Electric Vehicles in Thailand

1 hour ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

That is correct and since you are high your house will also burn down, but that will be classified as a separate house fire.

The EVs are parked and charged outside.

The solar ESS are in AC comfort & safer LFP chemistry, and not stressed, hence adding the 2nd pack.

Now the RC toys ... lots of older batteries and chemistry make up, but also in AC comfort.  Not used indoors, and don't expect a spontaneous combustion from them.  Never unattended when charging.

Flame Up ... don't care as long as I'm not sleeping.  Would give me a good reason  to upgrade :coffee1:

I'd be more concerned about that highly combustible, and 61 times more likely to flame up vehicle you got parked at the house.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

I agree, but also we should only be counting self-igniting fires otherwise it proves nothing on EV battery tech.

It is your luck day 😊. The Ratchaburi EV fire was classified as a thermal runaway battery 🔋 fire 🔥

FB_IMG_1716025025945.jpg

FB_IMG_1716025033453.jpg

FB_IMG_1716025039691.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, vinny41 said:

You didn't try and tempt her towards a 2022 MG ZS EV

Nah, though did point out the battery difference (module replacement).   Styling won her over.

For others ... MG ZS back on sale, and still includes free wall charger installation.   Feeling the heat from BYD.    So now, if ours gets totaled or stolen, when get a new one + change in the pocket, since insured for 900k.   OK, maybe just a new replacement.

Someone want to tell me again about price depreciation, as seems to be working in our favor ... :cheesy:

And no, we have no desire to ever sell our ZS.

A bit deceptive, as showing the X model, not the D model, which is the one at the 'starting price'.  D not available in red, and doesn't have roof rails.

image.png.43bd553f265c86e5038a6bf51338e4ea.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, JBChiangRai said:

Nonsense, I have posted statistics even better than I was claiming. I could explain the maths to you, but I don't have any crayons handy

But none back up your claims of EV's are 14 and 130 times less likely to catch fire than an ICE car.

The links you have provided are not acurate though (as per your claim) as they are grouping ICE vehicles with HEV vehicles.

What are the stats for HEV vehicles.... fires caused by internal combustion engine versus the electric battery pack ?

Edited by Ralf001
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

But none back up your claims of EV's are 14 and 130 times less likely to catch fire than an ICE car.

The links you have provided are not acurate though (as per your claim) as they are grouping ICE vehicles with HEV vehicles.

What are the stats for HEV vehicles.... fires caused by internal combustion engine versus the electric battery pack ?

I am not sure I understand you.

The ICE fire stats don't include HEV and vice-versa.  The HEV fire stats don't differentiate between where the fire originated (battery vs fuel)

9 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

I am not sure I understand you.

The ICE fire stats don't include HEV and vice-versa.  The HEV fire stats don't differentiate between where the fire originated (battery vs fuel)

Your claim of 14 and 130 does.

38 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Your claim of 14 and 130 does.

No it doesn't, I didn't qualify it, but if you want me to, it's 13-14 times more likely for ICE and 129/130 times more likely for HEV.  Those figures are a year old now, I believe the gap has widened further (EOW will tell you it's 11 not 13 or 14).

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

No it doesn't, I didn't qualify it, but if you want me to, it's 13-14 times more likely for ICE and 129/130 times more likely for HEV.  Those figures are a year old now, I believe the gap has widened further (EOW will tell you it's 11 not 13 or 14).

Ahh there we go.

FWIW ICE fires versus EV fires is closer to 60... not 13 to 14.

5 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Nah, though did point out the battery difference (module replacement).   Styling won her over.

For others ... MG ZS back on sale, and still includes free wall charger installation.   Feeling the heat from BYD.    So now, if ours gets totaled or stolen, when get a new one + change in the pocket, since insured for 900k.   OK, maybe just a new replacement.

Someone want to tell me again about price depreciation, as seems to be working in our favor ... :cheesy:

And no, we have no desire to ever sell our ZS.

