Electric Vehicles in Thailand

1 hour ago, vinny41 said:

If you do a search in one2car for all electric vehicles for sale by a private seller the results will show 3 Porsche cars

If you do a search in one2car for all fuel types for sale by private seller the results will show 797 vehicles

I did really well selling my 2 year old Porsche EV, I lost just under 10%

The UK second hand market is crashing, it’s not just EV’s, it’s all vehicles.

Here in Thailand there are always just a few private sellers on One2car for any vehicle type, it’s not a level playing fiend because the dealers must add 7% VAT, but customers don’t realise that and that private sellers often represent a bargain.

• Love It 1

3 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Is there a leccy MG?

This question establishes that you know absolutely nothing about EVs

3 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Now considering that the actual batteries are such a big % of the car cost. when the car is a few years old, and the owner wishes to sell, who would buy it? Have to be give-a-way price to get shot.

You’ve obvious don’t know that most EVs come with an 8 year 70% battery warranty.

Owls might be wise but apparently not this one 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, owl sees all said:

A UK guy, bought a Porsche, and after two years is was worth; or rather the best off he was offered, was less than 30% of purchase price. He was posting because he still owed 68k on it.

Now considering that the actual batteries are such a big % of the car cost. when the car is a few years old, and the owner wishes to sell, who would buy it? Have to be give-a-way price to get shot.

Is there a leccy MG?

There is one brand that appears to be offering an battery inspection check RÊVER Inspected

https://mgronline.com/motoring/detail/9660000071390

If you unlucky and the battery needs replacing due to an accident new insurance rules kick in from January 2024

Battery life not exceeding 4 years, 70% of the battery price will be paid from the vendor.

Battery life up to 5 years, 60% of the battery price will be paid from the vendor.

Battery life exceeding 5 years will pay a 50% battery compensation charge against the battery price from the vendor.

https://www.amarintv.com/spotlight/business-marketing/detail/56923

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

This question establishes that you know absolutely nothing about EVs

You’ve obvious don’t know that most EVs come with an 8 year 70% battery warranty.

Owls might be wise but apparently not this one 

I'm on this thread learning about them from posters in the know.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, JBChiangRai said:

I did really well selling my 2 year old Porsche EV, I lost just under 10%

The UK second hand market is crashing, it’s not just EV’s, it’s all vehicles.

Here in Thailand there are always just a few private sellers on One2car for any vehicle type, it’s not a level playing fiend because the dealers must add 7% VAT, but customers don’t realise that and that private sellers often represent a bargain.

Yes you did well selling your  2 year old Porsche EV

With the UK used market its about timing

2-3 years ago after Covid interest rates were low there was a worldwide shortage of certain components and as a result people ordering new cars were told there is a 12 month waiting list

at the time 6-9 month old  used cars were selling for more than the current price of the same model just due to availability

Last October in the Facebook groups I did see approx 10-20 Byd atto 3 appear from owners that want to sell and buy the Seal model used prices advertised were from B800,000 -B1,100,000 the top end pricing was very close to the official retail price for the extended version

Problem for both sellers and buyers as finance wouldn't lend on used ev payment options were limited to cash or taking over the finance contract (Can be expensive if original buyer went for low down payment option and finance repayments over 72 months

• Like 1

10 hours ago, owl sees all said:

I'm on this thread learning about them from posters in the know.

Byd published their replacement battery cost in 2023

BYD explains the selling price of the "ATTO 3" electric car battery , starting at 528,730 baht for the Standard Range model and 656,030 baht for the Extended Range model (prices do not include VAT).

https://www.sanook.com/auto/86639/

These prices don't include 7% vat or the labour cost for removing old battery and installing new battery

if you look at the extended battery 60.4 kWh B656,030 +7 VAT = B701, 952 budget approx between B60,000-100,000 for Labour cost and your looking at replacement battery cost of between B760,000-B800,000

On most models no option but to replace entire battery unit with the exception of the MG ZS EV which uses battery modulation where if you have a single damaged cell you just replace that cell rather than the entire battery

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Byd published their replacement battery cost in 2023

BYD explains the selling price of the "ATTO 3" electric car battery , starting at 528,730 baht for the Standard Range model and 656,030 baht for the Extended Range model (prices do not include VAT).

https://www.sanook.com/auto/86639/

These prices don't include 7% vat or the labour cost for removing old battery and installing new battery

if you look at the extended battery 60.4 kWh B656,030 +7 VAT = B701, 952 budget approx between B60,000-100,000 for Labour cost and your looking at replacement battery cost of between B760,000-B800,000

On most models no option but to replace entire battery unit with the exception of the MG ZS EV which uses battery modulation where if you have a single damaged cell you just replace that cell rather than the entire battery

All MG EV's are repairable by module.  

