agreements to divorce

jastheace

is there any such thing as... ' divorce in principle' or 'seperation agreement' ?

obviously done in Thailand by a Thai lawyer that would be watertight come the time we are able to go to the amphur office together to get it signed officially. i do not plan to return to thailand for at least a few months, probably more, but it seems like circumstances have arisen where we can sort something out now.... at last.....

Divorce very easy, just instruct wife what to say at Amphur during the process. Didn't take more than 10 - 15 minutes in my case. Beforehand put an amount of money in an envelope and tell wife that you will handover when leaving Amphur. (in my case 20k + additional 1k for the lady at the Amphur. 

Important, both parties are willing to get a divorce without any discussions. 

Good luck ????

Edited by PeachCH
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, PeachCH said:

tell wife that you will handover when leaving Amphur. (in my case 20k

My wife told me the story about divorcing her previous farang husband, who decided to trade up to a younger model. She had told him, quite rightly, "Is there any help for my future?" He said well, we'll see.

They went to the amphur to do the papers, after which he simply walked off. Just prior to this, as he was packing papers in his bag, she caught a glimpse of an envelope stuffed with bills. Apparently he was waiting to see if this was a legal requirement, handing over some cash. It wasn't, so he simply kept it. Yet there was the moral obligation of leaving a now older woman without support, high and dry.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Yet there was the moral obligation of leaving a now older woman without support, high and dry.

She would have been entitled to 50% of what they earned while together. When it's over it's over, if the ex doesn't feel a moral obligation then there isn't one. 

I think you can get an agreement signed using a lawyer. While not legally water tight, if bad comes to worse you can use it in court. If you feel now is a good time and possibly have a verbal agreement, then putting it in writing is worthwhile.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, PeachCH said:

Divorce very easy, just instruct wife what to say at Amphur during the process. Didn't take more than 10 - 15 minutes in my case. Beforehand put an amount of money in an envelope and tell wife that you will handover when leaving Amphur. (in my case 20k + additional 1k for the lady at the Amphur. 

Good luck ????

trying to cut a long story short....

i am not in thailand at present. seperated over 10 years ago. wife agreed to divorce eventually 2 years ago. official start of divorce papers sent from UK, but were ignored or hidden by other family member. ideally i wanted to 'buy' this agreement to divorce now, as circumstances are that she needs some money very soon. the circumstances may change when i eventually get to thailand and all cards are off the table. last but not least I DO NOT TRUST HER !!!

your plan would have been my preferred route, alas, i am not there...

12 hours ago, Smithson said:

I think you can get an agreement signed using a lawyer. While not legally water tight, if bad comes to worse you can use it in court. If you feel now is a good time and possibly have a verbal agreement, then putting it in writing is worthwhile.

from my experience in Thailand, i can get a legal document to say that my dog is a parrot... it's how water-tight a seperation agreement or 'divorce in principle' document would be. i suspect not at all, but hoping someone may know different.

10 hours ago, jastheace said:

i am not in thailand at present. seperated over 10 years ago. wife agreed to divorce eventually 2 years ago. official start of divorce papers sent from UK, but were ignored or hidden by other family member. ideally i wanted to 'buy' this agreement to divorce now, as circumstances are that she needs some money very soon. the circumstances may change when i eventually get to thailand and all cards are off the table. last but not least I DO NOT TRUST HER !!!

You sound in a similar position to I was. A signed agreement has some weight, if she takes the cash now then when it runs out she won't have anything for a lawyer. Therefore it would be best if the agreement gave her further assets upon divorce. That way she'd still be keen to follow through. Thais can't plan and love instant gratification.

On 4/30/2022 at 9:35 AM, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

My wife told me the story about divorcing her previous farang husband, who decided to trade up to a younger model. She had told him, quite rightly, "Is there any help for my future?" He said well, we'll see.

