Electric Vehicles in Thailand

3 hours ago, Pib said:

NEDC and/or WLTP range ratings is what you'll see on EVs sold in Thailand.  

image.png.7b66d8a5c59352240af417cec16d8f4f.png

You can definitely trust the WLTP range estimate, at least on our MG ZS, as stated at 320 kms, and mixed driving, (30-60-90kph) we average 350 easily.   At highway speeds, 90 kph +/- then we get at least 300 kms, and at the end of 3+ hr driving, average 80+ kph.   So around the 230-250 kms mark, about 3hrs, we're peeking for the next CS.  And a welcome break it is.

That's in 'eco' mode, which is more than powerful enough, with KERS (regen) set at max '3', for all driving.

WLTP range rating of 320 kms for the ZS, that testing is done with an average 47 kph.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:

I didn't even bother test driving the EV, since owning the newest ICE version of the MG ZS.  Reading the specs was enough, 0-100 kph in 8+ seconds vs 12+ seconds.  I thought the ICE was peppy enough as it was, so getting 50% more, at 75% less cost, if using PEA ... no brainer for me.  Having solar, just icing on the cake :coffee1:

Only drive in 'eco' as more than enough power and out paces any ICE at that price point.  Don't even bother with 'normal' or 'sport', and only tested them.   Sport is pretty freakin' awesome.   Can't even image the other performance EVs doing <4 second to 100 kph.   That' insane :cheesy:

So EV cars are all about performance?

Sounds like petrol heads with a short circuit.

• Confused 2

11 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

So EV cars are all about performance?

Sounds like petrol heads with a short circuit.

Actually all about savings.  To energize, maintain and probably longevity, value for baht.   The added performance is just a plus.  Not needed, but really nice to have when wanting.  I can now pass vehicles in less time, when before, w/ICEV, I wouldn't attempt to.  Saves time, and for my driving style, makes passing safer.

• Thanks 2

Hey Pib,

Can  you,please share your driving experiences with your Otto 3 . I am most interested on BYD adas system ( I like your comment that you use standard regen with normal mode )

Have you disable any of their adas system.? Appreciate any experiences , the 899k baht may delivery with  7.9 se. 0-100 kmh sounds attractive even with the standard battery 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Pib said:

There are social media stories with pictures/docs out there in internet land talking Atto battery replacement cost in the Bt700K to $900K ballpark...cost to replace the battery after a wreck. The stories seem to be from about this time last year.

https://blink-drive.com/index.php/2023/03/03/byd-battery-replacment/

https://www.sanook.com/auto/86639/

https://m.pantip.com/topic/42395641?

So, here’s one that is definitely destined for Thailand and will no doubt create a lot of interest.

IMG_2983.png.90d1e3266d88b6552b8447db3741b838.png

IMG_2984.png.104249cae958dbac7d8096fb4fe23212.png

https://autolifethailand.tv/zeekr-x-thailand-coming-motor-show-2024-march/

At a 1st glance could be let down by the NMC batteries and lower range than the more recent entries but is no doubt interesting.

Edited by Andrew Dwyer
  • Thumbs Up 1

42 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

So, here’s one that is definitely destined for Thailand and will no doubt create a lot of interest.

At a 1st glance could be let down by the NMC batteries and lower range than the more recent entries but is no doubt interesting.

the NMC batteries are one reason, why i am no longer interested in the volvo ex30 or hyundai ioniq 6.

but i would be also concerned about the (not existing) dealership's network. if you live near bangkok, i think it would be fine.

additionally, i doubt that all the new ev car companies will survive in the next few years. we will certainly see a significant

market consolidation, with more than just a few bankruptcies!

Edited by motdaeng
text was missing !

On 2/25/2024 at 9:32 PM, Pib said:

The Atto ADAS system works fine, but I have turned off  the Lane Keeping function in the Infotainment system as I didn't like getting the occasional notification that I was too close/went over a lane separation line...or shoulder lane line.   The road lanes in Thailand, especially in cities/towns like Bangkok, are narrow and often poorly painted well which can easily cause a Lane Keeping warning where there is really no danger.  If you watch any Atto Youtubes say made about a year ago before a software update allowed you to turn off all or some Lane Keeping function you would see some people griping about Lane Keeping notifications....but those gripes seem to have disappeared in recent Youtube reviews after the software update which tweaked that Lane Keeping function and also allowed people to turn it off if desired. 

