Electric Vehicles in Thailand

7 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Great competition for Fortuner, Pajero & MU7 ????

Yes indeed, and those manufacturers won't be sitting still either. In a couple of years time we will be looking to replace our Fortuner and I think there will be lots of options. Exciting times, as long as chip shortages etc don't curtail production too much.

14 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

H6 is quite the very nice looking SUV, and nice options for those wanting, needing the larger SUVs.  

A bit too large for myself also, as don't need or want to drive anything that large or look for parking spot to accommodate.  Spotted a couple locally and it is a very impressive looking vehicle, would make most very happy.

Great competition for Fortuner, Pajero & MU7 ????

The Jolion is very similar and only slightly smaller, saw them together at a mini motor show at my local mall, I have to look at the badge on the back to see if it’s a H6 or a Jolion when spotted alone ????

The use of 2 coloured interiors is a little strange at first but, like the MG, will get used to it in time I guess.

Particularly like the Jolion in white but not 100% sure of this

38856D20-ABF6-4B32-A5B8-0346C0F93D11.jpeg.f38868d0e71feffaac5a98905d6a5e27.jpeg 

Edited by Andrew Dwyer
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

Haval H6 PHEV (Plug-in Hybrid) launched soon – official price in Thailand will be announced August 2022 deliver to customers in October onwards.

https://autolifethailand.tv/haval-h6-phev-plug-in-hybrid-coming-soon-thailand-aug22/

haval_h6_phev_cover_update.jpg.ccdf44e4e046eafac23efb4a59e65c42.jpghaval_h6_phev_007.jpg.9b4ea8d3ca60f3fd4903a6b4a0197efa.jpghaval_h6_phev_008.jpg.357908ffaad1ea0336b2267081b11f6c.jpgHAVAL-H6-CENTER-DISPLAY_0003.jpg.aa17776832953e3b438a439280be3d79.jpgHaval_H6_interior_074.jpg.d8c4ac45821f96fc512275aa898963ef.jpgHaval_H6_interior_069.jpg.468a364ecca7c77b86dc54b94d181367.jpgHaval_H6_luggage_006.jpg.19238c6a733aae5b10d9103fe4c7f615.jpg

Great Wall Motor (GWM) Thailand officially launched the Haval H6 Hybrid on June 28, 2021, available in two sub-models, HEV Pro / HEV Ultra, priced between 1,149,000 – 1,249,000 baht Haval H6 HEV (Hybrid) uses a 1.6 kWh battery.

Haval H6 PHEV (Plug-in Hybrid)

Petrol engine DOHC 4-cylinder, direct injection, 1.5-liter, 1,499 cc., turbocharged, maximum power 150 horsepower; maximum torque  230 Nm 

Works with electric motor 177 hp, torque 300 Nm when the engine works with electric motor. Has a maximum power of 243 horsepower, 530 Nm, paired with a Dual Clutch automatic transmission, front-wheel drive. Battery size 34.6 kWh with plug-in charging system, Plug-in Hybrid , running in EV Mode, pure electric, distance up to 201 km. (NEDC standard)

Thanks for the link. Been waiting for this to be available so hopefully not too long to wait.

I've test driven both the H6 and the Jolion hybrids and they are both very impressive cars with great performance.

The H6 is the better looking imho although whether it's worth 200k bht more than the Jolion is debatable.

Hopefully the official price will be released soon and if it undercuts the new Outlander by a decent amount it will be a massive incentive to buy the H6 with it's much better battery range.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

The Jolion is very similar and only slightly smaller, saw them together at a mini motor show at my local mall, I have to look at the badge on the back to see if it’s a H6 or a Jolion when spotted alone ????

The use of 2 coloured interiors is a little strange at first but, like the MG, will get used to it in time I guess.

Particularly like the Jolion in white but not 100% sure of this

38856D20-ABF6-4B32-A5B8-0346C0F93D11.jpeg.f38868d0e71feffaac5a98905d6a5e27.jpeg 

Yes wifey and me liked the white one too and the white interior was nicer than the dark interior of the H6. I don't like the front end of the Jolion though, that of the H6 is much better imo.