They went to the amphur to do the papers, after which he simply walked off. Just prior to this, as he was packing papers in his bag, she caught a glimpse of an envelope stuffed with bills. Apparently he was waiting to see if this was a legal requirement, handing over some cash. It wasn't, so he simply kept it. Yet there was the moral obligation of leaving a now older woman without support, high and dry.

Yea it happens both ways. Some foreigners only see thai woman as petty dols for s.. and that is bad too just like those Thai ladies that see guys for money. Both deserve each other.

10 minutes ago, robblok said:

Yea it happens both ways. Some foreigners only see thai woman as petty dols for s.. and that is bad too just like those Thai ladies that see guys for money. Both deserve each other.

Can you explain to me what else are women good for?

• Sad 2

5 minutes ago, petermik said:

Perhaps you should ask your mother/sister/daughter..........

My mother died before I thought to ask (she lived off my father).

Don't have any sisters.

My daughters are lesbians (not much use for anything).

Back to the OP,

Not sure why guys are so desperate to divorce.

1. If you're already married, another one can't put the squeeze on you.

2. You still have the chance of marriage extensions.

IMHO just stay married, hurts her more than it hurts you.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Confused 1

On 4/30/2022 at 9:35 AM, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

I don't think it's anyone's responsibility that ppl here fail to make enough for a living

21 hours ago, jastheace said:

Why do you need to pay her anything?  If you have children together, that's a different matter but if you don't - either stay married but make sure your will is up to date or go to Thailand and divorce her. If she won't agree to a mutual divorce without payment you would have to apply to a court for a divorce.

If your home country recognises a legally registered Thai marriage, you should be able to divorce your wife at home without your wife being present - depending on your country's laws.  However, you would also be subject to your country's laws on financial settlement.

You don't need to pay the Amphur anything, you will simply be asked if you agree on 3 things:

1. You both agree to divorce.

2. You have agreed maintenance and access arrangements for any children you have together.

3. You have agreed on a financial settlement. This can be noted on the divorce registration or not.

The following is general and 'the norm' but in some circumstances these things can be varied by a court - a pre nup is both legal and recommended in Thailand for this reason.

On 3. above, If either of you own property or hold assets that were purchased after your marriage (sin somros) you are each entitled to 50% of the value in settlement.  Personal assets held prior to marriage (sin suan tua) are protected and not included in a settlement. However, if you can prove that you bought that asset with funds held prior to marriage you may be entitled to keep all that asset's value (this can be difficult to prove though and can get complicated). Assets gifted or willed to either party during the marriage will normally be treated as personal assets (sin suan tua).

When you register a marriage at a Thai Amphur you should be asked if you want to list and personal assets you hold - many choose not to do this but it can help in any later dispute.

There are quite a lot of resources available online that offer more detailed guidance on the above.

• 3 weeks later...

On 4/30/2022 at 10:40 PM, jastheace said:

i am not in thailand at present. seperated over 10 years ago. ..... I DO NOT TRUST HER !!!

Next time you might want to lead with that.  If she isn't ready to agree to divorce, no strings attached, why are you even in contact with her ?

Just ignore her completely.

Edited by KhunLA

On 5/17/2022 at 7:30 AM, KhunLA said:

Next time you might want to lead with that.  If she isn't ready to agree to divorce, no strings attached, why are you even in contact with her ?

Just ignore her completely.

as i said, trying to cut a long story short. it's long, believe me. 

but to answer your question, she is the mother of the 2 children who have stayed with me. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/30/2022 at 1:11 PM, PeachCH said:

Good luck ????

I hope that 1,000 baht for lady at the amphur wasn't for the government official. Giving them a "tip" might lead them to expect a "gratuity" from every farang that comes after.

I guess I was lucky in that I didn't have to bribe my wife to sign the divorce papers. She got more than enough from me over the marriage anyway.

I can't believe that any wife soon to be an ex wife will take instructions on what to say from the soon to be ex husband.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2022 at 3:40 AM, jastheace said:

I believe that after being apart for two years one can apply to a Thai family court for a divorce based on abandonment. No need for ex partner's participation.

Worth checking out if that applies in your case.