British press support UK pensioners losing out in Thailand

webfact

8 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

The full state pension is about 10 000 per year and the yearly tax free allowance is about 12 000 per year

You don't know what the full state pension is, varies  enormously.

If I was getting the full amount it would  be just short of the current allowance of £12,700. During my working life I came across many earning a great deal more than i did, their pension will be much higher than mine.

5 minutes ago, Surasak said:

That would possibly work if set up before leaving the UK. If you have been away for any length of time and then attempt the same, you will get the third degree to prove you intend to stay in the UK. This is done in person in the UK. Plus, what you suggest is in fact, fraud!

Why do you need to 'tell' them you have been away for any length of time, passports are not mandatory so no need to show one, I knew a bloke was away for years, he had worked from aged 15 - 52 in the UK paying NI and Tax, told them he had been living hand to mouth doing cash jobs in the uk when asked ''so what have you been doing for the last 5 yrs with no contributions ?'', with no fixed abode. Yes it is fraud but only on the increases, you are still entitled to a pension, funny thing is he moved back to UK after a few years, now gets rent payed, free taxi to hospitals, bus pass + more benefits.  

2 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

Indeed, and an expat taken ill and requiring ongoing NHS care when visiting the UK would be charged 150% of the actual cost, their 40 years of NI Contributions and current income tax liability, with more being dragged into the 40% bracket, count for nothing every year.

But how does a NHS hospital know you don't live in the UK ? 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, sandyf said:

You don't know what the full state pension is, varies  enormously.

If I was getting the full amount it would  be just short of the current allowance of £12,700. During my working life I came across many earning a great deal more than i did, their pension will be much higher than mine.

Those would be private pensions, that state pension is a fixed amount 

People are supposed to know the law and act accordingly.
Once I met a German pensioner in Indonesia, and he told me he had to go back for X months every year to keep his pension alive.

I'm glad I never contributed to any pension system, and am taking care of this myself. I reckon it may be slightly higher risk...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

"For example, a single pensioner who retired in late 1982 after having made the full contributions would be getting £32.85 a week, or £1,708 a year, if their pension were frozen then. If they had stayed in Britain, they would now be getting £141.85 a week, or £7,376 a year"

Slight extreme example, that would make them about 105, many in Thailand that age?

I’m 76 and have been here 7 years. My state pension is now over £2,000 a year less than it should be

I know nothing will get done about this, especially now as it would cost too much, especially when the government is trying to make savings to offset the costs incurred through Covid. 

But, what makes me laugh is this 500,000 expats. The overseas pension desk has no idea how many it actually is. They only know of those who’ve notified them of their move abroad, and, from my correspondence with them, it’s clear they are making little effort to track down the others. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Andycoops said:

It's just pure hypocrisy, you can live overseas as I do in Thailand but still pay income tax for services you never use but can't get an increase on your pension despite having paid in for 40 years.

A very sad state of affairs.

Yes like many I have a Private Pension, the State Pension ‘uses’ up most of my Tax Allowance leaving a small amount which is not enough and my PP is taxed.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Its better if the pensioners go elsewhere , free up housing for people who work .

People who work , earn and pay and contribute to the economy , rather than pensioners who live cheaply and get lots of things for free

What do you think do pensioners with their money? They spent it. I.e. they spent it in local shops which is good for those shops. And the shops employ people and pay taxes. The the things which they get for free? They are not really free. Someone, likely the tax payers, pay for that. And the money which they pay is payed to companies and people in the country, again those companies employ people, pay taxes, etc. The money goes round and round. Except if people get the money from country A and spend it in country B.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

What do you think do pensioners with their money? They spent it. I.e. they spent it in local shops which is good for those shops. And the shops employ people and pay taxes. The the things which they get for free? They are not really free. Someone, likely the tax payers, pay for that. And the money which they pay is payed to companies and people in the country, again those companies employ people, pay taxes, etc. The money goes round and round. Except if people get the money from country A and spend it in country B.

But there's a housing shortage in the U.K and thrifty pensioners take up wanted housing space .

The housing would be better lived in by tax /rent paying people who work , earn money and contribute to the local economy, rather than pensioners spending their meagre income on the basics