which means if one gets spoilt, the owner must purchase a new one. A new battery costs roughly 50-60% of the price of the car.

Furthermore, as a vehicle, EV has its own service life. While other cars' wrecks can be sold in the secondary market for disassembling their spare parts, EV wrecks have no value at all.

https://www.nationthailand.com/business/corporate/40033774

According to this article EV wrecks have no value

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, vinny41 said:

According to this article EV wrecks have no value

Whoever thinks that is extremely ignorant.  Unless there's an EV battery dumping site here that we don't know about.   Where do people think the write offs are going ?  Surely there's a market for the batteries.

Nothing that valuable, is tossed in the bin.   We just aren't privy to them.  Would think the insurance companies and selling the wrecks/battery packs to manufacturers of, to be utilized somewhere, somehow.

As soon as 3rd party solar/EV brainiacs make it an easy DIY to add to home solar systems, a new market will emerge to the public.  They're being utilized outside of TH, which gives pause to the research done for the article, and extremely misinformed or ignorance of the writer, if not knowing their reuse outside of TH.

• Like 2