Angry customer returns after being asked to leave bar - he shoots at staffer but winds up dead himself

webfact

8pm.jpg

Daily News Thai Caption: He died in return fire

A Thai man who was asked to leave a bar in the Orm Noi sub-district of Krathum Baen, Samut Sakhon, returned to confront the staffer after hours.

But the ambush went wrong and he was fatally shot in the head.

Trouble brewed at the Highway 85, a restaurant-cum-bar on Petchkasem Road.

Monthon or "Beer", aged 25, had asked Theerawat, 27, to leave the premises because he was not following the protocols. 

Angry, he returned in the early hours of Monday after the bar shut driven to the scene by a friend in a pick-up.

He ambushed Beer when he came out of the store but missed with a shot from a gun that hit the front of the bar.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

Beer responded by shooting Theerawat in the back of the head with a 9 mm Ruger SR9C.

Theerawat died in hospital.

Police found just bloodstains at the scene and the weapon used by Theerawat that was lying about.

Beer was charged with attempted murder and weapons offences. He denied the first charge saying it was self defence. 

Daily News did not explain why the charge was attempted murder and not murder. 

The suspect was detained.

The victim's father said his son usually just drank locally but had gone further afield after a bender to celebrate an ordination.

He'd come home and his dad begged him not to go out again and to think of his wife and child.

The wife, four months pregnant, said that she had wondered where her husband had got to so called his mobile. 

A nurse picked up at the hospital. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-04-26

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

He'd come home and his dad begged him not to go out again and to think of his wife and child.

Sensible dad.  Unfortunately many see it as reasonable to kill someone simply because they made them face the consequences of their actions.  And they apparently see that as more important than being around to support their wife and raise their child.

Even if he hadn't missed and was still alive, he would be facing at least some time in prison.

1 hour ago, webfact said:

The wife, four months pregnant, said that she had wondered where her husband had got to so called his mobile. 

Definitely worth it for being asked to leave a restaurant...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Unfortunately many see it as reasonable to kill someone simply because they made them face the consequences of their actions.

It was a reasonable kill because I'm assuming that even though he missed there was more than one round in the weapon and more shots would follow.

Maybe they should prosecute the corpse, after all he started it ????

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, alekth85 said:

There are 70 million people living in this country. But I guess why have that stand in a way of good ol thaivisa thai people bashing.

Okay, assuming you aren't American, when did you last read of a bartender and a customer firing guns at each other in your country?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

Read the full story !

Based on your suggestion I did,  as the story goes unless there is another article you read that this one doesn't provide?

It indicated he went home " friend drove him back to the bar "  question if true did the friend who drove him back not know of his intent?

If so where I come from he is an accessory to crime if he knew or a witness. I remarked because there is no mentioned he drop him off and left or stay.  

I think my remark is valid unless you have something else? 

• Like 1

On 4/26/2022 at 5:24 PM, jvs said:

I just try to imagine how you can shoot someone in the back of the head during a gunfight.

When he discovered the other guy could fight back, perhaps his bravado ran out, so he tried to do the same ?