Electric Vehicles in Thailand

im seeing a lot of ev infrastructure being built, even condos have ev chargers now

me personally I wouldn't get an EV (car) but an EV motorbike, maybe, the new Niu motorbikes go 100km/h, have removable batteries, and cost the same as gas motorbikes

Edited by dj230
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

And what is your ev car's residual value at age 8 years when the expensive battery needs replacing.

the battery does not need to be replaced after 8 years (end of warranty).

the capacity of the battery will be reduced ... some good informations can

be found on the internet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Seem to be covering the same ground again and again.

Batteries:

My EV is an MG and I have owned it in Thailand for over a year. During that time the battery pack has lost 1km or range. 

MG Battery packs are made up of battery modules. A failure in one module means that only that module needs to be replaced not the whole pack.  

1340659167_BatteryModules.thumb.jpg.6708a5d3d0c1f277ce17e7d9202f2918.jpg

1822032585_BatteryModules2.thumb.jpg.62d8a3343f18c09aa24490fe47ebdd76.jpg

• Thanks 2

Battery Life and resale value of EVs

If batteries die after their 8 year warranty why are 11 year old Nissan Leafs selling like hot cakes for £8,000 in the UK?

On 6/9/2022 at 2:00 PM, Bandersnatch said:

MGs come with an 8 year battery warranty and second hand models seem to hold their value but are only 3 years old.

4177EB2C-BB11-4243-A93E-5512A01504D1.jpeg.52efac96be3c68ade49ed34a11338b55.jpeg

Older EVs in the UK and US are selling for what they cost new

0DF9C36E-1E9A-421F-93DD-7D5736689683.thumb.jpeg.930864623df9c45a6069e3ac13f14164.jpeg

26074F90-616D-45DC-AC51-3F7EABAE3D56.jpeg.b82d3c68688735501b009cee0055d8de.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Charging Speed:

On 6/9/2022 at 7:32 AM, Bandersnatch said:

MG fast DC charges charge at 94 kW DC adding 410km/hour so a 22 minute charge adds 150km of range. Tesla charge at twice that rate with some cars charging at three times.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

Charging Speed:

This will only increase over time - I think for most an EV is a more than acceptable second car and very probably a useful daily. That said the convenience of gasoline/diesel refueling locations & times is a huge point of difference. 

21 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

Batteries:

My EV is an MG and I have owned it in Thailand for over a year. During that time the battery pack has lost 1km or range. 

MG Battery packs are made up of battery modules. A failure in one module means that only that module needs to be replaced not the whole pack.  

The car has to be dismantled to find out which cell or cells has packed up, a very expensive job if outside of warranty, like I reckoned earlier, a 6 year old EV will probably not be worth much second hand, as the battery life is coming to an end, whereas a petrol or diesel ride will still have good second hand value to help out with a new car purchase..

Here is a vid of that job on an MG in English, it clearly shows that it is not a job for the handyman, but interesting all the same....????

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Tuvoc said:

how are Condo owners going to home-charge

Thailand is about 5 years behind where Europe is with regard to EVs. Overnight 3 and 7kW charging (destination charging) will become more common here as they are in Europe.

1016813806_Streetcharging.thumb.jpg.9ff6aef09d2527d28719c5b74fc313bd.jpg

1414780011_condocharging.thumb.jpg.26df3fb7d07c3e8f51db6a38a8744103.jpg

I own condos in the UK and will be installing EV charging when I get a rental void. The UK is now offering £300 grant for landlords to install charging for tenants.

15 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

Battery Life and resale value of EVs

If batteries die after their 8 year warranty why are 11 year old Nissan Leafs selling like hot cakes for £8,000 in the UK?

I thought we were not to mention outside of Thailand, your rules. ????

Folk who buy them are taking a gamble at that age, perhaps not knowing the battery replacement costs. ????

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I personally have no desire to be on the road more than, 300 kms / 4 hrs a day, so topping up isn't much of a inconvenience vs baht saved.  If I am, then that 30-60 minute stop will be very welcomed.

The ICE will be gone after the EV arrives, as having no real practical use for it afterwards.

I have no desire, but I have the need quite often - further more getting my wife to even put fuel in the car is hard enough let alone consider being organised enough to charge ????

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, eezergood said:

I have no desire, but I have the need quite often - further more getting my wife to even put fuel in the car is hard enough let alone consider being organised enough to charge ????

