British press support UK pensioners losing out in Thailand

webfact

10 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

your the one who started with the ego post because (lol) 3 rentals. 

And your the one telling people they don't deserve a uk pension increase.

and should find other pensions or funds to in vest in.

As for your sheltered upbringing comment. what a joke you are.

• Like 1

I understand when pensioners from any country want to receive as much money as possible anywhere they live.

But on the other hand it makes a huge difference for a country if they give money to people and those people spend it within their own country or in a country far away.

I don't know the statistics but I guess 20 years ago or more there were not many people who retired in another country and they lived on state pensions. Now that seems to be more common.

How was and is that state pension scheme designed? Does it only "work" if money is paid and spent in the home country of the pensioner? 

And what do the working people think about this? After all, they pay the pensions. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Truly an abomination, and a boil on the face of British society. Sour grapes? How dare you leave for greener pastures elsewhere? 

There is a housing shortage in the U.K and its better for all if pensioners go to other Countries to live , it frees up much needed housing and cuts down on NHS and care costs  . 

UK pensioners enjoy living beyond their means in third World Countries , they are rich there instead of being poor in the U.K.

What more do they want ? 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 4

Just now, Mac Mickmanus said:

There is a housing shortage in the U.K and its better for all if pensioners go to other Countries to live , it frees up much needed housing and cuts down on NHS and care costs  . 

UK pensioners enjoy living beyond their means in third World Countries , they are rich there instead of being poor in the U.K.

What more do they want ? 

You would think immigration would be controlled better on that premise. 

Here in Thailand, some survive but struggle mostly on a State pension, a cost of living increase would help them out, and maybe keep them out!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I understand when pensioners from any country want to receive as much money as possible anywhere they live.

But on the other hand it makes a huge difference for a country if they give money to people and those people spend it within their own country or in a country far away.

I don't know the statistics but I guess 20 years ago or more there were not many people who retired in another country and they lived on state pensions. Now that seems to be more common.

How was and is that state pension scheme designed? Does it only "work" if money is paid and spent in the home country of the pensioner? 

And what do the working people think about this? After all, they pay the pensions. 

Its better if the pensioners go elsewhere , free up housing for people who work .

People who work , earn and pay and contribute to the economy , rather than pensioners who live cheaply and get lots of things for free

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, LivinLOS said:

Plus UK pension input can be an absolute pittance standard class 2 self employed stamp in the UK is 3:15 a week !! 163 quid a year and you can claim a pension with 10 years contribution.. a full pension with 35 years.. And then you think this is going to pay out 1000s a year for 20 30 years index linked ? Do the math !! 

what about the class 4 NI contributions (10.25%) they have to pay as well, or are you suggesting they live on the £9,881, which is the figure when the self employed start paying class 4 NI, yes a 2nd wage earner could get a pension after paying a minimum of 10 years NI, @class 2 rates, but a main wage earner could not survive on £9881 a year

22 minutes ago, neverere said:

The UK is no longer part of the EU. Try to keep up.

Same same but  Different?  No same same but offshore. It's about attitude not what's on paper.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

In regards to this threads headline .

Which press/media in the UK are they referring to ?

Who reported this issue ?

This is the report in the Daily Mail:

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/pensions/article-10735831/Frozen-overseas-state-pensions-Nurse-aged-100-Australia-gets-just-46-week.html

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Some of the oldest ‘frozen pensioners’ are receiving payments of only £30 to £40 a week, which never go up.

Should read some of the daftest pensioners who cannot be bothered to go back to the UK to reset their pension to current amounts

• Like 2

I took early retirement and receive only 70% of GB pension, which is of course frozen. I have never bothered to ask that even if expats did start receiving increases would that also apply to those like me?

5 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

You pay income tax for money received in the U.K and if you just receive a UK pension, you wouldn't be paying income tax

Your state pension can be higher than the allowance.

28 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

A rise in pensions for expats living in the countries that don't allow it, 

is never going to happen , as the UK government dont give a s#it about

us, 

It is probably more about that money leaving the UK economy. Rather than the system not caring. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Surasak said:

That would possibly work if set up before leaving the UK. If you have been away for any length of time and then attempt the same, you will get the third degree to prove you intend to stay in the UK. This is done in person in the UK. Plus, what you suggest is in fact, fraud!

Fraud seems to be acceptable to quite a few from what I read. I guess those that resort to that don't help the case of the majority that don't.

Anyway, can I expect my UK pension to more than double now it has the attention of the press in the UK?

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Your state pension can be higher than the allowance.

Possible I suppose, but that would be over £240 a week, I'm not sure that many get that.

As you'll be aware, but maybe @Mac Mickmanus isn't, the Personal Allowance is reduced by the total of the State Pension, thus ensuring, those with maybe an occupational pension, pay tax on their total pension income.

I know a number of people who actually pay more tax than their State Pension on their total pension income.  

38 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

I get the grand total of 90 quid a week ,but maybe that's all I deserve,

self employed all my working life, retired at 42 , it's a good job I am a

saver and provided for my self , it must be desperate times for many

people , low interest rates on their savings , fixed pension , terrible

exchange rates for Sterling , could it get worse ? , maybe having to

return to UK , God forbid .

A rise in pensions for expats living in the countries that don't allow it, 

is never going to happen , as the UK government dont give a s#it about

us, 

regards worgeordie    sorry for the way this has come out , not how I typed it, always happens with a long post ????

Aw, spoilt my morning. Was just working what to spend the increase on next.

• Haha 1