Electric Vehicles in Thailand

20 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

I will help him cut a few Coke Zero cans and stick them on as exhaust pipes, so the MG doesn't feel so naked next to the Bimmer. 

20171208_094806.jpg

That's the best 5 series they ever made, especially the 540i 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

I asked CoPilot to compare the Volvo EX30 dual motor with the MG4 X-Power, it got the performance figures wrong which I corrected to 3.8 seconds, but otherwise I think they are similar size, performance and same segment although the X-Power is 37% cheaper.

Let’s compare the Volvo EX30 Twin Motor Performance and the MG4 XPOWER electric hatchbacks. Here are the key differences between these two models:

1. Size and Dimensions:

2. Range and Performance:

3. Battery and Charging:

4. Driver Technology:

• Both vehicles offer similar levels of driver-assist technology features.
    • The Volvo EX30, however, provides a larger screen, higher-resolution camera system, and auto park assistance.
  5. Infotainment and Connectivity:

6. Other Features:

In summary, the Volvo EX30 offers better performance, a longer range, and superior infotainment, while the MG4 XPOWER is lighter and features V2L capability. Consider your priorities when choosing between these two electric hatchbacks! 🚗🔌

I am biased when it comes to the MG4 but I think it's a compelling option considering it's 770,000 baht cheaper and a very similar car.

The other issue is price wars, Volvo hasn't joined that yet and I would be worried that they do that this year.  I would definitely be wanting 12 months price protection if I ordered a Volvo.

I can't see any brand car dealership offering a 12 months price protection

I can't see any auto manufacturer offering a 12 months price protection

I know when Toyota 1st started selling hybrid and buyers were cautious about buying hybrid they did introduce Guaranteed Future Value so after 4-5 years they would buy the vehicle back at agreed price subject to a number of conditions

for starters most  brand car dealership's are franchise's and they have no control over the price of the vehicle as that it set by the manufacturer 

When you purchase a car your contract is with the dealer,  not the  manufacturer

the  manufacturer may intervene on your behalf to resolve an issue that you may have with the dealership but they wouldn't get involved in pricing or price protection guarantees

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sophon said:

If your feeling of self worth is tied up in the car you own, then you really are a sad person.

There is a word for people who don't identify with the vehicle they drive, it is called: A female 🙄 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

IMG_0517.jpeg.0d2c8119d10857bb26d09285498742c1.jpeg

No one knows the March 2024 sales figures yet as they only appear in the DLT registrations data 4 weeks later

so January registrations are December sales, February registrations are January sales and March registrations are February sales figures

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

A+

Screenshot_20240404_090857_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240217_070707_Chrome.jpg

Much appreciated.

I agree that the Feb and March figures are disappointing, but do you really think we will see less than 3,822 EVs sold in April? If we do then I will admit that EVs have a problem. 

If EV sales in April 2024 exceed 3,822 will you admit your projection was wrong? We will have to wait and see

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

Much appreciated.

I agree that the Feb and March figures are disappointing, but do you really think we will see less than 3,822 EVs sold in April? If we do then I will admit that EVs have a problem. 

If EV sales in April 2024 exceed 3,822 will you admit your projection was wrong? We will have to wait and see

I am also cheering for higher April sales, as our esteemed Chiang Rai member claims we won't see 3 consecutive months of declining EV sales in his lifetime.  

I think we have to see all of 2024 sales before we can draw any conclusions, maybe even 2025 sales numbers. There are a lot of unknowns, price cutting, newer and smaller models, shifting political will, economic slowdown, Chinese factories opening up, or possibly delaying opening up. For now it is just a bit up and down, but nevertheless fun to follow.

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, vinny41 said:

I can't see any brand car dealership offering a 12 months price protection

I can't see any auto manufacturer offering a 12 months price protection

I know when Toyota 1st started selling hybrid and buyers were cautious about buying hybrid they did introduce Guaranteed Future Value so after 4-5 years they would buy the vehicle back at agreed price subject to a number of conditions

for starters most  brand car dealership's are franchise's and they have no control over the price of the vehicle as that it set by the manufacturer 

When you purchase a car your contract is with the dealer,  not the  manufacturer

the  manufacturer may intervene on your behalf to resolve an issue that you may have with the dealership but they wouldn't get involved in pricing or price protection guarantees

I have requested 12 month price protection on my MG Cyberster from MG HQ in Thailand, or I will cancel my order.  It has gone up to HQ from the local dealer for consideration and I wouldn't be surprised if it has gone all the way to MG China.  In today's cut-throat market, I wouldn't buy another car without price protection unless it is one already heavily discounted.

I agree it is unheard of in the Auto industry, but it is common practice in the IT industry.  IBM used to try and stuff me full of kit at their year end and it always came with price protection.

2 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

I am also cheering for higher April sales, as our esteemed Chiang Rai member claims we won't see 3 consecutive months of declining EV sales in his lifetime.  

I think we have to see all of 2024 sales before we can draw any conclusions, maybe even 2025 sales numbers. There are a lot of unknowns, price cutting, newer and smaller models, shifting political will, economic slowdown, Chinese factories opening up, or possibly delaying opening up. For now it is just a bit up and down, but nevertheless fun to follow.

What is important is the ratio of new EV's to new ICE.  I didn't consider a slump in the entire auto industry.  If the ratio starts to decrease over 3 months consecutively, then I will indeed concede EV's have a problem.

