Electric Vehicles in Thailand

On 8/7/2024 at 10:32 AM, Pib said:

That is a sweet deal.  Maybe BYD will do the same to remain competitive and calm down some past customers who bought before BYD's BIG price cutting began in late 2023.  But I'm not holding my breath.

BeYond Discount still have room left to reduce pricing and demolish the Thai car market.

FB_IMG_1722934993506.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, mistral53 said:

Surprisingly - no ADAS, not even ACC, makes it a real entry level vehicle. The problem with this approach is, it will by definition not achieve a 5 star safety rating. BYD has at times a rather arcane marketing approach.

Depends how much the cut the price.  I disabled the ADAS, as simply annoying when driving.  Constant steering adjustment and warnings.

ACC ... seem to not use it nearly as much, so no loss either.   As rarely an open stretch of road here that I don't need to touch the brakes when using.   Along with it disengages the regen, so would rather use that for slowing down.  ACC off, I rarely touch the brakes.

I does help me keep at the speed limit, when traffic is moving fast, as I'll catch myself exceeding the speed limit quite often.  Not good with the proliferation of speed cameras, and actually surprised I haven't been cited on last few O&A.

Most people knocking around town really don't need either.  Maybe if you're a total airhead.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Depends how much the cut the price.  I disabled the ADAS, as simply annoying when driving.  Constant steering adjustment and warnings.

ACC ... seem to not use it nearly as much, so no loss either.   As rarely an open stretch of road here that I don't need to touch the brakes when using.   Along with it disengages the regen, so would rather use that for slowing down.  ACC off, I rarely touch the brakes.

I does help me keep at the speed limit, when traffic is moving fast, as I'll catch myself exceeding the speed limit quite often.  Not good with the proliferation of speed cameras, and actually surprised I haven't been cited on last few O&A.

Most people knocking around town really don't need either.  Maybe if you're a total airhead.

Count me in.....total airhead here checking in  :crazy:

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, mistral53 said:

Count me in.....total airhead here checking in  :crazy:

The cameras are nice when parking, or leaving a parking spot, though not sure if that is completely integrated on the SeaLion's ADAS system.

We still have our 360° view on the MG ZS even though the ADAS is disabled.

On 8/7/2024 at 10:10 AM, KhunLA said:

And MG just extended their 8 yr / 180k kms battery warranty to lifetime on 4 selected BEV models.   Doesn't get much better than that.

ICEV ... :cheesy:

Am keen on a Cyberster, lifetime warranty on battery would seal the deal for me.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, JBChiangRai said:

I just canceled my long-time order for one ("Prestige" with 100k discount).

Because..

(a) the battery is not LFP, and

(b) I have no confidence it won't be 25% cheaper in a year.

I asked for 12 months price protection and they refused, I offered to sign an NDA too.

I hope you did not call it a legal expense... 

• Haha 1

Just now, Yellowtail said:

Did you make a deposit? I thought you passed on it. 

I made 2 deposits, one to the dealer in February 2023 before reservation opened, and another in late 2023 when MG Thailand started the "Prestige Reservation".

Just now, JBChiangRai said:

I made 2 deposits, one to the dealer in February 2023 before reservation opened, and another in late 2023 when MG Thailand started the "Prestige Reservation".

You should ask for your money back if you cancelled the order...

• Confused 1

22 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

You should ask for your money back if you cancelled the order...

They said they are refunding me sometime in the next 30 days.  10,000 THB from MG Thailand and 5,000 from MG Lanna Chiang Rai.

I could live with the battery being NMC but right now I don't have any confidence in the pricing over the next 12 months or so.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

37 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Can we ask California Fitness?

Ohh, wait they went out of business.  Maybe MG is heading that way also.

I think I liked it better when I ignored your postings ... :coffee1:

image.png.c06b653fa3535f57c9b2be0610e36447.png

image.png.8df9f0f603c81cdfb09529fff1e9b027.png

image.png.3b82d721915e033f1d02e2f978d1b257.png

Think BYD will take that crown this year :coffee1:

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fruit Trader said:

A lifetime warranty is a period set by the manufacturer with conditions attached.

Some examples :-

High quality hand tool - no time limit.

Power tool - 5 years.

Irish cooking stove - 100 years. 

Chinese EV - see clairvoyant. 

What Is a Lifetime Warranty? 3 Definitions

A lifetime warranty is a guarantee from the manufacturer or service provider that the product will be free from defects in materials and/or workmanship for a specified "lifetime" period.

Lifetime may mean:

1)As long as the product is on the market. In these cases, the company will guarantee the product unless it is discontinued.

3)As long as the original owner owns the product. In this case, the company does not allow you to transfer the warranty to a new owner.

3)For the duration of the product's intended lifespan. In this case, the company will guarantee the product for a specified "lifespan". 20-30 years,

Reading and understanding the T&C is important on products that offer a "Lifetime Warranty"

47 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

How can I shorten the lifetime or an anti-EV troll?

You could be helpful as let everyone know since you placed a deposit on a MG  Cyberster and I know you would have fully researched the  vehicle which of the  Lifetime Warranty? 3 Definitions applied to MG

10 hours ago, vinny41 said:

What Is a Lifetime Warranty? 3 Definitions

A lifetime warranty is a guarantee from the manufacturer or service provider that the product will be free from defects in materials and/or workmanship for a specified "lifetime" period.

Lifetime may mean:

1)As long as the product is on the market. In these cases, the company will guarantee the product unless it is discontinued.

3)As long as the original owner owns the product. In this case, the company does not allow you to transfer the warranty to a new owner.

