Electric Vehicles in Thailand

2 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Yup, the MG4 is getting some great reviews and at 869/969k is an excellent price. I’m currently torn between the MG4 and the Atto 3 .

The Neta U Pro might be another one to consider  ?

I don't like SUVs, therefore not much choices at the moment. Also heard about the rust problems with BYD. Even they have quite a long history of building car and batteries, MG respectively SAIC has been building cars with Volkswagen in China for more than 30 years and also in my opinion transferred a lot of knowledge from Volkswagen to their car manufacturing process.

Neta cars (all of them) I am afraid will facing the same issues as BYD: after years some issues to come such as rust etc... Was interested in Neta S, reviews said built quality is <deleted>. Mostly a poser car because of its outside look and high performance.

1 hour ago, CLW said:

I don't like SUVs, therefore not much choices at the moment. Also heard about the rust problems with BYD. Even they have quite a long history of building car and batteries, MG respectively SAIC has been building cars with Volkswagen in China for more than 30 years and also in my opinion transferred a lot of knowledge from Volkswagen to their car manufacturing process.

Neta cars (all of them) I am afraid will facing the same issues as BYD: after years some issues to come such as rust etc... Was interested in Neta S, reviews said built quality is <deleted>. Mostly a poser car because of its outside look and high performance.

Have had an ICE MG for a couple of years now and would have no worries going for the MG4 or even the EP.

Atto 3 sparked my interest, as well as a lot of Thai drivers , but this rust issue is disappointing, no doubt will see some more cases as owners start to investigate.

The Neta U Pro looks okay and hopefully is nicer in the flesh than the Neta V which is very basic.

I have a few months before I decide, waiting on some finances to resolve themselves, so maybe a visit to the Motorshow is on the cards.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, In the jungle said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2shibi6T5mc

An interesting video from the Electric Viking on rust problems with the BYD Atto 3.

For now this is enough for me to cross all BYD cars off the list as it seems to be due to a fundamental flaw in their build process.

"youtuber" are talking a lot, so I'd be more cautious about a conlusion. we don't know the true circumstances. this story will hopefully be updated and clarified further.

2023_02_28.png

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, motdaeng said:

"youtuber" are talking a lot, so I'd be more cautious about a conlusion. we don't know the true circumstances. this story will hopefully be updated and clarified further.

2023_02_28.png

Yes, I read the initial post on FB ( BYD Atto 3 Australia group I believe ) and there was no mention of the car “ landing in the sea “ although there was mention of it being “ salvaged “ ( whether that means in a breakers yard or just being repaired not sure, the English used in the initial post was presumably a second language ).

Currently defenders are saying it had crashed and left open to the elements for some time ( car apparently 8 months old with 1100 miles on the clock ) while others are cancelling orders and quoting “ Chinese manufacturing “ as the culprit.

As is the norm with social media the truth is buried deep among the stories on both sides.

One would have to imagine owners having rust checks on their own cars done but as yet i don’t see any other cases.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/2/2023 at 10:29 AM, Bandersnatch said:

Tesla Investor Day

No great revelations but something that caught my attention was in the Q+A a question about Bi-Directional Charging:

Tesla’s senior vice president in powertrain and energy engineering, Drew Baglino:

“Bidirectional… it wasn’t like a conscious decision to not do it; it just wasn’t a priority at the time"

“And so, we are in the middle of a kind of power electronics retool I would say that would bring that functionality to all of our vehicles over the next two years.

Most of the value comes in charging the car at the right time. It’s not really about sending the energy the other way [to the home].”

Elon Musk; 

“I don’t think very many people are going to use bidirectional charging, unless you have a Powerwall, because, if you unplug your car, your house goes dark and this is extremely inconvenient"

My take:

I agree that V2L makes more sense if you have solar and home batteries, because you are trying to run the whole house from the car, just topping up the house batteries on days when solar production is limited.