1 hour ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

The EV charging station at my building is great 👍 as a pitstop area to prep the Bimmer for the road trip.

Is it a fast charger?

20240404_110301.jpg

20240404_105456.jpg

That plug is Level 2 normal AC Charging in Thailand (220v/380v).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JBChiangRai said:

I have requested 12 month price protection on my MG Cyberster from MG HQ in Thailand, or I will cancel my order.  It has gone up to HQ from the local dealer for consideration and I wouldn't be surprised if it has gone all the way to MG China.  In today's cut-throat market, I wouldn't buy another car without price protection unless it is one already heavily discounted.

I agree it is unheard of in the Auto industry, but it is common practice in the IT industry.  IBM used to try and stuff me full of kit at their year end and it always came with price protection.

What is important is the ratio of new EV's to new ICE.  I didn't consider a slump in the entire auto industry.  If the ratio starts to decrease over 3 months consecutively, then I will indeed concede EV's have a problem.

That plug is Level 2 normal AC Charging in Thailand (220v/380v).

Good Luck with trying to get a price reduction protection I am aware of some auto manufacturer offering a price increase protection but never price reduction protection

Personally I think the EV industry needs to look at other solutions to generate sales such as buying up insurance companies and offering 3-4 year insurance or buying up banks and offering 0% interest over 

60 or 72 months Currently some brands if they offer  0% interest rate its normally for a max term of 48 months

When Chevrolet offered 50% discount as part of their exit strategy they weren't concerned about their  existing Thai customer based loyalty or about the reduction in values of their customers  vehicles in Thailand

I am sure at the moment finance and banks are ultra cautious about finance on EV's

They take a very negative attitude against lending against a product that might be B250,000 less next month as the customer could end up with negative equity on the finance agreement

And of course  price reduction protection can work against customers

Would you have sold your daughter MG EP+ if the buyer insisted on a price reduction protection clause in the event that MG reduce the price of the MG EP+, I suspect you would have told the buyer to take an hike

Edited by vinny41
add
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Vinfast have announced they will be entering the EV market in Thailand. They will be selling fully built up cars as they fall under the AFTA trade agreements and are not subject to Thai import tax. They have 15 dealers with 22 showrooms nationwide.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Niltava said:

This morning I did a test drive of the Volvo EX30 (Ultra, single motor, extended range).

This is the first time I have driven an EV and it was certainly a very impressive, refined car.  The acceleration is quite something.

Talking to the sale rep, one thing that I was surprised to learn was that they claim that a replacement for the whole of the battery would cost about THB 80,000 (eighty thousand baht).  I double checked with him about this, infact I triple checked and he said this was the right figure.  He told me that the battery comes in 4 sections that can be replaced individually, each one costing about THB 20k. Can this be correct?  I was under the impression that a EV battery makes up a substantial portion of the car's cost, so clearly this seems a bit odd.

N

Sounds like your typical Thai employee who is absolutely clueless about the product they are trying to sell.

I expect it's supposed to be 800,000 THB.

1 hour ago, vinny41 said:

Good Luck with trying to get a price reduction protection I am aware of some auto manufacturer offering a price increase protection but never price reduction protection

Personally I think the EV industry needs to look at other solutions to generate sales such as buying up insurance companies and offering 3-4 year insurance or buying up banks and offering 0% interest over 

60 or 72 months Currently some brands if they offer  0% interest rate its normally for a max term of 48 months

When Chevrolet offered 50% discount as part of their exit strategy they weren't concerned about their  existing Thai customer based loyalty or about the reduction in values of their customers  vehicles in Thailand

I am sure at the moment finance and banks are ultra cautious about finance on EV's

They take a very negative attitude against lending against a product that might be B250,000 less next month as the customer could end up with negative equity on the finance agreement

And of course  price reduction protection can work against customers

Would you have sold your daughter MG EP+ if the buyer insisted on a price reduction protection clause in the event that MG reduce the price of the MG EP+, I suspect you would have told the buyer to take an hike

I will be as surprised as you if I get price protection, but I will cancel if I don't.

1 hour ago, stratocaster said:

Vinfast have announced they will be entering the EV market in Thailand. They will be selling fully built up cars as they fall under the AFTA trade agreements and are not subject to Thai import tax. They have 15 dealers with 22 showrooms nationwide.

I was in Vietnam last week, Vinfast cars are horrible.

6 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

There is a word for people who don't identify with the vehicle they drive, it is called: A female 🙄 

Like I said, sad...

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Why are you limiting it to chargers over 100kW ? All DC Charging is fast charging.  You don't need to filter on anything other than plug type

These are fast chargers, do you have problems reading?

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

1 minute ago, JBChiangRai said:

50kW chargers are fast chargers, why did you exclude those under 100kW ?

lol.. spending up to 2 hours charging your car is not fast charging. Never forget the 15% charging loss.

• Confused 4
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

More cherry pickin' BS ... as my car won't even accept 100kW.  Some, most would consider that as being a bit deceptive ...  :coffee1:

Try filtering 50kWh & up, and don't use the online site, use the app, as more up to date.  Better, use Charge Loma, and you can simply filter the most popular 'fast plug'

As I've already posted:

image.png.aeec8a90a8a916df21cad4d9b1b1f700.png

Why do you keep lying about chargers in Thailand when anyone can easily check your lies? also I thought you said you left some time ago? I guess that was another lie.

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1