Electric Vehicles in Thailand

34 minutes ago, placeholder said:

It's not hilarious but sad that you didn't read the article and still commented on it.

Like you huh?

The survey was not conducted by WhichEV. They were merely reporting  on it.

As it typical, long on reporting, short an facts and data. 

And GroveHillWanderer was replying to someone who made allegations about what users in the UK and Norway felt about their EV's. Yet no objection the party that raised the issue? Could that be because that person was telling you what aligned with your prejudices?

It was a joke, again, try to follow along....

31 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Like you huh?

As it typical, long on reporting, short an facts and data. 

It was a joke, again, try to follow along....

The first comeback is, as usual, without content in respect to either facts or reason,  a second which avoids the fact that you got it wrong,  and the third comment being, I guess, the kind of joke that isn't funny. I grant that you have a gift for that.

• Love It 1

Another entertaining ( rambling ???? ) video from Bjørn explaining the pros and cons of LFP batteries v Cobalt.

Good news for anyone contemplating the MG4, shows some nice overtaking power of this car also.

Edited by Andrew Dwyer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

The LFP MG 4 is an excellent value car. I really enjoyed my test drive. Compared to the LFP Tesla model 3 it’s half the price.

CCA7B643-370B-4AC5-82D7-6CA76B896078.thumb.jpeg.ba6a2dc0bf28f83208c4b294602cf8d5.jpeg31E9A159-15E4-426D-8ACF-6A310340D968.thumb.jpeg.1587dd9fba170d2af9025b39a8560b7f.jpeg

Yup, MG4 jockeying for position against Atto 3 in my personal/affordable EV favourite.

Here’s Bjørn putting it through its paces on the mountain stress test ……… did he find some problem ?? ( but he was , to use his own words , “ hammering “ it initially )

Maybe , loading some weight in the car and giving it a more sedate run up the mountain would be a more realistic test ??

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Here’s Bjørn putting it through its paces on the mountain stress test ……… did he find some problem ??

A hill climb like this is the toughest test for any car and does not represent normal driving. I for one would be driving a little more sedately with all those hairpin bends. ????

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

The LFP MG 4 is an excellent value car. I really enjoyed my test drive. Compared to the LFP Tesla model 3 it’s half the price.

CCA7B643-370B-4AC5-82D7-6CA76B896078.thumb.jpeg.ba6a2dc0bf28f83208c4b294602cf8d5.jpeg31E9A159-15E4-426D-8ACF-6A310340D968.thumb.jpeg.1587dd9fba170d2af9025b39a8560b7f.jpeg

So the battery technology of the MG 4 Model D and Generation X is different?

10 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Yup, MG4 jockeying for position against Atto 3 in my personal/affordable EV favourite.

Here’s Bjørn putting it through its paces on the mountain stress test ……… did he find some problem ?? ( but he was , to use his own words , “ hammering “ it initially )

Maybe , loading some weight in the car and giving it a more sedate run up the mountain would be a more realistic test ??

He makes a living on YT, so he needs click-bait. He is also very biased in favor of Tesla (started out as TeslaBjorn) and is rather negative on Chinese cars. Wit these caveats in mind, he does good comparison tests for range and charging on a large number of EV's.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mistral53 said:

He makes a living on YT, so he needs click-bait. He is also very biased in favor of Tesla (started out as TeslaBjorn) and is rather negative on Chinese cars. Wit these caveats in mind, he does good comparison tests for range and charging on a large number of EV's.

Not so sure about that, just honest reviews.   Owned MG EV for years, until he could afford a Tesla.   

I don't know anything about EU EVs, but at 2X the cost of MG or more, you'd expect a bit more quality, and software does seem to be a weak point with CH cars, aside from Tesla (CH).  Tesla seems to get more fit & finish complaints, and a bit of a surprise.

Why I'm not a fan of options, as usually where most complaints come from.  Thai roads don't help with driving assist software, as painted lines aren't consistent as I'm guessing the are in EU.

