Electric Vehicles in Thailand

13 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

You might find this hard to believe, but I'm not trying to impress you,

Oh, not to worry "One Swallow Does Not A Summer Make".

13 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

the world does not revolve around Mr. YellowTail.

Toyota and Ford maybe using the same names, but they are not even remotely like the same platforms.  So far all we are seeing as facelifts of old cars and no talk or leaks of anything regarding a replacement.

When Musk does announce a new car, history tells you to take it with a pinch of salt, for a few years anyway.

Oh, I thought when you said: "The elephant in the room with Tesla is they have no model replacement plan." I thought that was what you meant, no? 

• Haha 1

If a Chinese car meets the 40% local content requirement and is certified as originating from Thailand, it will be exported within and outside the ASEAN region through the ASEAN FTA network.

If the “40% local content” requirement cannot be met, the majority of BEVs produced in Thailand will remain in the domestic market. If there is an oversupply, the entire market will be affected if discount sales become rampant, similar to what happened in China

https://www.thinkchina.sg/made-thailand-chinese-evs-could-fill-auto-market

I suspect both the UK and the EU will ask Thailand for quid pro quo as currently Thailand slaps 40%-80% tariffs on cars from the UK and the EU entering Thailand

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

If a Chinese car meets the 40% local content requirement and is certified as originating from Thailand, it will be exported within and outside the ASEAN region through the ASEAN FTA network.

If the “40% local content” requirement cannot be met, the majority of BEVs produced in Thailand will remain in the domestic market. If there is an oversupply, the entire market will be affected if discount sales become rampant, similar to what happened in China

https://www.thinkchina.sg/made-thailand-chinese-evs-could-fill-auto-market

I suspect both the UK and the EU will ask Thailand for quid pro quo as currently Thailand slaps 40%-80% tariffs on cars from the UK and the EU entering Thailand

If

“If wishes were fishes, we’d all swim in riches” 

• Confused 1

China’s EV Exports to EU Slump at Start of Year Amid Probe

Shipments during January-February fall by nearly 20%

China business group says decline a sign of protectionism

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2024-03-26/china-s-ev-exports-to-eu-slump-at-start-of-year-amid-probe

whatever tariffs the EU applies to China will also be applied to Thailand or any country that doesn't have a FTA agreement with the EU

A number of Chinese EV manufacturers are looking at opening up plants in Turkey to benefit from the Turkish-EU customs union

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BKKBike09 said:

I must have got an extra special Atto then, because I get at least 300 km range at 120 kmh (+), BKK-Jomtien on a regular basis on Highway 7. The 'real time' power usage goes up to around 18-20 kw/100 km.

Where were those tests done? In the Arctic?

Yea....the stats in EOW's post must have been cold winter testing.  From going to the weblink in the post it seems the testing was done in the UK but I couldn't find any details about each test like time of year and road condition when the testing was done....maybe it there somewhere but I couldn't fine it and it's not reflected in the chart.   By converting the numbers in that chart to Watthours per kilometer the Atto was using 285 Wh/km at a highway speed of 75mph (120kmh).  

When comparing that 285 Wh/km when cruising at 120kmh (75mph)  in -10C weather with heating on it's pretty close to the 257 Wh/km (68mph) when cruising 110kmh in  -10C weather with heating on as reflected by below efficiency data at the ev-database.org website.  I expect when speeding-up from 110kmh to 120kmh in -10C weather with heaters it would be around 285 Wh/km.

I'm not too worried about ever having to operate my Atto in -10C winter weather conditions here in Thailand where range drops very significantly for any EV. 

https://ev-database.org/car/1782/BYD-ATTO-3#efficiency

image.png.c573dc50bcd9fca49e1382cacd5dae59.png

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

Agreed, high speed will reduce the range of EVs, but as most people do most of their driving on short journeys in Town EVs range will be better than claimed.

It’s also worth pointing out the the average Hilux driver reading this forum will probably only be getting 10-11km/L at highway speed and much worse stuck in traffic on beach road

Why mention a pick-up, a work horse...?  🤭
Plus, I would have thought Hilux owners know all about fuel consumption, over 30+ mpg/50kmpg, which is pretty good for a big heavy vehicle, and a fuel station is never that far away, even in LOS.....😁

1 hour ago, transam said:

Why mention a pick-up, a work horse...?  🤭
Plus, I would have thought Hilux owners know all about fuel consumption, over 30+ mpg/50kmpg, which is pretty good for a big heavy vehicle, and a fuel station is never that far away, even in LOS.....😁

And a 700-800 km range....

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, JBChiangRai said:

and a noisy engine

Not really, not for a diesel, things have moved on a bit, you know.....

Try a Merc or Jag diesel, incredibly quiet, I had one....😉

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, transam said:

Rubbish, years back I had a Merc E220 diesel, quite as a mouse, my chum had a 6 pot diesel Merc, quiet as a mouse. My chum had a new Jag diesel quiet as a mouse.

All quiet as a mouse cab side.....

Go watch UK police videos where they use BMW diesels, quiet as a mouse.

Some of you come up with some real cr@p.....😂

Reads like you have been looking at clunkers..

image.png.9dfa3b93b554a4ce212966a68bfcd73f.png

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, In the jungle said:

My Hilux 15 to 16 km/litre since it was new.  Now 500,000 km on the odo.