I hear you, although I find plugging in the e-scooter, a lot more convenient than topping up the Honda Wave of days past.  Especially since the local PTT isn't on the way to anything, actually annoying unless going to Global House for some reason ... rare.

image.png.f79779d7dd73aff441c780adaa525cd3.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

On 6/12/2022 at 12:17 PM, Excel said:

Well that is certainly interesting stuff to counter my post. But I just did a search and unless I am wrong, not one of them are currently for sale in Thailand. Did I overlook something perhaps ?

The post of yours I was replying to wasn't talking about vehicles currently available in Thailand, it was one talking about the future availability and it made the general claim that "the electric commercial truck seems a long way off, apart from Tesla of course."

Which as I said, just isn't true.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

The post of yours I was replying to wasn't talking about vehicles currently available in Thailand, it was one talking about the future availability and it made the general claim that "the electric commercial truck seems a long way off, apart from Tesla of course."

Well haven't you contradicted yourself there ?  How far is future availability, 1 year 5 years 10 or 20 ? Unless you can show something to the contrary that indicates when they will be on general sale in Thailand I prefer to believe that for electric trucks it is still a long way off and I consider that to be longer than 13 years for them to be on sale as commonly as ICE trucks are now. Which as I initially said will not meet the 2035  EV deadline set by the government so hence I can see that date moving out.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Excel said:

Well haven't you contradicted yourself there ?  How far is future availability, 1 year 5 years 10 or 20 ? Unless you can show something to the contrary that indicates when they will be on general sale in Thailand I prefer to believe that for electric trucks it is still a long way off and I consider that to be longer than 13 years for them to be on sale as commonly as ICE trucks are now. Which as I initially said will not meet the 2035  EV deadline set by the government so hence I can see that date moving out.

Thailand already has EV trucks, you are digging yourself into a hole...????

Just now, transam said:

Thailand already has EV trucks, you are digging yourself into a hole...????

You are my son, please read out loud to yourself "I prefer to believe that for electric trucks it is still a long way off and I consider that to be longer than 13 years for them to be on sale as commonly as ICE trucks are now."  So that hole seems to be of your own making, yet again????

• Confused 1

36 minutes ago, Excel said:

You are my son, please read out loud to yourself "I prefer to believe that for electric trucks it is still a long way off and I consider that to be longer than 13 years for them to be on sale as commonly as ICE trucks are now."  So that hole seems to be of your own making, yet again????

They are on Thai roads NOW...What do you fail to understand...?

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Agree 100%, the Anti EV'ers just don't get it.

Everything seems a long ways off (well for the closed minded) ...

... until it's not.

Who ever thought you'd be able to buy any new MG in Thailand, ever ?

Or a MG 3 ... and yet

Or a MG SUV ... but OMG, there's another

Or a MG EV - hybrid or BEV ... and yet,

... keep telling me it's all a long ways off, again.

Tell me again how expensive they are.

Tell me again how there's no charging station network.

Tell me again, after the warranty, how the batteries are dead and car useless

Tell me again how it depreciates to 'worthless' in 10 yrs, but an ICE won't depreciate much.

Tell me again how little you understand about EVs.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Haha 1

On 4/22/2022 at 11:53 AM, buddy2010 said:

I had been seriously interested in an e-vehicle!

The problem is, for me anyway, that I am not allowed to install a wallbox in my condominium!
Neither in the underground parking nor outside!!!

Argument: Common Area, may not be used privately!

That 's probably a restriction that applies nearly worldwide.

1 hour ago, Excel said:

Not sure what you are on about. You were the one talking about future availability, not me. I was pointing out that there are plenty of commercial EV vehicles around already. Also, your post did not refer to vehicles "on general sale in Thailand", it simply made the statement that commercial electric vehicles seem a long way off, apart from Tesla. Which is incorrect.

But if you want to talk about right now in Thailand, other posters have already provided evidence of commercial vehicles that are available in the country already.

Given that current availability here and the fact that there are already multiple international manufacturers currently producing commercial EV's who will undoubtedly be happy to supply vehicles here if there's a demand, the idea that there wouldn't be enough available well over a decade from now, seems to strain the bounds of credulity, if you ask me.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Not sure what you are on about. You were the one talking about future availability, not me. I was pointing out that there are plenty of commercial EV vehicles around already. Also, your post did not refer to vehicles "on general sale in Thailand", it simply made the statement that commercial electric vehicles seem a long way off, apart from Tesla. Which is incorrect.

