Electric Vehicles in Thailand

3 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

I used to have a Mercedes PHEV, real world battery driving was only about 19km, it had a 3.6Kw on board charger that took a couple of hours to charge it up, there was no DC charge ability, I think the Haval is unique in having that.

You could switch the car to "Charge" mode  on the Mercedes when the battery was exhausted, but there's no point doing that, using petrol to charge the battery is the worst of both worlds and very inefficient.

The Haval having a large battery and fast DC Charging makes it by far the most advanced on the market.

Personally, I favour a large battery and very small petrol engine in a PHEV that would allow you to limp along to the end of your journey, nobody is doing that.

I think the Haval has hit the sweet spot. A 34 kWh battery with a real world range of 150 - 170 km means an actual driving time of 2+ hrs which is a good break time. DC charging gives a charging time from 10%-80% in around 40 minutes which is good for a toilet break and coffee stop. As we have dogs, we would normally stop for no less than 30 mins anyway.

A bigger battery would add more weight which means higher fuel consumption when the battery is run down.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

On the MG HS PHEV there is a dedicated EV only button and three driving modes: Eco; Normal and Sport and a Super Sport button on the steering wheel

EV.jpg.5bfbdcb71f2329ed5ab533b0213ff985.jpg

MG-HS_14.jpg.08308633e4d797c37721ae2a1a54ab46.jpg

The Haval also has a EV only driving mode as well as a hybrid mode. However, I don’t quite understand why.

When hybrid mode is selected, the car still drives on EV mode. It’s only when you accelerate hard that the ICE kicks in.

On EV driving mode, the car is capable of speeds up to 140 kmh on pure EV. And when the battery is low, the ICE will automatically kick in so I’m puzzled why there are the two modes.

I doubt any GWM salesperson can answer that question as it seems like I knew more of the car than they did at the time I picked up the car from the dealership.

2 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

The Haval also has a EV only driving mode as well as a hybrid mode. However, I don’t quite understand why.

When hybrid mode is selected, the car still drives on EV mode. It’s only when you accelerate hard that the ICE kicks in.

On EV driving mode, the car is capable of speeds up to 140 kmh on pure EV. And when the battery is low, the ICE will automatically kick in so I’m puzzled why there are the two modes.

I doubt any GWM salesperson can answer that question as it seems like I knew more of the car than they did at the time I picked up the car from the dealership.

On the MG PHEV when you switch off EV mode the car will choose the efficient driving mode. At low speeds the car will drive in EV only 

Different driving modes as shown on instrument cluster

1605186654_Schermafbeelding2021-03-05om14_46_10.png.99fdb6d9e295f3643cf32862609c71e0.png1606568176_Schermafbeelding2021-03-05om14_47_33.png.58585cc2b768021dc17f9207e7941a08.png1346572460_Schermafbeelding2021-03-05om14_47_53.png.0a3e2081acd3faf13d940324830baaea.png906757369_Schermafbeelding2021-03-05om14_48_08.png.e617b73b6f2aca8df4efdd23d8686d39.png122623800_Schermafbeelding2021-03-05om14_48_32.png.faf3f53b6620306aa0030af290450930.png

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

On the MG PHEV when you switch off EV mode the car will choose the efficient driving mode. At low speeds the car will drive in EV only 

Different driving modes as shown on instrument cluster

1605186654_Schermafbeelding2021-03-05om14_46_10.png.99fdb6d9e295f3643cf32862609c71e0.png1606568176_Schermafbeelding2021-03-05om14_47_33.png.58585cc2b768021dc17f9207e7941a08.png1346572460_Schermafbeelding2021-03-05om14_47_53.png.0a3e2081acd3faf13d940324830baaea.png906757369_Schermafbeelding2021-03-05om14_48_08.png.e617b73b6f2aca8df4efdd23d8686d39.png122623800_Schermafbeelding2021-03-05om14_48_32.png.faf3f53b6620306aa0030af290450930.png

When you switch off EV mode, at what speed will the ICE kick in? I have gone as high as 120 kph in hybrid mode without the ICE kicking in. (In EV only mode, the ICE kicks in at 140 kph)

1 hour ago, Gweiloman said:

When you switch off EV mode, at what speed will the ICE kick in? I have gone as high as 120 kph in hybrid mode without the ICE kicking in. (In EV only mode, the ICE kicks in at 140 kph)

a lot lower speed than that in the MG PHEV  - something like 50k

On 1/1/2023 at 12:52 AM, Gweiloman said:

I decided that a PHEV is the best option for me and thus f, after a month of own, I’m still happy with my choice.

