Electric Vehicles in Thailand

1 hour ago, Niltava said:

This morning I did a test drive of the Volvo EX30 (Ultra, single motor, extended range).

This is the first time I have driven an EV and it was certainly a very impressive, refined car.  The acceleration is quite something.

If you like the single motor, you are going to love the dual motor!

4 hours ago, KhunLA said:

I just prefer not to give them money for something that is going to get burned up to nothing, and degrade other parts of the car in the process.  Petroleum products/byproducts are an almost necessity in life, unless going Amish, and I wouldn't do that to horses here.  Brutally hot, and that would be cruel.

Would be pretty cool though, as I'm almost in a '15 mins city' scenario.  Makro is only 3 kms away, 7-11 even closer.  Been a few decades since I had access to horses.

image.png.c818263dc9e3b991afbe0f1b9a4f983d.png

The Bimmer will be rolling by Saturday morning so you might wake up to the roaring in-line 6 cylinders.

We will be stopping at this PTT (https://maps.app.goo.gl/7wvDmAo7jiYMJi157) to top up the 750 kWh power pack, offload some vomit and have breakfast at the Black Canyon, if you want to meet the EOW clan.

The vomit is from the two years old, she doesn't yet fully appreciate the smooth Bimmer ride.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

The Bimmer will be rolling by Saturday morning so you might wake up to the roaring in-line 6 cylinders.

We will be stopping at this PTT (https://maps.app.goo.gl/7wvDmAo7jiYMJi157) to top up the 750 kWh power pack, offload some vomit and have breakfast at the Black Canyon, if you want to meet the EOW clan.

The vomit is from the two years old, she doesn't yet fully appreciate the smooth Bimmer ride.

I don't think an MG will have the front to park next to a BMW, it makes them feel inferior....😂

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Whoa ... that's 40 kms south of us.  Was down that way the other day.

Tomorrow MG is going in for a check up, as the doors aren't auto locking once rolling along.  Used to self lock at about 15 kph.

15 minutes ago, transam said:

I don't think an MG will have the front to park next to a BMW, it makes them feel inferior....😂

Nothing makes me feel inferior ... :coffee1:

9 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Whoa ... that's 40 kms south of us.  Was down that way the other day.

Tomorrow MG is going in for a check up, as the doors aren't auto locking once rolling along.  Used to self lock at about 15 kph.

Yeah, it is our favorite PTT, it is exactly 100π or 314 km from Bangkok.

Edited by ExpatOilWorker

3 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

If you like the single motor, you are going to love the dual motor!

Yes indeed. I was talking to a friend last week who has one and he says it is absolutely unbelievable.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

So March was a bad month for all car sales in Thailand, but worse for ICE cars as the relentless growth of EVs here replace ICE cars. 

Keep on dreaming. EV sales were exactly 10.6% of total sales both in February and March, 2024.

Legacy auto manufacturers are doing great 👍,  thanks for asking.

Total Returns over last year...

Toyota: +71%

Stellantis: +65%

Ferrari: +56%

Honda: +40%

GM: +24%

BMW: +14%

Ford: +13%

Mercedes-Benz: +11%

Tesla: -20%

GKPW5C8WoAAWxYq.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Keep on dreaming. EV sales were exactly 10.6% of total sales both in February and March, 2024.

Legacy auto manufacturers are doing great 👍,  thanks for asking.

Total Returns over last year...

Toyota: +71%

Stellantis: +65%

Ferrari: +56%

Honda: +40%

GM: +24%

BMW: +14%

Ford: +13%

Mercedes-Benz: +11%

Tesla: -20%

GKPW5C8WoAAWxYq.png

What a Muppet! 

He thinks Stellantis sales in Thailand increased 65%

😂

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Bandersnatch said:

EV Registrations March

IMG_3746.thumb.jpeg.8f2b941c7c3eb82c1f8705cbb2c115b6.jpeg

From looking at the full article/numbers and comparing that to the DLT data/spreadsheet appears autolifethailand is now also counting some 100% electric vehicles outside of only the RY1 category of private vehicle not exceeding 7 passengers like the RY6 category of passenger vehicle for hire not exceeding 7 passengers.

https://autolifethailand.tv/ev-register-march-2024-thailand/

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

What a Muppet! 

