Electric Vehicles in Thailand

2 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

A Zeekr in the wild.

20240827_143806.jpg

i wasn't so impressed by the zekkr x compared to the zekkr 007. the interior of the zekkr 007 really feels

like a high-end premium car! but the top model is the zekkr 001! i've heard rumors that the new version

will be available in thailand next year ... estimated price for the top specs will be for sure over 2 million ...

zekkr 007

zeekr007.jpg.e67c70c4e46f042fea7c47116916c35d.jpg

zekkr 001

zekkr001.png.fc54aacd5bfbd4e425cfbfad553bdc86.png

https://www.zeekr.eu/models/001

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

This is quite a good article on whether hybrid is worth the extra initial cost. 

https://www.drive.com.au/caradvice/are-hybrids-worth-the-extra-money-heres-the-truth/

It can take over 8 years to get your money back if you do more highway driving 

IMG_6883.jpeg.87d291d43c83e293050e2600adf224a9.jpeg

A hybrid in Australia 🇦🇺 is now relevant to EVs in Thailand....got it!

Anyway, hybrids are taxed lower in Thailand than ICE cars, so you get more and pay less.

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Apparently you think exploiting poor people in Congo to dig up the materials to make your EV is "good for the planet". That's not being woke, that is rather horrible.

So you'll be throwing all you electronics away that have batteries.  My BEV doesn't use cobalt, so I'll keep it.

Old tech batteries are only bad for the planet if used in EVs.   Fine for anything that you use :coffee1:

image.png.f0040ddcb113617c6020f5d399aef056.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Confused 1

37 minutes ago, Classic Ray said:

Has anyone done a comparison of the available makes/models secondhand values? 

I would like to see what you can get selling one, or purchasing one on the secondhand market before considering a purchase.

I did an analysis on the MG ZS and they depreciated at the same rate. I sold a one year old MG EP+ and it depreciated exactly as you would expect a one year old car of any fuel type to do.

Checkout www.one2car.com and you'll find lots of cars to compare.

• Confused 1

44 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Why are EVs so ugly?

Kind of like the very streamlined look of EV.   Though all a bit similar looking, which really can't be helped if going for aerodynamics / less resistance.

Have noticed some of the ICEVs lately, trying to get noticed with their 'unique styling' ... yikes.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

Explain the science of how it can be better?

I already did.

Many hybrid systems will run the gas engine at a higher speed than needed, but one that's efficient, and use the extra power to run a motor-generator that can then feed power to the battery or directly to a traction motor. 

Yes, in the city the hybrid saves even more fuel, but the hybrid is more economical on long distances too: 

Take the 2025 Honda Civic Hybrid as an example; it uses the same 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine as the nonhybrid Civic but swaps in a hybrid transmission packing a pair of electric motors. The nonhybrid model's best fuel-economy ratings are 32 mpg in the city and 41 on the highway. Adding the hybrid gear raises both figures, which come in at 50 mpg in the city and 47 on the highway. So while the city number gets a bigger boost and surpasses the highway figure thanks to the hybrid system, the hybrid has a fuel-economy benefit regardless of where and how it's driven.

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a61730444/are-hybrids-good-for-long-distance-driving/

• Agree 1

37 minutes ago, Cameroni said:

I already did.

Many hybrid systems will run the gas engine at a higher speed than needed, but one that's efficient, and use the extra power to run a motor-generator that can then feed power to the battery or directly to a traction motor. 

Yes, in the city the hybrid saves even more fuel, but the hybrid is more economical on long distances too: 

Take the 2025 Honda Civic Hybrid as an example; it uses the same 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine as the nonhybrid Civic but swaps in a hybrid transmission packing a pair of electric motors. The nonhybrid model's best fuel-economy ratings are 32 mpg in the city and 41 on the highway. Adding the hybrid gear raises both figures, which come in at 50 mpg in the city and 47 on the highway. So while the city number gets a bigger boost and surpasses the highway figure thanks to the hybrid system, the hybrid has a fuel-economy benefit regardless of where and how it's driven.

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a61730444/are-hybrids-good-for-long-distance-driving/

From your link...

For starters, most hybrids have worse fuel economy at highway speeds than they do around town.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, JBChiangRai said:

Have you run out of factual information such that you needed to morph into a full -troll replete with kindergarten emoji's?

We all know humor and hangovers don't work well together, come back in the afternoon when u feel better.

I am a treasure trove of factual information.  What do you want to talk about? Hybrids in Australia 🇦🇺?

Anything, but EV fires 🔥 in China. We need to suppress the truth, if not the propaganda won't work 👍

11 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

You could be right in that woke people buy an EV to save the planet but what about us regular folks that bought EVs? What’s our reason? I can tell in my case, it’s not to save the planet but to save money.

