Long Covid: Little Is Known

webfact

1 hour ago, BusyB said:

I know someone with long covid - it's compromising her ability to work in a country which has no sick pay and no unemployment benefit system. As a single mother it could see her on the streets if she can no longer pay the rent. She's worked hard all her life.

It's real, it ain't funny, and it's not the flu.

And it's a lot smarter than some posters on these threads.

Was she vax'd ?

If so, before or after infected with virus ?

Edited by KhunLA

"A Covid patient battled the same infection for nearly 18 months, in what is believed to be the world's longest known continuous case. 

Scientists say the unidentified British patient — who eventually died — was severely immunocompromised."

I cannot imagine what this poor guy went through before he died...  My experience lasted only about 7 days and another 7 days of a lingering sore throat.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So how about my friend who has long COVID for just over a year now? Basically having to relearn all kinds of basic stuff, unable to get out of bed many days, minor setbacks that take weeks to recover from. She faking it? Why? 

Yes, she was unvaccinated having caught it in one of the early waves before the vaccines were widely available. No she was not antivax. Her life has fundamentally changed and will never be like it was before.

• Like 1

Some better info on the "Long COVID" pandemic:

Global data reveal half may have long COVID 4 months on

Apr 18, 2022

"Worldwide, 49% of COVID-19 survivors reported persistent symptoms 4 months after diagnosis, estimates a meta-analysis of 31 studies published late last week in The Journal of Infectious Diseases.

Worldwide, estimated prevalence of long COVID was 37% (95% CI, 26% to 49%) 1 month after diagnosis, 25% (95% CI, 15% to 38%) at 2 months, 32% (95% CI, 14% to 57%) at 3 months, and 49% (95% CI, 40% to 59%) at 4 months.

The most common symptoms were fatigue (23%), followed by memory problems (14%), shortness of breath (13%), sleep problems (11%), and joint pain (10%)."

(more)

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2022/04/global-data-reveal-half-may-have-long-covid-4-months

AND

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

The hidden long-term cognitive effects of COVID-19

However, new research is now suggesting that there may be long-term neurologic consequences in those who survive COVID infections, including more than seven million Americans and another 27 million people worldwide.

Particularly troubling is increasing evidence that there may be mild — but very real — brain damage that occurs in many survivors, causing pervasive yet subtle cognitive, behavioral, and psychological problems.

There is one inevitable conclusion from these studies: COVID infection frequently leads to brain damage — particularly in those over 70. While sometimes the brain damage is obvious and leads to major cognitive impairment, more frequently the damage is mild, leading to difficulties with sustained attention."

(more)

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/the-hidden-long-term-cognitive-effects-of-covid-2020100821133

What doctors wish patients knew about long COVID

"It is estimated that anywhere from 10% to 30% of patients might experience long COVID after recovering—even if they weren’t very sick in the first place.

“There's a whole slew of symptoms affecting a variety of organ systems,” Dr. Sanghavi said. “No organ system is spared from long COVID, just like how COVID affects all these organ systems during acute illness.”

Vaccination can prevent long COVID

Dr. Sanghavi:  “What is reassuring is that patients who were vaccinated, in those rare instances where they got a breakthrough infection those patients are 50% less likely to develop long COVID or post COVID syndrome.”

(more)

https://www.ama-assn.org/delivering-care/public-health/what-doctors-wish-patients-knew-about-long-covid

• Like 1

A 32 years old guy in my cycling team caught COVID early on before vaccines were available, while he’s back cycling again he’s still not recovered to anywhere near his former fitness and has had to retire from racing.

He rides at least 4 days a week and has for a number of years recorded his ride data on STRAVA.

All his data, speed, power, heart rate and times over measured distances are shot through, he is a shadow of the athlete he was before COVID.

• Sad 1

On 4/23/2022 at 3:13 PM, Lacessit said:

My understanding from Australian data is "long COVID" affects 10-15% of people, and disproportionally affects the unvaccinated.

The main symptom seems to be excessive fatigue, which clears up in 3-6 months for most.

I have a friend here who contracted COVID, unvaccinated. His fatigue lasted about 2 months, he still admits to having concentration problems 6 months afterwards.

I was vaccinated twice before getting COVID, cleared in 3 days. Most vulnerable age group. The only after-effect I have is an increasing lack of patience with the beliefs of anti-vaxxers.

I have a friend who's "infection" was minor to the point of almost passing unnoticed, but he has some effect of "long covid" that is just getting tired more easily than before.

He was double vaxxed, but not yet due for the booster.

• Haha 1

On 4/25/2022 at 7:04 AM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The hidden long-term cognitive effects of COVID-19

However, new research is now suggesting that there may be long-term neurologic consequences in those who survive COVID infections, including more than seven million Americans and another 27 million people worldwide.

Particularly troubling is increasing evidence that there may be mild — but very real — brain damage that occurs in many survivors, causing pervasive yet subtle cognitive, behavioral, and psychological problems.

There is one inevitable conclusion from these studies: COVID infection frequently leads to brain damage — particularly in those over 70. While sometimes the brain damage is obvious and leads to major cognitive impairment, more frequently the damage is mild, leading to difficulties with sustained attention."

(more)

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/the-hidden-long-term-cognitive-effects-of-covid-2020100821133

In many over 70s, including myself, some evidence of "brain damage" was evident, even without covid. ????

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...