He thinks Stellantis sales in Thailand increased 65%

😂

Let's keep the name calling for the kindergarten and focus on the EV sales numbers y-o-y:

January: +352.5%

February: -33.9%

March: -19.5%

The honeymoon period is over for EVs.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

February 2024 registrations January Sales

Total number of R.Y.1 Private passenger car with no more than 7 people 48,774 all fuel types

Total number of R.Y.1 Private passenger car with no more than 7 people EVs  3,530  approx market share 7.3%

https://web.dlt.go.th/statistics/

I think we should stick to a single source of statistics, so we're comparing apples to apples, let's not start to try to compare apples to pears

• Sad 1

48 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Whilst I think the Volvo is a fine car, I think it's poor value compared to other EV's on the market.  It's best not to be blinded by the badge, it's from the same country as BYD.

Volvo single motor (LFP) spec'd (battery & range (WLTP), about the same as MG ZS, although much peppier off the line.   Would think fit & finish a bit more refined for the price point.

Partnership with CH's Greely manufacturer.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

I think we should stick to a single source of statistics, so we're comparing apples to apples, let's not start to try to compare apples to pears

This website https://web.dlt.go.th/statistics/

is the DLT  which is the same source that autolifethailand is using except for their figures that are taking 

R.Y.1 Private passenger car with no more than 7 people plus R.Y.6 Vehicles for hire carrying no more than 7 passengers plus an unknown vehicle class or classes  as there is 11 vehicles missing

Someone asked me once do I believe everything that journalist writes it does help when  you understand how they are producing figures

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

I have seen reports of MG ZS EV battery module being available for B75K I think the total number of battery modules are 6

At that price, might replace 1 or 2 modules, but not the whole pack, as would mean the car is already 8+ yrs old, so just buy a new EV, and start at -0- kms.

Would think in 6.5 more years, that price would even be much less.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, transam said:

I will help him cut a few Coke Zero cans and stick them on as exhaust pipes, so the MG doesn't feel so naked next to the Bimmer. 

20171208_094806.jpg

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JBChiangRai said:

Whilst I think the Volvo is a fine car, I think it's poor value compared to other EV's on the market.  It's best not to be blinded by the badge, it's from the same country as BYD.

............and MG..........🤭

• Sad 2

36 minutes ago, Sophon said:

If your feeling of self worth is tied up in the car you own, then you really are a sad person.

I don't own a car, but what about your Honda Click.........:stoner:

• Sad 1

42 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

I asked CoPilot to compare the Volvo EX30 dual motor with the MG4 X-Power, it got the performance figures wrong which I corrected to 3.8 seconds, but otherwise I think they are similar size, performance and same segment although the X-Power is 37% cheaper.

Let’s compare the Volvo EX30 Twin Motor Performance and the MG4 XPOWER electric hatchbacks. Here are the key differences between these two models:

1. Size and Dimensions:

2. Range and Performance:

3. Battery and Charging:

4. Driver Technology:

• Both vehicles offer similar levels of driver-assist technology features.
    • The Volvo EX30, however, provides a larger screen, higher-resolution camera system, and auto park assistance.
  5. Infotainment and Connectivity:

6. Other Features:

In summary, the Volvo EX30 offers better performance, a longer range, and superior infotainment, while the MG4 XPOWER is lighter and features V2L capability. Consider your priorities when choosing between these two electric hatchbacks! 🚗🔌

I am biased when it comes to the MG4 but I think it's a compelling option considering it's 770,000 baht cheaper and a very similar car.

The other issue is price wars, Volvo hasn't joined that yet and I would be worried that they do that this year.  I would definitely be wanting 12 months price protection if I ordered a Volvo.

• Agree 1