• Like 1

On 7/11/2022 at 7:10 AM, Bandersnatch said:

Haval H6 PHEV (Plug-in Hybrid) launched soon – official price in Thailand will be announced August 2022 deliver to customers in October onwards.

https://autolifethailand.tv/haval-h6-phev-plug-in-hybrid-coming-soon-thailand-aug22/

haval_h6_phev_cover_update.jpg.ccdf44e4e046eafac23efb4a59e65c42.jpghaval_h6_phev_007.jpg.9b4ea8d3ca60f3fd4903a6b4a0197efa.jpghaval_h6_phev_008.jpg.357908ffaad1ea0336b2267081b11f6c.jpgHAVAL-H6-CENTER-DISPLAY_0003.jpg.aa17776832953e3b438a439280be3d79.jpgHaval_H6_interior_074.jpg.d8c4ac45821f96fc512275aa898963ef.jpgHaval_H6_interior_069.jpg.468a364ecca7c77b86dc54b94d181367.jpgHaval_H6_luggage_006.jpg.19238c6a733aae5b10d9103fe4c7f615.jpg

Great Wall Motor (GWM) Thailand officially launched the Haval H6 Hybrid on June 28, 2021, available in two sub-models, HEV Pro / HEV Ultra, priced between 1,149,000 – 1,249,000 baht Haval H6 HEV (Hybrid) uses a 1.6 kWh battery.

Haval H6 PHEV (Plug-in Hybrid)

Petrol engine DOHC 4-cylinder, direct injection, 1.5-liter, 1,499 cc., turbocharged, maximum power 150 horsepower; maximum torque  230 Nm 

Works with electric motor 177 hp, torque 300 Nm when the engine works with electric motor. Has a maximum power of 243 horsepower, 530 Nm, paired with a Dual Clutch automatic transmission, front-wheel drive. Battery size 34.6 kWh with plug-in charging system, Plug-in Hybrid , running in EV Mode, pure electric, distance up to 201 km. (NEDC standard)

The reason I think the Havel H6 PHEV is so significant is it’s battery capacity. 

Nissan LEAF's standard range model has a 40 kWh battery. The H6 PHEV has 34.6kWh and a 1.5L Turbo gasohol engine.

It really is a full EV for 90% of all journeys with a range extender for occasional longer trips. What’s not to like?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

The reason I think the Havel H6 PHEV is so significant is it’s battery capacity. 

Nissan LEAF's standard range model has a 40 kWh battery. The H6 PHEV has 34.6kWh and a 1.5L Turbo gasohol engine.

It really is a full EV for 90% of all journeys with a range extender for occasional longer trips. What’s not to like?

Yes, and it is a pretty damn nice looking motor too. 
The ideal situation for those who are on the fence about going fully EV and think PHEV is the ideal, current, situation, myself included.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Yes, and it is a pretty damn nice looking motor too. 
The ideal situation for those who are on the fence about going fully EV and think PHEV is the ideal, current, situation, myself included.

I’ve been waiting the past 2 months to be able to put in my order as it pretty much ticks all the boxes. I have had a Mazda 2 the past 4 years and it’s a fantastic car. Averages 20km/l and I’ve even driven it to Malaysia, before the pandemic. However, it’s just a tiny bit too small especially when I have to take my 4 dogs along. 
My only concern with the Haval would be it’s reliability. Apparently the engine setup is rather complex even though reviews about the current HEV model have  been mostly positive. 

• Like 2

As I have previously mentioned:

"Chinese EV manufacturer BYD is preparing to set up a new manufacturing plant in Thailand where it will make electric cars for right-hand-drive markets including the UK and Australia"

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/transport/thai-pm-promises-to-accelerate-thailands-electric-vehicle-future

One BYD car that is already available in RHD and being shipped to Australia and New Zealand is the BYD ATTO 3. It is a reasonable assumption that this will car will also be available in Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Only Chinese EV's on the last few pages, I just don't want one of those, period!

On below links, I think there is one from China but okay many of the brands showed are not even sold here.

I like the Volvo XC40 & C40, very good looking but 2.6 mill baht.

