Help please - Visa options

Im sorry if this info is available elsewhere on this site, but i cant see it and my head is mush after trawlling the web all day. My situation is i'm in Udon Thani and have a non O Multiple entry visa, due to marriage. I have extended my 1st Entry and my 90 days, plus 60, is up in 6 days. The usual crossing to Loas is not available, obviously. 

So i thought about changing it to a marriage visa but i do not have a Thai bank account, other than an old Bangkok Bank account that i havent used for 20 years or so, which will be defunct. Next step, I contacted a Visa Agent here in Udon (PDC) thinking they could get round the bank issue, as was suggested on their website. The lady who answered said that a marriage visa was very difficult and needed many documents. I got the impression she didnt want my business so ended the call. Two minutes later she rings back to ask how old I am, Im 52, she says " why dont you get a retirement visa" which is something i had not considered. But again there is the issue of the bank account. She tells me it has to be Bangkok Bank and its easy to open, plus the visa is much cheaper. Before I got marrried, about 9 years ago, I tried to get a bank account at Bangkok Bank and was refused because I didnt have a house book in my name. Its all in the wifes name.

I dont know how long I want to stay or if I will ever go back to work. I also do not have a return ticket. If I do go back to the UK at any time, does having a retirement visa previously effect any new visa application ?

I dont have any confidence in what the agent is telling me. If anyone could offer any advice it would be appreciated. Thank You.

6 minutes ago, Oldterrier said:

I dont have any confidence in what the agent is telling me. If anyone could offer any advice it would be appreciated

Obtain a 60 day extension to visit wife. 

You won't have enough time to season funds in bank. 

Use agent to get around the financial requirements.

The agents can also obtain bank account. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

Make a trip to Cambodia and come back. Cambodia is open now. I don't understand why people lack skill to write a succinct head line for a topic. 

I hadnt even considered that. How quick turnaround would it need to get the new Thailand pass etc ? 

I did think that about the title, sorry, but couldnt think of anything concise enough. If that is what you meant, as I dont know what succinct means unfortunatly.

go to the bank
deposit 1000 baht and your account will be active again
not 20 years but i recently reactivated an account i had not used for 12 years

when i went in for a new card/book etc
she had to find my original paperwork from when i opened
took her about an hour
as my passport was obviously different

Open a bank account pronto! Try Kasikornbank or SCB as well. Can't believe you have spent all these years without a Thai bank account.

If you can't do it yourself, I believe some Agents offer the service.

PS' Why does it have to be Bangkok Bank?? I am mystified!

Edited by Chris.B
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, patman30 said:

go to the bank
deposit 1000 baht and your account will be active again
not 20 years but i recently reactivated an account i had not used for 12 years

when i went in for a new card/book etc
she had to find my original paperwork from when i opened
took her about an hour
as my passport was obviously different

The bank account is not the main problem. An agent can open an account easily.

The issues is to obtain an extension and that would require funds in the bank for 2 months.

He can use an agent and would be best to obtain extension based on retirement.

He still has time to exit Thailand and return however has left it very late. From the OP.....

"I have extended my 1st Entry and my 90 days, plus 60, is up in 6 days"

4 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

Open a bank account pronto

Even if he has a bank account he does not have time to season funds. 2 months. 

He either exits Thailand and reenter or use an agent for extension retirement. 

• Sad 1

I dont understand why she wants me to open an account now and why it has to be Bangkok bank. I will call in the office tomorrow and speak to them face to face. If i dont get anywhere then It will be plan a trip to Cambodia quickly. That would probably make sence as i wouldnt need another visa, just use my multi entry. All i would need is a new Thailand Pass and a SHA Hotel on return.

10 minutes ago, Oldterrier said:

I dont understand why she wants me to open an account now and why it has to be Bangkok bank. I will call in the office tomorrow and speak to them face to face. If i dont get anywhere then It will be plan a trip to Cambodia quickly. That would probably make sence as i wouldnt need another visa, just use my multi entry. All i would need is a new Thailand Pass and a SHA Hotel on return.

Yes that's a possibility.

However if your plan is to get out of dodge then you need to act quickly. 

There is a good thread of recent visa run to Phnom Penh.

Since you have a ME Visa you can basically reenter straight away.

Of course you will need TP etc.

Assume your vaccinated.

Forget questions about why agent suggests Bangkok Bank.

Most use that bank.

If you end up with agent for extension retirement then with also bank account expect to pay approx 25k.

Probably the most simple option. 

• Sad 1

Agents usually open a bank account for retirement visa if a client  does not have one. I had two. I emptied one and gave the book to the agent. Not sure how much they will charge extra if one does not have a bank account. may be a few thousands. I opened the new account in Krung Thai bank (in Pattaya Central mall) with my passport (passport must have a Non-O visa) pre-covid at the end of 2019. Not sure the situation now. 

Edited by Onerak

9 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Yes that's a possibility.

However if your plan is to get out of dodge then you need to act quickly. 

There is a good thread of recent visa run to Phnom Penh.

Since you have a ME Visa you can basically reenter straight away.

Of course you will need TP etc.

Assume your vaccinated.

Why do i need to be in such a hurry ? I was thinking, fly down to bkk next tue/wed then transit to Siem Riep, I dont fancy PP. Then leisurely book my return and TP, SHA etc whilst relaxing in a nice hotel. Ive calmed down now after a couple of Singha's.The less stress the better. 25K to the agent is making this option sound more appealing. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Oldterrier said:

Why do i need to be in such a hurry ?

Perhaps I'm bit of worry wort.

You have 6 days? 

Yes as stated easy for you as you have a visa for return and don't need a reentry permit. 

