Electric Vehicles in Thailand

6 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

Actually, I’m a spreadsheet expert.

So, you were lying when you said: "Looks like you spend more time filling up your spreadsheet than I do charging my car." because you would know that it would only take a moment, yes? And you were being a dick when you said: "Luckily my car tells me my consumption instantly without needing any spreadsheets."  because you would know how much more a spreadsheet will do, and you also likely know that virtually every vehicle built in the last ten years will tell you your consumption. 

I was already using Lotus 123 with HAL add-on long before Excel existed.

Well aren't you special.

Columns A-H are self explanatory. However column I seems to be exactly the same odometer reading as col C but with a difference of 18,939 km. Col J is also self explanatory ie total amount in litres pumped. Columns K and L don’t make much sense to me without knowing your heading but it could be the cumulative litres/100 km and price per litre over the total ownership of your vehicle.

Col I is empty

One important metric you have omitted (arguably the most important one ) is fuel cost per km. you seem to be averaging around Thb 2.6 per km. No wonder guys like @ExpatOilWorker loves (deleted) like you.

I have not omitted fuel cost per liter, and it is far from the most important metric, at least to me, for obvious reasons.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

Knocking 300k THB off the price of a 1.7m THB car does 2 things, it p?ss?s off the previous buyers whose cars immediately depreciate and it destroys trust in the brand from both new & old customers after the initial rush of new buyers.

It is a fantastic spec for the price.  How does @Gweiloman feel? I think you bought one?

I am mildy p?ss?ed off that BYD knocked 50k THB off my 1.6m THB car but majorly p?ss?d off that MG knocked 100k THB off my 969k THB car.

MG reduced the price of their PHEV last month by B300K so that maybe a reason why Haval decided to reduce their prices

Byd sales in China  for February 2024 have fallen by 40% compared to January 2024 sales

https://www.car250.com/new-byd-2024-02-1.html

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, josephbloggs said:

A Bugatti Veyron burns through it's 100 litre tank in 12 minutes at max performance. I imagine this would be similar - why would you expect anything else?

(After 15 minutes at max speed in the Veyron you also need to replace the tyres for $42,000.)

That is still 50 miles at 250 mph, while the BYD would burn through the 80 kWh battery in less than 5 minutes making it about 15 miles down the road at a way slower speed.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

55 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

That is still 50 miles at 250 mph, while the BYD would burn through the 80 kWh battery in less than 5 minutes making it about 15 miles down the road at a way slower speed.

Will it ?

19 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

What is the range at 192 mph?

8 miles?

You are funny - where's there an 8, 10, 15 mile stretch to run at 305 km/h? That's what I thought, so the range point you alluded to is totally irrelevant.

On a more technical note, it is an impressive feat and needs crazy over-engineering for just bragging rights - for an electric car motor to sustain full power and battery drain for anything more than a few seconds is nothing short of a miracle, especially because BYD is using LFP batteries for this supercar.

Unfortunately the interior of this car is a disaster - by far the worst design of any BYD vehicle of recent production.......... what were they thinking???

More-YangWang-U9-interior-pictures.jpg

27 minutes ago, mistral53 said:

You are funny - where's there an 8, 10, 15 mile stretch to run at 305 km/h? That's what I thought, so the range point you alluded to is totally irrelevant.

Every one of his posts are irrelevant, why he's on 'that list' now :coffee1:

• Haha 1

Looks like Thailand New Vehicle "Registrations" for Feb 2024 took a dive from Jan 2024.   According to data released this morning on the DLT Statistics webpage Feb 2024 registrations in the RY1 category (private passenger vehicles carrying 7 or less...ICEV, EV, etc) 47,063 new vehicles were registered of which 3,529 being EVs.....this compared to 65,067 in Jan 2024 of which 13,314 being EVs.   

Yeap, total new RY1 registrations from Jan to Feb dropping from 65,067 to 47,063 which is a 28% drop.  And of within that total number EV registrations dropping from 13,314 to 3,529 which is a 73% drop.

HOWEVER, BUT, I expect the big EV registrations drop is predominantly due to the the government's EV Subsidy Program 3.0 ending 31 Dec 2023 which required sales made by 31 Dec 2023 to complete the registration process by 31 Jan 2024 in order to receive the higher subsidy amount.  So, Jan EV sales/registrations are surely distorted by the more generous  EV 3.0 subsidy program ending and being replaced by the less generous EV 3.5 program.  That is, a big push to get EVs sales "registered" by 31 Jan 2024 which effectively sapped registrations from near future months 

Examples of total sales by some of the EV and ICEV manufacturers follow:

EV Manf     Jan 2024    Feb 2024

BYD               7,806          1,068

NETA             2,013            216

ORA                 333              87

Tesla                 52            670

Now above was EV manufacturers, but the below ICEV manufacturers registrations fell  also.