I partially accept your supposition, but the real test will come when you try to sell it to buy a new one. Will you lose the cost of the first as no one wants to buy an EV with the cost of changing the battery.

I accept that will change once the makers realise their mistake and make that easier/ cheaper, but it's the first generation EVs that will be first to be put on the second hand market, if it even exists for EVs.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/301032605/no-one-wants-used-evs-making-new-ones-a-tougher-sell-too

The shift away from cars with dirty combustion engines is running into a new hurdle: Drivers don't want to buy used electric vehicles, and that's undermining the market for new ones, too.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/26/2024 at 9:31 PM, BKKBike09 said:

"EVs to the southwest, thousands of 'em" ..

The great EV car park off Highway 7 remains nicely filled. What is more curious is there's a little sign at the entrance saying "Thailand Warehouse 1112" (also in Thai and Chinese). The sign also has a very small logo for Nexpoint. Nexpoint is interesting because it's an EV commercial vehicle company. And if you really want to get into the weeds, one of the directors is Amorn Sapthaweekul, right hand man of Energy Absolute's Somphote Ahunai (but that's a whole other story). So are these another new brand about to hit the market? There seem to be several different models in the car park

image.thumb.jpeg.71b5fb181c4625918d901beacb1e55bd.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.0d3e944fc727400565fe7e4bfdf896e0.jpeg

Welcome back BB9. Exposure to the elements and sitting in the sun 🌞 for so long is that ... [sensor].... for these green vehicles or will they house [sensor]?

• Sad 1

it's clear that hybrid cars are more efficient than traditional gasoline vehicles.

however, i get the sense that for many buyers, a hybrid car is more of a "feel-good" purchase rather than a practical benefit.

do the advantages really outweigh the drawbacks, such as add maintenance costs, a higher price tag, the small battery being

constantly pushed to its limits, limited benefits at higher speeds, and so on?

nowadays, there are plug-in hybrid electric vehicles (phevs) with very good range and also many affordable fully electric cars.

personally, a hybrid would be the last thing i'd spend extra money on because, it just doesn't make sense ...

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

From your link...

For starters, most hybrids have worse fuel economy at highway speeds than they do around town.

And from the same link:

Even though hybrids thrive in city driving, it's not all bad news on the highway. In general, hybrid systems provide a fuel-economy boost in steady-state, high-speed driving as well.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, motdaeng said:

it's clear that hybrid cars are more efficient than traditional gasoline vehicles.

however, i get the sense that for many buyers, a hybrid car is more of a "feel-good" purchase rather than a practical benefit.

do the advantages really outweigh the drawbacks, such as add maintenance costs, a higher price tag, the small battery being

constantly pushed to its limits, limited benefits at higher speeds, and so on?

nowadays, there are plug-in hybrid electric vehicles (phevs) with very good range and also many affordable fully electric cars.

personally, a hybrid would be the last thing i'd spend extra money on because, it just doesn't make sense ...

Well, your first sentence was correct. But of course the hybrid has real practical benefits, it's not a "feel good" purchase. The benefits are of course reduced fuel costs and avoiding the range anxiety which BEV drivers would have, because you can fuel up a hybrid at any petrol station. You can't do the same with a BEV. A hybrid makes a lot of sense for a lot of people, as the sales figures show.

• Agree 1

On 4/22/2022 at 11:14 AM, steve187 said:

i have been looking at a new suv, was thinking of hybrid, or ev, as the price of some brands have been reduced,

but ev's mg zs ev, havel, etc. are ok for short running about trips, but have a restricted distance, and no national network of charging ports, at home in some cases an extra electric metre is required, and for some households impossible to get a charging point fitted. condo's etc

hybrid nissan kicks, honda hrv etc. no problem with charging but, how good is the technology and is the increase mpg worth the possible future problems, 

in my mind the industry needs to improve as it will in the future, but for now buying maybe my last new car i think its worth sticking with the old reliable (not always), but been arounfd for a long time. so it ice for me

MG probably the Worst suspension I’ve ever been in it compares to a Fred Flintstone Car 

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

From your link...

15 minutes ago, Cameroni said:

And from the same link:

Even though hybrids thrive in city driving, it's not all bad news on the highway. In general, hybrid systems provide a fuel-economy boost in steady-state, high-speed driving as well.

I got it, most hybrids have worse fuel economy at highway speeds and hybrid systems provide a fuel-economy boost in steady state high-speed driving.

Clear as mud.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Irish star said:

MG probably the Worst suspension I’ve ever been in it compares to a Fred Flintstone Car 

What’s with these quotes from early 2022? Second one in as many days.

@Irish star please state the MG you’ve been in? So we all know what your talking about.

I have driven all the MG EVs sold in Thailand and not seen anything to complain about, particularly compared to some ice cars I’ve owned. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1