Electric Vehicles in Thailand

21 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

I believe above 12 kV is commercial. That’s what I remember when this was discussed in the electrical forum

Same thinking here. The above 12 kV is most likely for commercial use in factories etc.

2 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Or to put it another way, going by this photo if I use the TOU meter only for charging an EV at 7 kWh will i be on the lower tariff or the higher ? ( the below 12 kV is confusing me )

3FBF3FAE-A50B-4B9F-B8A6-32A39661FB38.thumb.jpeg.47e479cc0b89e0a79abe7e4bd1704527.jpeg

Also, I am on PEA if that makes any difference .

Type 1.2 residential rate(TOU) using PEA

https://eservice.pea.co.th/EstimateBill/

and if you have no peak usage  use only 1 unit per month off peak there is a service charge of 312.24 baht per month total bill for 1 month is 690.70 baht

7 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Type 1.2 residential rate(TOU) using PEA

https://eservice.pea.co.th/EstimateBill/

and if you have no peak usage  use only 1 unit per month off peak there is a service charge of 312.24 baht per month total bill for 1 month is 690.70 baht

If you only use one unit you will not be above above 12 kV

23 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

If you only use one unit you will not be above above 12 kV

With Pea there is only 1 TOU residential rate and the 312.24 baht per month is applied to all bills

the 1.3.1 Voltage 12 – 24 kV and  1.3.2 Voltage below 12 kV seems only available via MEA 

using 1 unit per month = 2.60 baht + service fee of 312.24 total monthly bil = 336.88 

4. As for tariff No. 1.2, if the customer installs a meter on a low voltage side of his/her transformer, another 2% of kWh will be added to the energy consumption to compensate for the losses in the transformer.

5. Tariff No. 1.2 is an optional rate, in order that the customer is obligated to pay for any additional cost specified by PEA. After the minimum use of 12 months, the customer can require to be in tariff No. 1.1.

website page doesn't recalcuate unless you press start over each time you want a new calculation

Edited by vinny41
add
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, vinny41 said:

It seems that MEA has a policy of only 1 meter per address and charging EV's should be as shown in link here 

https://www.mea.or.th/profile/3361/3440

Aren't the top picture and those below not contradicting?

In one it shows you have to have separate wiring from mains, the other two below show wiring after house meter.

18 hours ago, vinny41 said:

It seems that MEA has a policy of only 1 meter per address and charging EV's should be as shown in link here 

https://www.mea.or.th/profile/3361/3440

When I was involved in my fight with MG about being allowed to charge from Solar a couple of years ago PEA had an “EV free second meter” policy where they would install a second meter for free to directly charge your EV.

I haven’t had a need to talk to PEA about this since as I opted for charging from solar and getting no warranty on my free wall charger.  (My solar didn’t blow up my wall charger)

• Thumbs Up 1

40 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

When I was involved in my fight with MG about being allowed to charge from Solar a couple of years ago PEA had an “EV free second meter” policy where they would install a second meter for free to directly charge your EV.

I haven’t had a need to talk to PEA about this since as I opted for charging from solar and getting no warranty on my free wall charger.  (My solar didn’t blow up my wall charger)

Yes its only MEA that has a policy of one meter per address PEA doesn't have the same policy

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Yes its only MEA that has a policy of one meter per address PEA doesn't have the same policy

Few others that were confused as myself:

"On 1 August 1958 the Metropolitan Electricity Authority (MEA) was established by merging the Bangkok Electric Works and the Electrical Division of the Public Works Department to be responsible for providing power supply in Bangkok, Nonthaburi, and Samut Prakan.

For electricity provision in Thailand's other 74 provinces, it is supplied by the Provincial Electricity Authority."

5 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Don't know why anyone would buy a Leaf in TH ... ????

Bjørn complained in the video that the Leaf is a million baht in Thailand - maybe he didn't know that it's been selling for 2 million until recently. 

I didn't know that the leaf sold in Thailand was a stripped down version 

leaf_final_call_banner_price.jpg.c273c2b347212e3ded66cab95fb05b2a.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

Bjørn complained in the video that the Leaf is a million baht in Thailand - maybe he didn't know that it's been selling for 2 million until recently. 

Since March 2020 Leaf was selling for  1,490,000 I think you will have to go back November 2018 for the 1,990,000 baht so I wouldn't call that recent

https://www.headlightmag.com/special-price-nissan-leaf-ev-100/

https://www.headlightmag.com/official-price-nissan-leaf-ev-100-thailand/

5 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

Plus the outdated Chademo plug. Japanese are ways behind any other market regarding EVs.

Even with the new coming Honda eNS1 I'm reluctant to buy it with so many other choices in the same price range available... 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CLW said:

Plus the outdated Chademo plug. Japanese are ways behind any other market regarding EVs.

Even with the new coming Honda eNS1 I'm reluctant to buy it with so many other choices in the same price range available... 

Apparently Toyota has had enough of their anti EV CEO ... 

https://electrek.co/2023/01/26/toyota-ceo-steps-down-amid-electric-vehicle-movement/

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Yodarapper said:

If you were buying a small suv for a family and you wanted to go electric - what would you buy?

We have the MG ZS, and quite happy with that.  Had the ZS ICE version prior to.

MG EP Plus is well worth a peak, not a SUV, but specs are fairly identical.  ZS a bit taller, EP a bit longer.