I turned off the 'lane assistant' in the MG ZS, as a bit annoying, though worked fairly OK, considering Thai roads.  I'm not trusting of the software & Thai roads playing nice together and the constant nudges while holding the steering wheel is annoying.  I'd never let any car drive itself, as I'm not that trusting.

He's been at it a long time before his TB/Tesla channel, and makes sense of course ... marketing.  Remember seeing some of his content 7+ yrs ago.  

He help me decide on both of my EVs, MG & DECO, from his vids.   Don't like reviewers that don't point out any negatives, as simply can't be trusted.

One of his older vids, a few years older than the channel he started or changed to TeslaBjorn.

TB logo is new, again, just good marketing.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, mistral53 said:

I don’t see much bias towards Tesla , not in the videos I have watched anyway, he does reference German cars a lot and certainly takes a poke at Chinese software now and then.

But he’s very relatable to my situation, driving cars on Thai roads with Thai climate and reviews models that are available in Thailand. Also, any info on local charging is surely useful.

The comments about Thai driving in general, right lane huggers as he calls them as he hugs the right lane ! always bring a smile to my face.

Reviews of cars features, looks, quality and price etc can be got elsewhere but actual reviews relevant to Thailand are few and far between, unless you are fluent in Thai of course.

Thaiautonews is another YouTuber who is worthy of a watch but not as comprehensive or as fun as Bjørn’s imho.

• Thumbs Up 2

7 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I don’t see much bias towards Tesla , not in the videos I have watched anyway, he does reference German cars a lot and certainly takes a poke at Chinese software now and then.

But he’s very relatable to my situation, driving cars on Thai roads with Thai climate and reviews models that are available in Thailand. Also, any info on local charging is surely useful.

The comments about Thai driving in general, right lane huggers as he calls them as he hugs the right lane ! always bring a smile to my face.

Reviews of cars features, looks, quality and price etc can be got elsewhere but actual reviews relevant to Thailand are few and far between, unless you are fluent in Thai of course.

Thaiautonews is another YouTuber who is worthy of a watch but not as comprehensive or as fun as Bjørn’s imho.

Agree, and great that he does reviews on both continents, and gives a great perspective for those looking.  Doesn't help watching EU reviews, in your home language, if you are based, buying in TH.  As he points out, the same models aren't the same in all markets.

He did the 'MG camping' review ... I can fit 2 Asian women with me in the back ....  oh hell yea, I'm buying.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Not so sure about that, just honest reviews.   Owned MG EV for years, until he could afford a Tesla.   

You should do some research first and not just babble about subjects you don't know: TB's first electric car that I could find was his 2013 Tesla Model S P85 - there was no MG EV at that time.

TB has two client groups - the YT crowd and the EV manufacturers. He needs clicks on his YT channel, and he needs test vehicles. Most of his testing/recording is in Europe by far, so there is little doubt that he has to cater to them more than to the Chinese.......or so he thinks. That is why he is biased and not as balanced as I wish he were. In his defense, there are many YT channels on the subject of EV's that are much worse.

2014 video to back up my claim:

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, mistral53 said:

You should do some research first and not just babble about subjects you don't know: TB's first electric car that I could find was his 2013 Tesla Model S P85 - there was no MG EV at that time.

I think you need to work on your 'people' skills.

Me: "12 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Not so sure about that, just honest reviews."

You: "and not just babble about subjects you don't know"

Suggested reply would have been:  "From the vid below, you may notice your assumption is incorrect"

Just a suggestion ????

I think I need a 'safe space' ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:

I think you need to work on your 'people' skills.

Me: "12 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Not so sure about that, just honest reviews."

You: "and not just babble about subjects you don't know"

Suggested reply would have been:  "From the vid below, you may notice your assumption is incorrect"

Just a suggestion ????

I think I need a 'safe space' ????

Who needs people skills on the Internet? - here is where I can show what kind of really bad ass SOB I am........ ????

BTW - between you, me and the door post....... good reply! borderline condescending, but I let it slide this one time  ???? ????

• Haha 1

So, another Bjørn test on the MG4, this time a range test .

