Electric Vehicles in Thailand

Yea...for the "last several months" EV sales accounted for 20 to 25% of total vehicle sales in Thailand.  End of 2023 sales spike no doubt...will be interesting to see how EV sales hold up in 2024 especially as a percentage of total vehicles sales.  I fully expect the EV sales to be very healthy with the continuing price cutting and more people slowly coming over to the EV side...losing their fear(s) of EVs.

https://autolifethailand.tv/ev-bev-register-thailand-sep-2023/

Total vehicle registrations for the 100% electric vehicle group (BEV: Battery Electric Vehicle) in December 2023 totaled 9,258 vehicles (representing 25.34% of total vehicle registrations in Thailand, RY.1, totaling 36,531 vehicles).

https://autolifethailand.tv/register-ev-bev-thailand-Jan-2024/

Breaking the highest record! Total registrations for 100% electric trains in Thailand in January 2024 totaled 13,653 vehicles, a proportion of 20.5% of the total of 65,067 new cars, RY.1, nationwide.

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Pib said:

Yea...for the "last several months" EV sales accounted for 20 to 25% of total vehicle sales in Thailand.  End of 2023 sales spike no doubt...will be interesting to see how EV sales hold up in 2024 especially as a percentage of total vehicles sales.  I fully expect the EV sales to be very healthy with the continuing price cutting and more people slowly coming over to the EV side...losing their fear(s) of EVs.

Total vehicle registrations for the 100% electric vehicle group (BEV: Battery Electric Vehicle) in December 2023 totaled 9,258 vehicles (representing 25.34% of total vehicle registrations in Thailand, RY.1, totaling 36,531 vehicles).

Breaking the highest record! Total registrations for 100% electric trains in Thailand in January 2024 totaled 13,653 vehicles, a proportion of 20.5% of the total of 65,067 new cars, RY.1, nationwide.

This is a very interesting development. I hope as the demand becomes greater and reaches critical mass, that more charging stations are build and become available.  

3 minutes ago, Pib said:

Thanks Pib, I was in the process of posting a very similar post.

It will be very interesting to see the figures at next month Bangkok motor show, for those interested here’s the figures from last December’s Show.

IMG_2987.thumb.jpeg.a652a00cd20e648331d09cb7691ceddc.jpeg

https://www.nationthailand.com/gallery/infographic/40033775

Here in the greater Bangkok area EVs are becoming as thick as fleas on a soi dog....you see them all over the roads.   In this or similar topic EV threads I mentioned a couple of times on my Bangkok moobaan soi of 10 houses how 3 of the 10 home have EVs parked in their carports....me with my BYD Atto, another home with an Atto, and a home with a Telsa Model Y....all bought during the last half of 2023.

And on another soi in my moobaan only about 50 meters from my soi two homes have got EVs over the last month....a BYD Atto and a GWM Good cat.

Walk over to the next soi and a guy got a Porche Taycon about two months ago.  

And as I drive in and out of my large gated moobaan of hundreds of homes I'm always passing my other EVs within the moobaan.  My moobaan consists of all standalone homes mostly owned by mid to high income Thais. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vinny41 said:

The total number of vehicles sales in Thailand for 2023 was 775,780 of which 76,314 were EV sales  which represents  9.8% of the total vehicle sales don't know where you getting the 20 to 25% figure from unless there is a EV motoring equivalent of TAT

EV sales are expanding at such a fast rate in Thailand that it's easier to talk about monthly changes rather than annual increases.

Sales of EVs in Thailand in 2023 increased by 684%

20240108_142006000_iOS.jpg.2a6d77c2d876263ae1e7dfb7cd91dab7.jpg

In December 2023 EVs in Thailand represented 25% of total vehicle registrations

20240108_142308000_iOS.thumb.png.e65bc36ada0bb956b70216f443f88b8f.png

47 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Thanks Pib, I was in the process of posting a very similar post.