Tesla claims their battery packs are unrepairable and it has spawned an industry of third party companies repairing them.  I expect BYD will be the same.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JBChiangRai said:

All MG EV's are repairable by module.  

Tesla claims their battery packs are unrepairable and it has spawned an industry of third party companies repairing them.  I expect BYD will be the same.

I think the modular battery only applies for MG ZS EV and maybe MG EP,

MG4 doesn't have modular batteries and is a cell2pack 

according to this page MG 4 battery replacement is B525,000 excluding vat and labour costs

where the MG ZS EV modular cost is  B75,000  excluding vat and labour costs

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10161101638446877&set=p.10161101638446877&type=3

third party companies offering a repair solution in Thailand is years away Tesla have been selling cars in the states for over 12 years now if you exclude the tesla roadster

4 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

I think you could be right on the MG4, the EP is repairable by module according to the leaflet for the car.

My friend has just crashed his MG EP+ into a ditch, he fell asleep.  It will be interesting to see if he's damaged the battery.

It will be interesting to see in the future lets say 2032 if someone was looking at a used  2023 MG ZS EV or MG EP+ versus a MG 4 all the same condition mileage same level of battery degradation , battery warranty expired on all vehicles will the zs ev and EP command a higher resale value than the MG 4 due to the modular batteries

5 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

It will be interesting to see in the future lets say 2032 if someone was looking at a used  2023 MG ZS EV or MG EP+ versus a MG 4 all the same condition mileage same level of battery degradation , battery warranty expired on all vehicles will the zs ev and EP command a higher resale value than the MG 4 due to the modular batteries

I suspect DIY repair inside a modular battery might not be that difficult too.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

I hate this habit of quoting prices as 4xx,000

What it says to the consumer is I can’t be trusted because I’m hiding the price from you.

I think they are waiting for all their competitors to announce their prices before release their prices

They have been offering discounts in China with the entry model (155km range) starting at 5,250 USD (B189,052)

https://carnewschina.com/2024/03/01/now-one-of-chinas-cheapest-cars-the-changan-lumin-gets-a-discount-and-6-1-seconds-acceleration/

• Like 1

Vietnamese EV anyone ?

Vinfast will be showing off their range of ev’s, which includes an electric pickup, at the Bangkok Motor Show later this month.

Although sounds like only one EV will be RHD and destined for Thailand, also the pick up is a prototype, even so should be interesting.

IMG_3153.thumb.png.b0751aed745cab3d9476801b3cbff1dd.png

https://autolifethailand.tv/vinfast-ev-bev-coming-motor-show-2024-thailand/

• Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Vietnamese EV anyone ?

Vinfast will be showing off their range of ev’s, which includes an electric pickup, at the Bangkok Motor Show later this month.

Although sounds like only one EV will be RHD and destined for Thailand, also the pick up is a prototype, even so should be interesting.

IMG_3153.thumb.png.b0751aed745cab3d9476801b3cbff1dd.png

https://autolifethailand.tv/vinfast-ev-bev-coming-motor-show-2024-thailand/

I have been to Vietnam 3 times in the last 5 months and am going again on Thursday, you see Vinfast everywhere, but they are not nice, they won't stand up against Chinese competition.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, JBChiangRai said:

I have been to Vietnam 3 times in the last 5 months and am going again on Thursday, you see Vinfast everywhere, but they are not nice, they won't stand up against Chinese competition.

Yes, I watched a YouTube video about someone trialing a Vinfast in the US, it took a bit of a slating!

25 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Yes, I watched a YouTube video about someone trialing a Vinfast in the US, it took a bit of a slating!

They had a stand in the mall, the cars are underwhelming, ugly and not big on power.

Edited by JBChiangRai
Spellong

In fact, I was in wondering when an EV Pick-up would hit the market.

Since it's a very common type of 'car' in LOS, in particular in small towns and coutryside, they could have big sales wihout other direct EV competitors

• Like 1

Hello everybody,

My 22 year old Honda CR-V has finally given the ghost and so I'm looking to buy a new car, probably a small SUV.

Trying to decide between a hybrid (either Honda HR-V or Toyota Yaris Cross) or an EV, the front runner being the Volvo EX30 CORE that is about to arrive on Thai roads.

My main concerns about an EV are probably pretty typical:

1) range anxiety - I like to get out of Bangkok into some pretty remote areas - how widespread are charging points across Thailand and how rapidly is the number increasing?

2) We own a house in Bangkok so presume we can install a wall charger - do I need to get our electricity supply evaluated first and who can do this for me? Would a Volvo technician do it for me before installing the wall charger?

Sorry, I'm sure there are loads of questions like this on this forum so if this post betrays just how new I am to this please feel free to tell me to read all 168 pages, or point me to some useful english language resources that might answer my questions.

Thanks!

N

• Like 2