Electric Vehicles in Thailand

2 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

Out of curiosity, what EV do you drive? I currently have the Haval H6 PHEV and when I sell my Mazda 2, I will most probably purchase the BYD Atto3.

"The first electric car in the United States was developed in 1890–91 by William Morrison of Des Moines, Iowa; the vehicle was a six-passenger wagon capable of reaching a speed of 23 kilometres per hour (14 mph). It was not until 1895 that consumers began to devote attention to electric vehicles after A.L. Ryker introduced the first electric tricycles to the U.S.[32]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_electric_vehicle#:~:text=Hart.,to electric vehicles after A.L.

I drive an imaginary version of this one, 

12 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

In any case, I stand by my self-substantiated statement that a full EV is not suitable for those that doesn’t have home charging (a PHEV is a different proposition) and regular long distance travel could be problematic, especially during holiday season. These are my personal experiences and I don’t need 3rd party sources trying to tell me otherwise.

I have a friend awaiting delivery of his MG EP+ that he ordered last October on my recommendation.  He has condo's in Rayong & Chiang Rai without the ability to install a home charger.  He can supercharge at MG locally in both towns very cheaply and get a free coffee whilst he waits.  He will drive between the two locations, fast charging at the abundant fast chargers on the route, his cost savings over using a pickup truck were his main reasons for ordering his EP+.

MG have a supercharger network, no further than 150km apart (so they claim).

I rarely do long journeys, but I have noticed lots of superchargers, on the main routes at least.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

23 minutes ago, placeholder said:

"The first electric car in the United States was developed in 1890–91 by William Morrison of Des Moines, Iowa; the vehicle was a six-passenger wagon capable of reaching a speed of 23 kilometres per hour (14 mph). It was not until 1895 that consumers began to devote attention to electric vehicles after A.L. Ryker introduced the first electric tricycles to the U.S.[32]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_electric_vehicle#:~:text=Hart.,to electric vehicles after A.L.

I drive an imaginary version of this one, 

As I thought. I don’t remember you ever mentioning that you actually drive an EV.

4 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

As I thought. I don’t remember you ever mentioning that you actually drive an EV.

This you construed from my debunking of a false claim that EV purchases in the UK were down? Does that mean if I had agreed with that false claim this would mean that I owned an EV? 

I think there is supercharging and then there is SUPERcharging.  My own unsubstantiated opinion, is that very high speed SUPERcharging is probably not so good for the battery, from what I have read and watched on youtube, most supercharging here is done at speeds 50-80Kw which is probably not very different from spirited driving except the electrons are flowing the other way in the battery, I think full power acceleration in the MG EV's is drawing 125 or 175Kw (I forget which).

Balancing the battery is an interesting technology, there is passive and active balancing.  MG seems to employ passive balancing which only occurs at the end of the charging process, actually I have never seen that before on an EV. 

On the batteries I built for my solar power system, I fitted active balancers because I didn't want to ever take them over 80% SoC.  They are constantly balancing themselves.

On the subject of EV sales slowing down and people moving from EV's back to Petrol in the UK.  I saw the statistics that led to this conclusion, it was an incorrect deduction based on the statistics.  EV sales in the UK last year are up over 40%, Petrol sales are also up and this is where the incorrect conclusion was drawn, you needed to look at Diesel sales which are down massively.  The correct conclusion IMHO is that people are replacing their Diesel cars with both Petrol and EV's.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

It did say this in my post, sorry if it wasn’t clear enough 

580DEF7C-18FC-453F-A6C7-4C4D1470985B.jpeg.b91e54582a7e12626a287b0a8ca8b600.jpeg

Well the Honda HR-V EV seems like a very good price , roughly a 100k cheaper than the HEV ?

But according to this report from:

autolifethailand.tv

the price in Thailand might be more .

B9027644-1480-4E8C-B031-C9B0055C0C22.thumb.jpeg.0743333c476150d2fbd27d552bdf0aec.jpeg

Edited by Andrew Dwyer
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 2/18/2023 at 10:45 AM, Gweiloman said:

I’m about to embark on a 2,100 km journey from Cm to KL (after my other half gets out of the toilet in the next half hour). I’m hoping to be able to stop and charge every 150 km or so, at PEA Volta (I think the PTT reservation system is idiotic). 

I gather from various research that only supercharging could result in extra degradation of the battery and that slow charging also does a good job of balancing the battery. That’s why I mostly charge at home and only supercharge on long trips, to be on the safe side.

From what I have found out, PEA Volta only has slow chargers. How are you going to manage the whole trip, i. e. waiting times when slow charging. 

On 4/22/2022 at 10:13 AM, eezergood said:

the larger issue is the cost of electricity - & of course (yes I know its coming & its great in some areas) the charging networks

Never forget the cost of the batteries if you need to replace them. My friend has an electric vehicle and after 3 years needed to replace the batteries. Cost to him was 200,000 Baht.