Good luck. You have couple of options. 

Some folk even organize TP prior to exit from Thailand..

14 minutes ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

For TP, you also need a covid insurance for 30-day and they usually are less than one thousand baht. 

Yes, i still have that. I've entered 3 times since TP came in so im ok with that. Just looking at hotels, might be a nice little trip. I think Im decided now, I would rather spend money myself then hand it to an agent. And, my visa still has 7 months left, so i can go back to trips over to Loas, I can be there and back in a couple of hours. 

Thanks for help guys. I will get a bank account sorted when i get back.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Oldterrier said:

Because Bangkok Bank is the bank that PDC uses and the funding bit is all done virtually instantaneously via the Bangkok Bank PromptPay app on your smartphone.*

Due to the additional paperwork and the need for secondary approvals, marriage extensions are more difficult and thus more expensive for agents to assist with. That's why PDC recommend the Retirement extension.

With 6 days remaining on your current permission to stay and a weekend coming up, your path of least resistance is using PDC. However, if you pull your finger out, you can still do a Cambodia trip.

*You'll need a smartphone.

Good luck.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Chris.B said:

I have been hearing that agents processing extensions in Jomtien are now very picky about the bank account. They want you to have a Bangkok Bank account from a branch in Chonburi province (Pattaya and Jomtien obviously OK). I assume this is because they need their bank contacts to be able to massage the paperwork appropriately. I do not know if all Pattaya agents need this, and it does not seem to apply when agents are processing extensions elsewhere.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Chris.B said:
4 hours ago, BritTim said:

I have been hearing that agents processing extensions in Jomtien are now very picky about the bank account. They want you to have a Bangkok Bank account from a branch in Chonburi province (Pattaya and Jomtien obviously OK). I assume this is because they need their bank contacts to be able to massage the paperwork appropriately. I do not know if all Pattaya agents need this, and it does not seem to apply when agents are processing extensions elsewhere.

I think it can be in any province as far as an agent is concerned as to why BKB? Last time I looked on Google maps it is next door to Jomtian immigration, but that is not so for other provinces ?? 

To open an Account in your name, take your wife along with your marriage cert, house book and ID it seem to help. 

The crossing to Vientiane at Nong Khai is open but the last I read you have to enter with a tour group, Check with a travel agency in Udon about it. You need to be fully vaccinated and have a current RT-PCR test. There is info in this topic but it is little out of date since the bridge is open now. https://aseannow.com/topic/1222117-travel-restrictions-and-entry-requirements-for-laos-during-covid-19/?do=findComment&comment=17245569

To return you will need a Thailand Pass and $20,000 of medical certificate.

Not a easy option but better than anything else at this time.

5 hours ago, Mikeheo said:

Agent was talking rubbish about the marriage Visa, there are so many who will do it without proof of funds currently for about 30-35k, but you will need a bank account

Someone would only have agent obtain extension based on marriage if they were under 50.

The OP is over 50 so every agent would suggest extension based on retirement.

Will be cheaper and far more simple.  

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, Mikeheo said:

Agent was talking rubbish about the marriage Visa, there are so many who will do it without proof of funds currently for about 30-35k, but you will need a bank account

The agents don't get to chose if they can process a "marriage visa". The immigration office dictates what they will permit and as far as THIS thread is concerned about PDC and Udon Thani immigration office, they won't process a "marriage Visa".

Having said that, if a customer persisted, or had no alternatives and was willing to pay much more, then it is conceivable that they may issue a "marriage Visa". However, right now and as the OP attests, it is not an option with PDC in Udon Thani.

Your experience and that of others using other agents and immigration offices will vary because this is Thailand, or

YMMV

TiT

20 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

The bank account is not the main problem. An agent can open an account easily.

The issues is to obtain an extension and that would require funds in the bank for 2 months.

He can use an agent and would be best to obtain extension based on retirement.

He still has time to exit Thailand and return however has left it very late. From the OP.....

"I have extended my 1st Entry and my 90 days, plus 60, is up in 6 days"

We don't know if his 60 days is a covid extension or 60 days to visit  wife. If it  was a covid extension he could get 60 days to visit his wife and season the money.

20 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

We don't know if his 60 days is a covid extension or 60 days to visit  wife. If it  was a covid extension he could get 60 days to visit his wife and season the money.

He has used 60 to visit wife also he entered on a non O so he will not be able to obtain covid extension. 

Edited by DrJack54

21 hours ago, Oldterrier said:

I hadnt even considered that. How quick turnaround would it need to get the new Thailand pass etc ? 

I did think that about the title, sorry, but couldnt think of anything concise enough. If that is what you meant, as I dont know what succinct means unfortunatly.

you need to spend a week in cambodia. my friend just done it, applied on monday and got it on friday. No restrictions entering cambodia just hotel booking and fully vaccinated is enough. Only thing is cambodia will give you 90 days visa (single entry) not multi. keep this in your mind. This might give you some time to think your next step. you need, marriage certificate / wife ID / wife house book / letter from your wife / 80usd / bank letter (this is just to show you have a bank account)

Also most most likely there will be no PCR test or thailand pass anymore from 1 May. so if you can wait for it. 

For retirement visa or marriage extension visa, if you need an agent contact me, i can give you details who i used for 2 years. retirement will be cheaper.

good luck

Edited by problemfarang

19 hours ago, Oldterrier said:

Why do i need to be in such a hurry ? I was thinking, fly down to bkk next tue/wed then transit to Siem Riep, I dont fancy PP

I'm not aware of direct flights Bangkok to Siem Reap currently available. 

Might need to consider Phnom Penh.