3)For the duration of the product's intended lifespan. In this case, the company will guarantee the product for a specified "lifespan". 20-30 years,

Reading and understanding the T&C is important on products that offer a "Lifetime Warranty"

@vinny41, do you have the details, terms & conditions of the "lifetime" battery guarantee MG announced last month?

• Confused 1

18 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

I could live with the battery being NMC but right now I don't have any confidence in the pricing over the next 12 months or so

I agree since mg battery is lifetime warranty. Yeah ev pricing is challenging.

Would phev ( BYD sealion 7) also experience the same pricing decline in the future?

Does phev even make sense with regards to fuel effiency , heavier car and also still running gasoline?

29 minutes ago, Alotoftravel said:

I agree since mg battery is lifetime warranty. Yeah ev pricing is challenging.

Would phev ( BYD sealion 7) also experience the same pricing decline in the future?

Does phev even make sense with regards to fuel effiency , heavier car and also still running gasoline?

I would like to see the terms of the battery warranty, I'm sure the devil is in the detail.

I think all the Chinese manufacturers could drop the prices 10-20% if they wanted to.

I think the main advantage of PHEV is to give ICE drivers the confidence to move to EV later.  If I was regularly driving long distances, I would probably buy another PHEV.  I had the Mercedes E class  PHEV in 2018 and liked it a lot.  I think the range is 4 times longer now, I could only get 19km then.

The furthest I generally drive is Chiang Mai and I don't need to charge at all.  I've been to Kamphaeng Phet and I can just about make that without charging, or one short break for a coffee.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Fruit Trader said:

@vinny41 suggested someone read the terms and conditions of MG lifetime warranties but it would seem some here prefer to have valid suggestions or questions like these flagged as troll posts. This of course only confirms what's already been said about the sensitive monitors of this topic.

I too would like to read the conditions attached to this amazing lifetime warranty.  A search reveals lots of excited media people repeating the same MG announcement but no one revealing the important detail.

Is this a one million kilometre battery and motor warranty? If so what are the conditions.

If actually interested in buying an EV or MG, I would assume said customer would actually enter a dealer & ask.

Goes for all and any warranty for any vehicle.  I know I have and do, and know exactly what is covered or not before buying.

That uncommon common sense of better research = happy customer.

6 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

If actually interested in buying an EV or MG, I would assume said customer would actually enter a dealer & ask.

Goes for all and any warranty for any vehicle.  I know I have and do, and know exactly what is covered or not before buying.

That uncommon common sense of better research = happy customer.

What the dealer says is largely meaningless. What is written in the manufacturer's warranty is all that matters. 

• Agree 2

27 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

I think the main advantage of PHEV is to give ICE drivers the confidence to move to EV later.  If I was regularly driving long distances, I would probably buy another PHEV.  I had the Mercedes E class  PHEV in 2018 and liked it a lot.  I think the range is 4 times longer now, I could only get 19km then.

The furthest I generally drive is Chiang Mai and I don't need to charge at all.  I've been to Kamphaeng Phet and I can just about make that without charging, or one short break for a coffee

since I live in a condo with no home charging , phev might be preferable over an ev . With sea lion 6 previous , another to decide .

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

@vinny41, do you have the details, terms & conditions of the "lifetime" battery guarantee MG announced last month?

No I don't , I thought someone on this forum might have since MG did apply the "lifetime warranty" to existing owners of certain models

i am aware that Nissan USA is having problems sourcing some EV batteries where owners are being advised that they may need to wait for up to 12 months while Nissan tries to obtain the battery or Nissan has offered buyback offers which seem to be very generous where the buyback offer has been higher than the original net payment paid by the owner

• Like 1

This was from Rever website yesterday

Details of BYD SEALION 6 DM-i car quality guarantee conditions

Car quality warranty for 6 years or 150,000 km. Depends on how far I will go first.

1. It is a vehicle quality warranty as specified in the warranty manual and maintenance records for a period of 6 years or 150,000 kilometers, whichever distance comes first.

2. Any damage or failure resulting from failure to perform scheduled preventive maintenance specified in the Vehicle Owners Manual or improper maintenance is not subject to warranty.

3. Car Quality Warranty Excludes Drive System, Whole Car Lights, Tire Pressure Monitoring Modules, Suspension System, Bullets, Multimedia System, Shock Up, Dust Tires, Bush or Gasket, Bearings, Wheel Bearing, PM2.5 Gauge, AC/DC Charging Port Assembly, USB Charging Ports, Lead Acid Battery (12V), Air Conditioning Filter (Air Filter, High Performance Filter, and Static Filter), Button, Brake Pads, Clutch Pads, Car Tires, Wiper Set. Light bulb, fuse, normal relay (built-in control kit not included), various oils, chargers, benefits, freebies and coolants.

https://www.facebook.com/headlightmag

Due to many people being confused by Number 3 they have updated the details showing the warranty periods with km limits

https://www.reverautomotive.com/news/byd-sealion-6-dm-i

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

What the dealer says is largely meaningless. What is written in the manufacturer's warranty is all that matters. 

Only an idiot goes by what the salesperson says.  Depends how much I'm spending, but I want to see it in writing if I can dispose of it without regret.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, vinny41 said:

Nissan has offered buyback offers which seem to be very generous where the buyback offer has been higher than the original net payment paid by the owner

If you buy another POS of Nssan's, I believe comes along with that nice buyback.   Lot of that buyback revolved around the POS Leaf from days past.

Kudos for them acknowledging their POS, and at least trying to compensate folks.  Better than most auto makers 👍👍