Thai Digital Economy and Society Minister urges related authorities to revise e-cigarettes ban in Thailand

webfact

7 hours ago, bstafford214 said:

but keep in mind these e-cigarettes are a healthier choice for people who want to quit inhaling the chemicals that are added to real tobacco

Maybe you should read this before posting things that are not entirely true:

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/wellness-and-prevention/5-truths-you-need-to-know-about-vaping

The global e-cigarette and vape market size was valued at USD 18.13 billion in 2021 and is expected to expand at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 30.0% from 2022 to 2030.”

https://www.grandviewresearch.com/industry-analysis/e-cigarette-vaping-market

This would mean that the global e-cigarette and vape market would have a value of around 150 billion USD in 2030. That is a serious amount of money, and lobbyists would probably pay good money to prevent restrictions or have current restrictions lifted.
So my question would be how much money has been thrown at the Thai Digital Economy and Society Minister (and his underlings) to come up with this call to revise the e-cigarette ban in Thailand. I for one would be very interested to know, but I’m afraid I already know the answer.

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Like what one finds in real cigarettes? 

To be honest, so long as only the user takes the risk, and there is no risk to non-users, we may be on a winner!

Common way to point to others. 

We are only talking about eCigarettes, isn't it?

And it's not about to take your own personal risk but exploiting health systems.

4 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Well you're the one who compared smoking to driving...

So right outside a school, a hospital, a shopping mall, a petrol station?

There's a reason we have rules. 

Give it a break I didn't compare a car license to smoking It is Driving a car that's the Danger .

as for smoking outside that's fine . End of Rant.

12 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

What about the none smokers?? these e-cigarettes are terrible with the amount of pollution that comes out of them and are offensive to the extreme for none smokers 

Use non Smoker Restaurants or what else. As alternative don't breath, Schmock????

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

What about the none smokers?? these e-cigarettes are terrible with the amount of pollution that comes out of them and are offensive to the extreme for none smokers 

No Pollution comes out learn your facts its water vaper I do agree that it can be offensives having vapors blown in your face but better than normal acrid cigarettes' 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

Nothing to do with the digital ministry. This is a health issue and these ‘digital’ cigarettes are harmful and encourage new smokers. For once Thailand did something sensible by banning this rubbish.

but kratom and cannabis is ok what you on about ? 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bstafford214 said:

I will have to say for me. this is not the case as you make it out to be, and you should not include the plural non-smokers. This seems to be your opinion for yourself and you can't speak for all of us non-smokers that it is offensive to the extreme. I am an ex-smoker and now find myself being extremely offended when a tobacco smokers blow their smoke towards my face. I don't mind the e-cigarette smokers so much, but keep in mind these e-cigarettes are a healthier choice for people who want to quit inhaling the chemicals that are added to real tobacco.  

well said over 4000 chemicals i 1 cigarette  only vg. pg. food flavor and nicotine if wanted in e cigs 

18 hours ago, PEE TEE said:

interesting can you name them

Research from The Johns Hopkins University on vape ingredients published in October 2021 reveals thousands of chemical ingredients in vape products, most of which are not yet identified. Among those the team could identify were several potentially harmful substances, including caffeine, three chemicals never previously found in e-cigarettes, a pesticide and two flavorings linked with possible toxic effects and respiratory irritation.”

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/wellness-and-prevention/5-truths-you-need-to-know-about-vaping

Read the article for more information. Vaping is not nearly as innocent as many will have you believe.

13 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

Not as offensive as the toxic fumes that spew out of vehicle exhaust pipes considering the differences in apertures Mr. Geoffggi. Do you drive a vehicle, or have you ever smoked? I ask because, in my experience, the ex-smokers winge ten times more about smokers than non-smokers ever do.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Well you could take your own advice, which is I think, stop breathing.

I've got no problem with people igniting questionable liquids and inhaling the resulting smoke. Freedom of choice. Just don't do it where it affects others, especially children, the elderly, those with health issues.

I mean you're free to masturbate all you want in private, but (I hope) you're not doing it in public.

For probably the millionth time:  It's not smoke Boomer!