Apart from the cost of such replacements does anyone think of what trade in price they will get when they want to use it as part exchange for a new vehicle? According to UK dealers they dont want to accept them as they have found it very hard to sell on. Just a few things which may not have been considered.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

Never forget the cost of the batteries if you need to replace them. My friend has an electric vehicle and after 3 years needed to replace the batteries. Cost to him was 200,000 Baht.

So, the battery warranty was not longer than 3 years?

What EV does not have, at least, a 3 year battery warranty?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

Apparently not. He has a BMW

Simple Google reveals: BMW warrants high-voltage lithium-ion batteries in its electric vehicles from defects in material and workmanship for 8 years or 80,000 miles in the USA.

In Europe and Thailand, it's 8 years and 160,000 kms (100,000 miles).

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

40 minutes ago, macahoom said:

Simple Google reveals: BMW warrants high-voltage lithium-ion batteries in its electric vehicles from defects in material and workmanship for 8 years or 80,000 miles in the USA.

In Europe and Thailand, it's 8 years and 160,000 kms (100,000 miles).

Doesnt really matter what it is. At some point you will either have to replace them, remember temperature as here in Thailand is not a friend of batteries, and at that point you either pay or scrap the vehicle. Probably have to scape it anyway as very few people seem inclined to buy a second hand EV.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, BKKBike09 said:

I just spent a week or so in Pattaya. Decided to take the Atto to see how practical it would be. From Bangkok to where I was staying is about 130 km. From just shy of 100% charged, I got there with battery at about 65% courtesy of some spirited (for an Atto) driving. 

After a few days driving around and down to about 40% I figured I'd try charging it a bit - my first time trying this away from the comfort of the free home charger. First stop, big PTT station in South Pattaya while on way to find some dinner with the family. It has two chargers. One was occupied by some fancy Audi saloon, the owner of which was nowhere to be seen, so no idea how long he/she was going to be. The other charger had a handwritten sign saying 'broken'. 

Went back next day at 1045. One car already plugged in (a Neta). Another waiting (an MG). The MG driver said "I'm booked for 11 - would you like to charge for a bit before then". Kind offer, but then I realised I had to set up the app etc. She helpfully also told me the next available charging spot that day was 3 pm.

I then went to PEA Volta in South Pattaya Road. A Grab taxi MG was charging there. There's only one charger and only one high-speed DC charger cable (CCS2). The driver helpfully told me that I could try to charge using one of the slower cables but that there might not be enough power for it to charge two cars at the same time. He was right. However, he was finished in 5 mins and then he showed me how to work the app. All good; I couldn't be ar$$ed to spend more than 20 minutes charging but that put in about another 20%, so battery up to 60% something. While I was there a Neta turned up. Young couple who also were first timers so I showed them how to work the app etc.

I went back to the PEA Volta a few days later when battery back down to 40%. An MG was plugged into one of the slower AC charging cables. I asked if he'd be long and the guy was a bit of a tw@t ["I'll be done when I'm done"] so I plugged in the DC 'fast charge' cable. It worked ... but the total 50KWh capacity of the charging station meant the tw@t got 22KWh and I got 28 KWh ... so I did 20 mins and off I went.

Went back a third time equipped with coffee and laptop (HOT TIP: there are no coffee shops that I could see anywhere near the PEA place, not even at the Shell station across the road). No-one charging, so I plugged in and then spent 5 minutes trying to get the charger to talk to the car. Finally it was happy and I started charging. Literally one minute later a guy drives up in a Neta and pleads with me to let him charge because he's in a rush to get back to BKK to pick up a customer etc etc. I debated making him wait but I played nice and said he could charge for up to 20 mins, if that would work for him. Which it did. I then plugged back in and spent 45 minutes sitting in my car drinking coffee and working, so the time wasn't wasted. Pulled the plug when the battery was at 95%.

Charging at PEA is not priced clearly: one charge cost THB 4.5 or so per KWh (on a Sunday), others cost THB 6.7 or so (on weekdays). Go figure. Maybe TOU pricing? But the PEA app is simple to use and you simply top up credit using a credit card [of course, if you don't have a Thai credit card that may be a problem, and I also have Thai nationality so that may make it seem easy].

So ... my take on it all is that charging at public chargers is pretty hit and miss, especially if you 'walk in' rather than pre-book. On principle, booking a time to charge my car goes against the grain, but maybe it's part and parcel of the EV ownership 'experience'.

I am renting a MG ZS EV for a trip to Koh Chang. Hopefully it doesn't end up in disaster (looking for available or working charging stations) like your experience...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CLW said:

I am renting a MG ZS EV for a trip to Koh Chang. Hopefully it doesn't end up in disaster (looking for available or working charging stations) like your experience...

Definitely going to need to top up before being on KC.  Maybe one at the pier, IF availabe as others will be thinking the same.   Though I'd definitely top up in Trat, as there's few.   Make sure you have the emergency/granny charger with you.  Can always use at your resort.

Let them charge you 7-8 baht a kW X 46 = <400 baht

image.png.bffef10d6ddca904a0e390332b5414fd.png

PlugShare for CS/charging station locations.  Gmap isn't very good.

