Electric Vehicles in Thailand

2 hours ago, eezergood said:

I don't live in Bangkok - the fact that it is limited so low is the concern 

90 is speed limit for interprovincial highways. So what's the issue?

4 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

BYD has some very exciting cars coming out over the next few months, but one BYD that you can actually buy in Thailand currently is the e6. I was amazed to hear that the LFP blade battery comes with a 500,000km warranty: 

Love the design of the E6. Station wagon similar to MG EP but with fresher look imo.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, eezergood said:

Why are these limited to 100kmh? to artificially preserve battery life and integrity I'm assuiming.

Not that this is a race car, but there are times when above that speed is required. 

Watched a few YouTube videos about Neta that are not in Chinese. 

The speed limit depends on the driving mode and car settings. If I remember correctly it can be raised up to 130 by the driver or a short reprogramming at Neta dealer.

As I have replied to you, driving a lot of motorway, expressway or dual highways, I would be concerned. For interprovincial travel not so much. Anyway, this car is not designed for long-range. The battery too small IMO.

35 minutes ago, CLW said:

I've been driving 110-120 kph since they announced the 120 limit.  Original announcement that is.  Now that they defined it more, or I actually read it, but more importantly, they an now posting speed limit signs, they may start enforcing it.  90+ or 120+, which I've actually caught doing.

Which means back down to 90 kph, which will be an adjustment, and seem slow again when on the open road.  Good range wise with an EV, so not really a bad thing, and realistically, last time to Krung Thep, rough guess, if not dong the max, 120 when able, only adds 20-30 mins on top of the already 4 ish hr drive.  That's if half the way was allowed at 120, which it isn't.

90 vs 120, isn't much of an issue, if wanting to avoid camera citations, or stretch your EV range.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, eezergood said:

Why are these limited to 100kmh? to artificially preserve battery life and integrity I'm assuiming.

Not that this is a race car, but there are times when above that speed is required. 

They do quote the 0-100km time, but I think the top speed is 120

F9A9B39A-F99F-4DFB-A681-12133706D23C.jpeg.ad8bac2943484f3d32b632e18995e200.jpeg

Edited by Bandersnatch

On 7/2/2022 at 1:59 PM, CLW said:

Not on all of them any more. When traveling  on highway 4 north from Hua Hin for instance, there are several sections with 120 kph speed limit (and minimum 100 in the outside lane).

And if I recall correctly, there are some more on the 35 heading into Bangkok. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Not on all of them any more. When traveling  on highway 4 north from Hua Hin for instance, there are several sections with 120 kph speed limit (and minimum 100 in the outside lane).

Drove to Krung Thep from Muang PK, last week, and a few sections were already posted @ 120,  Actually may have been first time I've seen the 120 sings.  Hwy #4 & #35  

Not sure about hwy #37, kind a forget if it was.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Yup, my route to the airport ( 80km ) 32, 9 and 7 is 120 km all the way, also passing through 3 different provinces.

Going North on the 32 the majority of the 150 km is now 120 max 100 min and passing 4 provinces .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eezergood said:

I look forward to one of our members driving one & sharing some real feedback

Don't worry, I'll boreA$$ the hell out of y'all after it arrives ... ????  Surely keeping close track of first 5k kms; around town at NEDC/WTLP speeds, and popping up to Hua Hin, down to Ban Krut as 90 kph testers, maybe 120.

See if that 40% use (40-80% ) around town gives those rated ranges.  Keeping at 40-80% for long battery life.

Arrive hopefully before Xmas ????

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

On 7/2/2022 at 2:04 PM, CLW said:

Watched a few YouTube videos about Neta that are not in Chinese. The speed limit depends on the driving mode and car settings. If I remember correctly it can be raised up to 130 by the driver or a short reprogramming at Neta dealer.

I've seen articles that seem to imply the 100 km/h limit is only for vehicles sold in China. The image posted by @Bandersnatch above clearly states a top speed of 120 km/h, not 100, as well.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

I've seen articles that seem to imply the 100 km/h limit is only for vehicles sold in China. The image posted by @Bandersnatch above clearly states a top speed of 120 km/h, not 100, as well.

Yes I saw that also, perhaps this was the China model as you mention. 

18 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Don't worry, I'll boreA$$ the hell out of y'all after it arrives ... ????  Surely keeping close track of first 5k kms; around town at NEDC/WTLP speeds, and popping up to Hua Hin, down to Ban Krut as 90 kph testers, maybe 120.

See if that 40% use (40-80% ) around town gives those rated ranges.  Keeping at 40-80% for long battery life.