It will be very interesting to see the figures at next month Bangkok motor show, for those interested here’s the figures from last December’s Show.

IMG_2987.thumb.jpeg.a652a00cd20e648331d09cb7691ceddc.jpeg

These are just booking numbers,  not all of these will turn into final sales 

The top 10 car brands with the most bookings were: 1. Toyota 7,245, 2. Honda (6,148), 3. BYD (5,455), 4. AION (4,568), 5. MG (3,568), 6. Changan (3,549), 7. Great Wall (3,524), 8. Isuzu (2,460), 9. Nissan (2,459), 10. Mazda (1,961).

So how many Toyota, Honda,Isuzu and Nissan EV were sold all these brands are here in the Top 10 brands for most bookings

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

The top 10 car brands with the most bookings were: 1. Toyota 7,245, 2. Honda (6,148), 3. BYD (5,455), 4. AION (4,568), 5. MG (3,568), 6. Changan (3,549), 7. Great Wall (3,524), 8. Isuzu (2,460), 9. Nissan (2,459), 10. Mazda (1,961).

So how many Toyota, Honda,Isuzu and Nissan EV were sold all these brands are here in the Top 10 brands for most bookings

I never said they were sales , it clearly says they were bookings.

So what are you trying to say ? all the EV bookings never transpired into sales and the ICE bookings did ?

Seems like a feeble attempt to dispute the fact that ev’s received a substantial number of bookings at the Bangkok Motor Show.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

I think he's talking about the last few months as prices have been slashed. 

As a rule manufacturers don't cut their prices if the product is selling so well that they are unable to build fast enough

prices cuts are often for 3 reasons

lack of consumer interest

Oversupply 

price reductions from competitors

I have yet to see Apple Inc adopt this new pricing strategy of look our products are selling so well we should reduce the price

The price of a high-end iPhone has increased 66% since 2009. Tim Cook says people are willing to pay more for 'the best.'

https://www.businessinsider.com/apple-ceo-tim-cook-people-pay-more-for-best-iphone-2023-2

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vinny41 said:

The total number of vehicles sales in Thailand for 2023 was 775,780 of which 76,314 were EV sales  which represents  9.8% of the total vehicle sales don't know where you getting the 20 to 25% figure from unless there is a EV motoring equivalent of TAT

2 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

I think he's talking about the last few months as prices have been slashed. 

We ended last year with 25% of new cars registered in December being EV's, we opened this year with 21% of new car registrations being EV's, I am expecting we finish the year with 30% of new car registrations being EV's and a total of about 25% averaged across the year.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

43 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

No...the sales numbers I and most others gave earlier are government "registrations" as stated at the beginning of the articles.  Repeat, registrations completed by the Dept of Land Transport (DLT)...vehicle sale & ownership transfer completed....vehicle blue book issued.

Now if an article said "bookings" like from an auto show, well, that just means people have only made reservations/deposits for a new vehicle....how many result in final sale "and registration" is another story...but I expect the great majority of people who book a new vehicle continue on to complete ownership (I..e., govt registration). 

Take another look at above articles/stats....you'll see most are talking "registrations."

Edited by Pib
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Pib said:

No...the sales numbers I and most others gave earlier are government "registrations" as stated at the beginning of the articles.  Repeat, registrations completed by the Dept of Land Transport (DLT)...vehicle sale & ownership transfer completed....vehicle blue book issued.

Now if an article said "bookings" like from an auto show, well, that just means people have only made reservations/deposits for a new vehicle....how many result in final sale "and registration" is another story...but I expect the great majority of people who book a new vehicle continue on to complete ownership (I..e., govt registration). 

Take another look at above articles/stats....you'll see most are talking "registrations."

Is the registration not "complete" until you get your tags and turn in your red plates? 

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Is the registration not "complete" until you get your tags and turn in your red plates? 

