Electric Vehicles in Thailand

52 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Really ... and who would that be.   

If you can do all your local driving, and exploring on the battery of a PHEV, I'd consider that an EV.  If I had one, unless going O&A, non locally, I'd never need the ICE part, as everything needed is within 5 kms of house, and a radius of 35-50 kms would meet any thing else wanted.   And I live in Nakhon Nowhere compared to urban living.

Not so sure I'd consider the HEVs an EV, with their 1-3kWh battery.  

EVs in TH ... TH not even on you graph .. 🙄

Since the beginning of time only BEVs were considered EVs in Thailand 🇹🇭

I have a sneaking suspicion that it is hybrids excellent ability to burst into flames 🔥 that was the reason they were not initially associated with EVs.

You can contact @JBChiangRai,  he is the expert on inflated hybrid fire 🔥 data.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Since the beginning of time only BEVs were considered EVs in Thailand 🇹🇭

I have a sneaking suspicion that it is hybrids excellent ability to burst into flames 🔥 that was the reason they were not initially associated with EVs.

You can contact @JBChiangRai,  he is the expert on inflated hybrid fire 🔥 data.

When referencing fires, if not distinguishing between PHEV (very high #s) & BEV (rare), then it would be deceptive if simply taking the total.

They should also distinguish between ICEV fires, those reported stolen, vs simply parked by the owner or being driven at the time.   Many, (all probably) insurance claims of stolen auto that end in a fire, are probably purposely set.  Not fair to be lumped in with stats of auto fires.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

I admire your patience in responding to his trollish posts. Anyone who, lives in and drives around most of the major cities in Thailand can see more and more new EVs on the roads. Out of every 10 new vehicles I see in CM, I would say at least 2-3 are EVs.

EOW either doesn’t want to acknowledge that or like those who say that there isn’t a decent public charging network, they just can’t see what the real situation is.

Gman, nice to see you again. I do acknowledge that EV are selling like hot cakes in Thailand and that the Thai charcking infrastructure is more than adequate, actually it is world class and very impressive. 

My interest is where will it end, when the dust settled. The Chinese EV manufacturers are whining like babies while at the same time they are dumping prices out of desperation to sell their vehicles.  Something will eventually break.

I am all for honest and factual information and data. Cherry 🍒 picking and propaganda, not so much.

This is Central World today, you want to join and kick some tires?

20240914_174607.jpg

1 hour ago, DavisH said:

Have you got a solar system at home? How much was the installation? I haven't done that yet, but a quick browse saw numbers like 200K-500K baht for a solar system for the home. No EV yet, as I'm waiting to see what the future brings in terms of battery performance an lifespan. Solid state batteries are being developed and should give 1000km range. 

No, I don’t have a fully installed solar system at home yet. I’m planning to start with a small setup primarily to charge the EV, and gradually expand it by adding more panels later to support major power consumers like air conditioning units and water heaters.

You might want to PM KhunLA for an estimated price, as I understand he used a contractor for his solar installation and is more than willing to assist.

2 hours ago, DavisH said:

Have you got a solar system at home? How much was the installation? I haven't done that yet, but a quick browse saw numbers like 200K-500K baht for a solar system for the home. No EV yet, as I'm waiting to see what the future brings in terms of battery performance an lifespan. Solid state batteries are being developed and should give 1000km range. 

Check out @atpeace solar thread here

https://aseannow.com/topic/1335820-just-installed-77-kwpv-and-62-kw-inverter/

He mentions prices of B85K without Batteries and B130K with batteries

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, CapraIbex said:

Some posters may dismiss these concerns as FUD, but I’m not entirely convinced that the risks should be overlooked.

For the record, my next car will be an EV, charged by solar power. However, I plan to take additional safety precautions, such as parking it at a safe distance from my house.

From my profile pic you will see that I have solar and park very close to my house. 

I would recommend an LFP battery, I bought one from BYD with nearly 600km of range and fast 150kW charging 

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

21 minutes ago, metisdead said:

An off topic post and a reply about EV fires in China have been removed as this topic is about:

Electric Vehicles in Thailand

There is no difference between EV's in Thailand and China.

Maybe this link is more appropriate

Edited by CapraIbex
added and appropriate link concerning battery fires in THAILAND
  • Agree 1

36 minutes ago, CapraIbex said:
45 minutes ago, metisdead said:

There is no difference between EV's in Thailand and China.

Maybe this link is more appropriate

There is already a discussion about EV fires, please use it if you don’t want to reply directly to the discussion that you quoted :offtopic:

Edited by Bandersnatch
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/21/2022 at 9:33 AM, Bandersnatch said:

This is a discussion about EVs available or coming to Thailand.

Oh, but let's definitely not talk about the core of the vehicle—you know, the thing that actually powers everything and moves it from point A to point B—because that’s totally off-topic. I guess next we'll have separate threads for the windscreen wipers and the door handles, right?

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, CapraIbex said:

Oh, but let's definitely not talk about the core of the vehicle—you know, the thing that actually powers everything and moves it from point A to point B—because that’s totally off-topic. I guess next we'll have separate threads for the windscreen wipers and the door handles, right?

Can I have some of what you're smoking?

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

Trolls regularly join this discussion and try to hijack it by turning it into a discussion about EV fires or some rumor about something that might have happened to a possible EV in China.

My experience is that such trolls are generally poorly informed about the facts about EVs and just believe the disinformation produced by the fossil fuel industry, legacy automakers and far right conspiracy nuts without question.

After over 8.5k posts here we are pretty bored trying to talk sense into these people. 

There is a discussion for EV v ICE cars.

There is a discussion for EV and ICE car fires.

There is a discussion about why all Chinese cars are rubbish.

If that’s what you want to talk about, please join one of those discussions.

If you have a sensible question about EVs in Thailand then ask it here, otherwise you will quickly find yourself being ignored. 

I didn’t troll, ask a question, or make an uninformed comment about EV batteries. I raised a legitimate safety concern that Thailand is certainly not immune to. Yet here you are, letting your arrogance shine through once again. Honestly, what kind of mature person calls for a moderator to remove a post about a serious safety issue? It’s mind-boggling.
I see here endless debates over sales figures—'Your numbers don't match mine!'—or the riveting discovery that 'Oh, you must've sourced those from somewhere else.' Then there’s the constant tallying of EV charging stations, plus enough EV ads to make you wonder if some posters are secretly on a corporate payroll. But somehow, discussing EV batteries is off-limits. And let’s not forget the chest-thumping: 'I used to have two Porsches,' 'a massive Mercedes,' or 'I own multiple EVs, so clearly they’re the best!'—all perfectly on-topic, naturally.

• Confused 2
  • Agree 2

59 minutes ago, CapraIbex said:

I see here endless debates over sales figures—'Your numbers don't match mine!'—or the riveting discovery that 'Oh, you must've sourced those from somewhere else.

on this point, i do agree with you ... i also love numbers but it has his limits ... but some members seems to be obsessed with numbers :smile:

Edited by motdaeng
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

@ExpatOilWorker you posted a "confused" emoji, what is it that confuses you, I will be glad to explain it to you?

51 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

Even then, I doubt he would understand, given his past record.

He probably thinks plastering confused emoji's on all my posts makes him look intelligent.

What do you think?

Cue: confused emoji

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1