Electric Vehicles in Thailand

On 1/15/2023 at 12:48 PM, Andrew Dwyer said:

So it looks like i am on a 15/45 meter , what would be required, if anything, to get suitable for an EV in-house charging on a 7kw charger ?

This wont work. 7000/230 = 30.5 Amp. A 3.7 Kw charger would look better on your supply.

If you are charging on the grid only, it might behoove you to have the TOU meter installed to get lower rates at night, possibly also a higher supply rating.

As much as I despise Zuck's spy app, here in Thailand it is probably the best place to get a good overview of how to proceed with your project. (e.g. here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2389905174463399 )

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/15/2023 at 12:48 PM, Andrew Dwyer said:

So it looks like i am on a 15/45 meter , what would be required, if anything, to get suitable for an EV in-house charging on a 7kw charger ?

It all depends on how strong your supply is, even upgrading to a 30/100 meter will also depend on this.  Some companies won't fit wall chargers on a 15/45 amp supply.  My advice would be to get an electrician to fit an industrial 32 amp blue socket where you want the charger (40 amp circuit breaker) and fit the wall charger yourself with a 32 amp blue plug.  Don't use a 32 amp citcuit breaker on a 7kw charger, it will trip after an hour.

You can draw about 80amps continuously on a 15/45 meter, but it's only calibrated for between 15 & 45 amps and will blow the internal fuse at about 100-120 amps.  I also have a 15/45 amp meter in Chiang Rai but we are on a weak supply and I get a substantial voltage drop if I draw 5 or 6Kw, typically down to 180v, but I also have solar and if the sun is shining then I have little problem.

We are 200-300 metres from the transformer which is fused at 100 amps per phase.  We used to have the entire development of 6 large villas all on one phase.  One night we blew the fuse at the transformer, PEA sent out a truck and they sat there replacing fuses every 15 minutes so they brought 3 phase here and now we only have 2 houses per phase.  We still have problems sometimes on very hot evenings.  They said they would fit a larger transformer, but we're still waiting.

• Thumbs Up 1

So, if my supply is adequate ( guess I would need PEA to check that ) i could get an additional meter ( a TOU ) fitted to charge the EV via a breaker and the supplied 7kw charger ?

Alternatively I would need a higher rate of supply ? a 30/100 ?

Or a 3.7 kw charger which would increase my charging time a lot and probably means I run into peak times ?

All this is based on a 60 kWh EV if that helps.

Obviously electricity is not my forte , please be gentle ????

10 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

So, if my supply is adequate ( guess I would need PEA to check that ) i could get an additional meter ( a TOU ) fitted to charge the EV via a breaker and the supplied 7kw charger ?

Or a 3.7 kw charger which would increase my charging time a lot and probably means I run into peak times ?

You can check your supply by buying a plug in meter (a couple of hundred baht on Lazada), then drawing a lot of power and see how much the voltage drops.  If you have instantaeous showers, turn them on, air-conditioning on coldest etc, you can keep a rough tally of the load, air conditioning is roughly 1 kw per 10,000 BTU, electric oven 2.3Kw microwave & kettle  1.5kw.  If you can draw 5 or 6 kw without the voltage dropping too low, you're probably ok.  Simply changing the meter for a 30/100 amp unit won't increase the strength of your supply, however, if PEA are doing their job properly, they should refuse to supply that meter if the supply is weak, but I wouldn't bet on it.  9 years ago they refused me a 30/100 meter but after another 5 large villas were built using the same phase, they gave a Thai guy with a smaller mew house said meter on the same phase.

An additional TOU meter makes a lot of sense if you strong power, don't have solar, and only charge your car overnight, as does installing a 6Kw grid-tied solar system and charging when the sun is out whether your power is weak or strong.  If you have weak power, charge your car slowly with a granny or switchable charger.

Whatever you do, you're probably going to want a 40 amp breaker fitting for your charger, I prefer to have blue 32 amp plugs and sockets between the breaker and charger, the charger is then not a permanent installation and any electrician will fit it, you can even buy the switchable chargers pre-fitted with a blue 32 amp plug, I bought 2 of them.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Not exactly - the TOU for EV charging comes with an additional and properly sized set of supply wires directly from the PEA/MEA pole. They like to balance the draw on the grid also.

Do you live in a rural area with limited grid facilities?

mainevcharger.jpg

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, mistral53 said:

Not exactly - the TOU for EV charging comes with an additional and properly sized set of supply wires directly from the PEA/MEA pole. They like to balance the draw on the grid also.

Do you live in a rural area with limited grid facilities?

mainevcharger.jpg

No, I’m in a medium sized moobahn right at the end of a small sub soi .

On 1/21/2023 at 3:19 PM, GroveHillWanderer said:

It is a lot - but the findings of that article are simply not applicable to Thailand. As the article states, fully 70% of those switching did so because of the horribly slow speed of charging at home using a standard US 120 volt domestic electrical outlet.  