Charge Loma is an app, with same info as PlugShare,  Some CS you may need an opp and or CC

https://aseannow.com/topic/1279914-ev-charging-stations-cs/#comment-17771491

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CLW said:

I am renting a MG ZS EV for a trip to Koh Chang. Hopefully it doesn't end up in disaster (looking for available or working charging stations) like your experience..

I wouldn't say my experience was disaster - more that it showed the potential issues you can face if you really need to charge. 

I'd try to avoid needing to charge at any charger close to the pier, or planning to charge on say a weekend. 

The PEA Volta app shows a 50KW charger in Chanthaburi at Bangchak Khao Sa Ming. Maybe stop and top up a bit there if no-one using it. 

Taking the granny charger is a very good idea. That was my Plan B. I also bought a decent 10 m extension cable. Top Tip #2 would be to buy a plug adapter for 3-pin to 2-pin. Granny charger will likely be a round 3-pin plug, but a lot of upcountry electrics may still be flat 2-pin sockets ...

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Re Koh Chang trip with rented EV.

I have installed the following apps:

Plugshare: to find charging stations in one app with reviews from user about the current status of each charging station

Elexa, EV station pluz, EA anywhere, PEA volta: to actually charge the EV. I set up an account and registered as many information (name, credit card etc.) already. Still I am not exactly sure how the payment for each provider works?

PEA volta seems to charge directly from the saved credit card.

How about others? Is it easy with scan QR code and bank transfer / PromptPay?

1 hour ago, CLW said:

For PEA you start by selecting on the in-app interactive map the charging location where you are. When you tap on it, it brings up that charging station and shows what chargers it has. Click on the one you want to use (eg CCS2 50 KWh). It then says plug into car and then to click 'start charging' on the app. If all works, the app then shows you your current battery % and the charging speed (in KWh) and time remaining. Once you get above about 85% the charging rate slows right down.

For an SOE it's a surprisingly good app (assuming all your data is kept safe etc ...).

No experience on others.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, CLW said:

Re Koh Chang trip with rented EV.

I have installed the following apps:

Plugshare: to find charging stations in one app with reviews from user about the current status of each charging station

Elexa, EV station pluz, EA anywhere, PEA volta: to actually charge the EV. I set up an account and registered as many information (name, credit card etc.) already. Still I am not exactly sure how the payment for each provider works?

We've only used MG & PEA Volta, and way too easy.

Tried Elexa, after we got a CC, but they wanted the size of my penis, and if asked if wife has any hair on her nipples.  Oh yea, along with 'business tax #" ... W T F

Tried eVolta also, but for some reason, charger stated 'closed', so couldn't test that, and didn't bother with any other, as on the way home with more than enough juice.  Just wanted to test.

EV Station seems easy enough, though we didn't have CC at the time we tried to test.  Someone there stated debit card works also.

I like keeping 100kms (30 ish %) reserve, so we're good for 260 ish kms ('eco' mode @ 90 kph), so about 3 hrs driving and ready for a stop anyway, and plenty in reserve, if CS isn't cooperating.

If first time with ZS, turn off lane assist, as a bit annoying.  And if using cruise control, keep foot near accelerator, and tap if car slows down when you really don't need to, as it likes to keep safe distance from anything in front of you.  It take some getting use to, if never driven before with the 'assist' modes.

Really liking the 1 foot driving though, and rarely touch the brakes.  I keep the KERS (regen) @ #3.  That will take a few stops to get used to also, as slows down the car quite quick.

With cruise control, it's almost self driving.  It will slow & stop by itself at traffic signals/stops/intersections, as long as vehicle in front does.  Then then start, after a tap on accelerator when ready to go, and then cruise control will take over again.

I've yet to test coming up on traffic @ 90kph, to see if it slows & stops with stopped traffic in front of me ... not that trusting at all. 

It simply paces quite well with traffic in front of you though, keeping a safe distance.  If needing to accelerate, it will go back to preset once done.  With lane assist, it will try to keep you in lane, but that's annoying, and since TH doesn't have consistently line painting, not exactly safe to rely on.

Cruise control won't engage till doing 40ish kph.  Then every up or down, +/- 5 kph.  Also if curves of the highway aren't built properly, and car has the slightest sway, it will slow down, also annoying, so again, keep foot near accelerator.  Sounds like a lot to pay attention to, but once use to it, it quite nice.

• Thanks 2

From browsing on Thai FB EV groups, many people complained that the EA anywhere chargers are the worst: Not working, frozen UI, can't charge for whatever reason, firmware update of the charger, etc.

Anyone can confirm that?

52 minutes ago, CLW said:

From browsing on Thai FB EV groups, many people complained that the EA anywhere chargers are the worst: Not working, frozen UI, can't charge for whatever reason, firmware update of the charger, etc.

Anyone can confirm that?

I've used it about 5-10 times but only at the EA Anywhere at Robinsons, Kamphaeng Phet. Worked well every time except the last time, about 2 months ago, when after it charged my credit card for the 50 baht per hour, it never started charging. It always said 'preparing'. I sent a complaint to the company with a screenshot but they never got back to me, so I was out of pocket 50 baht. Not a big deal because I have a hybrid.

• Thanks 1