This was something I did miss when I watched the presentation:

Edited by Bandersnatch
  • Thumbs Up 1

Toyota take another crack at an EV after the poor reception given to the bZ4x

https://electrek.co/2023/03/03/first-toyota-bz3-ev-co-developed-with-byd-rolls-off-the-line/?fbclid=IwAR0GIFp4zkda6cP4Yuwj4mrmU1iAPeRTG0NWSd4uVrcWveLcrJbe5q1mXdA

An interesting joint venture.

No mention of a RHD version but let’s see how it turns out first.

• Thanks 2

I had a test drive yesterday with the MG4. Confirmed or surpassed my expectations from reviews and YT videos. 

To me, it is a car you sit in and feel comfortable and welcoming immediately.

It starts with adjusting your seats, the steering wheel and mirrors which are not much different from a ten or 15 year old ICE car. 

The both screens are easy to read and understand. The power in standard mode is more than sufficient for me. Suspension is sporty and stiff but not uncomfortable.

The driver assist systems work well, only the lane keeping function could be improved.

At this test driving car, the voice assist was set in Thai language and sales didn't know how to change it. But English should be at least offered as second language besides Thai.

The speed and reaction of the screen is impressive. However searching for address on the navigation system (1:1 copy of google maps) is bad. This has to do with the known problem of google maps having many business listed in Thai script. However, the MG4 has standard Apple Car Play and Android Auto to connect with your smartphone.

One thing that irritated me with the physical home buttons for the screen (1x below and 1x on the steering wheel) is that it leads you the the actual settings screen and not to the home screen. (Compare to Android home button vs. open app drawer).

Slight criticism also for the arrangement of the air vents, especially the side ones. They are too low and blow directly on your hands, but not on your body or just into the car interior.

Without going into a full review, just giving some differences that I noticed from the MG4 Thailand model and the European version:

• There is no orange body color available
  • The vents at the front grill have no automatic closing function (EU version close automatically depending on speed and battery temperature)
  • The trunk has no storage space under the compartment for a charging adapter or additional storage room. The side pockets are also not as deep as EU version
  • The left favorite button on the steering wheel can't be assigned to change driving modes. Instead you have to go into the menu on the main screen. This could be subject to software update / pre-production car for test drive.
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, CLW said:

I had a test drive yesterday with the MG4. Confirmed or surpassed my expectations from reviews and YT videos. 

To me, it is a car you sit in and feel comfortable and welcoming immediately.

It starts with adjusting your seats, the steering wheel and mirrors which are not much different from a ten or 15 year old ICE car. 

The both screens are easy to read and understand. The power in standard mode is more than sufficient for me. Suspension is sporty and stiff but not uncomfortable.

The driver assist systems work well, only the lane keeping function could be improved.

At this test driving car, the voice assist was set in Thai language and sales didn't know how to change it. But English should be at least offered as second language besides Thai.

The speed and reaction of the screen is impressive. However searching for address on the navigation system (1:1 copy of google maps) is bad. This has to do with the known problem of google maps having many business listed in Thai script. However, the MG4 has standard Apple Car Play and Android Auto to connect with your smartphone.

One thing that irritated me with the physical home buttons for the screen (1x below and 1x on the steering wheel) is that it leads you the the actual settings screen and not to the home screen. (Compare to Android home button vs. open app drawer).

Slight criticism also for the arrangement of the air vents, especially the side ones. They are too low and blow directly on your hands, but not on your body or just into the car interior.

Without going into a full review, just giving some differences that I noticed from the MG4 Thailand model and the European version:

• There is no orange body color available
  • The vents at the front grill have no automatic closing function (EU version close automatically depending on speed and battery temperature)
  • The trunk has no storage space under the compartment for a charging adapter or additional storage room. The side pockets are also not as deep as EU version
  • The left favorite button on the steering wheel can't be assigned to change driving modes. Instead you have to go into the menu on the main screen. This could be subject to software update / pre-production car for test drive.

So are you going to buy one? 

8 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

So are you going to buy one? 

Most likely yes. The price (or lets say what you get for it) is just unbeatable.

Was thinking of Atto 3 but higher price, SUV design and the interior set me off.