Arrive hopefully before Xmas ????

Did you test drive?

12 minutes ago, eezergood said:

Did you test drive?

No, haven't test drove any EV (car).  Buying the EV version of our present car, which we quite like, MG ZS.  Only difference the specs are telling me, is we'll have more torque, that we already don't need, and some electronic safety features, .  Not expecting any surprises.

Had one available to test drive, I just didn't bother.  Other real option for us was the MG EP, which the wife didn't care for.  GWM's Ora Good Cat, scratched due to no local dealership and unfamiliar with them.  Going to stick with what we know & like already.

Nothing else really interested us.  Kind of like the tinker cars, but they're a bit silly priced for the specs.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, eezergood said:

I would defiantly take the ZS or EP ( mini SUV/ Estate thingy) but very interested to see how this NETA actually looks/feels as one or two of the YouTube reviews make them look very very cheapo plastic inside......

You may have to wait until next year for the EP Plus

MG announces the closure of reservations for a 100% electric vehicle model NEW MG EP PLUS

14 May 2022

https://www.mgcars.com/th/NewsActivities/Detail/MG-EP-PLUS

• Like 1

Are there any electric pickups (trucks / UTEs) coming to the Thai market soon?

Alternatively, are there similar car like the Suzuki Carry with electric drivetrain?

Least choice, an electric trike? I think I've seen them on sale here already.

Background is a planned mobile sales truck purchase, of which a full size car as a pickup would be the most comfortable and safest version. Suzuki Carry is too much tin on wheels. No ABS, airbag, crash zone etc. Same goes for a trike obviously.

2 hours ago, CLW said:

Are there any electric pickups (trucks / UTEs) coming to the Thai market soon?

Alternatively, are there similar car like the Suzuki Carry with electric drivetrain?

Least choice, an electric trike? I think I've seen them on sale here already.

Background is a planned mobile sales truck purchase, of which a full size car as a pickup would be the most comfortable and safest version. Suzuki Carry is too much tin on wheels. No ABS, airbag, crash zone etc. Same goes for a trike obviously.

Have you considered the BYD T3 mini van - under ฿1,000,000

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

Have you considered the BYD T3 mini van - under ฿1,000,000

Looks interesting, but will it be available in Thailand and when is the question 

6 minutes ago, CLW said:

Looks interesting, but will it be available in Thailand and when is the question 

When I spoke to BYD at the Korat EV show recently they gave me the impression that both the T3 and e6 are available to buy now,  I think as they are considering commercial vehicles.

https://www.byd-thailand.com/product/byd-t3/

• Like 1

MG launches Modular Scalable Platform for ground up EVs which will make EVs cheaper to manufacture and will facilitate quicker launching of new models known as BORN Electric. Battery integrated into vehicle body structure. Flexible; modular; scalable.

• Like 1

MG UK has just announced that the RHD version of the MG4 will be launching in the UK in September of this year

The MG4 is the first car to use the new modular platform. Initially launched in rear wheel drive with 50-50 weight distribution
and available with 51-64kWh batteries giving a range of 218-281miles range on the WLTP cycle

The new architecture allows integration with future technologies like battery swap systems

Prices and full specifications will be announced soon. I spoke to my local MG dealer yesterday and they knew about the car but didn't have any information about the Thailand launch date. I am quite hopeful that this car will come to Thailand as it is already in RHD, unlike the MG Marvel R. 

636895433_MG41.thumb.jpg.146b3295a9a9987c794792558e12478f.jpgMG4_EV_gallery2.jpg.4dd26aba6efa3d34d98aa485f0ccb146.jpgMG4_EV_gallery3.jpg.41314c125f923a1f589faf3c6b4d8b1c.jpgMG4_EV_gallery4.jpg.704e46057fc595a76fd41f2bfd16171e.jpgMG4_EV_gallery5.jpg.95928bed42e874a564f5b9f19b8d1c2c.jpgMG4_EV_gallery6.jpg.0acc3d1eb9490d9e246f8254ab2601cc.jpgMG4_EV_gallery7.jpg.9a23589f8d048b4b7d8172480dd440c9.jpg

• Like 1

Very nice.  Hope they release a price before the MG arrives, though suspect it will be  tad more than I would hope for, 1.2m or there about.

Though I really don't feel like waiting any longer than this year.  600 km range is impressive, though I wouldn't need it.  That's round trip to Krung Thep though, if squeezing most of it out, and would be nice not to top up away from the house.  560 kms R/T to daughter's house.  Anything more the 250 kms away from home and I'm probably overnighting it anyway.

• Like 1