Firstly, as far as I'm aware, most (if not all) EV manufacturers here offer wall charger installation and even if someone here were using just a normal power outlet, they still wouldn't have the main problem that caused all those US drivers to switch. That's because the standard voltage here would charge their vehicles at something approaching 5 times faster than US voltage, based on the figures in the article below. Dedicated wall chargers are even quicker, of course.

All about EV Charging

Meh.........charging speed at home is mostly a function of the on-board charger of the car, not the output of the wall charger. Granted, on-board chargers are getting more powerful in newer models, but AC charging simply is far slower than public fast chargers (DC chargers)

To your point about US vs Thailand - worst case would be 50% slower in the US compared to Thailand using the 120V vs. 240V supply voltage. But that is mostly not the case since 240V is readily available in the US as well.

On 1/16/2023 at 9:29 PM, Andrew Dwyer said:

in Bangkok the provider (MEA) will only provide second meter to be TOU if your existing house is already on TOU or want to switch to TOU which could be more expensive if you live in the house during weekdays,

(in this case the 2nd meter is for when you don't want to touch the existing house wiring to upgrade the meter to higher rating in case they don't pass inspection, the company only need to see the wiring of the new supply and leave the existing house wiring alone) if your supply and wiring is already adequate, just run a wire from your existing consumer unit (breaker box)

Outside of Bangkok PEA will happily let you have just the 2nd meter be  TOU 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, mistral53 said:

Meh.........charging speed at home is mostly a function of the on-board charger of the car, not the output of the wall charger. Granted, on-board chargers are getting more powerful in newer models, but AC charging simply is far slower than public fast chargers (DC chargers)

To your point about US vs Thailand - worst case would be 50% slower in the US compared to Thailand using the 120V vs. 240V supply voltage. But that is mostly not the case since 240V is readily available in the US as well.

Yes, everyone has 220v in their houses at the USA.  Every house I've lived in had, as a necessity.   Needed for some appliances (oven, larger ACs), so the argument is fairly mute.

Taking the MGs as an example, is it that hard to simply charge overnight while sleeping, using the 'free, installed' power line, and if a TOU meter, at almost half the price of prime time electric.  50kW X 2.6 (?) = 130 ish baht. 

Next silly argument ... 

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Yes, everyone has 220v in their houses at the USA.  Every house I've lived in had, as a necessity.   Needed for some appliances (oven, larger ACs), so the argument is fairly mute.

While far and away most, (not all) homes in the US have 220V to service HVAC, dryers, ovens and whatnot, very few have extra 220V circuits and very few over twenty years old have 220V in the garage or carport, unless the dryer or HVAC in an attached garage. 

Unless upgraded by the homeowner, virtually all detached garages in tract homes have no panel and only two 15-amp circuits, one for lights and one for an outlet. 

15 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

While far and away most, (not all) homes in the US have 220V to service HVAC, dryers, ovens and whatnot, very few have extra 220V circuits and very few over twenty years old have 220V in the garage or carport, unless the dryer or HVAC in an attached garage. 

Unless upgraded by the homeowner, virtually all detached garages in tract homes have no panel and only two 15-amp circuits, one for lights and one for an outlet. 

I'm going to have to call that BS ... IMHO ... as I've never lived in a newer house, all older, and ALL had 220v service. 

My experience anyway, of 45 yrs living in USA, 1954 & onward, last visit in 2006, and as a RE investor ... YMMV

Doesn't take a rocket science to run a line from house to garage.  Most older houses not having, were upgraded decades ago, as electric ovens & ACs became popular.

You can afford an EV in the USA, you're living in a house that has 220v service, along with the 120v krap.

If still using coal of chopping wood to cook, heat the house, maybe not.

Oh yea ... and topic is ... "EVs in TH"

Edited by KhunLA

10 hours ago, KhunLA said:

I'm going to have to call that BS ... IMHO ... as I've never lived in a newer house, all older, and ALL had 220v service. 

Well that certainly proves every home in the US has 220V service. 

My experience anyway, of 45 yrs living in USA, 1954 & onward, last visit in 2006, and as a RE investor ... YMMV

MMDV

Doesn't take a rocket science to run a line from house to garage.

But it does take a bit good bit of money. 

Most older houses not having, were upgraded decades ago, as electric ovens & ACs became popular.

I thought you said they all had 220V, now you're saying most, make up your mind. 

In any event, my point was that most garages do not have 220V, and that most homes do not have an EXTRA 220V circuit. 

You can afford an EV in the USA, you're living in a house that has 220v service, along with the 120v krap.

If still using coal of chopping wood to cook, heat the house, maybe not.

Oh yea ... and topic is ... "EVs in TH"

You brought it up, remember? I was responding to YOU.

More Koolade? 

2 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Well that certainly proves every home in the US has 220V service. 

MMDV

But it does take a bit good bit of money. 

I thought you said they all had 220V, now you're saying most, make up your mind. 