10 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Not as offensive as the toxic fumes that spew out of vehicle exhaust pipes considering the differences in apertures Mr. Geoffggi. Do you drive a vehicle, or have you ever smoked? I ask because, in my experience, the ex-smokers winge ten times more about smokers than non-smokers ever do.

I am an ex-smoker and I don’t think I’m ‘winging’ (as you put it) when I complain about cigarette smoke. When I’m standing at a bus stop and someone lights up a smoke right next to me, am I not allowed to complain? When I’m sitting in the park, enjoying the sunshine, and someone sits down next to me and lights a cigarette, am I not allowed to complain? Those people are directly jeopardizing my health, or didn’t you know how harmful second hand smoke can be?

And this is a thread about (e-)cigarettes, not about toxic fumes from cars.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rudi49jr said:

I am an ex-smoker and I don’t think I’m ‘winging’ (as you put it) when I complain about cigarette smoke. When I’m standing at a bus stop and someone lights up a smoke right next to me, am I not allowed to complain? When I’m sitting in the park, enjoying the sunshine, and someone sits down next to me and lights a cigarette, am I not allowed to complain? Those people are directly jeopardizing my health, or didn’t you know how harmful second hand smoke can be?

And this is a thread about (e-)cigarettes, not about toxic fumes from cars.

And tbh the thread's not about cigarettes either!

17 hours ago, rudi49jr said:

Research from The Johns Hopkins University on vape ingredients published in October 2021 reveals thousands of chemical ingredients in vape products, most of which are not yet identified. Among those the team could identify were several potentially harmful substances, including caffeine, three chemicals never previously found in e-cigarettes, a pesticide and two flavorings linked with possible toxic effects and respiratory irritation.”

Read the article for more information. Vaping is not nearly as innocent as many will have you believe.

Those chemicals, if they exist in e-juice, are at extremely low levels.  They are in fact in the home, office, and malls you visit. Poisoning is not only about the toxin, but also dose, frequency, and length of exposure.  Nobody is claiming they are innocent, just much less toxic than cigarettes which after all still take decades to kill.  Even water can kill if polluted.

5 hours ago, PEE TEE said:

interesting can you name them

It surprises me (or even not) that you don't know that. Taking Paracetamol eg you are not asking for side effects? 

Remarkable!

So read:  aerosol contains a cocktail of nicotine, toxic metals, propylene glycol and glycerol, flavorings, and other chemicals that can reach deep into the lungs. Some of these substances are suspected to cause cancer, and some are linked to other lung diseases (such as acute lung injury) that have put several people in intensive care units (ICUs) with respiratory failure.

I will not bother you with chemical details you might have difficulties to understand.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Stubby said:

Well I am an x smoker for about 10 years but I don't mind at all if a smoker lites up next to me as long he does not blow it into my face and yes I am talking about outside.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, sawadee1947 said:

Common way to point to others. 

We are only talking about eCigarettes, isn't it?

And it's not about to take your own personal risk but exploiting health systems.

It is simply about someone smoking and blowing it my way to me.  I am not into the big conspiracy theory.

17 hours ago, sawadee1947 said:

As long it's only water .......

However, many or most use harmful and cancer causing flavour ingredients. ????

It is not water , It is glycerine and propylene glycol . The glycerine is the visible smoke , but holds nearly no flavor and evaporates at higher temp . The prop glycol is not visible but holds flavors very well and reduces the boiling temperature . The flavors used should be non harmful , they can't be oil based ( or you get what they call popcorn lungs , and there have been cases before of it happening ) . The flavors are many times the same they use in cooking products . So if you can cook with them , basically the same elements you smell are the same used in vaping , only at different amount and different solvent used .

I did vape for a few years , but thx to the ban in Thailand i had to switch each time in Thailand back to regular cigs and at 1 point , i couldn't switch back to vaping again ( unfortunate). I can tell you from personal experience that it is a lot better to vape then to smoke . For taste , smell , color of skin , fresh breath , lung capacity ...

In causing cancer it off course can't be known like that but let me explain it to you different . With smoking , you burn stuff . Burning stuff breaks down organic material into different components , which are not there before . With vaping you do not burn , you boil . With boiling , the original components stay the same , only at different state , which is much better controlled on what is in that vapor , dangerous or not .