A mixed bag , thumbs up for the suspension and wind noise, thumbs down for the sound system, adaptive cruise control reactions and some questionable inboard range figures ( another dig at Chinese software ).

This time he does throw in a couple of Tesla comments though !

Range appears to come in at 330 km at a steady 90 kph on the highway and down to 226 km when up the speed to 120 kph, a long way from the 425 km range (NEDC) quoted by MG, of course with a mixture of highway and city driving 350 km should be possible thanks to regen and some careful driving.

All in all, this is still, imho, a great little car at a great price, the driving experience has to be the best in its class, again imho ????.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

Keep hearing rumors about the BYD Seal coming to Thailand soon.

Wonder how it will compare in price to the Tesla model 3.

427BCDEF-EE07-4454-BCA7-1F13BBB7671A.thumb.jpeg.5d548b67452bbddc642c17e6634d9bf4.jpeg

As I said before, I will cancel my Tesla order in a heartbeat if the BYD Seal will come to Thailand within this year. For me, the Seal ticks all the right boxes.

• Like 1

On 1/29/2023 at 10:03 PM, KhunLA said:

We have the MG ZS, and quite happy with that.  Had the ZS ICE version prior to.

MG EP Plus is well worth a peak, not a SUV, but specs are fairly identical.  ZS a bit taller, EP a bit longer.

ZS ... ฿949k

EP ... ฿771k

What would you say is BAD about having an electric? I saw an MG electric suv st

mega Bangna the other day and it was around 800,000k - looked futuristic.

but in Europe everyone says not enough infrastructure yet - guess here it’s worse?

how do you charge it at home?

How often do you have to charge?

what if you go on a road trip?

is it harder to sell in the future?

@Yodarapper

but in Europe everyone says not enough infrastructure yet - guess here it’s worse?

... actually here is much better, as few EV per CS (charging station) ratio, and never a problem when on the road.  I don't do weekends, so can't comment if busy at CS.  You can reserve your time, so planning should eliminate any Q'ing up.

how do you charge it at home?

... just plug in to house current, using the granny/emergency charger provided with EV.  Charges @ 2.3 kWh  The house is Solar.   We also have the MG free, provided & installed Wall Charger (@7.4kwh),  But on the grid, and I'm too much of a CC, spiteful basstard to give PEA any baht of mine.

... depends, if on a local O&A (out & about) as 2 days ago, then the next day, and it took all day on the granny charger.  Today, I actually charged after using, from 100% to 95%, just a local park/dog run.   Topped it back up when I got home, which is rare for me.  Usually charge once a week, and that usually about 20-25% top up.

what if you go on a road trip?

... have done 3 road trips, that required overnight and use of CSs, and no prob:

https://aseannow.com/topic/1276247-ev-owners-…-real-life-experience-help-thread/page/4/#comment-17756935

is it harder to sell in the future?

... that's a big question mark, and unknown, since they haven't been around long enough in TH.  BUT, if we keep at least till warranty on battery is up, 8 yrs, how much is any 1 mill baht car worth 8 yrs old / 180k kms on the clock ?   Plus about the EV, it has a 50.3kWh battery pack, so at worse, if the car can't keep up with the battery pack & electric motors, we have a 50kWh battery pack to add to the solar system ????   Try buying that in today's market and you end up spending about 500k baht.  Don't think a 8yr old/180k ICE will give you that return.

Another plus about buying now, our EV cost 949k baht, and is now insured for 960k baht, if totaled, thanks to govt incentive.  Actually appreciated driving off the lot.

I'm a big fan of EV, if haven't noticed, and would never get an ICE again.   Matter of fact, having the EV for a few months, I starting to realize how silly the ICE/big oil companies control of the auto industry & electric utilities is such a joke and amazed it has continued, their control of, for so long.   Damn embarrassing really   IMHO.

• Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

@Yodarapper

... obviously that's not going to be the same for everyone, depending on usage and driving habits.

Myself & wife retired, and markets within 5 kms of house, so our mandatory driving is very little.  Could actually get away with once every 2 weeks, though boring.