In any event, my point was that most garages do not have 220V, and that most homes do not have an EXTRA 220V circuit. 

You brought it up, remember? I was responding to YOU.

More Koolade? 

I installed a 7Kw EV charger in my garage back in 2015 - run a new circuit directly from the distribution panel into the garage (on the other side of the wall no less) for peanuts, worked like a charm.

Or as they say - where there's a will, there's a 240V circuit..........or something like that.

Just for giggles - the 240V supply in the US is actually more rugged than a standard 240V in Thailand: it is a 3 (+1) circuit wire in the US, vs. the 2 wire (+1) circuit in Thailand.

On 1/23/2023 at 12:31 AM, mistral53 said:

To your point about US vs Thailand - worst case would be 50% slower in the US compared to Thailand using the 120V vs. 240V supply voltage

That's just not true - as the article I linked to earlier clearly and unambiguously states:

The main benefit of a 240V charging station is its greater charging speed, which is three to five times faster than 120V charging.

So the worst case would be 5 times slower, not twice as slow, as you seem to think.

9 hours ago, mistral53 said:

I installed a 7Kw EV charger in my garage back in 2015 - run a new circuit directly from the distribution panel into the garage (on the other side of the wall no less) for peanuts, worked like a charm.

Which proves that it cheap and easy to install a 7Kw charger in virtually every garage in the US? 

9 hours ago, mistral53 said:

Or as they say - where there's a will, there's a 240V circuit..........or something like that.

Just for giggles - the 240V supply in the US is actually more rugged than a standard 240V in Thailand: it is a 3 (+1) circuit wire in the US, vs. the 2 wire (+1) circuit in Thailand.

Not sure what you're on about, but for residential applications: 

Single-phase 220-240 in the US is typically two line and a ground, or two line, a neutral and a ground. 

Single-phase 230 in Thailand is typically one line, one neutral and a ground. 

Two hots in Thailand gives you 400V while in the US you would only (typically) get 220-240

Three hots in Thailand gives you 380V while in the US you would only (typically) get 220-240

On 1/21/2023 at 3:19 PM, GroveHillWanderer said:

t is a lot - but the findings of that article are simply not applicable to Thailand. As the article states, fully 70% of those switching did so because of the horribly slow speed of charging at home using a standard US 120 volt domestic electrical outlet.  

Some of the drawbacks mentioned in the article are not applicable to Thailand.  However, I suspect that all of the drawbacks have not been fully recognized.  Here is one that no one considered when purchasing their Tesla.

image.png.4b400235bf077f43babaa5aaa389c130.png

1 hour ago, Longwood50 said:

Some of the drawbacks mentioned in the article are not applicable to Thailand.  However, I suspect that all of the drawbacks have not been fully recognized.  Here is one that no one considered when purchasing their Tesla.

image.png.4b400235bf077f43babaa5aaa389c130.png

Once again ... nothing to do with "EVs in TH"

Note to self:  don't peek at posts from ignore list 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, motdaeng said:

@Yellowtail

can you please stay on the topic: 

electric vehicles in thailand

thank you!!!

Sure, but when people make bone-headed off-topic claims, why should they go unaddressed?

It seems a little unfair that one (not you) can tell an off-topic lie, and then squeal "off-topic" when they get called on it. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

Sure, but when people make bone-headed off-topic claims, why should they go unaddressed?

It seems a little unfair that one (not you) can tell an off-topic lie, and then squeal "off-topic" when they get called on it. 

why not simply create your own new thread where it

can be debated who is correct and who is incorrect.

instead of countless replies that have nothing to do

with the topic "electric vehicles in thailand"!

thanks, motdaeng

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/23/2023 at 5:36 AM, digbeth said:

in Bangkok the provider (MEA) will only provide second meter to be TOU if your existing house is already on TOU

I posted over on the Alternative/Renewable Energy Forum about combining TOU with a small solar setup. In this scenario you could charge your EV from excess solar in the middle of the day or use TOU overnight.

20 hours ago, motdaeng said:

why not simply create your own new thread where it

can be debated who is correct and who is incorrect.

instead of countless replies that have nothing to do

with the topic "electric vehicles in thailand"!

thanks, motdaeng

Are they different in Thailand...?

19 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Is it correct that there’s a 300 baht monthly charge, irrespective of usage, on a TOU meter ??

Or to put it another way, going by this photo if I use the TOU meter only for charging an EV at 7 kWh will i be on the lower tariff or the higher ? ( the below 12 kV is confusing me )

3FBF3FAE-A50B-4B9F-B8A6-32A39661FB38.thumb.jpeg.47e479cc0b89e0a79abe7e4bd1704527.jpeg

Also, I am on PEA if that makes any difference .

Edited by Andrew Dwyer
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Is it correct that there’s a 300 baht monthly charge, irrespective of usage, on a TOU meter ??

I believe above 12 kV is commercial. That’s what I remember when this was discussed in the electrical forum

Edited by Bandersnatch
  • Thumbs Up 1