9 hours ago, sawadee1947 said:

It surprises me (or even not) that you don't know that. Taking Paracetamol eg you are not asking for side effects? 

Remarkable!

So read:  aerosol contains a cocktail of nicotine, toxic metals, propylene glycol and glycerol, flavorings, and other chemicals that can reach deep into the lungs. Some of these substances are suspected to cause cancer, and some are linked to other lung diseases (such as acute lung injury) that have put several people in intensive care units (ICUs) with respiratory failure.

I will not bother you with chemical details you might have difficulties to understand.

Yes but it is largely vague unsubstantiated rubbish.

13 hours ago, rudi49jr said:

I am an ex-smoker and I don’t think I’m ‘winging’ (as you put it) when I complain about cigarette smoke. When I’m standing at a bus stop and someone lights up a smoke right next to me, am I not allowed to complain? When I’m sitting in the park, enjoying the sunshine, and someone sits down next to me and lights a cigarette, am I not allowed to complain? Those people are directly jeopardizing my health, or didn’t you know how harmful second hand smoke can be? And this is a thread about (e-)cigarettes, not about toxic fumes from cars.

I thought so. No disrespect, but ex-smokers stand out a mile with their anti-smoking rhetoric. And you're right; this thread is about e-cigarettes. But your complaint is about how harmful they are to non-smokers, and vaping is a smoking alternative. 

But I say HOW DARE those who jump in cars and on motorbikes for short trips complain about a tiny furl of steam drifting upwards from an e-cigarette... from the neck up—not the ground. 

SELFISH VAPERS... REALLY?

The same people who gripe about vapers force pedestrians to breathe in their lovely cocktail of vehicle fumes from big fat exhaust pipes. But do we call to ban all cars, motorcycles, trucks, and busses, or limit their use to only essential journeys? No, we don't, the complaint is about poor air quality in general, which the above contribute to. 

THINK PERSPECTIVE 

On the scope of things, I would say that a bit of steam from some random vapor registers less on the pollution radar than bad breath. So, if you're worried about inhaling toxic air, you may want to target your objection to the real culprits and leave the vapers be. It's just a thought.

These are the reasons I think the minister is right to urge the authorities to revise e-cigarette use in Thailand. 

"When you point one finger, three fingers point back to you." ~ Native American proverb.

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, mommysboy said:

Yes but it is largely vague unsubstantiated rubbish.

Obviously you trust the product's adverts more than science. 

Good Luck. 

Getting Lung cancer you might blame the producer. 

I hope Thailand will ban those rubbish forever ????

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 4/30/2022 at 7:30 AM, Geoffggi said:

As you say this is your opinion, I do know many non-smokers who also are offended by these items so I do feel I am allowed to use the plural in my description; maybe you will find the attached interesting - https://tobacco.ucsf.edu/more-evidence-e-cigarettes-pollute-air-and-expose-bystanders

That's a bit of a 'light weight' article isn't it. It hardly sends chills down the spine.

More interesting and relevant IMO is this one from the NHS UK which endorses the use of Vapes as an aid to quitting smoking and gives lots of advise on how to do so. And even better, what about this from the UK Government E-ciggies on prescription.

I'm backing this guy, even if he is from the 'wrong ministry department'.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2022 at 9:41 AM, mtls2005 said:
On 4/30/2022 at 2:27 AM, webfact said:

Digital Economy and Society (DES) Minister Chaiwut Thanakmanusorn

On 4/30/2022 at 9:41 AM, mtls2005 said:

Huh?

Is the "Society" part all encompassing? Or just as it applies to digital stuff?

Why is this chap even speaking?

I mean 90% of the rigs and supplies are probably sold via FB and the innerwebs, but maybe he should focus on other thailand 4.0?

Which part of Digital Economy and Society do you not understand?

Vaping may not be anything to do with the digital economy, but it surely is a societal issue. Mr. Chaiwut is talking a great deal of common sense, certainly more so than Anutin.

26 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Vaping may not be anything to do with the digital economy,

Popular because it is illegal?  And therefore cool?????

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Confused 2