Well perhaps but I am skeptical.  Common sense tells me, I pay for more the electric car to begin with and as it ages its batteries become exhausted and my range decreases.  As it approaches the age to replace the battery its resale value plummets so whatever "savings" I got from driving an electric vechicle are lost when I factor in the depreciation.  Though you may be happy at this time and perhaps always will, 1 in 5 drivers in Californa said, they will not purchase an EV the second time.  That is a lot 

https://www.businessinsider.in/1-in-5-electric-vehicle-owners-in-California-switched-back-to-gas-because-charging-their-cars-is-a-hassle-new-research-shows/articleshow/82332806.cms

image.png.2b266a42bb12b78920f070e9183c0746.png

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

I have listed my home charger on Plug Share for anyone with an emergency. If more EV owners did the same we would have less EV range anxiety.

That's cool ... I'd do the same, but don't think anyone would bother for a slow charge.

Have 2 MG CSs, within 5 kms of house, along with

1 CS < 40 kms N of us, and

1 CS < 30 kms south of us.

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

That's cool ... I'd do the same, but don't think anyone would bother for a slow charge.

Have 2 MG CSs, within 5 kms of house, along with

1 CS < 40 kms N of us, and

1 CS < 30 kms south of us.

The same here, but if all the chargers are full at New Year it might be appreciated.

2015659653_EHTPlugShare.thumb.jpg.ff3b22a6491d260ebe59a60cb48b99f1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, JBChiangRai said:

I expect at least 20 years out of my battery if it's properly looked after.  With a starting range of 510km, it should still have over 400km range at 20 years.  I will probably be dead by then

Again perhaps, but as I drive around Thailand I see precious few charging stations. As to your claim of getting 510 KM perhaps you should advise Mercedes that unlike published reports your car outstrips theirs. 

image.png.c132b9ac76787f5f55f9fa297dcdee6e.png

As to a range of 400KM at 20 years I find that pretty difficult to believe..  This report says at 8 years the battery would be at 70%.  

Now this is not an issue in Thailand but both battery charging time, range, and life of battery are considerably less in cold weather.  Ford recently advised owners of its new EV truck to avoid using the heater during cold weather and to rely on heated seats and steering wheel to save the battery.  The same applies to using the AC during the summer. 

image.png.3fb1f10b2b1da47a9c218d91589f83c7.png

It would seem to me, the only people who will greatly benefit from and EV would be those that travel a lot such as taxi drivers in major cities.  If you drive very little you won't save enough in reduced energy costs to recoup the additional expense of purchasing an EV.  The unknown question is if the owner decides to change vehicles at the end of 5 to 8 years what the resale value will be.  I "suspect" buyers will know the battery is towards the end of its normal life, will have reduced range, and might need to be replaced.  Given that I would conjecture the resale value will plummet.  

Also unknown, all of the studies are based on todays cost of electricity.  As more electric cars are on the roads it is almost a certainty that government will tax the EV's either directly or through higher electric costs to offset the loss of fuel tax.  Though it wont impact immediately existing owners. The price of lithium has skyrocketed and that is with only a small fraction of the cars being Electric.  That alone could significantly increase the cost of a new EV and destroy any resale value entirely on the used one if it required now a much more expensive battery replacement. 

image.png.16deaf5438244d23c847da9bea03a145.png

36 minutes ago, Longwood50 said:

As to your claim of getting 510 KM perhaps you should advise Mercedes that unlike published reports your car outstrips theirs. 