1000 km range.

Hilux fuel tank is smaller than I thought !

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Interesting, I thought they were 76lt.. as does google !

I think I got the 65 litre figure from either Toyota's website or a brochure but at least one time a fuel station recorded a higher figure when filling up.  I assumed the fuel metering was suspect but maybe your 76 litre figure is right.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, Pib said:

Yea....the stats in EOW's post must have been cold winter testing.  From going to the weblink in the post it seems the testing was done in the UK but I couldn't find any details about each test like time of year and road condition when the testing was done....maybe it there somewhere but I couldn't fine it and it's not reflected in the chart.   By converting the numbers in that chart to Watthours per kilometer the Atto was using 285 Wh/km at a highway speed of 75mph (120kmh).  

When comparing that 285 Wh/km when cruising at 120kmh (75mph)  in -10C weather with heating on it's pretty close to the 257 Wh/km (68mph) when cruising 110kmh in  -10C weather with heating on as reflected by below efficiency data at the ev-database.org website.  I expect when speeding-up from 110kmh to 120kmh in -10C weather with heaters it would be around 285 Wh/km.

I'm not too worried about ever having to operate my Atto in -10C winter weather conditions here in Thailand where range drops very significantly for any EV. 

https://ev-database.org/car/1782/BYD-ATTO-3#efficiency

image.png.c573dc50bcd9fca49e1382cacd5dae59.png

That is very interesting, although not relevant for Thailand, that EV range is so temperature sensitive. 

How much of an effect is Bangkok traffic and the summer ☀️ heat on the Atto 3's range?

10 km/h is not uncommon for a morning/afternoon commute. Assuming 7 km/kWh driving milage, suddenly the AC consuming 1,000 W play a big factor.

19 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

That is very interesting, although not relevant for Thailand, that EV range is so temperature sensitive. 

How much of an effect is Bangkok traffic and the summer ☀️ heat on the Atto 3's range?

10 km/h is not uncommon for a morning/afternoon commute. Assuming 7 km/kWh driving milage, suddenly the AC consuming 1,000 W play a big factor.

You would have to be stuck in traffic for about an hour to use 1kwh with the MG ZS, as that's about what ours uses per hour +/+.   I actually did if for a much period, (camping in the ZS) and it was about the same, but didn't actually take photos before/after.

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

You would have to be stuck in traffic for about an hour to use 1kwh with the MG ZS, as that's about what ours uses per hour +/+.   I actually did if for a much period, (camping in the ZS) and it was about the same, but didn't actually take photos before/after.

There's a shocker...

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

When I got my BYD Seal 5 months ago there weren’t any English language owners posting videos, so I spent a good deal of time sitting in the car with the aircon on making videos. I can confirm that car uses very little power when not moving about 1% per hour.

Teslas come with a dedicated camp mode 

IMG_0523.jpeg.a3ee0bfeec6b1bfe37d2e2a3983b22e3.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

There's a shocker...

Why, was just for my own curiosity, and since it was about the same as I expected, no surprise.   Feel free to believe me or not.

If you click the link I posted above, the post below that by 'G', and his EV uses a bit less, 1-1.5%, although if having a larger battery, then possibly the same.   It's in the ballpark, but certainly wouldn't be 1kWh for the time it takes to drive 7kms, as posted by EOW, unless as stated, stuck in traffic for an hour.

On the motorway, you wouldn't notice much difference at all, 80-90 kph, and you would only use about 3kWh in 3 hrs, traveling 240-270 kms.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

When I got my BYD Seal 5 months ago there weren’t any English language owners posting videos, so I spent a good deal of time sitting in the car with the aircon on making videos. I can confirm that car uses very little power when not moving about 1% per hour.

1% of a fully charged battery per hour? 

The article mentions lights and music, but not air conditioning or heating, but that would be great if they air-conditioned works in car for 100 hours without charging. 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Why, was just for my own curiosity, and since it was about the same as I expected, no surprise.   Feel free to believe me or not.

If you click the link I posted above, the post below that by 'G', and his EV uses a bit less, 1-1.5%, although if having a larger battery, then possibly the same.   It's in the ballpark, but certainly wouldn't be 1kWh for the time it takes to drive 7kms, as posted by EOW, unless as stated, stuck in traffic for an hour.

On the motorway, you wouldn't notice much difference at all, 80-90 kph, and you would only use about 3kWh in 3 hrs, traveling 240-270 kms.

I believe you, why would I not? I have no reason to think you a liar. 

It was a joke, sorry 

• Haha 1

I mentioned my lady friend in her 70's had ordered an Atto 3 410, yesterday she had a test drive of the MG4 X-Power and put down a deposit on it.  

I had a feeling she might, she likes fast cars.  She will be charging it at MG, Central Mall and some hotels/restaurants, her house is off-grid and doesn't have a lot of power.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

IMG_0523.jpeg.a3ee0bfeec6b1bfe37d2e2a3983b22e3.jpeg

Right, so if the car is consuming 1.3 kWh for propulsion (10 km @ 7 km/kWh) and the AC is separately using 1 kWh, then the overall milage for EVs drops significantly in hot weather and slow moving Bangkok city traffic, similarly to the case of extreme cold weather and highway speed.

@Pib probably has the number, but just like ICE, EVs certainly also have a 20-80 km/h sweet spot in terms of fuel efficiency.