ICEV Manf     Jan 2024   Feb 2024

Honda             11,073      9,616

Isuzu                6,904       5,178

Toyota            20,338    16,562       

Also keep in mind that vehicles sales in China/Thailand generally dip in the very first part of the year....been a trend for years.    Will be interesting to see how EV sales fair over the coming months under the new EV 3.5 subsidy program and frequently occurring big price cuts/promotions.  These price cuts are probably going to make many people setback for a while to see how far the prices go down....nothing more dis-satisfying that buying a car this month only to see it new price drop by a big amount the following month under a new promotion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Pib said:

Looks like Thailand New Vehicle "Registrations" for Feb 2024 took a dive from Jan 2024.   According to data released this morning on the DLT Statistics webpage Feb 2024 registrations in the RY1 category (private passenger vehicles carrying 7 or less...ICEV, EV, etc) 47,063 new vehicles were registered of which 3,529 being EVs.....this compared to 65,067 in Jan 2024 of which 13,314 being EVs.   

Yeap, total new RY1 registrations from Jan to Feb dropping from 65,067 to 47,063 which is a 28% drop.  And of within that total number EV registrations dropping from 13,314 to 3,529 which is a 73% drop.

HOWEVER, BUT, I expect the big EV registrations drop is predominantly due to the the government's EV Subsidy Program 3.0 ending 31 Dec 2023 which required sales made by 31 Dec 2023 to complete the registration process by 31 Jan 2024 in order to receive the higher subsidy amount.  So, Jan EV sales/registrations are surely distorted by the more generous  EV 3.0 subsidy program ending and being replaced by the less generous EV 3.5 program.  That is, a big push to get EVs sales "registered" by 31 Jan 2024 which effectively sapped registrations from near future months 

Examples of total sales by some of the EV and ICEV manufacturers follow:

EV Manf     Jan 2024    Feb 2024

BYD               7,806          1,068

NETA             2,013            216

ORA                 333              87

Tesla                 52            670

Now above was EV manufacturers, but the below ICEV manufacturers registrations fell  also.

ICEV Manf     Jan 2024   Feb 2024

Honda             11,073      9,616

Isuzu                6,904       5,178

Toyota            20,338    16,562       

Also keep in mind that vehicles sales in China/Thailand generally dip in the very first part of the year....been a trend for years.    Will be interesting to see how EV sales fair over the coming months under the new EV 3.5 subsidy program and frequently occurring big price cuts/promotions.  These price cuts are probably going to make many people setback for a while to see how far the prices go down....nothing more dis-satisfying that buying a car this month only to see it new price drop by a big amount the following month under a new promotion.

Does anyone know why Tesla went from 52 in January to  670 in February I haven't seen any major price reductions from Tesla

19 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Does anyone know why Tesla went from 52 in January to  670 in February I haven't seen any major price reductions from Tesla

I couldn't say....but below is the model breakout of the 670 Tesla's registered in Feb.

image.png.c8382e0b59fdd27023a35699b9621a30.png

• Thanks 1

On 2/24/2024 at 8:27 PM, Bandersnatch said:

His first reaction what the shape of the car. He had never seen one before or even heard of BYD and was quite taken with it. “Looks like a Porche Taycan”

Or perhaps  the  Porsche Taycan looks like like a BYD Seal :tongue:

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Perhaps they were waiting for the model 3 refresh.

At the end of last year there were only selling remaining inventory with few colors available.

• Agree 2

19 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Well there’s something amiss because my Seal was registered in February.

Don't understand your response.   The chart shows 302 Seals registered in Feb.

1 hour ago, JBChiangRai said:

Well there’s something amiss because my Seal was registered in February.

Remember the below:

"If you mean the month compared to it's equivalent month in the previous year?  I don't think we will ever see this happen 3 times in a row in our lifetime (in Thailand)."

2024 will be a tough year.

11 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Remember the below:

"If you mean the month compared to it's equivalent month in the previous year?  I don't think we will ever see this happen 3 times in a row in our lifetime (in Thailand)."

Are we saying Feb 24 EV registrations are less than Feb 23 EV registrations ?

I don’t have the numbers to hand

Just now, JBChiangRai said:

According to the Pib Post  EV registrations dropping from 13,314 to 3,529 which is a 73% drop.

Comparing Feb 2024 figures with Jan 2024 figures as some people  on this forum prefer to look at monthly sales figures rather than yearly sales figures

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

Pib just shared the numbers '24:

February 2023: 5,498

February 2024: 3,529

That is a 35.8% y-o-y drop. 

Hope you will stay around for another two months. 

Screenshot_20240217_070707_Chrome.thumb.jpg.3abfe4b946975dfc364665341a2bca94.jpg

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Remember the below:

1 hour ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Pib just shared the numbers '24:

February 2023: 5,498

February 2024: 3,529

That is a 35.8% y-o-y drop. 

Hope you will stay around for another two months. 

Screenshot_20240217_070707_Chrome.thumb.jpg.3abfe4b946975dfc364665341a2bca94.jpg

I will stay around, don’t worry, or maybe you should worry! I’m not worried.

• Haha 1