Correct and the Government doesn't release  the subsidy ( Last year EV 3.0 was B150,000) to the brand/importer

4 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

When the blue book is issued it has the license plate number right on the front....done deal.   Whether the individual wants to go to the dealership and turn in his red tags in order to get his blue book and white plates is up to him (and how hard the dealership pushes him to come pickup the blue book/white plates so the dealership can get the red tags back).   But as far as the govt is concerned the sale/registration is complete  

I've heard some people really drag their feet in going back to the dealer to pickup the blue book/white plates as they want to drive around with red tags as long as the can---it's a face thing.  But the sale/registration is complete 

3 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

We ended last year with 25% of new cars registered in December being EV's, we opened this year with 21% of new car registrations being EV's, I am expecting we finish the year with 30% of new car registrations being EV's and a total of about 25% averaged across the year.

Problem is when anyone attempts to artificially inflate figures it normally goes horribly wrong

for the whole of 2023 the total number was 76,314 cars

I expect the total figures for 2024 will be 114,471 cars an increase of 50% from 2023 yearly sales

I expect the January total figure of 13,653 will not be maintained over the next 11 months

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Problem is when anyone attempts to artificially inflate figures it normally goes horribly wrong

for the whole of 2023 the total number was 76,314 cars

I expect the total figures for 2024 will be 114,471 cars an increase of 50% from 2023 yearly sales

I expect the January total figure of 13,653 will not be maintained over the next 11 months

I look forward to you telling me "Told you so!"

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/26/2024 at 12:05 PM, Bandersnatch said:

Neta V has a price reduction

IMG_3553.thumb.jpeg.93cb20f10373b65e898883b4ac36a443.jpeg

IMG_3552.thumb.jpeg.4b48d136f57ee64ee201c805e9a5fe78.jpeg

Before taking advantage of this special offer you might want to consider checking out the Neta V II ( or Neta Aya ) 

Coming in March 2024 !

I don’t see much difference tbh.

https://autolifethailand.tv/neta-v-ii-neta-aya-coming-thailand-march-2024/

IMG_2992.png.72653aed3651c1d497835668fa424734.png

Edited by Andrew Dwyer
  • Thanks 2

I always try to buy a new car in the second year on a new platform. All the bugs are out, usually a few nicer touches and they have not started cheaping it out. Car still looks pretty new for years. 

With EV, how long do the platforms actually last? 

Did anybody see this?

On the BYD Dolphin model, but also available for the Seal: 'All EV Service' is making progress 'hacking' some display details, pretty cool - albeit, EPA is not useful, but that is known in the industry.

I would like to have the WLTP range shown. instead of the CLTC.

42977230comps.jpg

46 minutes ago, mistral53 said:

Did anybody see this?

On the BYD Dolphin model, but also available for the Seal: 'All EV Service' is making progress 'hacking' some display details, pretty cool - albeit, EPA is not useful, but that is known in the industry.

I would like to have the WLTP range shown. instead of the CLTC.

42977230comps.jpg

CLTC range applies to vehicles sold "in China".   BYD models like the Seal, Atto, Dolphin sold in Thailand display in NEDC range.

image.png.4bc5bf02b0ff60d34f38023f70e0f279.png

10 minutes ago, Pib said:

CLTC range applies to vehicles sold "in China".   BYD models like the Seal, Atto, Dolphin sold in Thailand display in NEDC range.

So, if you charge at home (without solar) you're at about 0.66 to 0.78 per km and if you have to use a charge station, you would be at 0.93-1.11 per km for fuel. Sound about right? 

8 minutes ago, Pib said:

WLTP seems more realistic, quite a few Atto owners posted on FB they changed from NEDC to WLTP at their respective showrooms for a small fee of course !

Never heard of EPA but appears to be for the owners of lead boots !!

Dynamic works for me, obviously there are differences in range between fast highway driving and stop start city driving but with around 75% city and 25% highway i am not far away from WLTP