Thailand’s household debt forecast to jump to 95% of GDP this year

snoop1130

000_9WC2PJ.jpg

In this photo taken on January 16, 2022, people eat at roadside food stalls in the Chinatown area of Bangkok. (Photo by Lillian SUWANRUMPHA / AFP)

The average household debt in Thailand has increased 5.09% year on year, to 217,952.59 baht, the highest in 14 years, and this year the debt may reach 95% of the gross domestic product (GDP), according to the forecast of theCentre for Economic and Business Forecasting of the University of the Thai Chamber of Commerce (UTCC).

The centre recently conducted a survey of 1,260 union workers, who each earns less than 15,000 baht a month, between April 18th and 24th, and found out that 99% of them are indebted.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

According to the survey, most are bogged down with credit card and rental debts, because their incomes are insufficient and about 31.5% have defaulted on repayments.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thailands-household-debt-forecast-to-jump-to-95-of-gdp-this-year/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-04-29

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Can people live on 15,000 baht salary? - Apartment: 6,000 baht, food and transportation: 7,500 baht, clothes/household items: 1,500 baht... (A new car, designer clothes, and a new iPhone every 6 months? 

I think they are referencing Thai "Union workers" financial behaviour , not Farang!

Edited by DezLez
  • Sad 2

17 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

All Thais I know are in debt.

Not unusual for them to pay 30 to even 50% on a car payment.  Seems credit checks/restrictions for large purchases are non existent here.

My point, how can banks give car loans to people who only make 12-15,000 baht a month? And structuring loan agreements so that the debtor has to pay 50% of his salary for loan payments is unheard of in other countries.

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

My point, how can banks give car loans to people who only make 12-15,000 baht a month? And structuring loan agreements so that the debtor has to pay 50% of his salary for loan payments is unheard of in other countries.

The answer to your question is - yes.

The response to your comment is  - TIT.

Of course, I didn't figure in online gambling, buying lottery tickets, excessive cosmetic purchases, and expensive holidays. So, am I missing something why Thais constantly have to live beyond their means?

IMHO you're missing quite a lot.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

(...) Young Couple I know recently just bought a small House.

Cost 1,700,000

Bank repayment over 40 years 9,700 Baht per Month = 4,656,000

They are both aged about 35 now, so should be paying back the Money to the age of about 75 (...)

Ridiculous! That shows how inept bank staff is in Thailand! Do they really think that the couple will still work in their job at 75? Thailand's retirement age is 60, and with a good reason, as many at 60 look 'spent'. - A banking crisis in Thailand is IMHO not a question of 'if', but 'when'...

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Ridiculous! That shows how inept bank staff is in Thailand! Do they really think that the couple will still work in their job at 75? Thailand's retirement age is 60, and with a good reason, as many at 60 look 'spent'. - A banking crisis in Thailand is IMHO not a question of 'if', but 'when'...

Oh ! I forgot to mention that the loan was taken out with only a 99 Baht deposit.

And yes, its an insane system that lends on such parameters.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

You are missing the fact that the Banking system is all too readily available for another loan.

Young Couple I know recently just bought a small House.

Cost 1,700,000

Bank repayment over 40 years 9,700 Baht per Month = 4,656,000

They are both aged about 35 now, so should be paying back the Money to the age of about 75.

The problem is, is that they both have fairly decent Jobs that pay fairly good with overtime available most weeks.

In 15 Years or so, if they still work for the same Company, they are likely to be laid off, and replaced with younger staff.

How will they pay the Loan off then ?

Seems expensive, my mortgage was 1.5M on a 1.8M house and the repayments are 9k/month over 27 years.

23 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Living expenses are a lot less of your wage here than in the UK.

So they can lend more of your wage.

Edited by BritManToo

8 hours ago, Isaan sailor said:

Go to any mall in Isaan—any day of the week.  You will see late model cars jammed into the shaded parking areas.  Wife says they’re on credit—both the cars and their mall purchases.

Thailand dont have policy about down payment's when purchase car. Almost whitout any firt deposit you can get brand new car out from shop. Ofcourse whit many picture from dealer ceremony when they give you new car. And if you not pay back they just take car back. And Thailand dont have any kind of credit reference register IMO, where check is that really wise to give somebody credit to buy car. Other hand in Thainland you can deposit 10 million bth cash money in your account and nobody dont ask where the money is from. That is how they supervise black market's money in LOS. Money laundry is easy if you are Thai.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

A Thai friend of mine, 49 yeats old, just got a 4 million 30 year mortgage on a 5 million home. He paid 1 million upfront and borrowed 4m. He's planning to pay back in 10 years, and if not he'll be paying till he is 79. I couldnt believe it, but it really happened. it was asy for him to get a mortgage. Go figure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2 is 1 said:

Thailand dont have policy about down payment's when purchase car. Almost whitout any firt deposit you can get brand new car out from shop. Ofcourse whit many picture from dealer ceremony when they give you new car. And if you not pay back they just take car back. And Thailand dont have any kind of credit reference register IMO, where check is that really wise to give somebody credit to buy car. Other hand in Thainland you can deposit 10 million bth cash money in your account and nobody dont ask where the money is from. That is how they supervise black market's money in LOS. Money laundry is easy if you are Thai.

Nonsense.

Thai lenders always perform credit checks on persons looking for lease finance on vehicles.

• Like 1