ZS ... ฿949k

EP ... ฿771k

Electric cars are an expensive limited dead end technology , already in UK and Norway  many elctric cars users are giving up on the  things due to  charger problems range and  reliability, Most Norweigans families have an electric car for local journeys  but also have a massive gas guzzler SUV, 4X4 or limo  or yank Tank for pleasure and long journeys , I know many people in Uk who had electric cars but due to  lack of chargers or range problems have sold them for petrol vehicles,  ,  My Brotheris a power train development engineer in Motor industry  and he says same thing  future will be  Hydrogen fuel cells, or Hydrogen Internal Combustion  engines  and synthetic fuels ..

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, liddelljohn said:

Electric cars are an expensive limited dead end technology , already in UK and Norway  many elctric cars users are giving up on the  things due to  charger problems range and  reliability, Most Norweigans families have an electric car for local journeys  but also have a massive gas guzzler SUV, 4X4 or limo  or yank Tank for pleasure and long journeys , I know many people in Uk who had electric cars but due to  lack of chargers or range problems have sold them for petrol vehicles,  ,  My Brotheris a power train development engineer in Motor industry  and he says same thing  future will be  Hydrogen fuel cells, or Hydrogen Internal Combustion  engines  and synthetic fuels ..

It seems the "many" people you know in the UK are firmly in the minority.

According to the survey reported on in the article below:

Just 1% of EV owners would definitely return to ICE says survey

The graph of the responses is as shown below.

Screenshot_2023_0129_235528.png

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Yodarapper said:

If you were buying a small suv for a family and you wanted to go electric - what would you buy?

It depends on what your max budget is, if it is below 1 million baht that limits choice down to a couple of cars currently available and maybe a couple of more than might be available next month

• Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

It depends on what your max budget is, if it is below 1 million baht that limits choice down to a couple of cars currently available and maybe a couple of more than might be available next month

Be nice if those asking stated a budget.  Now only about 5, BEVs, maybe < 1 mill baht.

MG ... 3 ,,, ZS, EP, MG4

GWM ... 1 ... Ora Good Cat

Neta ... 1 ?

Probably a couple more, I'm not familiar with.

There's also POCCO & Wuling, but pricey for the low specs.

Edited by KhunLA

16 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

It seems the "many" people you know in the UK are firmly in the minority.

According to the survey reported on in the article below:

Just 1% of EV owners would definitely return to ICE says survey

The graph of the responses is as shown below.

Screenshot_2023_0129_235528.png

NOT THAILAND RELATED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is hilarious that a "WhichEV" survey comes out in favor of EVs...

Why not get Exxon to do a survey? 

6 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Be nice if those asking stated a budget.  Now only about 5, BEVs, maybe < 1 mill baht.

MG ... 3 ,,, ZS, EP, MG4

GWM ... 1 ... Ora Good Cat

Neta ... 1 ?

Probably a couple more, I'm not familiar with.

There's also POCCO & Wuling, but pricey for the low specs.

As the poster did state small suv I think have to ignore MG4 and Ora Cat as not SUV

at the moment Yaris size Suv would be Neta V and soon to be announced larger  Neta U

as there is a motorshow in Bangkok end of March/begining of April expecting to see MG EP 2023 with updated grill same as current MG5 in the UK

Should also include Byd atto 3 standard price is 1.1 million baht

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vinny41 said:

As the poster did state small suv I think have to ignore MG4 and Ora Cat as not SUV

at the moment Yaris size Suv would be Neta V and soon to be announced larger  Neta U

as there is a motorshow in Bangkok end of March/begining of April expecting to see MG EP 2023 with updated grill same as current MG5 in the UK

Should also include Byd atto 3 standard price is 1.1 million baht

I'm surprised what they call a SUV now of days.  See they even have different classes of.  I thought the MG ZS was a bit small to class as a SUV, as in my mind, it's something more the lines of a Fortuner.  Hard to believe they class anything smaller than the ZS as a SUV. 

Love that it's short, for parking & tall for my back, entering & exiting.  But there's a lot of headroom, unless much taller than myself, is dead space.  Not complaining, as nice and spacey feeling inside, just an observation.  

As I stated  elsewhere, difference in ZS & EP is minimal, taller vs longer, but rest of the specs identical.  One is an SUV, other a station wagon, depending on market.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I'm surprised what they call a SUV now of days.  See they even have different class of.  I thought the MG ZS was a bit small to class as a SUV, as in my mind, it's something more the lines of a Fortuner.  Hard to believe the class anything smaller than the ZS as a SUV. 

Love that it's short, for parking & tall for my back, entering & exiting.  But there's a lot of headroom, unless much taller than myself, is dead space.  Not complaining, as nice and spacey feeling inside, just an observation.  

As I stated  elsewhere, difference in ZS & EP is minimal, taller vs longer, but rest of the specs identical.  One is an SUV, other a station wagon, depending on market.

I made the assumption right or wrong if someone was looking for a small SUV that they would also consider an estate car or station wagon in their research

3 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

NOT THAILAND RELATED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is hilarious that a "WhichEV" survey comes out in favor of EVs...

Why not get Exxon to do a survey? 

It's not hilarious but sad that you didn't read the article and still commented on it. The survey was not conducted by WhichEV. They were merely reporting  on it.

And GroveHillWanderer was replying to someone who made allegations about what users in the UK and Norway felt about their EV's. Yet no objection the party that raised the issue? Could that be because that person was telling you what aligned with your prejudices?