My usual is 12-15 kms a day, as the dog takes me to the park for my morning walk, then we cruise by surfside, to make sure it's still there.  That's a 12 kms round trip.  Makro & market is actually on the way, so 15 at most daily.

With the EV (car) , one should get about 225 kms, with a 25-30% battery reserve, just knocking around town or even on the highway.  That's what we get with MG ZS.   If using car everyday for our daily runs, that would require charging up about ever 2 weeks, if taking it down to 25-30%.  Using the Wall Charger @ 7.4kWh, overnight, and you'd be topped up with no problems, and ready to go the next day if needed. 

If one does about 30 kms a day, you'd be topping back up about once a week +/-, if keeping a very battery healthy reserve of about 30% or more.

I usually charge up, at 75-80% and back to 100%, so usually once a week is needed.   That takes all day since using the granny charger @ 2.3kWh.   We, dog & myself, actually use the E-MB for our morning runs.  Of late, using the car, as getting a new road, and it's dusty as all hell.

We explore locally a bit, or we really wouldn't need to top up but once a month.  Everything being so close to house, we really don't need to drive much at all.  If not for O&A (out & abouts), we wouldn't put many kms on the clock. 

2 yrs with the MG ZS ICE, we only put on 39k kms, and way more than half, were O&A overnight, weekly, monthly exploring.

• Thanks 1

How far can you go ?   For our MG ZS (50.3kWh;

... NEDC rating is 403 kms, have only exceeded that twice, I think

... WLTP rating is 320 kms, and we exceed that consistently, and usually get what the car predicts in 'eco' mode, or more, which is 360 kms per charge, and 342 is driving in 'normal' mode, which we don't.

Here's another vid for MG4, and range achieved, exceeding WLTP's rating @  80 kph +/- and he was driving in 'normal' vs 'eco' mode.

Summary at 24:45 of vid

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, KhunLA said:

How far can you go ?   For our MG ZS (50.3kWh;

... NEDC rating is 403 kms, have only exceeded that twice, I think

... WLTP rating is 320 kms, and we exceed that consistently, and usually get what the car predicts in 'eco' mode, or more, which is 360 kms per charge, and 342 is driving in 'normal' mode, which we don't.

Here's another vid for MG4, and range achieved, exceeding WLTP's rating @  80 kph +/- and he was driving in 'normal' vs 'eco' mode.

Summary at 24:45 of vid

He is a little bit of a dork........did he seriously expect the dog would eat rice separately, after wolfing down the meat? everybody knows you have to mix rice with meat......dogs are not that stupid!

I know.....I know.........this thread is bout electric cars in Thailand.  ????????

• Haha 1

On 2/4/2023 at 7:45 AM, JBChiangRai said:

My daughter received her MG EP+ last October after a 6 month wait.  I liked it so much I ordered one, I popped into the local MG dealer yesterday to check how much longer it would be and was told another 3 months, but I could have the new MG4 in blue "X" spec straight away.

I switched my order to that and get it on Tuesday morning.  I still can't help wondering if I have done the right thing, the EP+ is almost 200,000 baht cheaper, so cheap it's actually ridiculous.

I can understand MG shipping the EP+ so slowly, they can't be making anywhere near the same margin on it.

Its swings and roundabouts last year for the 1st 7 months of the year the majority of cars shipped to Thailand were EP and EP+

I can see on Thai media rumors of the lastest facelift EP will be launched at next month motorshow , not sure what it will be named as MG5 is already in use here maybe MG EP 2023 i guess just have to wait and see

8 hours ago, vinny41 said:

... Thai media rumors of the lastest facelift EP will be launched at next month motorshow ....

motor show   l   bangkok   l   22.03.2023 - 02.04.2023

i try to attend the upcoming motor show. i would really like to order an electric vehicle,

but my top pick, the "ioniq 6," is unlikely to be available anytime soon.
i'll also take a deeper look at the Ioniq 5, byd han, byd seal, volvo ex 90 and a few other cars ... 

2023-01-03.png

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1