But if you want to talk about right now in Thailand, other posters have already provided evidence of commercial vehicles that are available in the country already.

Given that current availability here and the fact that there are already multiple international manufacturers currently producing commercial EV's who will undoubtedly be happy to supply vehicles here if there's a demand, the idea that there wouldn't be enough available well over a decade from now, seems to strain the bounds of credulity, if you ask me.

Well I am not asking you. This is a forum where we can give our opinions. As for your statement "Also, your post did not refer to vehicles "on general sale in Thailand"  what couldn't you understand about my statement I posted earlier that I said" I consider that to be longer than 13 years for them to be on sale as commonly as ICE trucks are now." ?   ???? but never mind, have a nice day

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, In Full Agreement said:

That 's probably a restriction that applies nearly worldwide.

Condo charging is not a thing yet in Thailand, but if it can be done elsewhere, then it can be done here. 

If the condo building can make money selling electricity at a premium to EV owners, then it will happen.

Installing a power outlet with RFID controlled access and back office recharging software would be the way to go. 

1414780011_condocharging.thumb.jpg.26df3fb7d07c3e8f51db6a38a8744103.jpg

Watched a few reviews from Thai YouTubers. Neta V as sole main car, I don't know?

Relatively small battery size and top speed capped at 110 km/h? Are they serious?

I'm really not driving fast, but IMO that is not fast enough to overtake some other cars or cruise on the motorway / expressway...

This however caught my attention. Made in China, so in theory it should be well-priced here due to no tax. Deducting the government incentives it could be around 1 million baht. Note that the mentioned price of 35.000 GBP is for top spec version of the Smart #1.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, CLW said:

Watched a few reviews from Thai YouTubers. Neta V as sole main car, I don't know?

Relatively small battery size and top speed capped at 110 km/h? Are they serious?

I'm really not driving fast, but IMO that is not fast enough to overtake some other cars or cruise on the motorway / expressway...

This however caught my attention. Made in China, so in theory it should be well-priced here due to no tax. Deducting the government incentives it could be around 1 million baht.

In Thailand, the price of the Neta V is ฿599,999 according to an earlier post on page 11.

Edited by macahoom
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, CLW said:

This however caught my attention. Made in China, so in theory it should be well-priced here due to no tax. Deducting the government incentives it could be around 1 million baht. Note that the mentioned price of 35.000 GBP is for top spec version of the Smart #1.

They already had a few local news-blip about it, and ฿699k w/฿120k incentive = ฿579k (older info)

or adjusted now, to that 600k ballpark.

ARUN+, I think, might be producing in Thailand, and that is 100% owned by PTT, so I wonder...

... PTT Park stations will likely be making the adjustment, so a line of EV chargers can be squeezed in there somewhere, until the switch to all EVs is complete.????

ARUN / PTT producing EVs ... no writing on the walls there ... ????

If translation & source is correct:

"(12 May 2022) Hozon Auto, the new electric car brand from China. Has signed a contract with ARUN+ (a company in which PTT owns 100%) by procuring ARUN+ to produce and assemble electric vehicles in Thailand, where Hozon will conduct another major distribution via Neta Auto (Thailand) Co., Ltd."

"– Maximum speed 110 – 120 KM/H (the system speed can be unlocked)"

https://thethaiger.com/th/news/570775/

https://autolifethailand.tv/neta-v-ev-full-electric-thailand-coming-may-2022/

Page 11 post ... click on Saturday at 1044

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CLW said:

If you hear any news of the Smart #1 coming to Thailand please post it here.

I agree the Neta V would not be my next car but it is cheap and good value. We needs EVs for every pocket.

The Neta S does look good but no current plans to bring it to Thailand

spacer.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bandersnatch said:

If you hear any news of the Smart #1 coming to Thailand please post it here.

I agree the Neta V would not be my next car but it is cheap and good value. We needs EVs for every pocket.

The Neta S does look good but no current plans to bring it to Thailand

spacer.png

I do like the looks of this one 

13 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

Batteries:

I am not sure how that reduced range works - my MG HS PHEV also went from 67 km range to 66 km after about one year, bu now after over 18 months its back up at 67...........go figure.

There is head-room on the battery, even when new I was never able to put in more than 13.5 kWh, so this could all just be a function of their BMS.

• Like 2