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/electric/top-gears-top-20-electric-cars

https://www.edmunds.com/electric-car/#luxury-electric-cars

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/best-cars/top-10-best-small-electric-cars

https://www.volvocars.com/en-th/cars/c40-electric/

28 minutes ago, guzzi850m2 said:

Only Chinese EV's on the last few pages, I just don't want one of those, period!

On below links, I think there is one from China but okay many of the brands showed are not even sold here.

I like the Volvo XC40 & C40, very good looking but 2.6 mill baht.

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/electric/top-gears-top-20-electric-cars

https://www.edmunds.com/electric-car/#luxury-electric-cars

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/best-cars/top-10-best-small-electric-cars

https://www.volvocars.com/en-th/cars/c40-electric/

Title is "EVs ... in ... Thailand"

So far just MGs and GWMs, are reasonably priced & readily available, sort of, if still available, won't arrive till year's end.  Most others are in the not so 'value' price range for many, IMHO

Hard to pay ฿2m for a Leaf, when you can have an MG for ฿771k.  Not like any EV is not going to have Chinese components & battery.  As do most vehicles.

Anyone thinking about the Volvo, do you research, saw a vid the other day, and 2 of theirs (90&60) made the 10 worst EVs list, from owner's reviews.  Don't think any available here though, or would be silly priced anyway:

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Title is "EVs ... in ... Thailand"

So far just MGs and GWMs, are reasonably priced & readily available, sort of, if still available, won't arrive till year's end.  Most others are in the not so 'value' price range for many, IMHO

Hard to pay ฿2m for a Leaf, when you can have an MG for ฿771k.  Not like any EV is not going to have Chinese components & battery.  As do most vehicles.

Anyone thinking about the Volvo, do you research, saw a vid the other day, and 2 of theirs (90&60) made the 10 worst EVs list, from owner's reviews.  Don't think any available here though, or would be silly priced anyway:

Oh yes, Volvo sells cars here, I see many and I posted a link in my post, another link below. 

Anyway, I will likely be looking at a hybrid of some sorts, as I need long range sometimes and don't want to charge in the middle of my trip(s).

https://www.volvocars.com/en-th/l/brochure/

• Like 2

2 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

If you look back to some of my earlier posts you will see BMW and Tesla will be selling EVs in Thailand they are made in China.  

• Like 1

GWM were at my local mall again today, asked a salesman when the H6 PHEV would be released.

” Next month “ he said, and how much I asked ?

” 1.8 million “ he replied , at my obvious surprise at 1.8 he then said “ 1.6 million “ !!

Not a lot of faith in this quote ????

• Like 1

21 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

I can understand your position.

Big difference between a Chinese made car and a car with Chinese made parts.

Supply chain issues with MG. People been waiting 3 months for spares.

Watching developments in China with regard to the real estate and housing markets make me very wary, and expect the fallout from such to effect all sectors of all the manufacturing industries as time goes on.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Boomer6969 said:

I could be  interested in any EV that has a home backup power capability, such as the Ford M150 Lightning.

V2H is not too common and actually not very straight forward.
https://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/f150-lightning/features/intelligent-backup-power/

V2L is included with the MG ZS EV, MG EP as well as new BYDs. 

I recently made a video on how V2L can feed into a solar inverter like a backup generator 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, KhunLA said:

End of the year ranking should be interesting ... "Just one week after the price was officially announced at the 43rd Bangkok International Motor Show, MG has seen 3,000 units being booked,” he said."

https://www.nationthailand.com/pr-news/specials/40014070

Agreed, figures are just for Vehicle registrations, once production ramps up we will see the numbers rise dramatically. 

24 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

Agreed, figures are just for Vehicle registrations, once production ramps up we will see the numbers rise dramatically. 

If memory serves, I think GWM had an allotment of 1500 units, Cats, and MG 1500 & 500, EPs & ZSs ... or something like that.

They're the < 1 mill baht ones,  BYD 1.4M, then the rest are 2-3-4-5-6+ million baht range

3 hours ago, vinny41 said:

Monthly registration figures from January - June 2022

There must be a supply chainparts  problem for some Brands

https://autolifethailand.tv/regis-sales-report-ev-bev-thailand-jun-22/

Not necessarily.  Could simply be, makers of aren't making until ordered.   Actually good business sense, considering most, if not all are coming from overseas.