Miles vs km in your picture. Any further questions? Does it compute?

• Haha 2

55 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

The same here, but if all the chargers are full at New Year it might be appreciated.

Thats nice community spirit to make your chargers available for emergency.

How does this work, I see a checkin button. So could someone reserve a time slot?

How do other charging stations handle this? Can you reserve a spot, or is it first come first serve?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TronxII said:

Thats nice community spirit to make your chargers available for emergency.

How does this work, I see a checkin button. So could someone reserve a time slot?

How do other charging stations handle this? Can you reserve a spot, or is it first come first serve?

Plugshare lists EV chargers for many different companies. You can plan a trip and if you add your EV type to your profile it will know your range and suggest charging stations. You can filter your search by plug type. When you visit a charger you can "Check in" and leave a review for others to read maybe that it's not working. 

To actually use a charger like PTT, PEA etc you will have to use their app to pay for and in some cases you can reserve a spot.

53 minutes ago, TronxII said:

I'm only familiar with MG's charger, and yes, you can reserve up to 15 mins prior I believe.   If someone pulls up in that time, they won't be able to plug in, or simply wait, maybe, for end of that reserve time, and it will open.

Haven't read the fine print yet.  Everyone we've used has been empty, so we haven't bothered trying.  If someone there, there's another usually just down the road.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

I don't drive a Mercedes, I drive a Porsche Taycan and Porsche are known for understating their performance figures.

I also consistently exceed MG's range rating of 320 kms (WLTP), cruising at 60 & 90 kph, instead of WLTP's average test speed of 47 kph.  Even exceed, occasionally, NEDC's rating of 403, by just a few.

image.png.b6982661ec949c4aba71acc0e506ae89.png

image.png.c24900f2344397be710090ff546393f2.png

1 hour ago, motdaeng said:

video about charging system in thailand ...

i have the impression that the whole thing hasn't been thought through (yet) ... ????

With a 10 minute window, that seems about fair.   Just plan to be there early or on time.

A work in progress.  Planning is everything.  Would think people against it would be those folks that don't plan, or don't follow through with their plans, or on 'Thai Time'.

Ignorant & arrogant folks will always complicate things ... sadly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, motdaeng said:

video about charging system in thailand ...

i have the impression that the whole thing hasn't been thought through (yet) ... ????

This is his report on EV Station PluZ.

We've used these stations several times. Admittedly, the first time we used one, it was a little confusing. But now we understand it and have the hang of it, it's quite simple and works well.

Edited by macahoom
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

With a 10 minute window, that seems about fair.   Just plan to be there early or on time.

I think 10 minutes is perfect, I guess they are aiming for people to book their place in the queue as they arrive which makes perfect sense.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

normally i only need to use the charging station for a road trips.
e.g. to book the day before makes little sense to me, since it will be difficult

to arrive at the charging station at the full hour (+ 10 min) on a 200 km journey ...

maybe booking max 30 minutes in advance would work better ?
we'll see, the system can (imho) be improved ...

another point, if the slot is booked and nobody shows up, the charging station is

locked and can not be uesed by others for 15 minutes (?) ... that sounds not like a good idea ...

Edited by motdaeng

9 minutes ago, Sophon said:

Plus the five minutes before the booking slot.

You're almost right!

It's actually 10 minutes before the booking slot. I know Bjørn says 5 minutes in the video, but I'm pretty sure he's wrong.

Edited by macahoom
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, macahoom said:

You're almost right!

It's actually 10 minutes before the booking slot. I know Bjørn says 5 minutes in the video, but I'm pretty sure he's wrong.

It might be different for different charging networks, but I did see one of his earlier road trip videos where the charger stopped charging five minutes before the hour.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sophon said:

It might be different for different charging networks, but I did see one of his earlier road trip videos where the charger stopped charging five minutes before the hour.

2 minutes ago, Sophon said:

Sorry for any confusion, but we've been discussing EV Station PluZ which is the station featured in Bjørn's video a few posts earlier. It stops charging 10 minutes before the hour.