My favorite still the BYD Seal, for that I would pay more. But given no timeline and probably not coming to Thailand within this year I think the MG 4 will it be.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, CLW said:

Most likely yes. The price (or lets say what you get for it) is just unbeatable.

Was thinking of Atto 3 but higher price, SUV design and the interior set me off.

My favorite still the BYD Seal, for that I would pay more. But given no timeline and probably not coming to Thailand within this year I think the MG 4 will it be.

There is some discussion on facebook that indicate they Byd will reserve the name seal only for China and overseas markets it will be named atto 4

There are some rumors that the 1st Byd sedan to enter Thailand will be the Byd Han

MG will be launching the MG EP 2023 facelift at the motorshow known as MG5 in the UK which is an estate car

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, vinny41 said:

There is some discussion on facebook that indicate they Byd will reserve the name seal only for China and overseas markets it will be named atto 4

There are some rumors that the 1st Byd sedan to enter Thailand will be the Byd Han

MG will be launching the MG EP 2023 facelift at the motorshow known as MG5 in the UK which is an estate car

BYD Han will easily cost over 1 million THB, not within my budget range. 

MG5 being an estate car not interesting for me. AFAIK also not a dedicated EV platform like the MG 4 

I haven't read the whole thread but have a question.

When you buy a new EV is there anything in the contract about IP from the car manufacturer?

Like does it have to be serviced at authorized dealers for the life of the vehicle.

22 minutes ago, CLW said:

MG5 being an estate car not interesting for me. AFAIK also not a dedicated EV platform like the MG 4 

The MG EP is quite nice, though the wife got use to the higher seating position of the ZS (SUV), so scratched that, and just got the EV version of ZS we already had.

Be interesting if just a cosmetic 'facelift' for EP/MG5, or specs change a bit, larger battery for TH.

Thais not being the extreme O&A crowd, and 50 ish kWh battery seems to be sufficient for the Bkk weekenders, headed toward Patts, Hua Hin, Khao Yai or Kanchanaburi.

6 minutes ago, farmerjo said:

When you buy a new EV is there anything in the contract about IP from the car manufacturer?

Like does it have to be serviced at authorized dealers for the life of the vehicle.

I think most require that, while under warranty.   I asked about oil changes for the MG ZS ICE, and told only the dealer can do while under warranty.   Not sure how true, but since labor was free, and price about the same as 'quik' shops, then I didn't care.  Oil & filters didn't seem that much cheaper elsewhere, and I'm too lazy now to even do oil changes.

Not a fan of changing every 10k kms, as a bit of a scam, but to keep warranty valid, oh well.

EV solved that, although they also 'need' regular 'inspection', yet another scam.   At least much less cost than oil changes & tune ups.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, farmerjo said:

not for the life of the vehicle, but if you want to retain the warranty then yes, it has to be serviced by authorized centers

If they want to retain such rights, the only way they can enforce that is by leasing out the vehicle/battery only and never letting you 'own' your own car

Even for ICE cars, Thailand don't have provision for you to change oil by competent person such as yourself or outside garage and the Manufacturers still honoring their warranty when something big like engine blows up

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CLW said:

Looking at Chinese prices there is very little difference in pricing between Han EV and Seal EV for pricing lower than the current 1 Million for atto 3  that might happen if Dolphin or Seagull ( both hatchbacks ) are released in Thailand

https://inf.news/en/auto/48f5fedf3d8ad99c2c4a11625690beea.html

Edited by vinny41

21 hours ago, vinny41 said:

Looking at Chinese prices there is very little difference in pricing between Han EV and Seal EV for pricing lower than the current 1 Million for atto 3  that might happen if Dolphin or Seagull ( both hatchbacks ) are released in Thailand

https://inf.news/en/auto/48f5fedf3d8ad99c2c4a11625690beea.html

Not sure if I wanted the Han instead of the Seal. Boring design and probably geared more towards comfort than sporty driving. Might go ahead with the MG 4. Fits my situation better in many aspects 

• Like 1