That and the economy, many skeptical or ignorant of the practicality of owning (forum shows that).  Availability to charge at home, or even the need for a new car, after 2 years of stagnant economic growth.

More than a few, waiting to see what's around the corner, and waiting for newer tech & batteries to hit mass production.  Except for maybe BMW & Porsche, all the batteries are coming from China, so simple supply & demand, as they can only churn them out so fast for the world market.

Edited by KhunLA

16 hours ago, KhunLA said:

End of the year ranking should be interesting ... "Just one week after the price was officially announced at the 43rd Bangkok International Motor Show, MG has seen 3,000 units being booked,” he said."

https://www.nationthailand.com/pr-news/specials/40014070

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Not necessarily.  Could simply be, makers of aren't making until ordered.   Actually good business sense, considering most, if not all are coming from overseas.

That and the economy, many skeptical or ignorant of the practicality of owning (forum shows that).  Availability to charge at home, or even the need for a new car, after 2 years of stagnant economic growth.

More than a few, waiting to see what's around the corner, and waiting for newer tech & batteries to hit mass production.  Except for maybe BMW & Porsche, all the batteries are coming from China, so simple supply & demand, as they can only churn them out so fast for the world market.

You post doesn't make any sense , your 1st post indicates that MG took 3000 reservations at the Bangkok Motor show which was end of March 2022

So for the past 3 months Number of MG EP registrations stands at 200

for the number of MG ZS EV registrations currently stands at 32

Compared that to the numbers of Ora cat for the past 3 months number of registrations stands at 852

We know that 14th May 2022 MG announces closure of reservations for 100% electric vehicles, model NEW MG EP PLUS

As for this forum and comments made on this forum there isnt  a single automotive manufacturer that would operate a business just solely for the members of this forum it wouldn't be cost effective

number of members of this forum XXXX, Number of Thai population 70 million

Edited by vinny41
add
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

You post doesn't make any sense , your 1st post indicates that MG took 3000 reservations at the Bangkok Motor show which was end of March 2022

3000 reservations, but nothing states they were EVs, and highly doubtful they were.

News-blips that points that out:  "Traditional gas-powered vehicles had the lion’s share of the sales, while electric cars, or EVS, stole the spotlight among car enthusiasts. EV bookings grew by 10% to more than 2,000 vehicles, with SAIC Motor and MG registering the most orders, followed by Great Wall Motor, or GWM. A total of 1,500 sales were made between MG and GWM."

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/boost-in-car-sales-enthusiasm-for-evs-mark-bangkoks-annual-motor-show

"The present’s hottest EV fashions had been GWM’s Ora Good Cat, and MG’s MG EP and MG ZS EV, which racked up 1,520 orders collectively"

https://southeastasiantraveler.com/2022/04/06/boost-in-car-sales-enthusiasm-for-evs-bangkoks-annual-motor-show-video/

• Haha 1

If check out the MG zs ev Thailand facebook pages you may get the car that you ordered quicker than you expected as many people have posted that they have cancelled their reservations as when they ask questions on delivery dates  they received no response.

If you order a morgan car they clearly state on their website that typical waiting times are between 6 months and 12 months but any timeframe is better than no timeframe or no response to your queries

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

If check out the MG zs ev Thailand facebook pages you may get the car that you ordered quicker than you expected as many people have posted that they have cancelled their reservations as when they ask questions on delivery dates  they received no response.

If you order a morgan car they clearly state on their website that typical waiting times are between 6 months and 12 months but any timeframe is better than no timeframe or no response to your queries

We were simply told, within 6 months ... or ... you can cancel and not lose deposit, which was only 5k baht  anyway.

Read that page, and some are offered cancelled cars, but possibly not in the color they ordered.  Have no desire for a white or black car, and silver is the only other option.  Black, definitely NO, white ... maybe, need to see one up close, but means actually have to wash it every now & then ????

Red (have now) & blue, you can get away with less washing.  But not available in our model ordered, sadly.  Really like the red, blue also.  Not the biggest fan of silver but warming up to it.

https://www.mgcars.com/th/mg-models/new-mg-zs-ev/design

• Haha 1