A bit deceptive, as showing the X model, not the D model, which is the one at the 'starting price'.  D not available in red, and doesn't have roof rails.

image.png.43bd553f265c86e5038a6bf51338e4ea.png

I had a deposit down on a ZS EV in 2019 before the launch day. EVs were expensive in those days, pleased to see that prices are becoming more affordable all the time

IMG_4153.thumb.jpeg.1d0f6a04c01a05147797e433b93ed637.jpeg

• Agree 1

This morning's EV fire 🔥 to wake you up. Can anyone spot the brand?

EV fire 🔥 Tracking - Thailand 

1. BYD Seal - Ratchaburi roll-over

- An EV fire is a fire in an EV, whether caused by technical fault, charging, accident, arson, internal and external reasons.

What is NOT an EV fire?

1. A hybrid vehicle fire is not an EV fire. Even if the hybrid battery explode in a thermal runaway,  it is still not an EV fire.

2. Electric motorcycles, scooters,  bicycles are not counted as EV fires.

3. Electric busses, vans and boats are not counted as EV fires.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

- An EV fire is a fire in an EV, whether caused by technical fault, charging, accident, arson, internal and external reasons.

What is NOT an EV fire?

1. A hybrid vehicle fire is not an EV fire. Even if the hybrid battery explode in a thermal runaway,  it is still not an EV fire.

Tis but a minor issue, just wash it and drive it away

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

What is NOT an EV fire?

That sucks ... nice boomers though, for us fireworks fans.

Need to unlock your BYD Fire thread

Why do I have this image of all the EV Haters jumping & cheering as if their team has just won the 'World Cup'

Edited by KhunLA
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

What is NOT an EV fire?

Yes, but this only happens on Chinese New Year...

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

What is NOT an EV fire?

Congrats - you finally got one!! Must be a good start to your week!

Aion Y Plus? The bloke on the video says Neta but those lights don't look like a Neta.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, josephbloggs said:

Congrats - you finally got one!! Must be a good start to your week!

Aion Y Plus? The bloke on the video says Neta but those lights don't look like a Neta.

I don't think it's an Aion Y Plus from looking at Aion images especially the front end....does an Aion have a light bar that goes all the way across the front like in the image along with a little dip of the light in the middle....maybe it does...I'm not sure?    

Also, the car in the video is on the right side of the road...like maybe in a right hand drive country.  But hey, some Thais drive/park in any direction on any side of the road.

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pib said:

I don't think it's an Aion Y Plus front looking at Aion images especially the front end.   

Also, the car in the video is on the right side of the road...like maybe in a right hand drive country).  But hey, some Thais drive/park in any direction on any side of the road.

Pib has a sharp eye 👁 for details. There are two true 👍 statements in the above post.  Time to complete the puzzle.

The V in the center of the car 🚗 might be a hint.

16 minutes ago, Pib said:

I don't think it's an Aion Y Plus from looking at Aion images especially the front end....does an Aion have a light bar that goes all the way across the front like in the image along with a little dip of the light in the middle....maybe it does...I'm not sure?    

Also, the car in the video is on the right side of the road...like maybe in a right hand drive country.  But hey, some Thais drive/park in any direction on any side of the road.

Looks like a Vinfast.

• Like 1

EOW,

Where did you get the EV fire video?  Got a link? 

It may help determine what the car is....where it occurred....then again maybe you already know?

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Pib said:

EOW,

Where did you get the EV fire video?  Got a link? 

It may help determine what the car is....where it occurred....then again maybe you already know?

Most likely to be Vietnam.

Vinfast are horrible cars, really ugly.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Pib said:

You're right, I thought maybe the light bar was an aftermarket addition, but Gweiloman is right - it's a Vinfast. And I will say that's in Laos: the guy is speaking Laos, not Thai.

So there you go EOW - it's a Vinfast and it is in Laos.

JB is also right that they are horrid, ugly, cheaply built things and I wouldn't buy one in a million years.

Oh, and Vinfast never crossed my mind as this is EVs in Thailand and they are not on the road here yet. But I have seen them in Laos. So sorry EOW, you lose the point I gave you earlier.

Edited by josephbloggs
  • Haha 1