British martial arts champion fighting for his life after motorbike crash in Thailand

webfact

6 hours ago, justaphase said:

And riding a motorbike without a licence would make any insurance invalid.  It was also songraan, had he been drinking before ?

You are correct, the requirements for a insurance to be valid, is valid license, and not braking any rules and laws if have an accident on motorbike.

Edited by Hummin

17 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Are you serious, OMF?

Definition of fine-print: Small print or mouse-print is less noticeable because it's considerably smaller than the more obvious larger print it accompanies that advertises the product or service. But it doesn't end there.

A SCAM BY ANY OTHER NAME

Everyone knows why small print exists, right? And not only that, the deliberate legal jargon often used is incomprehensible to most. Moreover, it has insanely long sentences, and some policies have a higher word count than a freaking novel. 

It's a disgraceful practice that should be illegal. Indeed, authorities should force insurers to enlarge the font and shorten the terms and conditions by removing the unnecessary legalese and jargon. Here's an idea; insurers improve the readability of their terms & conditions so that every literate person can understand them. But they won't, and we all know why.

WHAT THE HECK AM I TALKING ABOUT?

OK, here's a typical extract from a vehicle insurance policy that runs to tens of pages:

We do not insure for such loss regardless of: (a) the cause of the excluded event; or (b) other causes of the loss; or (c) whether other causes acted concurrently or in any sequence with the excluded event to produce the loss; or (d) whether the event occurs suddenly or gradually, or blah, blah, blah' ... (my addition at the end).

Is it any wonder why people who thought they had coverage—like the chap in the hospital here—end up on sites like GoFundMe?

Stubby

Many years ago in a country far away I was an agent for private health insurances - about 40 different companies with multiple contracts. That was still the time when information was printed and not online.

Each insurance could print maybe 10 pages in small print or the alternative would have been to print it all in normal size and then it would have been maybe 20 or more pages.

I think it is obvious that the marketing text and the legal text are different. The marketing text gives the customers a rough overview and the legal text explains many details. And obviously there must be legally binding text with lots of details. How else should insurance companies do that? No legal text? No details? That's impossible.

I also don't like to spend the time and effort but I actually read the small print from the important insurances which I have like i.e. the health insurance. And obviously I don't choose the cheapest insurance and hope they pay the same as the expensive insurance. It doesn't work like that.

And what's the alternative? Hoping all will be fine and reading the fine-print when you are in the ICU? That doesn't sound like a smart idea to me.

• Like 2

On 5/3/2022 at 5:24 AM, SAFETY FIRST said:

Thailand is not to blame. 

It's the unqualified and unskilled users. 

Accountability.

Why make this pointless comment? 

funny you should say that because a similar thing happened recently in Bali to an Aussie mum of one when she "just popped out" to get something for bubba. 

Aussie news reported that she was "an experienced motorcycle rider with a valid International Driving Permit".

that don't mean jack around these parts.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chalawaan said:

using a scooter in Koh Lanta, where it's relatively safe

Using a bike anywhere in a tourist place with few vehicles on the road, especially at night, is a big risk.

Because lots of people are confused if they should ride on the left or right side of the road. Maybe they are tired (or worse) and just ride like at home - whatever that side of the road that is.

And then, when someone comes from the other direction on the same lane, people are confused who is on the correct lane. A perfect receipt for bad things to happen.

Some comments about his boxing skills, that will never defeat a pickup vs motorcycle/motorsyke, also discussions on third party insurance good luck with that one when you are a foreigner and a Thai person runs you over.
Some good advice on this thread is just DON'T drive in Thailand, accept the Tuk Tuk Mafia fees and stay alive for the bonus payment to them ???? honestly this has helped me stay alive for years!
I am back to Thailand at Christmas, three years in the Philippines because of this virus thing - I need a holiday ????

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I have been riding motorbikes on and off road for over fifty years however, I would never get on a motorbike in Thailand. You are tempting fate (injury, death) when you get on that bike. No matter how many years you have been driving and no matter how good a rider you are, the odds will catch up to you. Its only  a matter of time.

elephant.jpg

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/3/2022 at 5:24 AM, SAFETY FIRST said:

Thailand is not to blame. 

It's the unqualified and unskilled users. 

Accountability.

Why make this pointless comment? 

Who's responsible for the driving test in Thailand? The only reason I've heard for not having the test on the road is because its too dangerous. The fact that those same people are then given a licence even though its too dangerous for them to drive on the road would seem to be illogical. 

On 5/8/2022 at 5:18 AM, PomPolo said:

Some good advice on this thread is just DON'T drive in Thailand, accept the Tuk Tuk Mafia fees and stay alive for the bonus payment to them ???? honestly this has helped me stay alive for years!

Please come out from under the pillow.

22 years driving and riding in Thailand.  guess i'm just lucky.  :coffee1:

------

You must just be super cool then and invincible, good luck on the next 22 years ????

• Confused 1

On 5/8/2022 at 8:42 AM, Orinoco said:

Please forward me your details and I will set up a gofundme when your luck runs out ????

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, PomPolo said:

Please forward me your details and I will set up a gofundme when your luck runs out ????

That's jolly nice of you.

But i won't require a go fund me,  ever.

wounder why that would be. ?

I give you a clue, it's got nothing to do with luck.

On 5/8/2022 at 4:06 PM, kimamey said:

The fact that those same people are then given a licence even though its too dangerous for them to drive on the road

Yep, this is a whole different argument. 

Allowing the incompetent to drive/ride on public roads. 

They're a menace to all road users. 

• Like 1

On 5/8/2022 at 7:42 AM, Orinoco said:

Also 20+ years operating bicycles, scooter, motorcycles, cars and also lucky.  Amazing how lucky one can be when operating responsibly, almost within law, and using simple defensive driving skills. :coffee1:

Edited by Jotnar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/3/2022 at 6:45 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

That is only partly true.

In Thailand is little to no enforcement of many (traffic) rules. When people drive bad in other countries they often have to pay a lot of money. They don't want to pay a lot of money so they learn and drive more according to the rules.

In Thailand people break the rules. And they learn there are no consequences. And then they break the rules more often etc.

So maybe he was breaking some basic rules after living here for 9 months, in Pattaya some of the old Farang fools I see on motorcycles are certainly not riding responsibly.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Broken Record said:

So maybe he was breaking some basic rules after living here for 9 months, in Pattaya some of the old Farang fools I see on motorcycles are certainly not riding responsibly.

Considering 'per capita' on the idiot meter, it's embarrassing how many farangs drive irresponsibly, especially on scooters without a helmet.  Find it extremely hypocritical, when Thai drivers get bashed on the forum.

• Thanks 1

What happens if he can't pay and there are no relatives around? (asking for a friend ????‍♂️).

Does the hospital just stabilize him and discharge him out, or do they even admit him at all? Or is he sent to some gov't hospital for people without insurance?

They must need to do something if he shows up injured in an ambulance, other then place him at the nearest bus stop.

Edited by JimTripper

4 hours ago, JimTripper said:

What happens if he can't pay and there are no relatives around? (asking for a friend ????‍♂️).

Does the hospital just stabilize him and discharge him out, or do they even admit him at all? Or is he sent to some gov't hospital for people without insurance?

They must need to do something if he shows up injured in an ambulance, other then place him at the nearest bus stop.

it seems they do the minimum so you either need good insurance or have plenty of cash available in an emergency. Pleading you're a pensioner and don't have money just won't cut it

Edited by scubascuba3

On 5/10/2022 at 9:41 AM, Broken Record said:

They pick up bad habits from their Thai wives...... you really can't beat them, so may as well join them!