I have been very pleased with my Atto over my 4 months of ownership/driving.   No problems to speak of...only a few "minor and brief" issues talked below: 

- when I first got the Atto when hitting certain bumps at certain speeds I got a small "squeak" in the rear seat area if no one was setting in the seat....I took to car back to the dealership one afternoon to point-out the problem....their mechanics immediately started working on it...no appointment needed....they removed the seat...reinserted the seat...tightened all the seat bolts....took a total of about an hour...no charge...free....and the squeak was gone.

- the morning after the car underwent its 1st scheduled warranty checkup which was the 3 month/5,000Km checkout in late Dec 2023 (which was really only a bunch of visual checks with the car on the ground and on a lift with some OBD2 data checks) when the wife and I began a trip the next morning about 40Km into the trip I noticed a low volume squeal in the front brakes when pressing them....not very loud...just a low squeal like you would hear when brake pads are worn out after many tens of thousand of kilometers.  I decided to abort the trip....did a U-turn to go back to Bangkok but right after that U-turn the squeal was gone.  So, we did another U-turn and completed our planned approx 200Km trip.  That was two months and over 3,000Km ago.  A visual inspection didn't show any problems. Maybe some road dirt got lodged between the pads and rotor and somehow that U-turn cleared the dirt...squeal gone...hasn't returned.

- and final minor issue was right after the OTA update from Ver 1.61 to Ver 7 several months ago the interior door lights (i.e., the pretty multicolor lights you can turn on of desired) had a glitch where the light on the right rear back seat door was on while the other 3 doors lights was off as they were suppose to be....and that door light shouldn't had been on as the interior doors lights were turned off in the infotainment settings and when turned off it turns "all" doors light off...not any door of your choosing. To clear this glitch I turned the doors light setting on and then immediately off...that rear door light then went off.  Problem hasn't come back.   I figure it was just a OTA software update glitch that cleared itself by me turning the interior door lights setting on and then off again...probably cleared some configuration file. 

Yeap...knock on wood (my head) but above three minor issues are the only driving issues I have experienced after 4 months/over 8,400 Km of driving my Atto.

PiB, thanks for the reply. I like BYD Otto 3 option to turn off Ada’s if I decide not to use it (turn off once) unlike the mg 4 that requires a turn off upon a start. Appreciate your ownership  responses . 

Will check put the Otto 3 standard 899k in may . not sure if the 950k model is worth it( larger screen and wider tires ) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

China 🇨🇳 sure is taking auto export to the next level.

Roll-on/roll-off ships are old school.

87d1e8b15e538c6ffec0f6303c908656.webp.jpg

8c8f83e2bcb94119a61ba3762e193bb2.jpeg

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, motdaeng said:

the NMC batteries are one reason, why i am no longer interested in the volvo ex30 or hyundai ioniq 6.

but i would be also concerned about the (not existing) dealership's network. if you live near bangkok, i think it would be fine.

additionally, i doubt that all the new ev car companies will survive in the next few years. we will certainly see a significant

market consolidation, with more than just a few bankruptcies!

Wonder if Volvo will take them in ( as part of the Geely group ) ?

Deepal at least promised a handful of dealerships with the entry of their cars and seems to be paying off.

But yes, going to be difficult to sustain all these new EV brands in the short time.

But what about the ICE vehicles ?, with 20 to 25% of new car sales going to EV surely there’s going to be some casualties in the ICE market ?

I would guess Nissan, Mazda, Mitsubishi and Suzuki are all rethinking their strategy.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Wonder if Volvo will take them in ( as part of the Geely group ) ?

Deepal at least promised a handful of dealerships with the entry of their cars and seems to be paying off.

But yes, going to be difficult to sustain all these new EV brands in the short time.

But what about the ICE vehicles ?, with 20 to 25% of new car sales going to EV surely there’s going to be some casualties in the ICE market ?

I would guess Nissan, Mazda, Mitsubishi and Suzuki are all rethinking their strategy.

The total number of vehicles sales in Thailand for 2023 was 775,780 of which 76,314 were EV sales  which represents  9.8% of the total vehicle sales don't know where you getting the 20 to 25% figure from unless there is a EV motoring equivalent of TAT

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2